Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FlippyGonnaSnap

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2019
If I were you I’d rather get a used XR or wait for the SE2.

The 8 is still a fantastic device, incredibly fast and will be for a long time mind. I’d really suggest getting the plus model though for that extra ram.

If the 8 is too old then my 6s/6s+, my 5, my 4s and my 4 are ancient.

To be honest given the performance I was getting on my 4S back in 2015 I would classify it as ancient, even back then. I can’t imagine what it’s like now.

Last edited:
Reactions: eyoungren

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
To be honest given the performance I was getting on my 4S back in 2015 I would classify it as ancient, even back then. I can’t imagine what it’s like now.
I tend to put my devices to work for things they are still capable of doing, rather than throwing them in a drawer somewhere. Getting creative on how to make them (and my old Macs) do modern stuff is also a challenge I like. Of course, it helps that all of them are jailbroken.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Looking to purchase our first smart phone. Prices sure are up there for the newest versions...The iPhone 8 seems to be at the top of our price range..What would be the downside vs a newer phone? is it too old of a version/model?

The iPhone 8 isn’t even close to being relatively old. ‘Old’ would be the iPhone 5s. The iPhone 8 still receives iOS updates, shares a lot of the same features the other iPhone models have with wireless charging/true tone/water resistant/stereo speakers, etc.

Reactions: HunnieBunnie

Ifti

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2010
UK
Ive just purchased an iPhone 8 for my daughter as her first phone. Running the latest iOS perfectly fine, and I think we'd get another good few years out of it yet......

ray6088

macrumors regular
Feb 18, 2013
Believe or not, I just purchase a used iPhone 8 for $200 excellent condition with 100% battery health. Had been using XR & 11 last couple months. I gave up and giving to my sister. There are some iPhones I have used in 2019:
iPhone 7/7 plus:
1. Two of my family iPhone 7 broke due to broken audio IC (never buy 7 again)
2. My wife has upgraded to XS Max then she passed her 7+ to me. I don't like it being too big and too "pink"
iPhone XR & 11
1. Both are good phone good battery. Love 11 super wide camera. Apple nails it right.
2. My wrist pain due to too tall and heavy.
3. Disable FaceID most the time. Useless lay on desk, driving & midnight usage.
iPhone 6S Plus
1. gave my 11 to my sister and using her 6S+ temporary. Nothing wrong, still capable phone
2. Too big for me, but dose not hurt my wrist. It might be not as tall as 11.
3. Love to have TouchID back. Better then disabled FaceID my 11.
iPhone 8
1. Love the size & Touch ID (main reason settle to iPhone 8)
2. Still capable phone in 2019.
iPhone SE (2016)
1. Love this little phone
2. Regret to trade in iPhone 7

Reactions: arfbsantoso

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
Looking to purchase our first smart phone. Prices sure are up there for the newest versions...The iPhone 8 seems to be at the top of our price range..What would be the downside vs a newer phone? is it too old of a version/model?
The bottleneck of the iPhone 8 won’t be the A11, but it will be 2GB of RAM. It is the last iPhone to have 2GB of RAM. For better longevity, I would suggest stretching your budget to get at least the XR.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
The bottleneck of the iPhone 8 won’t be the A11, but it will be 2GB of RAM. It is the last iPhone to have 2GB of RAM. For better longevity, I would suggest stretching your budget to get at least the XR.
Then if they get the XR then they might as well save even more money and buy the 8+ lol. It’s virtually the same size and slightly cheaper.

Motionblurrr

macrumors 65816
Jul 1, 2008
The iPhone 8/8 Plus was overpowered in 2017. Apple didn't have to flex that hard with the A11 chip but it is an absolute beast. Even if iOS 13 was janky in the beginning, my 8 Plus manhandled it without a sweat.

To put it this way: CURRENT Android flagships with the Snapdragon 855 CPU are *just* almost catching up to the A11 in the 8/8+/X iPhones. That's insane to me. And we're on the A13 chip right now?! Lot's of headroom for left for the chips.

tonybarnaby

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2017
Factory sealed?
Yep. The seller is called Aliunlocks and he has a TON of new iPhones. Most don’t come with the box for some reason, but I confirmed it’s new and never activated. It’s a retail unit, so not a refurb. Production date is a month ago.

Kataran

macrumors member
Oct 16, 2015
RI
The iPhone 8/8 Plus was overpowered in 2017. Apple didn't have to flex that hard with the A11 chip but it is an absolute beast. Even if iOS 13 was janky in the beginning, my 8 Plus manhandled it without a sweat.

To put it this way: CURRENT Android flagships with the Snapdragon 855 CPU are *just* almost catching up to the A11 in the 8/8+/X iPhones. That's insane to me. And we're on the A13 chip right now?! Lot's of headroom for left for the chips.

I have to agree

My GFs 8+ always seemed faster than my iPhone X maybe due to the LCD over OLED but her 8+ gets beat down and app clogged by her grandkids and never skips a beat

tweeter

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2019
I just bought 8's two last week and sadly retired the 5s. Still getting used to the larger size but it's smaller than the new ones and the price was right.

MarkMissoula

macrumors regular
Nov 15, 2008
Yep. The seller is called Aliunlocks and he has a TON of new iPhones. Most don’t come with the box for some reason, but I confirmed it’s new and never activated. It’s a retail unit, so not a refurb. Production date is a month ago.
Well without box means no to factory sealed. And probably won’t have 1 year Apple care?

tonybarnaby

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2017
Well without box means no to factory sealed. And probably won’t have 1 year Apple care?
It still has the wrap on it from the factory. I have no idea why the box isn't included because it's 100% a new phone. Limited warranty began the day I activated the phone, and apple care is available. I checked the serial number, and the phone was produced within the last 30 days and is a new retail model. No idea about the box, but this phone would be $6xx after taxes from apple. Came with a new charger, just no box or cheap headphones.

brucemr

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2019

Never had a smartphone? 8 is a perfectly fine phone. It will feel equally fast and snappy as the more expensive newer models for most users.

As others have said, there is a (nicknamed) “SE2“ expected in March. There are plenty of threads on it. Short story...it’s to look like the 8, but with newer processor, etc tech inside. To be priced same or a bit lower than 8 is now. So, a better value than 8, for those that can wait.

But understand why someone who has decided to buy their first smartphone won’t want to wait 4 months. If so, buy the 8 now!

arfbsantoso

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2019
No bottleneck if you have healthy battery (> 90%).

HunnieBunnie

macrumors member
Sep 7, 2014
U.S.A.
I hope not! I just bought the 8 Plus at Apple a month ago. I miss my 5s, which was a great phone for me, but the battery was not holding a charge very well anymore, and no one works on the 5s anymore, e.g. Best Buy and other local shops. Apple could have replaced the battery for me for $50+, but I understand Apple is not going to support the 5s much longer, and the cost to replace the battery in my 5s would cover the tax on a new phone, so I bit the bullet and bought the 8 Plus. I do not find it very different from my 5s aside from size. I just hope I can get 6 years of use out of it before I have to upgrade again. I love iPhone, but the prices have gotten way out of hand. I felt $500 for my 5s was very expensive, but $650 for my 8 Plus was a big hit to my budget. The only reason I decided to go for it was because I could get interest free financing on it. If not for that fact, I probably would have opted for a battery replacement and eventually looking for a different phone.

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
Then if they get the XR then they might as well save even more money and buy the 8+ lol. It’s virtually the same size and slightly cheaper.
The XR is only $50 more than the 8 Plus, and you get better longevity due to the newer A12 vs A11.
The 3GB RAM on the 8 Plus is also suspect. It seems to be mainly reserved for the second camera, so in essence it is not that largely beneficial vs 2GB on the regular 8. Besides, if Apple decided to drop the 8 from iOS, they would probably also drop support for the Plus at the same time. Keeping the Plus version supported while not the regular version will only confuse consumers. My vote is either go for the regular 8 and save significant money, or get the XR. The 8 Plus is just an odd duck at this point. And Apple knows this, thus the pricing if the 8 Plus is only $50 cheaper than the XR. Apple wants people to buy the XR instead.
[automerge]1573875589[/automerge]
No bottleneck if you have healthy battery (> 90%).
Right now, even the $329 cheapest iPad has 3GB of RAM. We know where Apple is heading. And Apple seems to be willing to drop two generations of devices at the same time if they want to. iOS 13 drops support for both the 5S and 6/6 Plus.

Reactions: arfbsantoso

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
The XR is only $50 more than the 8 Plus, and you get better longevity due to the newer A12 vs A11.
The 3GB RAM on the 8 Plus is also suspect. It seems to be mainly reserved for the second camera, so in essence it is not that largely beneficial vs 2GB on the regular 8. Besides, if Apple decided to drop the 8 from iOS, they would probably also drop support for the Plus at the same time. Keeping the Plus version supported while not the regular version will only confuse consumers. My vote is either go for the regular 8 and save significant money, or get the XR. The 8 Plus is just an odd duck at this point. And Apple knows this, thus the pricing if the 8 Plus is only $50 cheaper than the XR. Apple wants people to buy the XR instead.
From experience my 8+ is a better phone than my wife’s 8 in battery life alone. It’s nearly double. If the 8+ was odd then it wouldn’t continue to be so popular and especially in business imo.

internetrando

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2018
Texas
The 8 is a fine phone and will serve you well for years.

I would recommend the 8+ if you can find the funds and don’t mind the size. Considerably better battery life and an extra GB of RAM.

Reactions: The-Real-Deal82
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.