Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

esaelias187

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2017
Well, yeah. Good replicas are, damn good. I own a bunch.

I own replicas too yet they all fall apart....I mean looking at his reviews a lot of customers are happy, obv recently he had a negative review.

like I said before I did order the black leather loop which I hope is real as he messaged saying he hasn't got many left, if its fake I hope its real leather if it is fake ill compare it in the apple store and he does say can return within 30 days

dojoman

macrumors 68000
Apr 8, 2010
I wouldn't worry about it. My leather loop is legit and the guy with the link band looks legit. If these are fake then they are the best fakes out there and definitely worth the price.

I received brown leather loop from this seller but I'm still not sure it's real. The metal pieces like lugs and loop ring came with plastic sticker wrap, Apple would never make these with wraps like this. When I remove the wrap some glue were left on the lugs. One of the leather loop is also missing 42MM marking. I asked the seller if they're real still waiting for respond. I should have taken some picture of the plastic wrap around metal lugs (not the bubble wrap).

Reactions: ggab

esaelias187

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2017
I received brown leather loop from this seller but I'm still not sure it's real. The metal pieces like lugs and loop ring came with plastic sticker wrap, Apple would never make these with wraps like this. When I remove the wrap some glue were left on the lugs. One of the leather loop is also missing 42MM marking. I asked the seller if they're real still waiting for respond. I should have taken some picture of the plastic wrap around metal lugs (not the bubble wrap).

is the leather loop is actual soft leather though

if I was you id threaten to him saying its fake and say give you partial refund

or send it back

bbednarz

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2017
Chicago
Thats just how they are shipping them. They arent going to come in the real packaging from Apple. Post pictures of what they look like and we can let you know if they are real or not.

dojoman

macrumors 68000
Apr 8, 2010
Thats just how they are shipping them. They arent going to come in the real packaging from Apple. Post pictures of what they look like and we can let you know if they are real or not.

is the leather loop is actual soft leather though

if I was you id threaten to him saying its fake and say give you partial refund

or send it back

Leather feels ok I don't think it's soft but then I don't really know what the real ones supposed to feel I might go to Apple store to check them out.

Here are the pics notice the short loop doesn't have 42MM marking but longer one seems to be legit with Assembled in China engraving but the plastic sticker type protectors are not in unboxing video so still not sure, but they could be straight from factory but that seems so inconvenient to remove and glue left over.

Attachments

• IMG_0886.jpeg
    IMG_0886.jpeg
    727.2 KB · Views: 542
  • IMG_0887.jpeg
    IMG_0887.jpeg
    746.9 KB · Views: 495
  • IMG_0888.jpeg
    IMG_0888.jpeg
    429.2 KB · Views: 556
  • IMG_0889.jpeg
    IMG_0889.jpeg
    406.7 KB · Views: 541

bbednarz

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2017
Chicago
Leather feels ok I don't think it's soft but then I don't really know what the real ones supposed to feel I might go to Apple store to check them out.

Here are the pics notice the short loop doesn't have 42MM marking but longer one seems to be legit with Assembled in China engraving but the plastic sticker type protectors are not in unboxing video so still not sure, but they could be straight from factory but that seems so inconvenient to remove and glue left over.
The longer portion is definitely genuine. The shorter version I am not sure if they typically have the markings on them or not. If the leather feels the same on both pieces then I would assume its legit and not fret.

dojoman

macrumors 68000
Apr 8, 2010
The longer portion is definitely genuine. The shorter version I am not sure if they typically have the markings on them or not. If the leather feels the same on both pieces then I would assume its legit and not fret.

Shorter loop should have 42MM written also see the seller's pic but very likely it got rubbed off because some writing are already coming off from longer strap on mine.

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    165.2 KB · Views: 405

JonoNZ

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
I’m wondering if these are returned stock? Interesting that the seller says the SB Link Bracket may have scratches on it...that would not be normal on new stock from Apple, but could be something that a purchaser would return to Apple or another seller.

Ron21

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2007
I ordered the stainless steel link, will post pictures when it arrives. I might purchase one from Apple to compare ;)

Reactions: techno-Zen

KarimLeVallois

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2014
London
I’m wondering if these are returned stock? Interesting that the seller says the SB Link Bracket may have scratches on it...that would not be normal on new stock from Apple, but could be something that a purchaser would return to Apple or another seller.

Either that or factory rejects.

Reactions: bluespark

PharmDao

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2015
Just got my space black link bracket from the seller and I’m satisfied. I bought it in “used condition” according to the listing. It had some scratches on the inside of the band and some light scratches on the outside, but not even noticeable unless you look more closely. I wanted this band since the first watch came out.

Attachments

• 9483DF65-0152-493C-96B5-CB5C49C353E3.jpeg
    9483DF65-0152-493C-96B5-CB5C49C353E3.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 772
  • 320432EC-3161-42AB-86EA-1608EEF064D8.jpeg
    320432EC-3161-42AB-86EA-1608EEF064D8.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 734
  • 30843CA4-D70E-43B6-9413-F8A0EE8CC4C1.jpeg
    30843CA4-D70E-43B6-9413-F8A0EE8CC4C1.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 722
  • 04ED7C25-914B-481E-8450-6A3AB74A0C84.jpeg
    04ED7C25-914B-481E-8450-6A3AB74A0C84.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 791

gigaguy

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2010
USA
The seller is a good guy. He's not a hack or a scammer. I bought from him up to a year ago. The many pieces I got were the same as Apple but I do not know the whole origin. Same product but could be factory rejects or returns in China. They are definitely from the same origin as the Apple packaged ones, at least all the items I got were, inc Black link, and leather loops. THe first ones I bought were fully marked like Apple's, later ones had some markings missing , but same product and he always accurately described the items and markings.

myc5038

macrumors member
Oct 28, 2013
i talked to a few of the sellers via taobao (aliexpress) and they say they get them right off the factory lines through friends without packaging or protection. I assume they grab a bunch and throw them all in one bag, hence the "used" condition (light scratches).

JonoNZ

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
i talked to a few of the sellers via taobao (aliexpress) and they say they get them right off the factory lines through friends without packaging or protection. I assume they grab a bunch and throw them all in one bag, hence the "used" condition (light scratches).

So these are stolen goods? There is no way Apple would allow their partners to give away product, seconds or otherwise.

jags828

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2013
Purchased a SB link band from this seller, took two weeks to get here, it’s legit. Would recommend.

minifridge1138

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2010
The pictures of the black leather loop look identical to the black leather loop I bought from Apple with my S0. The short band does not have "assembled in china" engraved on it. I wish Apple still sold them in black. It's my favorite band, but the leather has started to wear after 3 years.

Just a a thought exercise on "how is this possible..."

1) They could be counterfeit; made in a different factory in (I assume) China with the same/similar tooling. This gets into trademark, patent, design violations.

2) They could be made in the same factory and a manager/owner just runs the shop for a few extra hours to make goods to be sold directly to consumers for more money than selling to Apple. I assume this would violate the contract with Apple.

3) They could be made in the same factory and a manager/owner just runs a few extra assembly lines to make goods to be sold directly to consumers instead of selling to Apple. Sort of "apple pays me to run 5 assembly lines, and I run a 6th just for myself and sell directly on eBay." I assume this would violate the contract with Apple.

4) They could be made in the same factory and these are QA rejects. There are most likely contractual obligations that rejects are to be destroyed / recycled. If so, then yes, that would be theft - Apple still owns the rejects and specifies what is supposed to happen to them. It's just a question of "is an employee stealing rejects from the factory or is the factory stealing rejects from Apple."

5) They could be made in the same factory on the same assembly line. Employees are just stuffing a few in their pockets and walking out with them. "5 for Apple, 1 for me. 5 for Apple, 1 for me". Theft.

6) They could be some form of customer return. I struggle to think of a good scenario where a 3rd party would have access to stock that was returned by a customer to Apple. You'd either have to get the returned item from the customer BEFORE they returned it to Apple (which would be completely legitimate - I'm free to sell my watch band to anyone and they can resell it) or get a returned item from Apple after it was returned (this would only be legitimate if Apple was selling returned product to a 3rd party after it was returned - which seems unlikely). Although, it is possible that Apple has partnered with a 3rd party to help handle/process returns and some returns "fall off of a truck".

7) The are Grey Market and because of taxes, exchange rates, etc it is profitable to buy legitimate products from Apple in China and then resell them internationally. It's possible, but I'd expect the price difference to be closer to 10%. This happens a lot with camera equipment - lenses are cheaper in Canada than in the USA, so you could go to Canada, buy it and save 20%. But (1) you're supposed to declare at the border that you bought something and pay an import tax (2) the warranty may only be good in Canada, so if you need it repaired you have to travel back into Canada.

Personally, based on the pictures that have small defects (small scuffs/scrapes, partially rubbed off engravings on the leather), I think #4 is most likely.

iphoneuserinyyz

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2011
I just received one of the silver stainless steel link bracelets from this seller. The band was in like-new condition, and is identical to the one sold by Apple. However, the band is missing the tiny markings where the band joins the watch, which leads me to suspect that it is a very good knockoff rather than the real deal. Otherwise, seems to be a perfect replica of the real thing.

Reactions: blwade

Mikeeee

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2017
Yup. Bought an SS Link bracelet from him a while back. Paid $100. It is absolutely legit and came almost completely flawless. It's become my favorite band.

Was that for a 38mm size? It seems the 42-44mm size is $150 today.
[doublepost=1539661928][/doublepost]
I just received one of the silver stainless steel link bracelets from this seller. The band was in like-new condition, and is identical to the one sold by Apple. However, the band is missing the tiny markings where the band joins the watch, which leads me to suspect that it is a very good knockoff rather than the real deal. Otherwise, seems to be a perfect replica of the real thing.

Can you show us what markings you're referring to?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.