Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MarkC426

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2008
UK
If you can buy a 16 core around 2500 dollars, I think it is ok, but more is a bit too much because the 7.1 has only PCIE 3.0 (when PC are on PCIE 5.0), because AMD RX6000 are now the old gen, because the last intel or AMD CPUs are now by far better than the 2019 xeon... because the Mac studio is better, smaller.
You are joking...£5000+ from EBay UK....🤣

The Mac Studio is not 'necessarily' better......just because it may be faster at certain things.

Mac3Duser

macrumors regular
Aug 26, 2021
You are joking...£5000+ from EBay UK....🤣
Too expensive.
Asking for such a price doesn't mean second hand sellers are actually selling it at that price. Putting more than 2500 dollars/euros in this obsolete machine seems a bit crazy to me.

MarkC426

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2008
UK
Too expensive.
Asking for such a price doesn't mean second hand sellers are actually selling it at that price. Putting more than 2500 dollars/euros in this obsolete machine seems a bit crazy to me.
They are not selling, there are tons on UK site....;)
Maybe with time they will reduce price to move them.

2019 MacPro is not obsolete....by any means.
Any Mac that is NOT upgradeable is more obsolete.

Mac3Duser

macrumors regular
Aug 26, 2021
Ok not really obsolete, but a bit old and expensive (as the 2013 Mac Pro was in 2017-18). Computers never take value with time. And actual technology eats past technologies.
+ some second hands sellers still asking more than 2000dollars/euros for the 6.1

Last edited:

TobiasT

macrumors member
Jan 24, 2019
Buy it, if you want to be a joker!

5ea4fb2926d60c0ddb8cb02cc4cf11ce.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: Canubis

Matty_TypeR

macrumors 6502a
Oct 1, 2016
UK
I Paid £3200 for a 2019 mac pro with 4tb HD 96g ram and w580 gfx also with apple care that runs out end of next year. have since installed a 16c CPU also a 6900xt plus a startech Pcie 16x dual M2 card with dual M2 980pro 1T cards which i boot ventura from along with Win 11. also a high point Gen 2 Pcie 3.1 10-gbs Pcie usb card.

I could have purchased a studio, but all the above upgrades i would not have been able to do, plus any future upgrades like a 7900xtx maybe, or a 28c CPU. even more memory if needed. I also dual boot windows 11 as i also use windows for certain things no VM.

For myself the Mac pro 2019 has been fantastic, and still upgradable if i so choose. unless you can do the above with the new M chip mac pro's i will be sticking with this one for quite some time. And at the moment there is no new Mac pro its just rumours and opinion's and until its spec's are released i dont see any mac pro 2019 going for silly money unless its beaten up like some of the 5.1's look on Auction sites. The 2019 Mac pro is an engineering master piece by Apple.

Last edited:
Reactions: choreo and MarkC426

MarkC426

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2008
UK
i dont see any mac pro 2019 going for silly money unless its beaten up like some of the 5.1's look on Auction sites.
I really don't understand what those people do with their Mac, as you say some of the images are bloomin awful.
My cMP looks in the same condition as it was new (it's a desktop, so why would it be constantly banged around...?).

Matty_TypeR

macrumors 6502a
Oct 1, 2016
UK
I really don't understand what those people do with their Mac, as you say some of the images are bloomin awful.
My cMP looks in the same condition as it was new (it's a desktop, so why would it be constantly banged around...?).
I have 3 Mac pro 5.1's that look like they just came out of the box from new. how some end up so beaten up i jave no idea, i guess some just don't care as long as it boot's.

Reactions: MarkC426

Mac3Duser

macrumors regular
Aug 26, 2021
my point of view: an overpriced intel mac today is not good advice, because Apple can stop, if they want, mac os updates for intel macs and not update the drivers for AMD RX7000 or RX8000 graphics cards.
Precisely to sell the new Mac Pro ASI to professional consumers : security, last version of FCP, better rendering in videos, 3D softwares...
second hands are too expensive, imo

mattspace

macrumors 68040
Jun 5, 2013
Australia
my point of view: an overpriced intel mac today is not good advice, because Apple can stop, if they want, mac os updates for intel macs and not update the drivers for AMD RX7000 or RX8000 graphics cards.
Precisely to sell the new Mac Pro ASI to professional consumers : security, last version of FCP, better rendering in videos, 3D softwares...
second hands are too expensive, imo

on the other hand, they can do all those things to Apple Silicon machines as well (and you can't even use it as a high performance Windows or Linux system afterwards) - and the first generation of a new product are always the ones that get janked fastest.

The 7,1 is still the highest performance mac for certain tasks, and the only one that can drive more than 5 displays.

As for Final Cut, you're probably not going to get new versions of that on Apple Silicon either - it's on its way to join Aperture on a farm.

ZombiePhysicist

macrumors 68030
May 22, 2014
on the other hand, they can do all those things to Apple Silicon machines as well (and you can't even use it as a high performance Windows or Linux system afterwards) - and the first generation of a new product are always the ones that get janked fastest.

The 7,1 is still the highest performance mac for certain tasks, and the only one that can drive more than 5 displays.

As for Final Cut, you're probably not going to get new versions of that on Apple Silicon either - it's on its way to join Aperture on a farm.
And the only one that can drive 8k hdmi displays.

choreo

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2008
Midland, TX
I have as much money tied up in PCI cards and RAM in my 7,1 as I do the Mac itself, so I could not take that big a financial loss to switch even if I wanted to.

4wdwrx

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2012
Do you expect full Windows support with something like Boot Camp coming soon to AS Macs? (Apparently it seems more of a licensing issue of Microsoft, which I am not sure will be solved unless a lot of PCs will also switch to ARM CPUs.) Or is Windows support not relevant for you, are you mainly interested in the expandability of a potential AS Mac Pro?
I think it may be reality in a few years. Microsoft has been releasing to developers "Project Volterra" which is a ARM platform for Windows.

exoticSpice

Suspended
Jan 9, 2022
I will only believe it when it happens. If Apple wanted to axe FCP best time do it was when they killed Aperture. If Apple does kill FCP I will never use another Mac again because that would mean Logic would be the next to go.
Then whats the point of a Mac then?

ZombiePhysicist

macrumors 68030
May 22, 2014
I will only believe it when it happens. If Apple wanted to axe FCP best time do it was when they killed Aperture. If Apple does kill FCP I will never use another Mac again because that would mean Logic would be the next to go.

How long has Pages been out? It STILL cannot do Table of Authorities (you know, stuff high school kids need), custom paragraph numbers (face stuff like [0001], [0002] /sarcasm), and cross indexing. Stuff that was in word perfect and Microsoft word circa 1985. There have been no meaningful updates to the iWork in decades. Even the FreeForm app, it should have been rolled into Keynote (to give it the ability to zoom in and out) and at the end of the day, the FreeForm app is a giant ripoff of the Vibe Whiteboard (which sadly is what apple likely needs to use internally because they dont even bother to make a whiteboard tool for themselves and farm out to half-wit solutions because they cannot even do half-wit work anymore).

That is the level of their 'commitment'. This is a company that has taken near a decade to get the weather app on an iPad and still no calculator, and have the gaul to joke about what losers they are.

Apple has like 5 decent developers (and the rest seem to be useless turds that just occupy space and complain their cucumber water isnt the right temperature for their chi) that are all stolen from one project to the next, and when they are stolen to the next, the previous project atrophies and dies. It's pathetic.

Reactions: prefuse07

exoticSpice

Suspended
Jan 9, 2022
How long has Pages been out? It STILL cannot do Table of Authorities (you know, stuff high school kids need), custom paragraph numbers (face stuff like [0001], [0002] /sarcasm), and cross indexing. Stuff that was in word perfect and Microsoft word circa 1985. There have been no meaningful updates to the iWork in decades. Even the FreeForm app, it should have been rolled into Keynote (to give it the ability to zoom in and out) and at the end of the day, the FreeForm app is a giant ripoff of the Vibe Whiteboard (which sadly is what apple likely needs to use internally because they dont even bother to make a whiteboard tool for themselves and farm out to half-wit solutions because they cannot even do half-wit work anymore).

That is the level of their 'commitment'. This is a company that has taken near a decade to get the weather app on an iPad and still no calculator, and have the gaul to joke about what losers they are.

Apple has like 5 decent developers (and the rest seem to be useless turds that just occupy space and complain their cucumber water isnt the right temperature for their chi) that are all stolen from one project to the next, and when they are stolen to the next, the previous project atrophies and dies. It's pathetic.
This. Exactly this. What happened to the Apple that excelled in hardware and software?

Nowadays its incomplete hack jobs. The Apple Music webiste is STILL in beta. Microsoft and Google I have huge respect for nowadays, they support countless hardware and OEMs. They work with Intel, AMD and others like Qualcomm to make their OS better.

One other thing I noticed is why are system apps tied to the OS. Microsoft and Google don't do this anymore. The latest Freeform app is tied to the OS, this will make Apple's snail pace of updating apps even slower to 1 update per year.
I wonder why Apple is so slow? Incompetence or ignorance.
Don't even get me started on the bugs in the OS. Why does every new macOS feel like an Alpha release?

Reactions: ZombiePhysicist

orionquest

Suspended
Mar 16, 2022
The Great White North

Probably because the prior versions of Apple's apps were too good, and I bet Microsoft and Adobe spoke up and said something to Apple. It's the only reason I can see why Apple dumbed down their apps.

I've played around with FCP and motion, they are fine and all but lack some of the sophistication you get with Premier and definitely with AfterEffects. I'm sure the same can be said with iWork vs MS Office.

I look at Apple's apps now as demonstration apps, what can be done with Apple hardware. It's great you can do some pretty amazing stuff with them but once you get to a certain level and need deeper tools, it's off to one of the other guys in the industry.

ZombiePhysicist

macrumors 68030
May 22, 2014
Probably because the prior versions of Apple's apps were too good, and I bet Microsoft and Adobe spoke up and said something to Apple. It's the only reason I can see why Apple dumbed down their apps.

I've played around with FCP and motion, they are fine and all but lack some of the sophistication you get with Premier and definitely with AfterEffects. I'm sure the same can be said with iWork vs MS Office.

I look at Apple's apps now as demonstration apps, what can be done with Apple hardware. It's great you can do some pretty amazing stuff with them but once you get to a certain level and need deeper tools, it's off to one of the other guys in the industry.

The prior versions were not too good. They never had these REMEDIAL features. And 10 years of no remedial features. We're not talking about kitchen sink features like Word. Table of Authorities?!?!?! ARE YOU KIDDING ME. Again, this is high school level stuff.

Updated: Furthermore, they are not 'demo' applications: they LITERALLY use Keynote for their keynotes--mission critical there.

What kills me is that I say this stuff, and instead of people noticing, hey, it's true, there is no excuse for this from the RICHEST COMPANY ON EARTH, the Stockholm beaten down Mac users get in a line to defend this garbage. This site is littered with idiots 'teaching us all and justifying' how the trashcan Mac was good for us, and even AFTER apple LITERALLY did an apology tour, you still get these numnuts in here defending this abject failure garbage by apple.

If you keep defending their idiocy, they will never feel the heat to change. And when they actually do feel the heat to change, not remarkably, they do! Enough people yelled and shamed them (very much deservedly so) about the trashcan Mac, and lo and behold, we got the 7,1.

Stop apologizing for these loser failure moves, and start taking them to task. It is in NO WAY ACCEPTABLE that in 2022, after a decade or more, that pages cannot do a simple table of authorities. There is no justification except horrid lack of vision, laziness, ineptitude, and throngs of apologists saying 'thats ok, actually that's great'.

Last edited:

mattspace

macrumors 68040
Jun 5, 2013
Australia

iWork, and all the iLife apps on the mac were scaled back to match the iPad versions. There's no iPad FCP, but Apple IS promoting Resolve for iPad.

To me that says Apple is preparing the userbase for Apple to refocus on consumer apps, and an iMovie that is strictly an iPad app which can run on Mac.

If I were buying an expensive Mac-based editing suite now, I'd be buying a resolve suite and investing in learning that (as the indy editors I know have been doing for a while now).

ZombiePhysicist

macrumors 68030
May 22, 2014
iWork, and all the iLife apps on the mac were scaled back to match the iPad versions. There's no iPad FCP, but Apple IS promoting Resolve for iPad.

To me that says Apple is preparing the userbase for Apple to refocus on consumer apps, and an iMovie that is strictly an iPad app which can run on Mac.

If I were buying an expensive Mac-based editing suite now, I'd be buying a resolve suite and investing in learning that (as the indy editors I know have been doing for a while now).

And yet, they use Keynote.app for literally/arguably their most mission critical app, their own keynotes... Your characterization fails there.

Furthermore, even a consumer grade word processor should be able to do high school level table of authorities. Again, the argument breaks down as it does not even service a consumer level market.

mattspace

macrumors 68040
Jun 5, 2013
Australia
And yet, they use Keynote.app for literally/arguably their most mission critical app, their own keynotes... Your characterization fails there.

Furthermore, even a consumer grade word processor should be able to do high school level table of authorities. Again, the argument breaks down as it does not even service a consumer level market.

Tim believes the iPad is all the computer most people need, and you can do an Apple keynote on the iPad version.

Apple has for a long time been about the customer scaling their ambitions to suit the tools Apple makes. That's the entire Apple Silicon story.

exoticSpice

Suspended
Jan 9, 2022
Apple has for a long time been about the customer scaling their ambitions to suit the tools Apple makes. That's the entire Apple Silicon story.
I see so when does iPad get the Mx Pro, Max chips?
Tim believes the iPad is all the computer most people need, and you can do an Apple keynote on the iPad version.
I guess they make Macs for funsies.

Reactions: ZombiePhysicist
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.