Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AL2TEACH

macrumors 65816
Feb 17, 2007
North Las Vegas, NV.
lol, in a strange kind of way this all really strange but in the late 60's early 70's, I was wearing rainbow colored suspenders because and only for the colors. damn shame, simple can't remain simple. speaking only of the colors nothing more nothing less.

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
lol, in a strange kind of way this all really strange but in the late 60's early 70's, I was wearing rainbow colored suspenders because and only for the colors. damn shame, simple can't remain simple. speaking only of the colors nothing more nothing less.

I know what you mean but on the other hand you can still live in the same way as you did back then and start wearing again what you really like. We are as humans gifted to change our ways when we feel like it and we decide what to do today. :)

AL2TEACH

macrumors 65816
Feb 17, 2007
North Las Vegas, NV.
I know what you mean but on the other hand you can still live in the same way as you did back then and start wearing again what you really like. We are as humans gifted to change our ways when we feel like it and we decide what to do today. :)
eh, okay but I was just referring to what we have done to colors. ?

PrettyWings

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2016
My thoughts, for what they’re worth, is just use whichever band you like and leave it to others to do the thinking and/or wondering.

Right, people are making all kinds of assumptions about all kinds of stuff you're doing.

The pride brand does not only stand for homosexuality, not for any sexuality for that matter. It really comes down to accepting everyone, regardless of sexuality, just for who they are. Stop worrying what other people think, start wearing what you like, show what you support.

And isn't it based off of a rainbow? Maybe you simply belong to the Skittles fan-base.

JacksonCraig94

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2015
Derbyshire, UK
I initially thought that by purchasing the pride band I'd be essentially showing support for LGTBQ community whilst rocking a really good looking band (IMO) however a few friends suggested that it was kind of weird to wear the pride strap unless you know someone close to you who is gay, or are gay yourself.

What are your thoughts?
This is very interesting.. I don’t want to come across as a bitch (well, maybe a little bit ?) but your friends scream ‘lack of knowledge’. You don’t have to be gay or know anyone gay to wear a rainbow watch strap. I’m a gay man that doesn’t own the rainbow strap, does that mean I’m straight? No! ? If you like it, wear it with PRIDE (no pun intended) I also want you to know I respect you for supporting the LGBTQ Community.

Fhotofaerie

macrumors 6502a
Apr 4, 2020
Ca
I just like the colors personally, but I’m not out looking to support anything extra than some fly colors, so for me it just reads a double meaning. I mean we don’t think pink bands are only for breast cancer, or red or purple or yellow for different causes, But the rainbow is kinda pushed in society in an either you support us - or you hate us kind of way and that sucks it’s not more neutral.

It all comes down to what you’re comfortable with.

acorntoy

macrumors 68020
May 25, 2010
Eh if you are a supporter go for it, if you're not willing to be associated with the gay scene then avoid it. Those who know you won't judge you. You may get hit on, but they'll respect you if you politely decline and explain. TBH even as a gay man the bands are a bit much for me, might do a face during pride month though.

Random Fact:
A lot of people don't realize the original pride flag doesn't have the same number of colors as the rainbow/ it isn't actually a full rainbow. It's always a great debate/conversation when people see my tattoo. It isn't a direct rip off of nature, rather a representation of the variances in life. This is however because of the price of printing colors, and because the queer community has historically been disenfranchised it wasn't economical at the time to print a full rainbow.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Pitch

Ingster

macrumors 6502
Apr 2, 2007
Leeds, UK
I am heterosexual, but I would like to consider myself as an Ally and I do what I can to support LGBTQ+ rights, I believe love is love and it doesn't matter who you are or what gender you are we should all be entitled to live how we want to in the way we want to without recriminations.

I've had the last two iterations of the pride band and they go through my regular rotation of bands, if you like the band, well give apple your money, and damn those closed minded individuals who see a rainbow and are offended by it!

mizmimi02

macrumors 6502a
Feb 27, 2014
Midwest
I am straight, but my daughter is bisexual, so I do what I can to support. I have the 2 most recent releases of the pride bands, and I wear them in support of LGBTQ+ rights. I believe that as long as you like the band, who cares. But that's just me. ?‍♀️

Expos of 1969

Contributor
Aug 25, 2013
I am straight, but my daughter is bisexual, so I do what I can to support. I have the 2 most recent releases of the pride bands, and I wear them in support of LGBTQ+ rights. I believe that as long as you like the band, who cares. But that's just me. ?‍♀️
I don't have kids but I am sure that I would support them fully if I did. Good for you. ?

Reactions: mizmimi02

parseckadet

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2010
Denver, CO
I admire that.

I feel unable to do so myself because what people think about you can have real world negative effects on you. For example not getting a job because one person in an interview team is bigoted and sees the rainbow strap. Or your car getting keyed because your bumper sticker supported the wrong politician in the wrong neighborhood. Or a million other things.
I get the bumper sticker thing. For a long time I avoided having anything on my car that made it easier to distinguish my car from another one similar to it. The thinking being that some random road rager would be able to more easily to identify me if he saw me on multiple occasions if I had any kind of sticker, regardless of the message.

But the interview one is less relevant for a couple of reasons. First, not wearing that particular band to an interview remains an option. Second, let's say you did interview with this hypothetical person and they rejected you for this very reason. Would you really want to be working for someone who based their opinion of you entirely off of your watch band? This hypothetical person literally has everything he needs to know you about your professional life right there in the form of your resume and could also ask practically any question he wanted since you're sitting right there. Yet he's going to disregard all of that because of your watch band? I know I wouldn't want to work for such a person for many, many reasons.

jwlbel

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2012
I admire that.

I feel unable to do so myself because what people think about you can have real world negative effects on you. For example not getting a job because one person in an interview team is bigoted and sees the rainbow strap. Or your car getting keyed because your bumper sticker supported the wrong politician in the wrong neighborhood. Or a million other things.

Where I live, wearing my pride bands is more of a positive than a negative.

TantalizedMind

Suspended
Feb 5, 2007
All three pages of responses so far are FALSE.

48 hrs after wearing the Pride band for the first time, you will start to crave the attention of other men. In the blink of an eye you will find yourself out of state, in a country village driving a Subaru with the dog you two just adopted. And then...

adrianlondon

macrumors 603
Nov 28, 2013
Switzerland
All three pages of responses so far are FALSE.

48 hrs after wearing the Pride band for the first time, you will start to crave the attention of other men. In the blink of an eye you will find yourself out of state, in a country village driving a Subaru with the dog you two just adopted. And then...
Shhhhh! You're not meant to tell anyone.

seadragon

Contributor
Mar 10, 2009
Wasn’t there a pride sport loop? I don’t see it in the Apple Store app anymore (Canada). I’m not gay but I’m digging the pride watch faces. Was thinking of getting a watch strap.

PurBle

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2020
Wasn’t there a pride sport loop? I don’t see it in the Apple Store app anymore (Canada). I’m not gay but I’m digging the pride watch faces. Was thinking of getting a watch strap.
It’s still available at jump plus.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.