Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

island

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2007
Nashville
This is partially incorrect.

If you cancel the line, or have the line suspended/ cancelled due to non payment, the credits will drop… however any credits you have already received will not be charged back.

Also, if one wishes to pay off the phone before the installment plan is done, they’re welcome to. This will allow them to unlock the phone. If they do it BEFORE promotional credits hit, the credits will not apply. If they do it AFTER credits start applying, credits will remain until:

A) promotion ends after 36 months
B) line is cancelled
C) a new installment plan is started on a line that has had the device paid off but the promotional credits are still being applied monthly.

The wording from AT&T says it can take a few months before the credits kick in.

To clarify, we would have to wait until the first credit hits before paying off the phone to unlock it - otherwise risk losing all the credits?

Oridus

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2012
The wording from AT&T says it can take a few months before the credits kick in.

To clarify, we would have to wait until the first credit hits before paying off the phone to unlock it - otherwise risk losing all the credits?

Yes, this is how it’s always worked for me. There is a part in the t&c’s that is worth to take note of, “If you upgrade or pay up/off the installment agreement on the discounted device early, your credits may cease.”, however I’ve never had an issue with this myself when it comes to payoff, so long as credits are showing.

Last edited:
Reactions: island

Mr. Y

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2011
You should recheck that because for me it lowered my bill to go on the higher unlimited plan with autopay enabled. Took $10 each line off my bill

6 lines for $230 a month - 3 lines are the 12 pro max trade in deals from last year
Same: I went to unlimited elite ans have autopay credits plus HBO Max for free (which was otherwise a separate $15/m charge)

Also, just amazing how these companies found ways back into comitting customers to contracts!

As I said elsewhere, I think I’m going to ride out my 12 Pro 30-month “lease” and upgrade through Apple for the iPhone 14. This way I get a few months of not having to pay for the phone itself, won’t waste money on additional accessories (ie, cases), etc.

Reactions: InAustralia

Crz10

macrumors member
Dec 3, 2020
Question. So does this mean you cannot just switch sim cards in a year or two? If I get a new phone within those 3 years. Or does the 3 year commitment is just for the line to be active?

I hope that makes sense.

Bkfraiders7

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2011
Does switching numbers on the line count? As in using another line’s upgrade and then switching my number to it?

IE, I trade in my XS Max for the 13 Pro Max this year, but next year trade in another line’s 12 for the 14 Pro Max. The 13 Pro Max would transfer to them and I’d get the 14 Pro Max.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Question. So does this mean you cannot just switch sim cards in a year or two? If I get a new phone within those 3 years. Or does the 3 year commitment is just for the line to be active?

I hope that makes sense.

You should be able to swap. I mean if your device breaks, you're gonna have to replace it and they're unlikely to penalize you for that.

You just can't make any plan changes with the line (e.g. upgrade, cancel, etc.).

My guess is if the event triggers an activation/upgrade fee, then that would likely forfeit the credits. SIM swap with fully paid off SIM-free devices wouldn't trigger the upgrade fee.

Reactions: Crz10 and VineRider

coolnwo

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2007
If my family is already on an unlimited plan are we good or do we have to switch plans?

VineRider

macrumors 65816
May 24, 2018
You should be able to swap. I mean if your device breaks, you're gonna have to replace it and they're unlikely to penalize you for that.

You just can't make any plan changes with the line (e.g. upgrade, cancel, etc.).

My guess is if the event triggers an activation/upgrade fee, then that would likely forfeit the credits. SIM swap with fully paid off SIM-free devices wouldn't trigger the upgrade fee.
This makes sense - good summarization...

Wags

macrumors 68020
Mar 5, 2006
Nebraska, USA

I hope that makes sense.
No contract or real commitment. You get the credit monthly as long as the device is active on your account. If not, credits stop and owe balance. Not obligated to keep ATT service for 36 months. No penalty or fee, just owe for device.

Timenprayer

macrumors member
Nov 1, 2011
I did the promo last year to upgrade and I had to trade in with AT&T.

Am I correct that this year, everyone trades in with Apple directly?

And am I also correct that the total credit is up to $1000, but this $1000 includes the trade-in value of whatever device I trade in?

In my case, I’m trading a iPhone 11PM. I can see on the apple store app that it’s valued at $500. I want to get the iPhone 13PM 512GB. The apple store app shows that the total amount financed with ATT will be $899 ($1399-$500). The apple store app quotes that my payments with ATT will be $11.09/month.
$11.09x36 months = $399.24 paid out of pocket.
$899 financed over 36 months would be $24.97/mo.
$24.97-$11.09=$13.88 per month in ATT billing credits. $13.88x36=$499.76.

$500 trade-in credit + $499.76 in ATT billing credits over 36 months =$1000.

Am I doing this math and figuring correctly?

Seems more confusing this year.

Wags

macrumors 68020
Mar 5, 2006
Nebraska, USA
Not doing it correctly. Select ATT as carrier, no trade in and pay monthly. Then select ATT Installment plans on next screen.
You send in device. Get the $1000 over 36 months. Amount financed is the full cost of device. $1399

Last edited:

Timenprayer

macrumors member
Nov 1, 2011
Not doing it correctly. Select ATT as carrier, no trade in and pay monthly. Then select ATT Installment plans on next screen.
You send in device. Get the $1000 over 36 months. Amount financed is the full cost of device. $1399
What about this?

B748D7D7-947D-4F15-8E77-9585AE9C1AC4.jpeg

citivolus

macrumors 65816
Sep 19, 2008
If you buy online they will send kit for you to mail back. If you buy in store then you just trade in there when purchasing.
I’m planning to get this deal by ordering online specifying I want to trade in, disregarding the box mailed to me, and instead take my phone into an Apple store to complete the trade in. Hope this works…?

NativeTxn

macrumors 6502
Feb 11, 2013
To clarify, if I'm on AT&T and it's saying that you trade-in directly with Apple, when I get the kit to send in the trade, would I be sending it directly back to Apple? Reason being, I have more confidence in Apple not screwing something up than I do AT&T.

tiiminbillings

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2021
To clarify, if I'm on AT&T and it's saying that you trade-in directly with Apple, when I get the kit to send in the trade, would I be sending it directly back to Apple? Reason being, I have more confidence in Apple not screwing something up than I do AT&T.
I'm curious also....I've heard horror stories from AT&T's process with old phones.

runtohell121

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2010
For those that attempted to "Get Ready" for checkout on Apple's website, if you're on AT&T Signature Unlimited Elite plan, did it allow you to "Get Ready" without changing the plan? Apple thinks my current Unlimited Elite (SM) isn't an unlimited plan and needs me to change plan in order to qualify for the $1,000 bill credit.

VL_424

macrumors member
Sep 9, 2016
In years past I’ve always done AT&T Next Up (option to trade in device for a new phone when 50% of the device is paid off).

Is this promo applied for default? I didn‘t see any other options when completing my pre-pre order this morning. I would still like to upgrade to the 14 next year but the wording in this promo makes it seem like that may be more difficult to do next go around (iPhone 14)?

Wags

macrumors 68020
Mar 5, 2006
Nebraska, USA
Says Apple is handling. We don’t know for sure yet if that means Apple vendor is doing trade in or going to ATT.

rxtiger

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2010
For those that attempted to "Get Ready" for checkout on Apple's website, if you're on AT&T Signature Unlimited Elite plan, did it allow you to "Get Ready" without changing the plan? Apple thinks my current Unlimited Elite (SM) isn't an unlimited plan and needs me to change plan in order to qualify for the $1,000 bill credit.
I went through that same situation today when setting up my pre-order. AT&T has changed their unlimited elite plan...sort of. I had the first Unlimited Elite plan whereby you pay for the plan (which includes 1 line) and each subsequent line for a lesser price. Now, they have unlimited elite "your way." Technically line each you on your account can have a different plan (one could be elite, the others starter for example). You don't qualify for the $1000 trade in however if all lines are not on the unlimited elite plan. Bottom line, if you go to AT&T and change your current unlimited elite plan to the new unlimited elite plan(every line on your account) the cost is exactly the same. The $1000 trade-in only works with the new unlimited elite plan from AT&T. I made the change this morning and I was immediately able to complete my pre-order.

To be clear, I made the change through AT&T first, then went back to the Apple site to place my preorder.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.