Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bkfraiders7

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2011
Looks like the XS only gives $700, while the XS Max gives $1000. I hope this doesn’t change come Friday. Otherwise, from what the fine print shows, if done through Apple you should be able to trade in at an Apple Store rather than mailing in. I’d much rather do that than risk the horror stories.

gelie

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 7, 2010
The line I’m trading in for is the Ultimate Elite plan.

gelie

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 7, 2010
BTW, I called ATT and they have Zero information on this.

Mr. Y

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2011
If you look at the terms on Apple's website for the AT&T deal, it is a little suspect. You have to be on the installment for the entire 36 months to get the credits spread out over those 36 months. This to me implies they are doing away with the "Next Up" feature for new customers (or existing customers who want the full trade-in credit) in which you pay to upgrade after 50% of the financed price of the phone is paid...

Reactions: philosoraptor1

gelie

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 7, 2010
True But never the less, if ATT is willing to give me 1000 for my Xs Max, seem like a no brainer. I usually hang onto my phones for 3 years.

Reactions: mguzzi

Phil77354

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2014
Pacific Northwest, U.S.
My Xs Max is fully paid off. If I trade it in for a new 13 Pro Max and get the $1000 credit, and have a balance of just $100, then I can simply pay the $100 and have a fully paid-off phone immediately. But would I have a 2 or 3 year commitment anyway?

tiiminbillings

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2021
I have a discussion under another topic about this, got some info over there. To me it seems to be a no brainer, especially if you are paying for the unlimited plan with ATT but still have a 4G LTE phone including the 11.

Reactions: mguzzi

gelie

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 7, 2010
I have a discussion under another topic about this, got some info over there. To me it seems to be a no brainer, especially if you are paying for the unlimited plan with ATT but still have a 4G LTE phone including the 11.
can you send me the link?

Mr. Y

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2011
My Xs Max is fully paid off. If I trade it in for a new 13 Pro Max and get the $1000 credit, and have a balance of just $100, then I can simply pay the $100 and have a fully paid-off phone immediately. But would I have a 2 or 3 year commitment anyway?
Based on the language used in the footnote on Apple's page, you have to maintain the plan for the duration of 36 months or they cancel the credits and you have to pay the balance of the phone: " If you cancel eligible wireless service, credits will stop and you will owe the remaining device balance."
Capture.PNG

Reactions: tiiminbillings

Phil77354

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2014
Pacific Northwest, U.S.
Based on the language used in the footnote on Apple's page, you have to maintain the plan for the duration of 36 months or they cancel the credits and you have to pay the balance of the phone: " If you cancel eligible wireless service, credits will stop and you will owe the remaining device balance." View attachment 1831453
Yes, I am sure you are right. It would be too much to ask, for me to get such a generous trade-in and not have some kind of obligation to AT&T (or whomever I have as a carrier). Thanks.

Reactions: tiiminbillings

mazdamiata210

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2014
It's basically a way to get you locked into a contract. You trade your phone ( which they will give you $1,000 for) but it is applied monthly in bill credits over 36 months. If you sell the phone, trade it, cancel that line, or otherwise remove that phone from your line in any way you will lose the credits and have to pay the balance. Think of it like 2 year contract discounts again basically. You are locked in if you want to get the trade in credits.

lienhart

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2013
It's basically a way to get you locked into a contract. You trade your phone ( which they will give you $1,000 for) but it is applied monthly in bill credits over 36 months. If you sell the phone, trade it, cancel that line, or otherwise remove that phone from your line in any way you will lose the credits and have to pay the balance. Think of it like 2 year contract discounts again basically. You are locked in if you want to get the trade in credits.
Except now you ALSO have to be on the more expensive unlimited plans to take advantage of any of the deals. They want to lock you in and put you at the high tiers of unlimited. I’m on a discounted unlimited plan from awhile ago and to switch would be like $20 more a month… I really hate it.

mazdamiata210

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2014
Except now you ALSO have to be on the more expensive unlimited plans to take advantage of any of the deals. They want to lock you in and put you at the high tiers of unlimited. I’m on a discounted unlimited plan from awhile ago and to switch would be like $20 more a month… I really hate it.

You should recheck that because for me it lowered my bill to go on the higher unlimited plan with autopay enabled. Took $10 each line off my bill

6 lines for $230 a month - 3 lines are the 12 pro max trade in deals from last year

lienhart

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2013
You should recheck that because for me it lowered my bill to go on the higher unlimited plan with autopay enabled. Took $10 each line off my bill

6 lines for $230 a month - 3 lines are the 12 pro max trade in deals from last year
Our current bill at $30/line 4 people so we’re at a pretty low rate right now. Kind of makes it hard to want to switch. We have the autopay and everything enabled already. I would love to get the higher plan but…

Frankie55

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2008
Ann Arbor, MI
my current monthly AT&T bill is $61 before taxes and fees; the unlimited plan i would get is $75 (its the top one but i would get $10 off through work). it looks like to get the 13 Pro 256GB i would have to trade in my XS and then still pay $11/month. so there's an additional $25/month ($14 plan difference plus $11 phone price) total for 36 months, which adds up to $900. i think Apple will pay me $240 for my XS, so just sending it to them and buying the 13 Pro 256GB might be a better deal.

the moral of the story is consider how much an unlimited plan costs when considering this credit. sounds like some people's plan price will go down; others will go up. my work discount is pretty nice on a non-unlimited plan.

clerkpalmer

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2016
Yes. You get the 1000 over 36 months and you cannot get them any other way. If you break the deal they will charge you for the unapplied credits. It’s ATT way of locking you in. And the phone will remain locked to ATT. Edit already answered

protobiont

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2010
my current monthly AT&T bill is $61 before taxes and fees; the unlimited plan i would get is $75 (its the top one but i would get $10 off through work). it looks like to get the 13 Pro 256GB i would have to trade in my XS and then still pay $11/month. so there's an additional $25/month ($14 plan difference plus $11 phone price) total for 36 months, which adds up to $900. i think Apple will pay me $240 for my XS, so just sending it to them and buying the 13 Pro 256GB might be a better deal.

the moral of the story is consider how much an unlimited plan costs when considering this credit. sounds like some people's plan price will go down; others will go up. my work discount is pretty nice on a non-unlimited plan.
Don’t you have to change plans anyway if you want 5g?

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
Laws were passed years ago to prevent cell providers from forcing people into locked cell contracts - and here we are today with some people willingly wanting to sign their lives away with yet another locked down contract

Oridus

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2012
Laws were passed years ago to prevent cell providers from forcing people into locked cell contracts - and here we are today with some people willingly wanting to sign their lives away with yet another locked down contract

It’s not locking anybody into anything. It’s financing the phone over 36 months. If one chooses to leave, they pay the remaining balance of the device, nothing more. As far as the promotions, if the promotion says you get the credit over 36 months, and you willingly agree to that, there’s nothing wrong with that. If one doesn’t want to wait 36 months to receive full credit, there are plenty of other ways to get $$ back for prior iPhones, including trading it back to Apple themselves for a one time credit.

Reactions: gelie and mikeb13

Oridus

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2012
Yes. You get the 1000 over 36 months and you cannot get them any other way. If you break the deal they will charge you for the unapplied credits. It’s ATT way of locking you in. And the phone will remain locked to ATT. Edit already answered

This is partially incorrect.

If you cancel the line, or have the line suspended/ cancelled due to non payment, the credits will drop… however any credits you have already received will not be charged back.

Also, if one wishes to pay off the phone before the installment plan is done, they’re welcome to. This will allow them to unlock the phone. If they do it BEFORE promotional credits hit, the credits will not apply. If they do it AFTER credits start applying, credits will remain until:

A) promotion ends after 36 months
B) line is cancelled
C) a new installment plan is started on a line that has had the device paid off but the promotional credits are still being applied monthly
D)(edit: forgot to add) If you cancel service on any other line on your account within 90 days of activating the line under this offer, device credits will stop.

Note: the terms and conditions say credits may cease if device installments paid early, however have not had issues with this and have not seen evidence that this happens.

Last edited:
Reactions: overfedexed
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.