Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pparanoidd

macrumors newbie
Dec 28, 2023
A quick updated comparison on my M3 pro:
  • VLC 3.0.20 STILL couldn't do HDR or Dolby Vision and looked terrible
  • Movist Pro handled HDR and DV very well, the UI isn't so pretty but it makes up for it with customisation
  • Infuse did HDR very well and I slightly prefer the colours to any other app but I have a bug and so do a few others it seems where DV videos flash/flicker every now and then making it unwatchable (thread). Best UI out of the bunch but AWFUL customisation. Can't even change something simple like how far it goes forward when you click and arrow key. Deal breaker.
  • Didn't try IINA, has very mixed reviews and no major releases for months
  • Didn't try optimus player, seems good but also no updates in ages
Going forward Movist Pro is my main video player, coming from MPV on windows I need the customisation it provides. The price isn't too bad and it isn't an expensive subscription like Infuse.

Update 4 months later: Just switched from Movist Pro to IINA, seems to be the best now. Does everything Movist did but with the added insane flexibility and customisability of mpv under the hood all while looking much more apple-esque. And with IINA looking to add Spatial Audio support in the coming weeks, my video/music player hunt will come to a close. What a time to be alive

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.