Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macj3

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 5, 2010
east coast, USA
Looking to purchase our first smart phone. Prices sure are up there for the newest versions...The iPhone 8 seems to be at the top of our price range..What would be the downside vs a newer phone? is it too old of a version/model?

Jim Lahey

macrumors 68030
Apr 8, 2014
Still rocking an 8 Plus and it still rocks. If I were buying new, now, then I would embrace the latest tech, but if cost is a major factor then you could do a lot worse than the 8. You still get a very high quality and beautifully-built phone that’s plenty quick at everything (besides maybe synthetic benchmarks) and it still runs the latest software & services with one hand on the wheel.

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
The 8 is a super fast & capable phone. The newer iPhones aren't noticeably faster (and even if they were it wouldn't matter). All the newer phones have going for them is better cameras. In many ways, the phones after the 8 are downgrades. I personally wouldn't buy any phone after the 8 or 8 plus at any price

Reactions: HunnieBunnie

ACG12

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2015
No, the A11 is still a beast. I just upgraded from a 7 to an 8 plus. I wanted an 8, but the 2gb of RAM is a major con.

paranoia

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2010
New England
The 8 plus is still a great phone, I Have one it is the last off the finger print reader and home button, which I love.
I did upgrade to a 11pro max wich I love but it is sure hard to get used to face id ,and making purchases on the new iphone, however I am giving my 8 + to my wife but reluctantly, so I would say a big yes on the 8 or 8 +.

saber32au

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2019
It depends on your use case.

If you’re a “basic user” (like me), who uses their phones for emails, calls, texts, photos (but you’re not an avid photographer who really scrutinises photos), media consumption etc etc, in my opinion the iPhone 8 is perfectly fine.

If you’re wanting to take record video at 4k/60FPS, what to take the best photographs you can on your phone, or complete demanding tasks (ie games, image rendering in photoshop etc), the 8 probably isn’t for you. For that, you’ll need a later model phone (ie the 10s, 11 or 11pro)

Puppuccino

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2019
United Kingdom
The iPhone 8 is still very much a modern phone, it’s the last phone Apple actively sell that has the home button (+ TouchID) and of course still gets iOS updates.

You should get it if it suits your needs.

Jim Lahey

macrumors 68030
Apr 8, 2014
If you’re wanting to take record video at 4k/60FPS, what to take the best photographs you can on your phone, or complete demanding tasks (ie games, image rendering in photoshop etc), the 8 probably isn’t for you. For that, you’ll need a later model phone (ie the 10s, 11 or 11pro)

8 Plus does 4K/60 video. Is this not the case with the vanilla 8?

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
Still using an 8 Plus myself. Each year I look at what the latest iPhone offers and I haven’t seen a compelling reason to upgrade yet. Maybe in 2020.

Reactions: tivoman

DevinNj

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2016
New Jersey
Looking to purchase our first smart phone. Prices sure are up there for the newest versions...The iPhone 8 seems to be at the top of our price range..What would be the downside vs a newer phone? is it too old of a version/model?
Like said above, the 8 series is a great phone and will be for a while, I'd definitely recommend it. My wife loves her 8+, and I've tried to get her on the newer phones, nope, she LOVES the 8+ form factor (home button as opposed to Face ID). My advise if it's in your budget would be to get the 8+, the added battery life and the zoom camera is nice, but a bigger phone may not be for you.

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
I'd say no, but by the end of March we should have essentially the same phone but less 3D Touch and plus the A13 (and maybe some other goodies thrown in) - if you possibly can wait until spring, do that, if not there's bound to be some great deals kicking around for the 8 and it's still a great phone :)

Elitegate

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2014

No, it's still quite capable. iPhone 8 64 GB is still a solid phone and a good choice.

Burebista

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2019
It’s a good phone overall with a couple of weak points. Performance wise will run well for another 3 years at the minimum, but getting one for full retail price today isn’t the best deal. Get a refurbished or perhaps used one in good condition if you need a phone asap, or wait till March for the SE2 - that would be a real great value.

oVerboost

macrumors 68000
Sep 17, 2013
United Kingdom
It’s still a great device, however there’s a fair few comments about the size difference to the current latest devices, but really there’s almost nothing in it between an 8 and the 11 Pro 5.8”, other than the price obviously.

Aydy

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2015
It’s not old and still considered current as it’s part of apple’s current product lineup. So confident of its performance and popularity Apple decided to bump the Xs/xsmax from their lineup, albeit to free the path for 11 pro/max ? and keep the 8/8+ pride of place in current range.

Reactions: Soulman
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.