Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OSMac

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 14, 2010
Anyone tried the just released itether cydia app?

I read it runs on a jb iPad and allows for a simple Bluetooth tether connection to an iPhone. The iPhone does not even need to be jb. Just $5 too compared to $20 for the mywi app.

BigHonkingDeal

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2009
Fort Pierce
Got it today, works really well and uses less battery than MyWi.

Anyone tried the just released itether cydia app?

I read it runs on a jb iPad and allows for a simple Bluetooth tether connection to an iPhone. The iPhone does not even need to be jb. Just $5 too compared to $20 for the mywi app.

silentsim

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2010
Bought iTether today. No speed loss on the the tethered iPad. Well worth the 5$ to save a ridiculous amount of battery compared to MyWi. (And don't have to install Rock ;))

iThinman

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2010
What am I missing? If the iPhone 4 is not jail broken, does this mean this is for using the $20 AT&T tether plan on the iPad through the iPhone?

tia

IrishVixen

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2010
What am I missing? If the iPhone 4 is not jail broken, does this mean this is for using the $20 AT&T tether plan on the iPad through the iPhone?

tia

From what I've read both in the iPhone Hacks forum here and on the ibluever blog, if you don't jailbreak the iPhone 4 and apply the tethering "patch", you will indeed have to use AT&T's tethering plan at $20/month + $25 for 2 GB bandwidth.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/987813/

thrill5one6

macrumors regular
Mar 30, 2010
Bad description on cydia and the only YouTube video on it isn't in English but I gave it a shot since I use mywi about 7 hours a day, 5 days a week for my ipad.
Itether was confusing to set up but it does seem quicker than mywi.
I downloaded it on my jailbroken iPhone first then on my jailbroken ipad.
You have to first go into iPhone settings>network>Internet teather>on
then open the app on the ipad, and connect the ipad to the iPhone via Bluetooth. For some reason Bluetooth must be off on the ipad and iPhone for it to work (it turns it on for you).
All in all it is worth the $5

hehe123

macrumors newbie
Aug 10, 2010
Yes, to me, itether is definitely better than MyWi in terms of cost, ease of use and battery performance . I can tether from my un-jailbroken iphone to my jailbroken ipad running itether. I live in Canda and my iphone carrier allows tethering. A great app.

Still

macrumors member
Nov 26, 2008
so I got a question :confused:

can I install iTether on my iPad 3G and then tether my MacbookPro to it ? (via bluetooth or usb)

I would buy it if. this works !

would be great to have some clarification on that.

takufu01

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2009
iTether Set Up

can someone who is using itether post your set up...I bought the app...IPad is JB...but cant get it to work with my IPhone 4....searched the forum but no real set up help....thanks!

nineohtoo

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2009
SF Bay Area
Still,

itether doesn't let you allow your iPad/iPod to be an Internet source. It let's those two get onto an iPhone via Bluetooth. To let other devices use your iPad 3G you probably need mywi.

Still

macrumors member
Nov 26, 2008
Still,

itether doesn't let you allow your iPad/iPod to be an Internet source. It let's those two get onto an iPhone via Bluetooth. To let other devices use your iPad 3G you probably need mywi.

Thank you for the info!

braddick

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2009
Encinitas, CA
Even though I have MyWi I purchased this app as a backup. Now I like it enough to use it as my primary tether and allow MyWi to be the backup tethering source!

Doc750

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2010
can someone who is using itether post your set up...I bought the app...IPad is JB...but cant get it to work with my IPhone 4....searched the forum but no real set up help....thanks!

So I did this today with my Iphone 4 and Ipad.

Iphone 4
- Install tetherme $2
- Install sbsettings tether

IPad
- Install Iteather $5

- Pair both devices

Now make sure you reboot both devices. I had to do a complete reboot (ie hold power button and home key for 5 seconds, and then reboot)

turn off wifi on Ipad
turn blue tooth off on IPad

Turn on tethering through Sbsettings on Iphone
Turn on bluetooth on Iphone

now click on Itether on Ipad, and follow the prompts.

It works most of the time. I find myself still having to do reboots. My Iphone even bricked on me once.
I'm thinking I should have just coughed up the $10 for MiWI. At least it worked right every time.

lokerd

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2010
Beaumont
iTether vs. iBluever? Palm Centro?

Hello. How does this new app, iTether, compare to iBluever?

I have a sprint Palm Centro. I have tethered laptops, Mac and PC to my Sprint Phone in the past via USB and BlueTooth. I tried to get my iPad to connect to the Sprint Palm Centro with iBluever, but could not get it to work.

Will iTether on the iPad let it connect to the built in modem of the Centro?

I know it will be slow...it is for when there is no 3g. Sprint network is pretty good around here in some places.

Thanks!

IrishVixen

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2010
So far, huge waste of $5. It worked once, that's all. After that, it wouldn't connect with the iPhone. After reboots, and reinstalls, all I get is "Tether daemon quit unexpectedly" and then it crashes.

Very unimpressed.

Edit: found on another forum--

I found that my iphone only pairs sporadically at best if left on any screen apart from the Tethering settings – there it works every time

So I tried the following--

iPad: turned off wifi and BT. Opened iTether, no more daemon issues.
iPhone: turned on BT and used Internet Tethering settings screen instead of SBSettings toggle.

Hit the switch in iTether and it logged in fine. I'll be testing this off and on all afternoon to see if it changes.

iThinman

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2010
Works fine on both mine and my wife's ipad's. Have used it about 3-4 times each since released. Make sure Bluetooth is disabled of course.

Needs an SBSettings toggle.

Ectropian

macrumors newbie
Mar 15, 2010
Wasted $5

Ok, well after reading most of the posts, it looks like I just wasted $5 on iTether because I don't want to jailbreak my iPad. I also want to use this with my laptop, which I guess I cannot do without an iTether client.

Any other suggestions? Guess I'll just spend another $10 on MyWi

redmachine

macrumors member
Dec 4, 2007
I wouldn't waste your time or money with this.

I couldn't get it to work with ip4.0 and iPad 3.2.0 both jail broken.

If you go on the developers site there are loads with similar problems, connections lost or dropping etc.

MyWi will give you a free 10 day trial and if you want the full version its only $20 dollars which considering it actually works isn't as much of a rip off!

redmachine

macrumors member
Dec 4, 2007
Ok, well after reading most of the posts, it looks like I just wasted $5 on iTether because I don't want to jailbreak my iPad. I also want to use this with my laptop, which I guess I cannot do without an iTether client.

Any other suggestions? Guess I'll just spend another $10 on MyWi

Why don't you want to jailbreak?

IrishVixen

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2010
An update:

Just returned from a week-long trip with just the iPad and iPhone along, no laptop. For the most part, I did have wifi available where we were staying, so I typically only had to use the iTether/TetherMe solution for brief periods most days. For those short times--check email, a few forums, the baseball stats--it performed flawlessly each time so long as I had left BT and tethering enabled on the phone, and so long as wifi and BT were off on the iPad when I opened iTether.

I did have one two hour stint of tethering in the Denver Airport on the way home. That session was a little marred by a few dropped connections. Finally I turned wifi and BT off on both devices (even though wifi was not connected on either) and then turned BT back on on the phone before asking iTether to connect again. From that point on, it ran without a hitch--about an hour with no interruptions, mostly light surfing and a couple of downloads (saving webpages and adding a couple of apps). It hasn't again required that I remain on the Network settings page as I noted above; I do just leave the tethering setting switched on now though as there doesn't seem to be a reason to turn it off really.

For $7 total between the two programs, I feel I got my money's worth. Yes, the combo is a little persnickety about how everything needs to be set before I turn iTether on, but it's minor really. As an occasional use solution, it seems to be a good choice.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.