Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
sports alerts app for NBA scores has made this amazing. I can check the score at night without needing to do anything or go into the app. It's all on my lock screen. Same with football scores.

redbeard331

macrumors 68030
Jul 21, 2009
It was nice until Apple ruined it by putting the hideous outlines around it in 16.1, plus it keeps expanding to show a location icon and that prevents it from showing important info.

Reactions: koigirl

monstermash

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2020
I’m still toying with the idea of getting a 14 pro but have read several blogs and user comments saying the dynamic island is really annoying and enlarges too often with alerts/notifications blocking pets of the screen.

I know you can swipe to ‘close’ it but does it get irritating after a while, or is it really not a big deal?
Yes. It sucks. They provide no way to turn it off either.

It is the "touch bar" of iPhones.

contacos

macrumors 601
Nov 11, 2020
Mexico City living in Berlin
What happens when you watch something in landscape mode. Does it continue to show all the "bling bling" on the dynamic island? Seems annoying and distracting if it is the case. It should completely turn black and blend in with the black bars like on the Notch ...

• Love
Reactions: addamas

addamas

macrumors 65816
Apr 20, 2016
Just kill this crappy tint around or at least give us a button to turn it on or off if someone is having health problems to click this part of screen and make his face camera dirty

OSXphoto

macrumors regular
Dec 23, 2013
Have had the 14 PM for three days now. The sole reason for wanting the 14PM are the cameras. After deeply excavating my pockets, I ordered and although I do like some aspects of the DI, I wish my iPhone had a simple notch. I have the following observations:
- The DI draws attention to it more than I like
- It is in the way when watching a movie full screen

Especially the movie experience I find distracting. During my first movie session I resized the movie making it smaller in the frame, thereby excluding the DI.

All that said, having a top notch piece of tech is a great privilege. And coming from an iPhone 6s - 8plus I get more screen real estate anyway. But for me a standard notch like on the 13PM would have been better.

sorgo †

Cancelled
Feb 16, 2016
I tried it on a 14 Pro, and I’m sure I would’ve gotten used to it if it weren’t for the screen.

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
Im curious to know what you don’t like about push button start? I’m pretty sure that your key ignition start is exactly the same, but instead of pushing a button with your finger your are turning a key to push a button.
I know there's a key in my fob, but is that just for the door? I have to check my vehicle later to see if there's an actual keyhole for the ignition. Thought I read it might be behind the button?

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
my all-time favorite car was my Saab 9-5(and the 9000 Aero before that)..... yes, the quirky cars with ignition switch in the middle and the keys rattling while you drive around. Still sad that Saab is gone... :(
Yes that's one good thing for push button is you can have a trillion keys without keeping the ignition key separate so you don't mess up the ignition setup

cthompson94

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2022
SoCal
I do not find the Dynamic Island annoying at all, the notifications that cause it to expand (that I have received) are well timed in my opinion to see the notification and then it is gone. Since I use Dark Mode, all of the apps that integrate a dark mode does a good job at hiding it (or using it like Apollo for Reddit). I have seen very few bugs, but nothing that causes headaches, I just wish some devs especially the bigger ones adjusted the UI to reflect the Dynamic Island better. One example I have is Pokemon Go that my kid loves, I have noticed some clipped UI elements, but it isn't to the point where you can't make out what it is, but it does make the app look unpolished especially from a big dev.

Reactions: Ntombi

snerkler

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 14, 2012
Well after having the 14 pro for a couple of weeks now I do find the dynamic island a bit irritating with the Face ID for apps etc how it enlarges with a big tick but it’s not the end of the world. I wish you could turn this animation off or make it more subtle.

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
My only annoyance with the DI is that it doesn't work for notifications... I have this cool little notification hub and messages, emails, 3rd party notifications etc.. are still sliding down from the top and look horrible when they settle under the DI.... I really thought this is what the DI was meant for when it was introduced.. I get the 3rd party apps not having it yet but why not the native apps?

Motionblurrr

macrumors 65816
Jul 1, 2008
Have had the 14 PM for three days now. The sole reason for wanting the 14PM are the cameras. After deeply excavating my pockets, I ordered and although I do like some aspects of the DI, I wish my iPhone had a simple notch. I have the following observations:
- The DI draws attention to it more than I like
- It is in the way when watching a movie full screen

Especially the movie experience I find distracting. During my first movie session I resized the movie making it smaller in the frame, thereby excluding the DI.

All that said, having a top notch piece of tech is a great privilege. And coming from an iPhone 6s - 8plus I get more screen real estate anyway. But for me a standard notch like on the 13PM would have been better.
Three days is not enough. When the notch first came out, it took like 1-2 full weeks to get "used" to it. As in, ignore my peripheral vision of a new object seen.

Reactions: OSXphoto

OSXphoto

macrumors regular
Dec 23, 2013
I tried it on a 14 Pro, and I’m sure I would’ve gotten used to it if it weren’t for the screen.
@sorgo : Did I miss something? What is wrong with the screen? Are you referring to the green colour cast we see when we look at the screen from a steep side angle?

Last edited:

nStyle

macrumors 65832
Dec 6, 2009
Well after having the 14 pro for a couple of weeks now I do find the dynamic island a bit irritating with the Face ID for apps etc how it enlarges with a big tick but it’s not the end of the world. I wish you could turn this animation off or make it more subtle.

It was objectively more intrusive before…right in the middle of the screen. At least it’s at the top now…along with low-battery notifications. They could have of course done this before the DI, but still, these system notifications are objectively more out of the way now.

I’m not finding the DI adds really anything to my experience using an iPhone but I still prefer the look of it to the notch.

davedvdy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2011
What happens when you watch something in landscape mode. Does it continue to show all the "bling bling" on the dynamic island? Seems annoying and distracting if it is the case. It should completely turn black and blend in with the black bars like on the Notch ...
In landscape mode, 100% of the time it isn't doing anything at all at least in any of my use cases (apps, games, YT, etc).

The DI sits slightly lower on the screen, so that does bother some people depending on the aspect ratio of the video though.

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
I think a poll would be more useful for this, instead of a million posts that just say “I like it” or “I don’t like it” haha. Posts are good for extra details/insights.

beerseagulls

macrumors 6502a
Aug 18, 2021
Yes that's one good thing for push button is you can have a trillion keys without keeping the ignition key separate so you don't mess up the ignition setup

well.... the key to my front door is sitting on my front porch. anyone can just take it and open the door.... well, not exactly... he/she will have to know which key it is first. you see, the correct key is in a large clear glass cookie jar, mixed in with about 300 other keys.(bought them as big bag of old used keys from eBay several years ago for a project) Of course, everybody in my family knows which key it is... we just have to dump all the keys out and we can tell which one it is within 5 seconds. :)

RRC

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2020
I notice it as much as I did the notch, which is hardly ever. It just disappears in daily usage and you forget about it, but the sports score notifications etc are a really nice touch.

Torty

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2013
The dynamic island is so rarely active that I am happy to see it every time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.