Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Drag'nGT

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2008
If you buy online they will send kit for you to mail back. If you buy in store then you just trade in there when purchasing.
I might prefer getting the evaluation done in store and having the promo applied. Will there be iPhones in local Apple stores on the 24th?

Rugburn

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2014
I went through that same situation today when setting up my pre-order. AT&T has changed their unlimited elite plan...sort of. I had the first Unlimited Elite plan whereby you pay for the plan (which includes 1 line) and each subsequent line for a lesser price. Now, they have unlimited elite "your way." Technically line each you on your account can have a different plan (one could be elite, the others starter for example). You don't qualify for the $1000 trade in however if all lines are not on the unlimited elite plan. Bottom line, if you go to AT&T and change your current unlimited elite plan to the new unlimited elite plan(every line on your account) the cost is exactly the same. The $1000 trade-in only works with the new unlimited elite plan from AT&T. I made the change this morning and I was immediately able to complete my pre-order.

To be clear, I made the change through AT&T first, then went back to the Apple site to place my preorder.
I have 5 lines of the Unlimited Your Way. Four of them are the Unlimited Starter for $35. And it is one of those lines that wants to take advantage of the $1000 trade in deal. I've Chatted with At&T twice to confirm and they said my Unlimited Starter plans DO qualify.

Good deal, because if I had to upgrade those 4 plans unnecessarily it would have eaten though the savings!

Reactions: rxtiger

citivolus

macrumors 65816
Sep 19, 2008
To clarify, if I'm on AT&T and it's saying that you trade-in directly with Apple, when I get the kit to send in the trade, would I be sending it directly back to Apple? Reason being, I have more confidence in Apple not screwing something up than I do AT&T.
Just confirmed that for those seeking to get the AT&T promotion, you will be trading it in with Apple and not AT&T.

I found this info on Apple's website in the pre-order checkout page here: See how trade-in works

How to trade in with special carrier deals:​

AT&T Special Trade-in Deal
To get the deal, you will trade in directly with Apple online or in the store.

Reactions: mikeb13

PCtoMAC1

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2012
I went through that same situation today when setting up my pre-order. AT&T has changed their unlimited elite plan...sort of. I had the first Unlimited Elite plan whereby you pay for the plan (which includes 1 line) and each subsequent line for a lesser price. Now, they have unlimited elite "your way." Technically line each you on your account can have a different plan (one could be elite, the others starter for example). You don't qualify for the $1000 trade in however if all lines are not on the unlimited elite plan. Bottom line, if you go to AT&T and change your current unlimited elite plan to the new unlimited elite plan(every line on your account) the cost is exactly the same. The $1000 trade-in only works with the new unlimited elite plan from AT&T. I made the change this morning and I was immediately able to complete my pre-order.

To be clear, I made the change through AT&T first, then went back to the Apple site to place my preorder.

This!!!! It took several hours, but this was the case for me as well!

Daddymalu

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2016
I know this is probably answered already but just to clarify, if we take the $1000 credit over 36 months and decide to upgrade again next year, we would lose the credits for 24 months because we are getting rid of iphone 13 pro max next year?

kukheart

macrumors 6502
Aug 22, 2003
Dallas
Just confirmed that for those seeking to get the AT&T promotion, you will be trading it in with Apple and not AT&T.

I found this info on Apple's website in the pre-order checkout page here: See how trade-in works

How to trade in with special carrier deals:​

AT&T Special Trade-in Deal
To get the deal, you will trade in directly with Apple online or in the store.
Thank You, I'd rather much deal with Apple than go into an ATT Store. Upgrading my wife's 8+ to a 13. I'm still debating if I want to upgrade my XR though. Guess see how much the ATT plan upgrade will give me.

Wags

macrumors 68020
Mar 5, 2006
Nebraska, USA
I know this is probably answered already but just to clarify, if we take the $1000 credit over 36 months and decide to upgrade again next year, we would lose the credits for 24 months because we are getting rid of iphone 13 pro max next year?
Yes. Would need to pay off balance remaining.

davidgolfer

macrumors regular
Dec 1, 2015
When I go on apple site to do a trade in for ATT iphone 11 pro max to 13 pro max only shows $500 credit. On ATT site it is giving me the $1000 credit but wont let it proceed until tomorrow. Anyone else seen this?

Wags

macrumors 68020
Mar 5, 2006
Nebraska, USA
When I go on apple site to do a trade in for ATT iphone 11 pro max to 13 pro max only shows $500 credit. On ATT site it is giving me the $1000 credit but wont let it proceed until tomorrow. Anyone else seen this?
Are you selecting trade in? Need to select, no. That is for Apple trade in. Not ATT. Select ATT promo on next screen.

CaptMarvel

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2014
North Carolina
Make sure you pick your AppleCare option and then you should be able to proceed to the next screen. If you picked trade in, you should still be able to advance, pick your updated AT&T plan and then see your $1000 credit even on the Apple app/site. Lastly, make sure your bill is current and your device you wish to trade is eligible (paid off or paid up to the percentage required to trade).

Reactions: davidgolfer

iKimm

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2010
$2.75 x 36 = $99
13 Pro Max 256 GB =1199

Am I missing something?
They give you monthly credits over 30 or 36 months. Once you upgrade to a new phone the credits are over. I am done doing it through ATT and going through Apple directly. They are giving me $790 for my 12 pro max and that is what the payoff is on my ATT Next. Every year it is a nightmare getting the phone returned to ATT. Last year they said they did not receive my phone or my sons phone. Thank goodness I had the post office receipts to show that it was returned. It was such a mess getting them to credit me. I finally got it but it took a lot of time. So frustrating! It is only worth it if you plan to keep your phone and not do any upgrades over the next 3 years ?? I like to upgrade every year.

Reactions: Tikatika

Timenprayer

macrumors member
Nov 1, 2011

I had this exact issue when I tried to pre pre order using the Apple Store app. Once I went on the website on my Mac, it worked. You do not select that you have a phone to trade in with Apple, however. Once I got the screens where it had me verify my ATT account, it picked up the trade-in and the $100 credit.

But before that, when I selected that I DID have a phone to trade into Apple, I was only getting $500 trade-in credit and $500 in credits from ATT. It was the weirdest thing and I was very confused.

Steve686

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2007
US>FL>Miami/Dade>Sunny Isles Beach>Condo
My Xs Max is fully paid off. If I trade it in for a new 13 Pro Max and get the $1000 credit, and have a balance of just $100, then I can simply pay the $100 and have a fully paid-off phone immediately. But would I have a 2 or 3 year commitment anyway?

I think I've read that after 3 billing cycles they credit your account monthly. For how many months, I'm not sure, and you aren't getting $1000 for an Xs Max. It is "up to" $1000. Even for my 11ProMax I am getting &700 if I decide to trade it in.

runtohell121

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2010

My four (4) lines are all on Unlimited Elite (SM); $160/mo on autopay, never changed... So I'm a bit confused on why that's not consider Unlimited Elite.

overfedexed

macrumors regular
Jan 1, 2014
Just a heads up for those with And More Premium plans.
The Apple system let me upgrade and it said that my plan would not have to change. This old plan is/was a non 5G plan.

I got my daughters an iPhone 12 each last year, then sometime later AT&T switched just their lines to 5G with an extra monthly charge???
I chatted with them and they removed the charges. I have not seen anything extra since.

Finally, on the Apple site it said that they’d give me $1000 trade in credits for each of my 11 Pro Max’s.
Of course Apple has not received them yet, but they’re in perfect shape so I should get the full $1000 each.
Last year when I traded in an iPhone 8 and xR for $800 each, I had no problem getting the full amount. I did take them into the AT&T store though and got the phones qualified/traded in right in front of me which was great!

Last edited:

rxtiger

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2010
Has anyone gotten confirmation from AT&T that credits will start? Apple acknowledged and granted the full credit for my trade-in about a week ago. I know it may take 1-3 billing cycles with AT&T, but didn't know if they would send a text or email confirming.

overfedexed

macrumors regular
Jan 1, 2014
Has anyone gotten confirmation from AT&T that credits will start? Apple acknowledged and granted the full credit for my trade-in about a week ago. I know it may take 1-3 billing cycles with AT&T, but didn't know if they would send a text or email confirming.
YES! I just got a text from AT&T saying that my credits for my two 13PM's will be applied immediately starting with this bill which is Oct 22nd.
ATT credit text.PNG

I was able to pull the bill up and both lines showed a $27.78 credit per month, #1 of 36.

They did charge me a $30 upgrade fee times two, but I usually get it waived or at least cut in half. FAN account.

Here's my timeline and the whole experience was great!
So I received my two iPhone 13PM's on launch day Sept 24th
Shipped my two trade in 11PM's on Monday Oct 4th
They received and approved the trade-ins for full value of $1000 each on Thur. Oct 7th
and sent me an email confirming this.
Today I got my AT&T informing me of the phone credits that are effective Oct 22nd.
I checked the bill and the credits are there.
So one billing cycle more or less.

Last edited:
Reactions: rxtiger
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.