Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacGizmo

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2003
Arizona
Most likely, but there's nothing to indicate this latest beta is the Golden Master, so there's a decent chance there will be one more release.

Reactions: despistado

LarryJoe33

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2017
Boston
Plus there are still things not turned on/working such as iMessages sync/iCloud. I would think a GM would have that enabled? IDK, I am a first timer beta testing.

nekton1

macrumors 65816
Apr 15, 2010
Asia
IMO, it's nowhere near GM. At least 3 or 4 more betas to fix a host of glitches. Even the High Sierra install over previous Sierra systems is still VERY unstable and doubly so considering SSD and non-SSD support for HS by different models. Apple cannot afford a mess with this transition, so I think the betas will continue some time into late September and possibly until just before the new iMacPro gets released.

Reactions: xgman

MariozPOC

macrumors member
Oct 9, 2014
Rivarolo Canavese - TO
IMO, it's nowhere near GM. At least 3 or 4 more betas to fix a host of glitches. Even the High Sierra install over previous Sierra systems is still VERY unstable and doubly so considering SSD and non-SSD support for HS by different models. Apple cannot afford a mess with this transition, so I think the betas will continue some time into late September and possibly until just before the new iMacPro gets released.

I hope we have not to wait to december for High Sierra (when the new iMac is going to be relised).

FatalFallacy

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2013
When taking the small amount of "known issues" in the dev beta 8's release notes into consideration, I expect the GM soon.
We've seen worse 10.x.0 in the past with a lot of annoying bugs still present that were fixed considerable time later with 10.x.1+ versions (if at all).

MacGizmo

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2003
Arizona
Plus there are still things not turned on/working such as iMessages sync/iCloud. I would think a GM would have that enabled? IDK, I am a first timer beta testing.
That feature isn't going to be in the initial release of iOS 11, if you believe all the rumors.

LarryJoe33

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2017
Boston
That feature isn't going to be in the initial release of iOS 11, if you believe all the rumors.

That’s too bad. It was working fine for me. Everything syncing nicely. It doesn’t seem like rocket science, should be similar to email, calendar and contracts.

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
It is always the case that Apple's know issues list pales in comparison to the issues reported in even just at macrumors. I wish they payed more (or any) attention to this site for evaluating real world experiences with these new OS'ed.

mikecwest

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2013
There will probably be one more release before the "final release", and then one more 1-3 days after that for .0.1 release.

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
Probably stopper bugs. This is it, folks, so fasten your seat belt for the main 12.13.0 event on Sept 12th!
I finally updated my 2009 13" MacBookPro5,5 (with the installer patch from dosdude1) with High Sierra beta 9. I figure this must be the GM, or at least the last beta before the GM. Even if just the latter, it's close enough.

It works great.

There will probably be one more release before the "final release", and then one more 1-3 days after that for .0.1 release.
Possibly, but I'm guessing there will be no more betas. 9 betas is already a new record. That's more betas than any other OS X / macOS release.

It's possible the GM will be a slight update though.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
hmmm....
There is plenty of time for at least 3 more betas. :D

In the old days, when Apple had to release final code to manufacture installer media, then a couple of weeks was necessary, I suppose, from final to stock stores, etc.
Now, you might get bug fixes within hours of the actual release.

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
hmmm....
There is plenty of time for at least 3 more betas. :D

In the old days, when Apple had to release final code to manufacture installer media, then a couple of weeks was necessary, I suppose, from final to stock stores, etc.
Now, you might get bug fixes within hours of the actual release.
Nope. At most 1 more beta, but I'm guessing no more betas, although the possibility remains that the GM is slightly different from the last beta.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
macOS High Sierra is due in October. And with APFS still in very rough shape (at least with FileVault + APFS Encrypted), I suspect we will get at least a couple of more betas before it is declared GM quality.

Reactions: LarryJoe33

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
macOS High Sierra is due in October. And with APFS still in very rough shape (at least with FileVault + APFS Encrypted), I suspect we will get at least a couple of more betas before it is declared GM quality.
Who says it is October? The last couple of OS X / macOS releases were in September. I don't think there has been any official release date stated.

KUKitch

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2008
England
Hopefully they’re getting close - I’m also pretty disappointed that messages in iCloud was taken out, as it was working well for me... here’s hoping that isn’t too far into the future. I haven’t had too many issues with the HS betas thus far, and yeah we’ve had a fair number of revisions must be getting close!

LarryJoe33

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2017
Boston
Hopefully they’re getting close - I’m also pretty disappointed that messages in iCloud was taken out, as it was working well for me... here’s hoping that isn’t too far into the future. I haven’t had too many issues with the HS betas thus far, and yeah we’ve had a fair number of revisions must be getting close!
Same. I don't understand what the issue could be. Seems to me it's the same as Contacts, Calendars, Notes, iTunes, etc. all synching in iCloud. It worked well for me in betas 1 and 2 before they removed it.

KUKitch

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2008
England
Same. I don't understand what the issue could be. Seems to me it's the same as Contacts, Calendars, Notes, iTunes, etc. all synching in iCloud. It worked well for me in betas 1 and 2 before they removed it.

Yeah, that would be my thought as well - although I don't know whether the complexity of the iMessage servers/processes is different in any way that might complicate it. But in line with that, it would be fantastic to add it to iCloud in line with the other items we can access from the web - again you'd think that could be managed...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.