Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

erikkfi

macrumors 68000
May 19, 2017
No, Apple designed it so families with small children could be on the family account without having to be responsible for the bills - children can't sign legally binding contracts anyway, so they kind of have to do it this way.

Apple realizes that the number of "adults who share a household but have different payment methods" who all want to be on the same family plan are likely a vanishingly small percentage of those who want to use the family plan. If they wanted to make a "roommates plan," they would have.
Spouses who don’t have joint accounts aren’t “roommates.”

TechnoMonk

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2022
It still is centralised. There is still one central person sharing their purchases with a family, it just means that the people being shared with are not completely beholden to that person and can still make their own purchases if needed. I’m genuinely shocked at how much you’re struggling to understand this.
Hilarious.

Arctic Moose

macrumors 65816
Jun 22, 2017
Gothenburg, Sweden
It’s actually the complete opposite of that, though…. The OP is not asking for other people to give them money, they want to use their own money.

The tone in this thread is shocking, and the confusion on the part of the detractors is really odd. You all don’t seem to be understanding the complaint.

+1

The inflexibility of the Apple account in general, and family sharing in particular, is ridiculous.

Why is it not possible to use different credit cards for different purchases, or different types of purchases?

Why can’t the family organizer choose which purchases to share and which to hide?

Why does everyone in the family need to be able to see which devices the others have?

No, Apple designed it so families with small children could be on the family account without having to be responsible for the bills - children can't sign legally binding contracts anyway, so they kind of have to do it this way.

Apple realizes that the number of "adults who share a household but have different payment methods" who all want to be on the same family plan are likely a vanishingly small percentage of those who want to use the family plan. If they wanted to make a "roommates plan," they would have.

It is quite common for families with small children to contain two adults, sharing equal responsibility for the family while also retaining their individual identities.

They buy groceries for the household, gifts for the children, gifts for each other, drinks out with the girls and plane tickets for work, typically using different purchase methods for each.

I don’t think it is too much to ask for the Apple ID concept to reflect this reality.

Last edited:

TechnoMonk

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2022
+1

The inflexibility of the Apple account in general, and family sharing in particular, is ridiculous.

Why is it not possible to use different credit cards for different purchases, or different types of purchases?

Why can’t the family organizer choose which purchases to share and which to hide?

Why does everyone in the family need to be able to see which devices the others have?

It is quite common for families with small children to contain two adults, sharing equal responsibility for the family while also retaining their individual identities. I don’t think it is too much to ask for the Apple ID concept of a family to reflect this reality.
Family organizer can hide a purchase, it’s very easy to do.

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
As pointed out earlier - this is either something Apple doesn't want to take the time to address because it's just not necessary enough - or (more likely, IMO) a legal requirement from their agreements with app devs & media content providers.

Put in the feedback ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ it's helped before. We got DMA removed from audio a few years ago. Just don't be surprised if it takes a few years because of in-place agreements that need to expire.

IN THE MEANTIME....

You have four options 😬

TechnoMonk

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2022
Not without also hiding it from myself, which is annoying, and it is not possible to share that expensive BDSM app with my partner without also sharing it with the children.
Put in a feature request with Apple for your BDSM app use case. If there are enough BDSM app users, Apple will add the feature. Or you can have a separate App Store ID for use cases like this if you want your kids to be not involved in apps like that. Takes 20 seconds to switch user name and once installed, you don’t need to switch.

Reactions: Jumpthesnark

bollman

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2001
Lund, Sweden
If you're an adult and all you want is to make your own purchases using your own payment method, why are you part of a plan that is designed to literally do the opposite? 🤔
Because OP wants it both ways: both share purchases to save money, and have a full AppleID with no restrictions to do their own purchases.
"Family sharing" is for just that: families. Not for friends to share purchases to save money.

idmean

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2015
Apple is intentionally doing this to discourage people who don't have a strong relationship from forming an Apple family. The thinking is this: As the organizer, you probably won't add people who you don't strongly trust, since they can charge your credit card. On the other hand side, people who don't have a strong relationship with the organizer and wouldn't want to charge someone else's card wouldn't want to join. Of course, this isn't 100% foolproof, but it makes it much less appealing for people to "resell" their subscriptions or apps by offering random people to join their family and share the fee. Netflix had this problem to some degree, where people who barely knew each other shared Netflix accounts.

Reactions: AlexMac89

nottorp

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2014
Romania
Apple is intentionally doing this to discourage people who don't have a strong relationship from forming an Apple family. The thinking is this: As the organizer, you probably won't add people who you don't strongly trust, since they can charge your credit card. On the other hand side, people who don't have a strong relationship with the organizer and wouldn't want to charge someone else's card wouldn't want to join. Of course, this isn't 100% foolproof, but it makes it much less appealing for people to "resell" their subscriptions or apps by offering random people to join their family and share the fee. Netflix had this problem to some degree, where people who barely knew each other shared Netflix accounts.

Netflix charges you extra for multiple simultaneous streams, so why should they decide where those streams go?

aj_niner

Suspended
Dec 24, 2023
You can fix this if the family organizer turns off purchase sharing. https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201079

Works great for sharing subscriptions with adult family members who all buy their own apps/movies/etc. If the family organizer has children and want purchase sharing to control their kids’ purchases, you’re best off leaving the family sharing.
If I had a 17yo, 13yo, 9yo, 5yo & 1yo I'd do this.

I'd want to lock down my kids devices to avoid scams from reaching them.

h.gilbert

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2022
Bordeaux
"I am not the family organizer and it is not my card."
Then it seems only reasonable that you were refused the sale.
You may be on the plan, but it's not your account. :rolleyes:

I'm pretty sure you're wrong here. A family plan doesn't mean everybody is under the same Apple ID, but instead an organizer adds multiple people already with their own Apple ID to a plan. This is to share subscriptions like TV, News plus etc. OPs rant is justified IMO, it sounds like a stupid design.

h.gilbert

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2022
Bordeaux
If you're an adult and all you want is to make your own purchases using your own payment method, why are you part of a plan that is designed to literally do the opposite? 🤔

The point of family sharing is not put all purchases through one account. Why are so many people like you confidently touting the wrong information. It's a 5 second google search away.

From Apple's website.

"Family Sharing lets you and up to five other family members share access to amazing Apple services like Apple Music, Apple TV+, Apple News+ and Apple Arcade. Your group can also share iTunes, Apple Books and App Store purchases, an iCloud storage plan and a family photo album. You can even help locate each other’s missing devices."

A family subscription to Apple One is only like 20% more than one individual subscription, that's the main draw.

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
Here we go, find all sorts of excuses to make up for the fact that this system Apple designed is not good and needs improvements. Using iTunes gift card? Loading the account? While digital gift cards are readily available, the entire point of using credit card is to enjoy benefits and pay the bill some time later. Using gift cards is akin to use cash, but worse since you lose the Privacy benefit true cash brings.

People say just leave the “Family”. So instead of pointing out the system has issues and needs improvement, we just leave the bad system, except there is literally no alternative. It’s either yes or no, very binary, very Apple. Why things must be so black and white?

Apple seems to have extremely high ego and won’t let anyone hurt it or something. Rather than accepting the imperfection of their solutions, they blame customers who raises the issue As a default. We all have brain dead moments that just can’t see the obvious, but that does not apply to OP here, which is also echoed by another post highlighting the same issue.

Attitude like this is probably one reason why Apple is being targeted by governments around the world more intensely.

Apple should have an interpretation table featuring all English words they are using and define every single one of them in their ToS meaning instead of relying on common sense and logic. Surely it will work better for them.
You can use a credit card to buy gift cards. I do this all the time. Whenever I’m at the store I always pick one up. It help me keep things budgeted (I planned according to pick up a gift card every week). Instead of having my CC only being used. It’s too easy to buy a $4 movie here and there. And it can add up.

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
It’s a poor understanding, half baked I must say. Apple doesn’t say kids or adults. I shared my family plan with my wife, and Mom before we got kids their devices. What Apple clearly communicated about having one central organizer. Now if you want to make it hybrid with multiple organizers, it’s an enhancement. And that’s a separate conversation on what happens when kids start abusing multiple organizers. Next comes, providing ability to effectively handle Multiple organizers. Does Apple really need to support all fringe cases, unless there is a wider use.
Yes. How exactly would it determine which card to hit? Which organizer will get chosen this time for the IAP?

kiranmk2

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2008
This is definitely a pain and it's for no reason. If a member of a family has their own credit card attached to their Apple ID, there should be an option for purchases they make to be billed to their card rather than the family organiser's card. My wife and I both have 50 GB iCloud accounts (we don't need a 200 GB single account before anyone asks); we both have our own credits cards attached to our accounts; every month, her iCloud sub is billed to my account. If she has iTunes credit on her account it is billed to that rather than me. It drives me mad: not because I don't want to pay, but because it's just a stupid limitation of the system.

Adding iTunes credit to her account is not convenient (you have to keep an eye on the balance) and ties up cash (you give Apple £10+ so they get the benefit of interest/cash in hand, but you only use £0.99 each month). There should be a very simple solution which is to have an option to bill purchases to the attached credit card rather than the family organiser. If they want to stop people taking advantage of the family sharing options, then make it a requirement that the credit card billing addresses for each adult in the family account have to match.

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
Keep in mind all in most places you are an adult at age 18 legally. Most people go to college at this age. It is very rare to have an adult at 18 be super financially responsible. This just scales the complexity exponentially to address your concerns. What you all want is a third option - Adult and Responsible.

If you all aren’t sharing content heavily, just use separate accounts. This can’t handle every edge case. Gift cards is the best solution to this. If you really can’t spend the time to even get a digital gift card, there is a problem and this is a good barrier (dealt with this first hand with addiction, which is why even if it’s my card on my account I always use gift cards).

I do this everywhere. Amazon, Steam, PlayStation etc. I am 40 years old and dealt with severe addiction and debt due to these IAP and micro transactions. Having by your Credit Card saved is a potential issue for many many MANY people. I’m not alone in this which is why my family while also adults love the barriers too.

TechnoMonk

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2022
Yes. How exactly would it determine which card to hit? Which organizer will get chosen this time for the IAP?
Apple needs to create roles, and payments, apps associated with each role to manage it effectively. In essence, this becomes a business order management. Amazon doesnt offer this for consumer prime but gives more order management for small business/Business prime. May be Apple can create similar premium services like Amazon with order management baked in to the store. Of course it all depends on the demand. And even Amazon stays away from offering the same level of order management for Prime Video, Music, Apps and Kindle.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.