Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

snerkler

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 14, 2012
I’m still toying with the idea of getting a 14 pro but have read several blogs and user comments saying the dynamic island is really annoying and enlarges too often with alerts/notifications blocking pets of the screen.

I know you can swipe to ‘close’ it but does it get irritating after a while, or is it really not a big deal?

arazeleternal

macrumors member
May 17, 2016
I’m still toying with the idea of getting a 14 pro but have read several blogs and user comments saying the dynamic island is really annoying and enlarges too often with alerts/notifications blocking pets of the screen.

I know you can swipe to ‘close’ it but does it get irritating after a while, or is it really not a big deal?
I love the dynamic island. It hardly ever gets in the way of anything. I’m sure others will feel differently, but it’s one of the features I was most interested in when watching the keynote for the new pro phones.

beerseagulls

macrumors 6502a
Aug 18, 2021
If it annoys you, then, yes, it is annoying.... :) YOU are the only one that matters, not the rest of us. :)

It's like the push to start buttons in cars these days. It bugs me to no end. I ended up waiting 2 months in order to order a car without that. It took so long because I wanted one with an actual key for starting the engine, which is only available on the base model, but I also wanted all the other options/packages at the same time.(unfortunately, that also meant I couldn't get the panoramic view, which is not available for the base modem, even with almost $9000 of options added on it)

Unfortunately, on iPhones, if you must have the best cameras, then you will have to live with Dynamic Island.

Reactions: yaboid01

Fat_Guy

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2021
You get used to it.

Early days but this thing will probably become “a thing”. Previous iPhones will look old without this animation…

Reactions: snerkler

klpribula93

macrumors regular
Jan 1, 2021
I picked up my 14 Pro today, and the dynamic island was different for me but I actually enjoy it. I like the animations it does when I do certain things on my phone like playing music, or getting a FaceTime call. I think it makes the phone look more cooler than what it was in the past!

Boil

macrumors 68040
Oct 23, 2018
Stargate Command
It is an interesting thing from the boring notch and adds a bit of a wow factor in just a normal phone. Five to one Samsung will copy it like they copied apples smart phone.

First they have to put out some advertisements dumping on the Dynamic Island...

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
It is an interesting thing from the boring notch and adds a bit of a wow factor in just a normal phone. Five to one Samsung will copy it like they copied apples smart phone.
Who would want to copy a great big lozenge-shaped hole in the display? The only reason Apple have come up with Necker Island is to make the notch seem like a good thing which of course it will never be.

They could have notifications pop up and do whatever the Isle Of Man does but without the frankly awful hole in the display whilst viewing content. I'm OK with notifications how they are on Android. No gimmicks needed.

beerseagulls

macrumors 6502a
Aug 18, 2021
let's face it, if Dynamic Island or notches are very tiny or non-existent, the iPhone would be much better.... just like when my girlfriend told me back in high school that size didn't matter all those years ago. (my next girlfriend was a much older, 40-something lady and I was in college at the time. she told me "of course size matters, but when women reach my age, we take what we can get and don't mention it)

Judo

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2002
New Zealand
If it annoys you, then, yes, it is annoying.... :) YOU are the only one that matters, not the rest of us. :)

It's like the push to start buttons in cars these days. It bugs me to no end. I ended up waiting 2 months in order to order a car without that. It took so long because I wanted one with an actual key for starting the engine, which is only available on the base model, but I also wanted all the other options/packages at the same time.(unfortunately, that also meant I couldn't get the panoramic view, which is not available for the base modem, even with almost $9000 of options added on it)

Unfortunately, on iPhones, if you must have the best cameras, then you will have to live with Dynamic Island.
Im curious to know what you don’t like about push button start? I’m pretty sure that your key ignition start is exactly the same, but instead of pushing a button with your finger your are turning a key to push a button.

• Love
Reactions: compwiz1202

mavis

macrumors 601
Jul 30, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
Imagine a future with cell providers having the option of offering free iPhones, but the Dynamic Island is also running ads...?
Great. So pay what you've always paid to get an ad-free phone, like you've always done. And those who can't afford to go that route can save money and get the ad-supported version. How would that affect you?

Reactions: Applefan4

beerseagulls

macrumors 6502a
Aug 18, 2021
Im curious to know what you don’t like about push button start? I’m pretty sure that your key ignition start is exactly the same, but instead of pushing a button with your finger your are turning a key to push a button.

that's simple... I'm an old geezer.... sometimes when I really want to write something, I take my old typewriter out of the closet. :) I can stream MLB baseball games on my TV, phone, laptop and tablet... but I still enjoy listening to the game on local AM radio! (fortunately, there are still AM stations in my area) :)

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
Push to start seems pointless. Like trying to pretend that we're firing up an F1 car or something ferocious. Also when the car stalls it's much more logical (to me) to turn the key rather than to faff about with a button. Plus within 2 years the start button on my Audi would only work if I pressed it firmly dead centre.

decypher44

macrumors 68000
Feb 24, 2007
Orange County, CA
A little column A, a little column B. Sometimes I like it. It’s like a neat little feature. Then other times it’s annoying. Some apps and games aren’t updated to co-exist. I was going to post a screenshot, but when I grab one, it shows up as if the DI wasn’t there. Anyway, in Candy Crush (all of them), the part at the top is where you see your goal/objective and your current status. It’s totally blocked out. Extremely annoying.

Reactions: koigirl

snerkler

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 14, 2012
Thanks for all the replies, guess I'll only know for sure if I get one, positive that the majority don't seem to mind it though so it's unlikely to put me off.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.