Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
I had problems pairing the remote from my 4K 2nd generation to the a 3rd generation. Ended up using the 3rd generation remote. Don't know why I had problems.

Reactions: EugW

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
Hello, I have a question, can you use the siri remote 2 control of the 1st generation apple tv 4K with the new 3rd generation 2022 apple tv 4k? , Thank you
Are you asking if you can use the First Generation Siri Remote that came with the 2017 ATV4K1 with the new 2022 ATV4K3?

If so, then yes, you can.

I have the original Siri Remote paired with my new 128 GB ATV4K3.

You can only pair one Siri Remote at a time, so when you pair one Remote, the other gets unpaired automatically.

The easiest thing to do is to pair the new (old) Remote after restarting the ATV. Do not touch the Remote that is currently paired until after the Remote that you want paired has went through the pairing process.

Reactions: LorneMalvo

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
I had problems pairing the remote from my 4K 2nd generation to the a 3rd generation. Ended up using the 3rd generation remote. Don't know why I had problems.
it might be that you cannot turn on or connect the currently paired Remote when trying to pair another.

Like I said before, the best way, in my opinion, is to restart the Apple TV but do not touch the currently paired remote. Hold the remote that you want to have paired a few inches away from the Apple TV. Press the menu button and the volume up button at the same time and hold it for about 10 seconds. It should automatically pair, and the remote that was paired ahoukd automatically unpair.

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
it might be that you cannot turn on or connect the currently paired Remote when trying to pair another

Made a mistake when setting it up. I unpaired the remote it showed, the one which shipped with the new Apple TV (?). When couldn't pair the old remote I then had to pair the new one. Older remotes have worked on newer models so likely could have gotten it to work if I spent more time on it.

jwolf6589

macrumors 601
Dec 15, 2010
Colorado
Let me start by saying that I don't expect another Apple TV upgrade for at least another 2-3 years, so if I am going to upgrade any time in the next year or two, I might as well get it now and reap the benefits, if there are any. I'll also disclose that my current Apple TV is connected to a Sony X950G 65 Inch TV in case that affects the discussion, and no, I will not upgrade that TV. I love it and will keep it until it dies.

So what's the differences? 2017 vs 2022
Processor:
A10X vs A15 Bionic
RAM: 3GB vs 4GB
Memory: 32GB (my model) vs 64GB (what I expect to get if I upgrade)
Remote: Old black style w/ lightning vs Newer silver style w/ USB-C
Supports: HDR vs High frame rate HDR and HDR10+ (I honestly don't know what any of this is or does)

Feel free to correct me if I got any of these specs wrong.

I don't need the ethernet and I have never heard a fan on my old device, so I don't care about those features.

What do we watch? Primarily Disney+, Amazon Prime, Paramount, some Weverse, and lots of YouTube.
Do we play games? Hardly, except for the occasional Minion Rush
What else do we do on the TV? Watch home videos, photos, and occasional Zoom calls w/ family

With all that out of the way, convince me one way or the other. Should I keep my existing Apple TV (2017) or upgrade to the new one? What's the pros and cons? Will you upgrade? What should I do with my old hardware? I don't want to just throw it away if I upgrade.

Mahalo!
Oh yes it's worth it. The remote alone is worth the price of the upgrade.

jwolf6589

macrumors 601
Dec 15, 2010
Colorado
Your 2017 ATV 4K is more than adequate for the kind of streaming you do. The new 2022 model is more hype than anything, and unless you are a hardcore gamer the new model isn't much of an improvement. If you are a hardcore gamer, you should find another service than Apple as they suck at gaming anyway.
Yes they are not the bets for gaming. I remember there used to be DVD based game systems back in the old days. Not sure if they still exist.

glindon

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2014
Phoenix
Coming from the 2017 4K I can hardly tell the difference. Really not liking the new remote. They added a mute button but that is in the bottom left where the old play/pause button was. Also they removed the ability to jump 10 seconds forward by clicking the right edge of the d-pad, where I could do that in YT with the old remote without having to pause the video first. Is there some method to jump ahead quickly that I’m missing? Or did YT update and remove the feature?

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
Really not liking the new remote. They added a mute button but that is in the bottom left where the old play/pause button was.
Yeah, a very poor design, especially for anyone coming from the original Siri Remote. I accidentally press the mute button all the time trying to use Siri.

Why didn't they put the Mute button where the Siri Button is?

You also cannot use the new remote on a lot of apps since it doesn't include the sensors that the original had.

I was never a huge fan on the original Siri Remote, and you could probably find some old posts of mine complaining about it, but the new design isn't the improvement that everyone, including MR claims it is.

Reactions: Tapper

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
I find the new remote about 10X better than the original Siri remote. 🤷‍♀️ In fact, I bought a new 2021 remote for my 2017 Apple TV, and I got the 2022 model Apple TV with the new remote too.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
The main difference, I find, is that apps seem to open and load a tad faster. There's also the new remote, and I haven't gotten round to playing with Apple Sing yet.

Mikey86uk

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2010
England
Got a good deal and used some vouchers to upgrade my 2017 Apple TV 4K.

On the Apple TV itself, what video settings do people suggest when using an LG C2?

Thanks.

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
Well HDMI 2.1 foe all the codecs people have been clamoring for! That's main reason to get the new one if you HDR videos natively!
Almost everything in HDMI 2.1 is optional. For this reason, the label of HDMI 2.1 means basically nothing.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
Well I think it's faster. I have the 2017 Apple TV which I upgraded from to the 2022 Apple TV 4K. I do find that it's snappier, I prefer the new remote and I like having 128GB of storage.

Reactions: jwolf6589

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
I like having 128GB of storage.
Me too, but still too small for me, wished there was a 256GB option.

I got the "out of storage" message a few weeks ago. I have since turned off Aerial Screensavers in an attempt to free up some space without having to delete any apps.

likegadgets

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2008
US
The 2022 model is crap. If you have a 2017 or 2021 - they work better, The 2022 adds only remote disconnects, ethernet por issues, and some blackouts with certain apps as Amazon Prime.

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
The 2022 model is crap. If you have a 2017 or 2021 - they work better, The 2022 adds only remote disconnects, ethernet por issues, and some blackouts with certain apps as Amazon Prime.
I've been getting blackouts in Amazon Prime after skipping intros, with both my 2017 and my 2022. This may be a tvOS 16 issue, because I didn't have this issue on the 2017 with tvOS 15. (The 2022 came with tvOS 16 pre-installed.)

OTOH, on my 2022, I've been getting unusual pauses for many seconds. However, that was on tvOS 16.1. I've since upgraded to 16.2 so we'll see how that goes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.