Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
From experience my 8+ is a better phone than my wife’s 8 in battery life alone. It’s nearly double. If the 8+ was odd then it wouldn’t continue to be so popular and especially in business imo.
Businesses get whatever iPhone that is offered by whoever won the contract deal, not what best for a specific user.

For a normal user, the XR is a much better choice than the 8 Plus for a mere $50 extra. Better battery life, better camera with smart HDR, A12 thus better longevity, and FaceID.

If one wants to save money, the phone to get is the regular iPhone 8. Heck, even Apple wants people to buy the XR instead of the 8 Plus by pricing the XR so close. When the XR was announced, Phil even made a direct comparison to the 8 Plus.

Now if you prefer the 8 Plus, by all means. But when a question being asked which phone to get, my pick will be either the regular 8 or the XR.

nordique

macrumors 68000
Oct 12, 2014
It has A11, therefore it's not.

yep

a11 is still comparable with flagships in power

much more powerful than the a10 that Apple is still supporting and running in the new 10.2 iPad , and that is a device with a much bigger screen and has no issues with performance!

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Businesses get whatever iPhone that is offered by whoever won the contract deal, not what best for a specific user.

For a normal user, the XR is a much better choice than the 8 Plus for a mere $50 extra. Better battery life, better camera with smart HDR, A12 thus better longevity, and FaceID.

If one wants to save money, the phone to get is the regular iPhone 8. Heck, even Apple wants people to buy the XR instead of the 8 Plus by pricing the XR so close. When the XR was announced, Phil even made a direct comparison to the 8 Plus.

Now if you prefer the 8 Plus, by all means. But when a question being asked which phone to get, my pick will be either the regular 8 or the XR.
The difference in price in my country is around £120 not $50. I only paid £640 new for my 8+ 18 months ago so the deals are much lower in my experience. I use both devices and couldn’t tell you which is physically better which is why I recommend the 8+ based on its speed, camera, reliability and price. Not trying to convince you as I probably won’t, just like I’m not by your view.

tonybarnaby

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2017

The XR or regular 8 are definitely best for most people. Finding someone who the 8+ is the ideal option is more challenging. If you have big hands then the 8 is way too small and the XR may be also. 8+ feels great in hand due to its width.

HunnieBunnie

macrumors member
Sep 7, 2014
U.S.A.
My hands are not particularly large. I chose the 8 Plus for its larger screen size. I was unaware of any other differences between it and the 8. I adored my 5s, but the 8 Plus's larger screen is better for me at this point. My eyesight has really deteriorated over the last 20 or so years, and I struggled to see everything on my 5s. The 8 Plus feels odd to use as a "phone" next to my face, but honestly, most of the time I am at home and use it on speaker.

1BadManVan

macrumors 68040
Dec 20, 2009
Bc Canada
As some others have said, if you can budget for an 8+, it’s a worthwhile move for the better battery and extra ram which will help future proof it

I actually just gave my mom my 8+ after her 5 finally died. She loves it

Even if the 8+ isn’t an option, the regular 8 is still a great phone, the A11 is a great chip

Mindgap

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2019
California
I'd say no, but by the end of March we should have essentially the same phone but less 3D Touch and plus the A13 (and maybe some other goodies thrown in) - if you possibly can wait until spring, do that, if not there's bound to be some great deals kicking around for the 8 and it's still a great phone :)

I definitely wait for the SE. I don't like the new phone design and Im happy to get an upgraded 8 with an A13 chip and potentially 3 GB RAM. Goodies? I hope they put a headphone jack in. Cant stand those wireless bones in my ear.

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
I definitely wait for the SE. I don't like the new phone design and Im happy to get an upgraded 8 with an A13 chip and potentially 3 GB RAM. Goodies? I hope they put a headphone jack in. Cant stand those wireless bones in my ear.
I was thinking more of a camera update, slightly bigger battery/ extended battery life, tap to wake, maybe midnight green colour option (they added Rose Gold from the 6S to the SE).

FlippyGonnaSnap

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2019
I tend to put my devices to work for things they are still capable of doing, rather than throwing them in a drawer somewhere. Getting creative on how to make them (and my old Macs) do modern stuff is also a challenge I like. Of course, it helps that all of them are jailbroken.

Fair enough. That’s a good mentality to have. I’d have probably sold them only to regret it later due to memories associated with them as I always do.

I still think it’s fair to say the likes of the 4S for the average consumer is a bit ancient though, using it as my daily driver in 2015 was horrific, especially after iOS 9. I just had to sell it and get the Galaxy S7 before returning to iOS with the iPhone 7 and now my pro max.

I feel Apple crippled it by giving it just 512mb of ram, despite having a more then capable processor it just couldn’t really handle anything above iOS 7. A damn shame because it was an awesome device way ahead of its time.

Reactions: eyoungren

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Fair enough. That’s a good mentality to have. I’d have probably sold them only to regret it later due to memories associated with them as I always do.

I still think it’s fair to say the likes of the 4S for the average consumer is a bit ancient though, using it as my daily driver in 2015 was horrific, especially after iOS 9. I just had to sell it and get the Galaxy S7 before returning to iOS with the iPhone 7 and now my pro max.

I feel Apple crippled it by giving it just 512mb of ram, despite having a more then capable processor it just couldn’t really handle anything above iOS 7. A damn shame because it was an awesome device way ahead of its time.
My 5 is on 10.3.3 and when it was functioning I preferred it to my 4s running 9.3.5. Probably down to ram, as you mentioned. I wouldn't use the 4 or 4s as a primary phone though, simply because my own basic needs could not be met in a timely manner by those phones.

But as dedicated devices for a specific task, speed isn't necessarily an issue. It takes my 4 a moment to boot up a music app, but once it's loaded and left open it no longer really matters. For straight up music streaming from WiFi to a BT loudspeaker, or to wired earphones, my 4 can handle that job fairly well. With earphones I can walk around with the device in my pocket. I don't need to pull out my 6s+, my iPad or my Pixel for that. And it makes those devices available.

But yeah, as a primary phone - not going to cut it.

Kataran

macrumors member
Oct 16, 2015
RI
But yeah, as a primary phone - not going to cut it.

Not necessarily

My dad uses his 4s as his daily driver. He makes calls sends text and uses Safari for basic searches and it hooks up to his hands free car set-up as well as a few FaceTime calls

That’s all he needs at his age and boasts to me at how powerful it is

MattMJB0188

macrumors 68020
Dec 28, 2009
I just wish Apple would have kept with this design and home button for the newer phones. Sad that the only new phone I can look forward to is the SE2 (which is smaller than my 8 plus).

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
As some others have said, if you can budget for an 8+, it’s a worthwhile move for the better battery and extra ram which will help future proof it

I actually just gave my mom my 8+ after her 5 finally died. She loves it

Even if the 8+ isn’t an option, the regular 8 is still a great phone, the A11 is a great chip
The extra RAM on the 8 plus is a bit of red herring. One should assume that Apple will treat the 8 Plus the same as the regular 8 regardless of the extra RAM. When Apple discontinue the 8, they would highly likely discontinue the Plus at the same time as to avoid consumer confusion. So I wouldn’t rely on the extra RAM on the Plus for longevity.

Reactions: Patcell

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
The extra RAM on the 8 plus is a bit of red herring. One should assume that Apple will treat the 8 Plus the same as the regular 8 regardless of the extra RAM. When Apple discontinue the 8, they would highly likely discontinue the Plus at the same time as to avoid consumer confusion. So I wouldn’t rely on the extra RAM on the Plus for longevity.
The 8+ is still fast and reliable more than 2 years after release. How long are you expecting it along with the X to be useable? I’m not seeing any performance issues now and it’s the reason I haven’t needed to upgrade. Compared to the XR I use at work it’s pretty much a match in performance.

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
The 8+ is still fast and reliable more than 2 years after release. How long are you expecting it along with the X to be useable? I’m not seeing any performance issues now and it’s the reason I haven’t needed to upgrade. Compared to the XR I use at work it’s pretty much a match in performance.
Seems like you're just trying to disagree even though that's not what I'm talking about.

If you read the post that you responded to, I never talk about performance. And the respond has nothing to do with the XR. Let's get that first. If you're going to say the same thing again, stop reading, have a cookie, and have a good day.

The point was about longevity, and someone made the point of the extra GB of RAM for the Plus "help future proof it." However, my point was that I doubt Apple would give the 8 Plus better longevity than the regular iPhone 8, thus one should not base the reasoning of the 8 Plus being better "future proof" based on the extra GB of RAM. I doubt that Apple would discontinue iOS support for the regular 8 but not the 8 Plus. They would go at the same time.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Seems like you're just trying to disagree even though that's not what I'm talking about.

If you read the post that you responded to, I never talk about performance. And the respond has nothing to do with the XR. Let's get that first. If you're going to say the same thing again, stop reading, have a cookie, and have a good day.

The point was about longevity, and someone made the point of the extra GB of RAM for the Plus "help future proof it." However, my point was that I doubt Apple would give the 8 Plus better longevity than the regular iPhone 8, thus one should not base the reasoning of the 8 Plus being better "future proof" based on the extra GB of RAM. I doubt that Apple would discontinue iOS support for the regular 8 but not the 8 Plus. They would go at the same time.

I wasn’t trying to disagree, just trying to understand your point. I mentioned the XR because earlier in the thread you suggested it was better for longevity and I don’t really agree as they are so closely matched. You seem annoyed and I’m not being spoken to like that so wish you well.

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
I wasn’t trying to disagree, just trying to understand your point. I mentioned the XR because earlier in the thread you suggested it was better for longevity and I don’t really agree as they are so closely matched. You seem annoyed and I’m not being spoken to like that so wish you well.
Not really. My original statement was directed to the OP's question, not to you nor your opinion, and yet you're still trying to troll. If you read what I posted on the thread that you are referring to, I already said this

And as I said, if you're going to say the same thing again, then this will be my last comment to you to stop this pointless banter, you can have a cookie, and have a good day.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Not really. My original statement was directed to the OP's question, not to you nor your opinion, and yet you're still trying to troll. If you read what I posted on the thread that you are referring to, I already said this

And as I said, if you're going to say the same thing again, then this will be my last comment to you to stop this pointless banter, you can have a cookie, and have a good day.

I don’t appreciate being accused of trolling, that’s completely uncalled for. I’m just engaging you in a discussion here and because I’ve questioned you, you’ve resorted to juvenile suggestions and name calling. How ridiculous, yeah I will enjoy my day. Bloody hell

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I just wish Apple would have kept with this design and home button for the newer phones. Sad that the only new phone I can look forward to is the SE2 (which is smaller than my 8 plus).

Matt, Your lucky Apple even still supports using the home button on the iPhone/iPad, when all these other manufacturers abandoned it a long time ago. I mean, even Apple offered a four-inch iPhone back in 2016, no other manufactures really were offering that particular size at that time. I think Apple caters more to a demographic than others seem to give credit to. The fact that they’re bringing back a 4.7 inch SE 2, still speaks milestones that they’re listening to a demographic that wants a smaller iPhone, when you look at LG/Samsung/Google, they are primarily making smart phones catering to well above 5 inches.

Reactions: Kataran

MattMJB0188

macrumors 68020
Dec 28, 2009
Matt, Your lucky Apple even still supports using the home button on the iPhone/iPad, when all these other manufacturers abandoned it a long time ago. I mean, even Apple offered a four-inch iPhone back in 2016, no other manufactures really were offering that particular size at that time. I think Apple caters more to a demographic than others seem to give credit to. The fact that they’re bringing back a 4.7 inch SE 2, still speaks milestones that they’re listening to a demographic that wants a smaller iPhone, when you look at LG/Samsung/Google, they are primarily making smart phones catering to well above 5 inches.

Let's hope its supported for many more years to come. My only iPad is an Air 2. It works perfectly on iOS 12. The home button concept was brilliant. By getting rid of it, I feel like they messed with the original design for the iphone (including the headphone jack). I cannot and will not accept it. The design language of today including android phones is not going in the right direction, not at all. This is why I still cannot accept the horrible iOS 7 design after all these years. Don't get me started on that one.

I just hope the iPhone 8 design goes down as classic and inspires future designs without an ugly notch.

Reactions: arfbsantoso

JBGoode

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2018
Let's hope its supported for many more years to come. My only iPad is an Air 2. It works perfectly on iOS 12. The home button concept was brilliant. By getting rid of it, I feel like they messed with the original design for the iphone (including the headphone jack). I cannot and will not accept it. The design language of today including android phones is not going in the right direction, not at all. This is why I still cannot accept the horrible iOS 7 design after all these years. Don't get me started on that one.

I just hope the iPhone 8 design goes down as classic and inspires future designs without an ugly notch.

I think you meant to say that the design language is not going in the direction that you want it to which is backward. You're free to stay in the past for as long as you're able to. You should be good with a home button for years with the new SE coming out.

Reactions: Kataran

MattMJB0188

macrumors 68020
Dec 28, 2009
I think you meant to say that the design language is not going in the direction that you want it to which is backward. You're free to stay in the past for as long as you're able to. You should be good with a home button for years with the new SE coming out.

No! I meant to say exactly what I did.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.