Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TechnoMonk

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2022
Keep in mind all in most places you are an adult at age 18 legally. Most people go to college at this age. It is very rare to have an adult at 18 be super financially responsible. This just scales the complexity exponentially to address your concerns. What you all want is a third option - Adult and Responsible.

If you all aren’t sharing content heavily, just use separate accounts. This can’t handle every edge case. Gift cards is the best solution to this. If you really can’t spend the time to even get a digital gift card, there is a problem and this is a good barrier (dealt with this first hand with addiction, which is why even if it’s my card on my account I always use gift cards).

I do this everywhere. Amazon, Steam, PlayStation etc. I am 40 years old and dealt with severe addiction and debt due to these IAP and micro transactions. Having by your Credit Card saved is a potential issue for many many MANY people. I’m not alone in this which is why my family while also adults love the barriers too.
Major Kudos to you. Way to go, by taking ownership of the problem and getting better in life.

Ethanmenzel

macrumors member
Dec 24, 2017
I’ve been asking for this since iOS 7 first introduced the family plan. Initially, they set up family plans so kids wouldn’t be allowed to purchase anything on their Apple devices without parental permission. It evolved to family sharing, where a family member could share their purchases.

What gets me is that I’m a grown adult who still can not make my own purchases while still being part of a family plan because my dad is the organizer as he should be, and therefore, only his credit card can be uploaded. After 21, if you choose to stay on a family plan, the organizer should not be informed of your purchases and should not be the only one who can upload their credit card for purchases.

The only way around this is to buy digital iTunes gift cards from Amazon. If you want to buy a subscription, you have to go through the company instead of through an in-app subscription.

It’s really stupid that I as an adult who wants to be on my parent's family plan can’t upload and use my own credit card.

Ethanmenzel

macrumors member
Dec 24, 2017
Of all the butt-stupid ways that Apple forces you to use their own subpar ways to get things done, this has to be far and above the most idiotic, braindead, not-thought-through aspect of the entire ecosystem:

I’m on a family plan and I cannot purchase things through the App Store. It requires me to verify the credit card information of the family organizer.

All I want to do is use my own ****ING CARD to make my own ****ING PURCHASE. I am a ****ING ADULT.
After 21 it should treat you as an adult and give you the option to ise your credit card.

• Haha
Reactions: AlexMac89

Ethanmenzel

macrumors member
Dec 24, 2017
This is why the check is in place. Kids aren’t the only ones that need help at times with spending too much. I’m happy this block is in place.

OP - just get an Apple Gift Card and load up your balance. That is what my family members do.

If they ever hit my credit card with a transaction, I have told them they are paying me back same day.
But sometimes you don’t want your parents to know what you are purchasing

Timpetus

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2014
Orange County, CA
Of all the butt-stupid ways that Apple forces you to use their own subpar ways to get things done, this has to be far and above the most idiotic, braindead, not-thought-through aspect of the entire ecosystem:

I’m on a family plan and I cannot purchase things through the App Store. It requires me to verify the credit card information of the family organizer.

All I want to do is use my own ****ING CARD to make my own ****ING PURCHASE. I am a ****ING ADULT.
Nobody forced you to be on a family plan, you accepted that invitation. They aren't designed to be used by people who don't share finances. There is a workaround using Apple gift cards, so if you don't want to leave the family plan you have one extra small step to allow you to do what you want here.

TechnoMonk

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2022
Just create your own App Store ID, use it when you need to purchase something first time individually outside family sharing ID. Apple won’t stop you from having your own separate ID. Much simpler than what others do to install apps available in third party country for first install.

Lift Bar

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2023
I’ve been asking for this since iOS 7 first introduced the family plan. Initially, they set up family plans so kids wouldn’t be allowed to purchase anything on their Apple devices without parental permission. It evolved to family sharing, where a family member could share their purchases.

What gets me is that I’m a grown adult who still can not make my own purchases while still being part of a family plan because my dad is the organizer as he should be, and therefore, only his credit card can be uploaded. After 21, if you choose to stay on a family plan, the organizer should not be informed of your purchases and should not be the only one who can upload their credit card for purchases.

The only way around this is to buy digital iTunes gift cards from Amazon. If you want to buy a subscription, you have to go through the company instead of through an in-app subscription.

It’s really stupid that I as an adult who wants to be on my parent's family plan can’t upload and use my own credit card.
The family plan is designed for shared benefits under one account holder, much like a household sharing a set of DVDs. If you’re looking to make independent purchases, staying on the family plan complicates that desire. Transitioning to your own account, while potentially more costly, is about gaining independence and taking full control of your purchases and subscriptions. It's a natural step towards personal autonomy in your digital and financial life.

ShadowJade

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2014

My kids are in my family sharing, they both buy what they wish…Card is my default card.they text me Cash immediately, I pay my card balance with the Cash.

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
The family plan is designed for shared benefits under one account holder, much like a household sharing a set of DVDs. If you’re looking to make independent purchases, staying on the family plan complicates that desire. Transitioning to your own account, while potentially more costly, is about gaining independence and taking full control of your purchases and subscriptions. It's a natural step towards personal autonomy in your digital and financial life.
You know that if a household shares a set of DVDs, people in that house can still buy their own DVDs on the side, right? It’s a bad analogy to try excuse a user-hostile choice by Apple.

The restriction exists because if people get frustrated enough they will double-buy to get around the overly-limiting restrictions that come with purchase sharing.

Lift Bar

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2023
You know that if a household shares a set of DVDs, people in that house can still buy their own DVDs on the side, right? It’s a bad analogy to try excuse a user-hostile choice by Apple.

The restriction exists because if people get frustrated enough they will double-buy to get around the overly-limiting restrictions that come with purchase sharing.
You're right, my DVD analogy falls short in capturing the nuances of digital purchases and shared accounts. The heart of the matter seems to be a desire for a balance between shared access to purchases and individual financial autonomy. While an unrestricted sharing model among adults sounds ideal for user-friendliness, it does pose a challenge for maintaining a viable sales model. Apple's restrictions, albeit frustrating, are likely in place to prevent potential loss of sales that could occur if there were no limits on sharing. It's a complex issue where the line between user convenience and business needs is hard to draw perfectly.

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
You're right, my DVD analogy falls short in capturing the nuances of digital purchases and shared accounts. The heart of the matter seems to be a desire for a balance between shared access to purchases and individual financial autonomy. While an unrestricted sharing model among adults sounds ideal for user-friendliness, it does pose a challenge for maintaining a viable sales model. Apple's restrictions, albeit frustrating, are likely in place to prevent potential loss of sales that could occur if there were no limits on sharing. It's a complex issue where the line between user convenience and business needs is hard to draw perfectly.
It's not that hard. Let people who do family sharing also use their own payment method. Families are already restricted to six people, and I believe devs can even restrict their apps from purchase sharing if that's such a major concern. The potential losses seem pretty minimal.

• Angry
Reactions: AlexMac89

Lift Bar

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2023
It's not that hard. Let people who do family sharing also use their own payment method. Families are already restricted to six people, and I believe devs can even restrict their apps from purchase sharing if that's such a major concern. The potential losses seem pretty minimal.
Your suggestion essentially shifts the concept of a 'family' in the context of Apple's family sharing to that of a 'cooperative' of 6 adults. This idea fundamentally alters the premise of the family plan from a tool designed to help families manage and share digital purchases together, under a unified account for simplicity and security, to a system aimed at maximizing cost savings for any group of 6 people. In effect, it restructures the family plan into a mechanism where each purchase essentially grants 6 access keys to content.

This change alters how digital goods are valued and sold on Apple's platform, impacting the economics for developers and content creators. It moves away from the intended use of supporting genuine family units with shared access to content, towards a model that significantly undercuts the value of digital products. Such a model offers immediate savings for users but also leads to broader implications for content pricing, availability, and the sustainability of the ecosystem supporting creators and developers.

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
Your suggestion essentially shifts the concept of a 'family' in the context of Apple's family sharing to that of a 'cooperative' of 6 adults. This idea fundamentally alters the premise of the family plan from a tool designed to help families manage and share digital purchases together, under a unified account for simplicity and security, to a system aimed at maximizing cost savings for any group of 6 people. In effect, it restructures the family plan into a mechanism where each purchase essentially grants 6 access keys to content.

This change alters how digital goods are valued and sold on Apple's platform, impacting the economics for developers and content creators. It moves away from the intended use of supporting genuine family units with shared access to content, towards a model that significantly undercuts the value of digital products. Such a model offers immediate savings for users but also leads to broader implications for content pricing, availability, and the sustainability of the ecosystem supporting creators and developers.
I think we have fundamentally different ideas of what a family is. Not all families have kids. Not all kids need to be controlled so closely. What you're describing is a single, relatively restrictive concept of a family. It's not like families can't exist where every member is an adult, or where there are more adults than kids, or where the adults might want to not pool their expenses into one big bucket. Apple's family sharing model is less about family sharing and more about parental control.

Lift Bar

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2023
I think we have fundamentally different ideas of what a family is. Not all families have kids. Not all kids need to be controlled so closely. What you're describing is a single, relatively restrictive concept of a family. It's not like families can't exist where every member is an adult, or where there are more adults than kids, or where the adults might want to not pool their expenses into one big bucket. Apple's family sharing model is less about family sharing and more about parental control.
I understand where you're coming from. While I recognize that a “family” can indeed be any collective of humans, broadening Apple's family plan to encompass this wider definition strays from its original intent. It's clear that such a change would significantly shift the plan's spirit and impact its economic model. Apple, despite its progressive stance on many social issues, operates within the constraints of being a business. This reality shapes decisions like those around the family plan, balancing inclusivity with sustainability.

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
I understand where you're coming from. While I recognize that a “family” can indeed be any collective of humans, broadening Apple's family plan to encompass this wider definition strays from its original intent. It's clear that such a change would significantly shift the plan's spirit and impact its economic model. Apple, despite its progressive stance on many social issues, operates within the constraints of being a business. This reality shapes decisions like those around the family plan, balancing inclusivity with sustainability.
I disagree that it would "significantly shift the plan's spirit and impact its economic model". I think it would actually fit better with the plan's spirit, and might have a small to modest economic impact. But at this point we're both just making educated guesses, so it doesn't really matter. Apple clearly doesn't want to make this more convenient for users, and so I simply continue not to use it.

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
Major Kudos to you. Way to go, by taking ownership of the problem and getting better in life.
Thanks! It’s definitely something you DONT want to get into. I’m now on the other side of the equation and have a significant savings and retirement fund. But it was a lot of work. I still use those habits I developed when I was in debt (meaning don’t spend a lot and still use gift cards).

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
You can use a credit card to buy gift cards. I do this all the time. Whenever I’m at the store I always pick one up. It help me keep things budgeted (I planned according to pick up a gift card every week). Instead of having my CC only being used. It’s too easy to buy a $4 movie here and there. And it can add up.
Yes but that’s more of a personal financial management strategy than something apple decides to force upon, which they don't directly but this workaround exists for a reason. I totally agree buying gift cards can help better managing App Store expenses, but what OP wants is not that.

Reactions: boss.king

Ctrlos

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2022
It’s actually the complete opposite of that, though…. The OP is not asking for other people to give them money, they want to use their own money.

The tone in this thread is shocking, and the confusion on the part of the detractors is really odd. You all don’t seem to be understanding the complaint.
The OP's original request isn't unreasonable. What the audience is trying to figure out is why a 30 year old adult is still on a family plan at all to begin with as anything other than an organiser

Family sharing was introduced in iOS8 in 2014 when the OP was 20 and either working or at college. If it was the former the audience will just assume they were sponging (whether its true or not) whereas if its the latter then they should have left as soon as they finished their studies.

Either way the solution is for the family organiser to just kick them off.

Ctrlos

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2022

This is a genuine Q: why as a functional adult would you want to be in your parent's family plan and not just do things yourself?

mrochester

macrumors 601
Feb 8, 2009
I have family sharing with 4 other adults so that we can all share the 2tb iCloud storage. However, as the organiser, I don’t have purchase sharing switched on. I don’t think any of my family have ever purchased anything in the App Store or music or books etc etc.

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
Yes but that’s more of a personal financial management strategy than something apple decides to force upon, which they don't directly but this workaround exists for a reason. I totally agree buying gift cards can help better managing App Store expenses, but what OP wants is not that.
What OP wants is to buy his own stuff. Gift card solves that.

Is there seriously still no way to make my own purchases on a family plan?

Yes there is. Use you Apple Balance.

Like I said. My family and I do this all the time. They are free to make their own purchases. They don’t need to tell me or let me know as it’s their apple balance.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jumpthesnark

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
This is a genuine Q: why as a functional adult would you want to be in your parent's family plan and not just do things yourself?

I’m on a family plan with my parents. 🤷‍♀️

I’m the organizer though. They’re not techie so I manage the Apple One/iCloud subscriptions, monthly AC+, etc.

Reactions: Student of Life

Student of Life

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2020

This might be the most honest post and the real heart of the issue here.

Whatever it is you dont want you parents/ family to know will show up on the family sharing anyways. To bypass this issue, you, the person needs to remove themselves from the family plan, they get the privacy they want but lose out on the family benefits.

This happened to a family member and his spouse, it did raise some eyebrows as to what in the world they were trying to hide but thats another issue for the family member and his spouse to address.

Reactions: Jumpthesnark
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.