Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WhatAmI

macrumors 6502a
Sep 2, 2009
For $7 total between the two programs, I feel I got my money's worth. Yes, the combo is a little persnickety about how everything needs to be set before I turn iTether on, but it's minor really. As an occasional use solution, it seems to be a good choice.

Excellent summary and an excellent choice of word for it. :D

MikePA

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2008
I am missing what people are calling persnickety. I use the Tethering SBSettings toggle turned on my iPhone all the time. When I want to connect my iPad I start iTether and connect. Pretty simple, nothing persnickety about it.

iPhoneVic

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2008
you folks

that can't get it to work must be doing something painfully wrong...
mine worked right out of the box...

scirica

macrumors 68020
May 13, 2008
Dallas, TX
Ok, well after reading most of the posts, it looks like I just wasted $5 on iTether because I don't want to jailbreak my iPad. I also want to use this with my laptop, which I guess I cannot do without an iTether client.

Any other suggestions? Guess I'll just spend another $10 on MyWi

Why don't you just use the USB tethering to your laptop. Bluetooth client isn't necessary for that. This is a great pair of programs for iphone/ipad tethering, but I go USB from my iphone to my laptop.

IrishVixen

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2010
I am missing what people are calling persnickety. I use the Tethering SBSettings toggle turned on my iPhone all the time. When I want to connect my iPad I start iTether and connect. Pretty simple, nothing persnickety about it.

I have the exact same toggle. Nothing but problems when I use it, and yes, I've both made sure it was the correct toggle and followed others' directions who've had success in trying to use it. No idea what's on my phone that might be interfering with it as I've kept things pretty minimal post JB, but obviously something is.

Like any software on any platform, different configurations outside the specific app can and will produce different results. Again, for me, tethering is a VERY occasional thing and basically never a real necessity, so I'd rather deal with these fairly minor issues than triage them. For anyone who uses this on a daily basis, it's a different story.

Macthang

macrumors newbie
Sep 4, 2010
Itether

My iPhone is jb. Does my iPad need to be jb too for itether to work?

Currently I can use mywi without jbing my ipad

El Aurens

macrumors member
Mar 3, 2010
London, Ontario, Canada
I just installed iTether on my iPad 3G and it's working perfectly with my Virgin Mobile iPhone 4. Now I no longer need 2 data plans, both devices can share the 6gb per month iPhone data plan!

Titchy

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2007
Palm City, FL
I did the jailbreak on both the iPad and an iPhone 3gs. It took me a few times to get it figured out since my iPad kept wanting a pass key. Neither was generating one so I finally just put 123456 in the iPad and the iPhone responded immediately and it's been great and consistent ever since. Couldn't be better or easier to connect to. :D

Tracy

lansa

macrumors member
Jul 1, 2010
I've been trying to purchase iTether since last night and cant seem to login to Amazon payment site...it just hangs after I enter my login info......anybody else?

MikePA

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2008
See my answer in your other thread on this same issue. Go for 3 posts on the same topic?

mattpreston11

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2007
Not sure how people had a problem, I managed to tether my jailbroken iPad to my non-jailbroken iphone4 no problems.

Worth the £3.5 I think, have to see how much it kills battery life/data allowance though

takufu01

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2009
Steps

Hi....I tried a number of times and couldn't get it to work....could you or would outline what steps you used to get it to operate correctly...I know it would really help me....thanks

ngenerator

macrumors 68000
May 12, 2009
USG Ishimura
When I started out using iTether and TetherMe, I realized what I was doing wrong that I kept getting a time out error. For the initial pairing: If you're turning bluetooth (on the iPhone) on via SBSettings, DON'T!
Turn bluetooth (on the iPhone) on via the regular Settings screen. It'll then give you the power to input whatever pin you select in order to pair the two
:)

takufu01

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2009
Does Your Phone have to be jailbroken

Does your phone have to be jailbroken to use itether...my Ipad is but not my phone

ngenerator

macrumors 68000
May 12, 2009
USG Ishimura
Does your phone have to be jailbroken to use itether...my Ipad is but not my phone

To get TetherMe on your iPhone, yes. Otherwise, you can do the Commcenter hack manually, but the $2 wasn't that big a deal for me to have it done automatically and save me 15ish minutes.

takufu01

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2009
Iphone 4

Guess I'm out of luck...have the IPhone 4....:( I was wondering why it wouldn't connect....I get to the step where it asks for a code and after that nothing...thanks

drenline

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2010
lol I just tried to install mywi from cydia and it made my iphone go into safe mode...

IrishVixen

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2010
To get TetherMe on your iPhone, yes. Otherwise, you can do the Commcenter hack manually, but the $2 wasn't that big a deal for me to have it done automatically and save me 15ish minutes.

Or pay for AT&T's official tethering at $20/month + 2 GB data at $25/month. It's an option if you really don't want to JB the iPhone.

But I did the same thing as ngenerator, jailbroke the ip4 and paid $2 for TetherMe. It's pretty painless.

Skystar

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2007
Just loaded it last night on my iPad to tether to my iPhone 4 (commcenter mod) and it works great. The only thing is that YouTube and the abc app downsize the videos, probably because it knows wifi is turned off. I'll try 3G Unrestrictor and see if it works.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.