Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DaveXX

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2020
I bought a 2017 ATV for cheap back in the day. It's been working good for me but I'm wondering what kind(s) of benefit(s) would I see if I buy the newest ATV? I mainly stream YouTube TV and YouTube. I have a 65" LG C1 OLED tv. Do you guys (and gals) think it would be a worthwhile upgrade going from 2017 to 2022 versions?
As I already said. The better YouTube support was the main reason I switched.
I have two C1 as well and now I can finally use the YT app for 4K and HDR on my ATV.

ozziegn

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2007
Central FL Area
As I already said. The better YouTube support was the main reason I switched.
I have two C1 as well and now I can finally use the YT app for 4K and HDR on my ATV.

I didn't know I wasn't able to watch YouTube 4K and HDR on my C1 with my 2017 ATV. I mainly use the apps that are built in the C1. But I'm wanting to change because sometimes my C1 can get a little laggy in terms of using and switching the built in apps. The 2022 ATV could be the ticket for me.

iosuser

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2012
I have the 2017 version which I rare used, not sure why but I did just buy a 2022 ATV 128GB. What's crazy is the remote from the 2017 version still had 80% charge after all these years - I charged it *once* since I bought it.

So doing the typical Apple TV things which is streaming, there's absolutely no difference between the 2017 and 2022. I'm subscribed to Apple One so I installed a bunch of games off Apple Arcade. The difference is night and day playing Castlevania Grimoire of Souls. The 2017 version looks like it runs at 30fps and scrolling is quite choppy. On the 2022 it's buttery smooth 60fps. Yes I have them both set to the highest quality graphics setting.

If you play games at all on your ATV, it is a great upgrade. The extra bonus is the new remote which feels super high quality, and works better than the original from the 2017 ATV.

Neonblue

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2009
London
Very happy with the purchase. There was always obvious stuttering and lag when panning on 4K streams via my 2017 ATV (Ethernet) on my LG C1

Absolutely no stuttering or lag via the 2022 ATV.

This was worth the 2022 upgrade alone.

Reactions: EugW and Spankey

rkuo

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2010
Very happy with the purchase. There was always obvious stuttering and lag when panning on 4K streams via my 2017 ATV (Ethernet) on my LG C1

Was waiting to hear if the overall UX had improved. As good as the 2017 ATV was, it was still oddly stuttery for such a powerful chip. Don't mind paying a little bit more to get a completely smooth UX if that's what it takes.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
Well I got mine today. I had 2 2017 models and 2 2015 HD models. So at the very least I thought my HD models need to be phased out. Seems quite snappy so far and I like the remote. Much faster than my 2017 model.

Cord77

macrumors newbie
Mar 20, 2012
I got this back from Halfbrick after raising a question over how stuttery Jetpack Joyride 2 is on even the new Apple Tv 4K Gen 3. It's literally the only game I've been playing since the box arrived...

Unfortunately we no longer actively support the Apple TV version. This means the game will likely start to become buggy as more time passes. Because of this, we are unable to transfer data from the Apple TV version to a device and vice versa.

We appreciate you being a fan of the game, and we’re sorry we could not continue to actively support it.

Last edited:

Cord77

macrumors newbie
Mar 20, 2012
I got this back from Halfbrick after raising a question over how stuttery Jetpack Joyride 2 is on even the new Apple Tv 4K Gen 3. It's literally the only game I've been playing since the box arrived...

Unfortunately we no longer actively support the Apple TV version. This means the game will likely start to become buggy as more time passes. Because of this, we are unable to transfer data from the Apple TV version to a device and vice versa.

We appreciate you being a fan of the game, and we’re sorry we could not continue to actively support it.
Turns out this was incorrect information from their support. Someone from their discord channel said Apple TV is supported for JJ2. Maybe the support guy was thinking of the first JJ.

Spankey

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2007
NJ
The new ATV is obviously much faster but Wi-Fi performance is much improved over my previous 4k. Almost twice as fast for me. Im very happy with the upgrade.

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
What's crazy is the remote from the 2017 version still had 80% charge after all these years

The remote has amazing battery life. I can go months without recharging, as opposed to my Harmony remote which has to be recharged 1 or 2 times a week even when it is only starting up or shutting down my systems.

Sakurambo-kun

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2015
UK
Does the new model support ALLM? (Auto Low Latency Mode). This is an HDMI 2.1 feature used by the likes of the Series X and the PS5 to auto switch TVs into game mode when a game (rather than a movie) is started.

iAdamator

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2013
South San Francisco, CA
Bought the 128 a few days ago just to play with to compare it to the 2021 32g i have. Yes its somewhat snappier and its quicker to respond to program playback but visually I cannot tell the difference.
The 128 goes back today.
I bought the 128 last week and have yet to open it. I have the 2021 model as well. My wife absolutely wants me to return the new one as we just don’t need it. Her argument is to wait till we really need it. My thought is that the 2022 model may be the last one they release for awhile so why not get it now and enjoy it vs waiting and ending up getting the same model in a year or two.

All we do is stream. No gaming whatsoever.

I was curious if the 2022 is faster in UI navigation and it sounds like it is but just barely.

So torn. I don’t think I’ve seen a single post from anyone who upgraded from 2021 to 2022 and is glad they did.

Reactions: vitale

audiomixer

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2007
Idaho
I bought the 128 last week and have yet to open it. I have the 2021 model as well. My wife absolutely wants me to return the new one as we just don’t need it. Her argument is to wait till we really need it. My thought is that the 2022 model may be the last one they release for awhile so why not get it now and enjoy it vs waiting and ending up getting the same model in a year or two.

I was curious if the 2022 is faster in UI navigation and it sounds like it is but just barely.

So torn. I don’t think I’ve seen a single post from anyone who upgraded from 2021 to 2022 and is glad they did.
Then you would barely notice a difference with the 2022.

JBGoode

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2018

I have a 2017, 2021 and 2022. All three perform phenomenally. You'll never notice a difference between 2021 and 2022 if all you do is stream. There's barely a difference from the 2017 model.

iosuser

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2012

Outside of gaming, the 2022 model may be a bit smoother in navigating the UI, particularly when using the app switcher. I've only tried a few games on it so far, but it seems most are not optimized to take advantage of the extra power. An example here is Horizon Chase 2, some tracks are buttery smooth while some are stuttery mess and plays no differently than the 2017. Streaming videos there is absolutely no difference, unless you want HDR+.

The bottomline is the hardware is great, but until the developers update their apps to take advantage of it it's just wasted. I might return mine as well. The new remote is much much better though.

iAdamator

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2013
South San Francisco, CA
Outside of gaming, the 2022 model may be a bit smoother in navigating the UI, particularly when using the app switcher. I've only tried a few games on it so far, but it seems most are not optimized to take advantage of the extra power. An example here is Horizon Chase 2, some tracks are buttery smooth while some are stuttery mess and plays no differently than the 2017. Streaming videos there is absolutely no difference, unless you want HDR+.

The bottomline is the hardware is great, but until the developers update their apps to take advantage of it it's just wasted. I might return mine as well. The new remote is much much better though.
Appreciate the thoughts, thank you. Still haven't decided what to do but leaning towards returning the 2022 model. Since I do have the 2021 model, I do already benefit from the new style remote at least.

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
I have the 2017 4K 1st gen 32 GB with an LG TV. However, I despise the 2017 Apple TV remote.

The 2021 4K 2nd gens are now on sale.

CA$149 / US$111 - 64 GB 2021 4K 2nd gen
CA$179 / US$133 - 64 GB 2022 4K 3rd gen

Given these prices, which would you get, and why? Let's assume HDR10+ is not a concern. The main reason I want to upgrade is just for the new remote. I had considered just getting a remote for my 4K 1st gen, but it costs too much on its own.

I'm leaning toward the 2nd gen, so that I can get the Ethernet port.

rkuo

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2010
2022 all the way. USB-C remote, 3 generation newer chip … kind of a no brainer I think. Apple dropping the base price on top of the spec bump has made the older generations kind of a tough sell.

Reactions: TroyJam

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
2022 all the way. USB-C remote, 3 generation newer chip … kind of a no brainer I think. Apple dropping the base price on top of the spec bump has made the older generations kind of a tough sell.
Thanks, but I just ordered the 2021 64 GB. USB-C vs. Lightning is meaningless to me, and the 2021 includes the Ethernet port on the 64 GB model. Plus the 2021 64 GB is CA$30 cheaper than the 2022 64 GB, and CA$50 cheaper than the 2022 128 GB with Ethernet.

The biggest issue I had with the 2022 was the lack of an Ethernet port, and I wasn't about to get the higher priced 128 GB model just for that. The extra storage in the 128 model is unnecessary for me. I'm currently using a 32 GB 2017 model.

I thought about waiting until Black Friday, but these are clearance prices, and I'm afraid it might sell out by then. Actually, the 32 GB 2nd gen and 64 GB 2nd gen are the same price on clearance, strangely enough.

I think the best feature of the 2022 is QMS support but no TV even supports that yet. I think to take advantage of that I’d have to not only get a new TV, but also a new receiver. When the time comes in 5 years or whatever, I’ll get a new Apple TV then I suppose.

I guess the other benefit of the 2022 is the upgrade from 3 to 4 GB.

Last edited:

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017

I wonder how the 2021 and 2022 compare with regards to such stuttering. Also, what about Infuse performance?

rkuo

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2010
Thanks, but I just ordered the 2021 64 GB. USB-C vs. Lightning is meaningless to me, and the 2021 includes the Ethernet port on the 64 GB model. Plus the 2021 64 GB is CA$30 cheaper than the 2022 64 GB, and CA$50 cheaper than the 2022 128 GB with Ethernet.

The biggest issue I had with the 2022 was the lack of an Ethernet port, and I wasn't about to get the higher priced 128 GB model just for that. The extra storage in the 128 model is unnecessary for me. I'm currently using a 32 GB 2017 model.

I thought about waiting until Black Friday, but these are clearance prices, and I'm afraid it might sell out by then. Actually, the 32 GB 2nd gen and 64 GB 2nd gen are the same price on clearance, strangely enough.

I think the best feature of the 2022 is QMS support but no TV even supports that yet. I think to take advantage of that I’d have to not only get a new TV, but also a new receiver. When the time comes in 5 years or whatever, I’ll get a new Apple TV then I suppose.

I guess the other benefit of the 2022 is the upgrade from 3 to 4 GB.
I do of course like having an Ethernet port, but a video streaming device is by far the least likely to benefit from it as proper buffering takes care of everything. I do wire up most of my devices just because that’s what I do to keep wifi open for the devices that belong on wifi. I’m just waiting on a small sale on the 2022’s to upgrade.

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
Hmmm... CNN says the 2022 is much faster than the 2021 even just for navigation.

I’ve been using the 2021 version of the Apple TV 4K as my main streaming device since it was released, and after going through the initial setup process on the new Apple TV 4K, I immediately noticed a difference in how fast the apps loaded and navigation felt. Across the board, there was a noticeable difference.

One area where the speed boost was apparent was when I used Siri to request information, search the App Store or start a binge-watching session. Siri not only loaded faster, but the responses were almost instantaneous. Granted, part of the reason Siri loads faster is due to the new Siri interface that looks more like Siri on the iPad, taking up only a corner of the screen instead of taking over the entire TV.

Another area where the performance just felt faster was how quickly the Apple TV app would open and populate with suggestions of what to watch next.

LorneMalvo

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2021
Spain Alicante
Hello, I have a question, can you use the siri remote 2 control of the 1st generation apple tv 4K with the new 3rd generation 2022 apple tv 4k? , Thank you

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.