Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

snak-atak

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 9, 2022
Let me start by saying that I don't expect another Apple TV upgrade for at least another 2-3 years, so if I am going to upgrade any time in the next year or two, I might as well get it now and reap the benefits, if there are any. I'll also disclose that my current Apple TV is connected to a Sony X950G 65 Inch TV in case that affects the discussion, and no, I will not upgrade that TV. I love it and will keep it until it dies.

So what's the differences? 2017 vs 2022
Processor:
A10X vs A15 Bionic
RAM: 3GB vs 4GB
Memory: 32GB (my model) vs 64GB (what I expect to get if I upgrade)
Remote: Old black style w/ lightning vs Newer silver style w/ USB-C
Supports: HDR vs High frame rate HDR and HDR10+ (I honestly don't know what any of this is or does)

Feel free to correct me if I got any of these specs wrong.

I don't need the ethernet and I have never heard a fan on my old device, so I don't care about those features.

What do we watch? Primarily Disney+, Amazon Prime, Paramount, some Weverse, and lots of YouTube.
Do we play games? Hardly, except for the occasional Minion Rush
What else do we do on the TV? Watch home videos, photos, and occasional Zoom calls w/ family

With all that out of the way, convince me one way or the other. Should I keep my existing Apple TV (2017) or upgrade to the new one? What's the pros and cons? Will you upgrade? What should I do with my old hardware? I don't want to just throw it away if I upgrade.

Mahalo!

Reactions: Tapper and kfury77

levander

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2011
Unless the money isn’t important, I’d hold out unless you’re having any problems with the Apple TV now.

there’s gonna be another one in a year or two. And if you buy this one, you’re gonna be less likely to buy that one.

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
Considering the big jump to the A15, it is doubtful Apple is planning on updating this model for quite a while.
I think you might be right.

I posted this in another thread, but it is fitting as a response for your post:
I agree with your post, with the exception on the above.

The 2017 ATV4K1 came with the A10X, which launched the same year and was the most powerful GPU of any A-chip at the time. In real-world use, the A10X's GPU outperforms the A12 in the 2021 ATV4K2.

It looks like Apple might be following a pattern for the ATV HW:

2015 ATV4, A8 was underpowered relative to what was available at launch.
+2 years
2017 ATV4K1, A10X was the top-of-the-line chip at the time.
+3ish years
2021 ATV4K2, A12 was underpowered relative to what was available at launch.
+ almost 2 years
2022 ATV4K3, A15 was the top-of-the-line chip at the time, second to the expensive A16.

Maybe the A15 ATV will be around for another 3 years, and Apple will put a (relatively) mediocre A-chip in the next model.

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
Sounds like you mostly stream, so your ATV would probably be perfectly fine for you for a long while.

If you played more games, I could see the benefits to getting the newest ATV for the 128GB of storage, for powerful A15, and more RAM.

But something to think about:
The newer ATVs with the newer Siri Remote cannot be used on some apps, especially games. There are sensors missing in the newer Siri Remotes from the 2021 and 2022 ATV4Ks.

If you run into this issue with Minion Rush, you could just use your old Siri Remote with your (potential) new ATV, or get a gaming controller.

Although, some apps require the 1st Gen Siri Remote, so even a gaming controller won't work for certain apps.

BaggieBoy

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2012
UK
I changed from a 2017 32GB to 2021 64GB simply for extra storage, I use InFuse and the cache was constantly being removed due to lack of space. Can't see any reason to change to the latest version.

Reactions: snak-atak

w5jck

Suspended
Nov 9, 2013
Let me start by saying that I don't expect another Apple TV upgrade for at least another 2-3 years, so if I am going to upgrade any time in the next year or two, I might as well get it now and reap the benefits, if there are any. I'll also disclose that my current Apple TV is connected to a Sony X950G 65 Inch TV in case that affects the discussion, and no, I will not upgrade that TV. I love it and will keep it until it dies.

So what's the differences? 2017 vs 2022
Processor:
A10X vs A15 Bionic
RAM: 3GB vs 4GB
Memory: 32GB (my model) vs 64GB (what I expect to get if I upgrade)
Remote: Old black style w/ lightning vs Newer silver style w/ USB-C
Supports: HDR vs High frame rate HDR and HDR10+ (I honestly don't know what any of this is or does)

Feel free to correct me if I got any of these specs wrong.

I don't need the ethernet and I have never heard a fan on my old device, so I don't care about those features.

What do we watch? Primarily Disney+, Amazon Prime, Paramount, some Weverse, and lots of YouTube.
What else do we do on the TV? Watch home videos, photos, and occasional Zoom calls w/ family

With all that out of the way, convince me one way or the other. Should I keep my existing Apple TV (2017) or upgrade to the new one? What's the pros and cons? Will you upgrade? What should I do with my old hardware? I don't want to just throw it away if I upgrade.

Mahalo!
Your 2017 ATV 4K is more than adequate for the kind of streaming you do. The new 2022 model is more hype than anything, and unless you are a hardcore gamer the new model isn't much of an improvement. If you are a hardcore gamer, you should find another service than Apple as they suck at gaming anyway.

DaveXX

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2020
YouTube is the main reason I upgraded from 2017 to 2022. No HDR, no 4K and no VP9 Codec.
If you have 2021 already there shouldn’t be any good reason.

snak-atak

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 9, 2022
If you played more games, I could see the benefits to getting the newest ATV for the 128GB of storage, for powerful A15, and more RAM.
I’m not a hardcore gamer by any means but out of curiosity, what games or apps out there today would require the A15 and 128 GB storage?

snak-atak

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 9, 2022
Your 2017 ATV 4K is more than adequate for the kind of streaming you do. The new 2022 model is more hype than anything,
Thanks got saying that. I didn‘t think that the A15 was necessary. A 65” 4K TV is still the same with either box attached, right? But I just wondered if I was missing anything by not upgrading. This is coming from a guy who is happy with his iPhone 11 Pro and Apple Watch series 3. No plans to upgrade those anytime soon too.

snak-atak

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 9, 2022
YouTube is the main reason I upgraded from 2017 to 2022. No HDR, no 4K and no VP9 Codec.
If you have 2021 already there shouldn’t be any good reason.
Interesting. I’m sure you must’ve seen a big improvement just switching to 4K!

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
I’m not a hardcore gamer by any means but out of curiosity, what games or apps out there today would require the A15 and 128 GB storage?
For the A15, nothing on the tvOS, at least not yet. The HW has to come first, as developers are not going to make a game that won't play on anything, especially not on tvOS.

Apple Arcade gets a lot of crap on the forum for being crappy, and there is a lot of "bubble gum" games, but they have some pretty good games on there. It is really cheap too, I think $4 or $5 a month for unlimited playing.

If you like Zelda games, check out Oceanhorn 2 on Apple Arcade. It is open world, Zelda style (or Zelda clone), action/adventure/puzzle game. It is about 50 hours of playtime. It isn't too hard, I think all my deaths were from accidently jumping into a pit, but I loved it. It had a great story, and is a prequel to the first Oceanhorn, which is on the tvOS App Store for purchase.

Last edited:

snak-atak

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 9, 2022
If you like Zelda games, check out Oceanhorn 2 on Apple Arcade. It is open world, Zelda style (or Zelda clone), action/adventure/puzzle game. It is about 50 hours of playtime. It isn't too hard, I think all my deaths were from accidently jumping into a pit, but I loved it. It had a great story, and is a prequal to the first Oceanhorn, which is on the tvOS App Store for purchase.
Thanks. I’ll check it out. I’m also a fan of Mario Kart style racing games if you know what I mean. 😉

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
Thanks. I’ll check it out. I’m also a fan of Mario Kart style racing games if you know what I mean. 😉
There are a bunch of racing games on Apple Arcade, some simulator-type, as well as ones like Mario Kart.

One of the Mario Kart-like games on Apple Arcade is the Sonic the Hedgehog racing. My kids like it, but I feel like it is not as polished as Mario Kart.

There are some fun family games, like Song Pop Party, which is a song guessing game. Nice to have multiple generations playing, because I never know any of the ones from the last 10-15 years, and my kids get stuck on the ones prior to 2000.

There is a remake of The Oregon Trail. It has different ways to playing, and story driven options, a lot more advanced than the original or the Part II from the 90's.

If you like Final Fantasy style games, check out the trailer for Fantasian, which was made by the original FF creator I think.

Alto's adventure and Alto's Odyssey are both great games, with relative simple gameplay. The games look and sound beautiful. It is kind of relaxing to play them. I bought both of them prior to them being on Apple Arcade.

There are others... I think I posted a list of my favorite Apple Arcade games on the forum before. I will see if I can find it.

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
and 128 GB storage?
Oh yeah, I meant to reply to this.

You can fill up storage very quickly with games. It is possible for the 32GB ATVs to be filled up with only 6-7 games, depending on the game size.

All my ATVs are 64GBs, and I been dealing with out of storage messages for years, so the 128GB storage is very welcomed by myself. I already purchased one.

For just streaming, 32GB is probably overkill for most people.

Reactions: JBaby and snak-atak

CMoore515

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2015
Des Moines, IA
I upgraded to the 2022 Wifi + Ethernet model, because I hardwire. I have a 2017 model that needed replacing and I basically hand-me-down my ATV hardware to other locations in my home. I have the 2021 model in my den, a 2021 in the living room and a 2017 in the basement. So the 2021 that I'm using will go there and I'll get the new goodness for myself.

Reactions: snak-atak

snak-atak

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 9, 2022
There are a bunch of racing games on Apple Arcade, some simulator-type, as well as ones like Mario Kart.

One of the Mario Kart-like games on Apple Arcade is the Sonic the Hedgehog racing. My kids like it, but I feel like it is not as polished as Mario Kart.

There are some fun family games, like Song Pop Party, which is a song guessing game. Nice to have multiple generations playing, because I never know any of the ones from the last 10-15 years, and my kids get stuck on the ones prior to 2000.

There is a remake of The Oregon Trail. It has different ways to playing, and story driven options, a lot more advanced than the original or the Part II from the 90's.

If you like Final Fantasy style games, check out the trailer for Fantasian, which was made by the original FF creator I think.

Alto's adventure and Alto's Odyssey are both great games, with relative simple gameplay. The games look and sound beautiful. It is kind of relaxing to play them. I bought both of them prior to them being on Apple Arcade.

There are others... I think I posted a list of my favorite Apple Arcade games on the forum before. I will see if I can find it.
Interesting. I’ll have to check out some of these. I do remember Oregon Trail from my small kid days. Does the ATV support multiplayers? If so, how do you connect multiple controllers? Sorry for all the questions. It never occurred to me that the Apple TV could be a family e
Gaming console.

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
Does the ATV support multiplayers? If so, how do you connect multiple controllers?
Yes, and depending on the game, you could play with multiple controllers, your use your families iPhones as controllers.

For example, for Song Pop Party, your family can use their iPhones as the controllers. You sent it up with an app that is in the iOS App Store. I think there is one of those QR codes on the tvOS game, so your family uses their camera on the QR code, it takes them to the app, download and play.

As for controllers, I have only connected one controller, but you can connect more, at least two. Not sure if you can do more than two.

I use the Steelseries Nimbus, but I wouldn't recommend that anymore. Apple added support for console gaming controllers, like Xbox and PS. I think Apple actually sells PS controllers for the ATV on their online store now.

I would go with one of those.

It never occurred to me that the Apple TV could be a family e
Gaming console.
It is worth looking into, but keep in mind that the tvOS and ATV is a VERY CASUAL gaming console. They do have a few games that might be consider AAA, but the ATV is far from a real console (basically due to Apple mis-managing the ATV). Also, Apple gutted the tvOS App Store, making it very hard to browse for games now by removing the top 200 in tvOS 16. I think it is just a bug, and hopefully it will be fix. Apple Arcade is not affected, so it is easy to browse every Apple Arcade game available.

I wouldn't run out to get the new 128GB 2022 ATV4K3 quite yet, but it is worth looking into for casual games.

Here is a list of tvOS games that I play, I posted this in another thread for someone else. It isn't a complete list, but a lot of good ones to check out:

The Oceanhorn series:

Three games total, all require a controller. The first one, Monster of Uncharted Seas is like TLOZ, A link to the Past and Windwaker.

The second, Knights of the Lost Realm is like TLOZ BOTW. This game is a huge, open world.

Free on Apple Arcade. One of the best games on Apple Arcade, imo.

The third, Chronos Dungeon, is like a 16-bit dungeon crawler.

Free on Apple Arcade.

Alto's Adventure:

Simple, but beautiful, relaxing, but addicting. It is a great game to unwind from work, nice music and visuals.

Free on Apple Arcade, or at least the "+" version. I bought this one way before it was on the Apple Arcade.

Plays great with the first Siri Remote.

Alto's Odyssey:

Sequel to Alto's Adventure, taking place in a desert instead of snowy mountains.

The "+" version is free on Apple Arcade. I bought this one way before it was on the Apple Arcade.

Inside:

It is kind of like a horror, puzzle game. I get creepy vibes from playing this one.

Plays okay with the first Siri Remote, but I prefer playing it with a controller. Love this game.

Real Racing 3:

This one is free. I have spent a lot of time on this one. It is fun, although overtime, it turns into a pay to win game. The cloud saving is glitchy as well. I had a bunch of time invested, and stopped playing for like 6 months. Went to play again, and all my progress was gone. Still, it is a great racing game.

Plays okay with the first Siri Remote, but I prefer playing it with a controller.

Asphalt 8:

I haven't played it in a while as I prefer RR3, but it is a fun and fast pace racing game.

The "+" version is free on Apple Arcade. I bought (or downloaded, can't remember if it was free or not) this one way before it was on the Apple Arcade.

Plays okay with the first Siri Remote, but I prefer playing it with a controller.

Skate City:

Fun skate boarding game. Good graphics for an AA game.

Requires a controller. Free on Apple Arcade.

Sonic the Hedgehog:

Classic Sonic. It is a great port. The App Store says that it is free now, but I thought I paid for it a while ago. I think it might be free with adds now, but you can purchase the ad-free version via IAP.

Sonic the Hedgehog 2:

Same quality as the first port. I always preferred it over the original when I was younger. Same with the first, this one is now free, just with an IAP for the "Premium Upgrade".

Sonic CD:

Another great port. Again, the same thing with it being free with an IAP.

Fantasian:

If you like RPGs like FF, then Fantasian might be for you. The creator was one of the same creators of the original FF game. It looks amazing, and gameplay is nice. One of the best looking games on tvOS.

The Oregon Trail:

Completely redesign from the older game and all the reboots. Looks great. A lot of scenarios and options, especially the more you play.

Plays okay with the first Siri Remote, but I prefer playing it with a controller. Free on Apple Arcade.

SongPop Party:

A remake from the SongPop game that was also on tvOS. Great game to play with the family, especially if you like all kinds of Music. It is like "Name that Tune". Basically, you listen to music, and compete against others to guess a song name, or artist name, as fast as you can.

Plays great with the first Siri Remote. It is free on Apple Arcade.

snak-atak

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 9, 2022
Yes, and depending on the game, you could play with multiple controllers, your use your families iPhones as controllers.

For example, for Song Pop Party, your family can use their iPhones as the controllers. You sent it up with an app that is in the iOS App Store. I think there is one of those QR codes on the tvOS game, so your family uses their camera on the QR code, it takes them to the app, download and play.

As for controllers, I have only connected one controller, but you can connect more, at least two. Not sure if you can do more than two.

I use the Steelseries Nimbus, but I wouldn't recommend that anymore. Apple added support for console gaming controllers, like Xbox and PS. I think Apple actually sells PS controllers for the ATV on their online store now.

I would go with one of those.

It is worth looking into, but keep in mind that the tvOS and ATV is a VERY CASUAL gaming console. They do have a few games that might be consider AAA, but the ATV is far from a real console (basically due to Apple mis-managing the ATV). Also, Apple gutted the tvOS App Store, making it very hard to browse for games now by removing the top 200 in tvOS 16. I think it is just a bug, and hopefully it will be fix. Apple Arcade is not affected, so it is easy to browse every Apple Arcade game available.

I wouldn't run out to get the new 128GB 2022 ATV4K3 quite yet, but it is worth looking into for casual games.

Here is a list of tvOS games that I play, I posted this in another thread for someone else. It isn't a complete list, but a lot of good ones to check out:

The Oceanhorn series:

Three games total, all require a controller. The first one, Monster of Uncharted Seas is like TLOZ, A link to the Past and Windwaker.

The second, Knights of the Lost Realm is like TLOZ BOTW. This game is a huge, open world.

Free on Apple Arcade. One of the best games on Apple Arcade, imo.

The third, Chronos Dungeon, is like a 16-bit dungeon crawler.

Free on Apple Arcade.

Alto's Adventure:

Simple, but beautiful, relaxing, but addicting. It is a great game to unwind from work, nice music and visuals.

Free on Apple Arcade, or at least the "+" version. I bought this one way before it was on the Apple Arcade.

Alto's Odyssey:

Sequel to Alto's Adventure, taking place in a desert instead of snowy mountains.

The "+" version is free on Apple Arcade. I bought this one way before it was on the Apple Arcade.

Inside:

It is kind of like a horror, puzzle game. I get creepy vibes from playing this one.

Plays okay with the first Siri Remote, but I prefer playing it with a controller. Love this game.

Real Racing 3:

This one is free. I have spent a lot of time on this one. It is fun, although overtime, it turns into a pay to win game. The cloud saving is glitchy as well. I had a bunch of time invested, and stopped playing for like 6 months. Went to play again, and all my progress was gone. Still, it is a great racing game.

Asphalt 8:

I haven't played it in a while as I prefer RR3, but it is a fun and fast pace racing game.

The "+" version is free on Apple Arcade. I bought (or downloaded, can't remember if it was free or not) this one way before it was on the Apple Arcade.

Skate City:

Fun skate boarding game. Good graphics for an AA game.

Sonic the Hedgehog:

Classic Sonic. It is a great port. The App Store says that it is free now, but I thought I paid for it a while ago. I think it might be free with adds now, but you can purchase the ad-free version via IAP.

Sonic the Hedgehog 2:

Same quality as the first port. I always preferred it over the original when I was younger. Same with the first, this one is now free, just with an IAP for the "Premium Upgrade".

Sonic CD:

Another great port. Again, the same thing with it being free with an IAP.

Fantasian:

If you like RPGs like FF, then Fantasian might be for you. The creator was one of the same creators of the original FF game. It looks amazing, and gameplay is nice. One of the best looking games on tvOS.

The Oregon Trail:

Completely redesign from the older game and all the reboots. Looks great. A lot of scenarios and options, especially the more you play.

Plays okay with the first Siri Remote, but I prefer playing it with a controller. Free on Apple Arcade.

SongPop Party:

A remake from the SongPop game that was also on tvOS. Great game to play with the family, especially if you like all kinds of Music. It is like "Name that Tune". Basically, you listen to music, and compete against others to guess a song name, or artist name, as fast as you can.

Plays great with the first Siri Remote. It is free on Apple Arcade.

Thanks so much for all the great advice. I think I will hang onto my box for now and will check out some of these games you recommended. Have a great day!

Reactions: Juicy Box

vddobrev

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2016
Haskovo, Bulgaria
What is the 2022 Apple TV 4K Audio output rate to the receiver? Is it still locked at 48KHz? Asking because I would like to play Apple Music Hi-Res Lossless audio using the Apple TV.

Aquaporin

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2005
USA
in what ways is it struggling?
Let's say I am streaming a kids show on Paramount -- The show will randomly pause to buffer and then the streaming app will be finicky until I restart the whole Apple TV. I have Wifi 6 and gigabit internet, and it only occurs on the Apple TV. This was not the case until I upgraded tvOS and I figure it's just the Apple TV running at the end of it's capabilities despite being beefy for a streaming device.

Reactions: BKDad

BKDad

macrumors regular
May 16, 2011
Let's say I am streaming a kids show on Paramount -- The show will randomly pause to buffer and then the streaming app will be finicky until I restart the whole Apple TV. I have Wifi 6 and gigabit internet, and it only occurs on the Apple TV. This was not the case until I upgraded tvOS and I figure it's just the Apple TV running at the end of it's capabilities despite being beefy for a streaming device.

I've had three Apple TV 4K's, two of the 2021 variety.

Every single one occasionally starts stuttering and it's always because of changing between programs on some app. It's like the internal clocks go to 1/8 speed all of a sudden. Both the playback and the user interface slow to a crawl, even after exiting the app. A restart fixes it every time. (Clearing unused apps doesn't help, either.) The ATV that I recently upgraded to tvOS 16 is the worst of the bunch. Yet, everybody keeps telling me that there's no bugs in the software.

The biggest advantage of the 2021 model over the last one is that because of the much faster processor, those restarts take much less time. The new ATV probably is even better in that regard.

This reminds me of the ole three finger salute that was often needed back in the Windows 95 and later days. Seeing that on the computers I used at work made me stick with Macs, even when Macs had their own sets of problems.

Too bad that Apple can't spare the resources to do real testing. Since this happens across multiple apps - not all - it has to be something in the SDK or the OS itself.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.