Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ZombiePhysicist

macrumors 68030
May 22, 2014
You can submit feedback to apple and feature requests here:

Everyone should submit a request for local mac to AVP direct syncing to increase our chance of getting this feature.

Reactions: subjonas

ke-iron

macrumors 68000
Aug 14, 2014
Oddly, not supporting my Mac and iPhoto library may get me to ditch the apple ecosystem and move all my photos onto synology, and let that app appear on the VisionPro. This is truly nuts.
How is this method different than using iCloud?

ke-iron

macrumors 68000
Aug 14, 2014
Apple need to find a solution to this and fast because otherwise they could get into trouble for this which is to basically tell users who have over 5 gigs of photos/videos that they must purchase icloud+ and upload all of their photos/videos to the icloud+ if they want to view them on the VP. VP owners should be able to sync their Apple devices to the VP so they can view their photo's and video. They should not have to pay for increase icloud storage to do so.

Why would they get in trouble? It’s a stand alone device. They do not need to make an interface for direct connection to a computer because it is it’s own computer and it uses wireless and cloud for everything.

dwhite601

macrumors member
Jan 1, 2021
It seems like Apple really missed an opportunity here. Vision Pro already has a USB port and it's even in a convenient location on the battery pack rather than a second port that has to dangle a second wire from the head set. The existence of this awkward second port attachment implies that the battery port really is just a power port. What a shame. With all those extra pins in the 'lightning' cable, there should have been room for a data stream.

David

iStorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2012
The existence of this awkward second port attachment implies that the battery port really is just a power port. What a shame. With all those extra pins in the 'lightning' cable, there should have been room for a data stream.
Agreed. I know the 'lightning' end has 12 (or 24) pins, which USB-C also has...but I think the other end that connects to the headset has fewer pins, so it's not a true USB-C cable disguised as a proprietary cable. Makes me wonder if Apple did plan on having some sort of USB-C passthrough, but nixed it.

There's also the fact that you have to use your iPhone to recover the Vision Pro firmware if needed, instead of giving us an option to recover using a cable through the battery pack. Another sign that it probably doesn't carry data.

I think Apple is trying to push towards a wireless/cord-free world. They removed the USB-C port from the Apple TV, so that can no longer be connected to a computer to restore (have to use your iPhone). Same with the Apple Watch. They removed the diagnostic pins that used to be there and now can only be recovered wirelessly.

Reactions: eltoslightfoot

ke-iron

macrumors 68000
Aug 14, 2014
Going through the internet is not the problem point. Your straw man argument is weak. Taking a path and being hosted on computers where I don’t want my data is. Again, really simple. My data, my devices.
So then it does route through the internet. But sure if you think your data is not on some company server

• Haha
Reactions: eltoslightfoot

eltoslightfoot

macrumors 68020
Feb 25, 2011
If I’m home, it routes via the local LAN. If outside, yes via internet. It’s not on other servers. thats kind of the entire point of a synology NAS, it’s your own server.
Plus it is also possible to just not have it available on the internet. I have an UNRAID server with Nextcloud to work like a dropbox, and I use it as a media server (I still have all the physical media)--even a Network share and Webdav server. But it is LAN only. It doesn't see the internet. :)

eltoslightfoot

macrumors 68020
Feb 25, 2011
So then it does route through the internet. But sure if you think your data is not on some company server
This is really not that hard to understand. If my files are on my server which is LAN only then they are not on a company server. And even if I allow my server to securely be available on the internet, then it is still not on some company server. It is only available on my server.

dwhite601

macrumors member
Jan 1, 2021
Apple is pitching this as a Pro device. That implies corporate use. Many corporations choose, or are legally required, to keep their data off the open internet.

This discussion isn't just about private individuals not wanting to rent access to Apple's servers. If Vision Pro is to be used in corporate environments, many of those company's administrators are going to have to be convinced that the Vision Pro can function as needed with out any access out of their corporate intranet.

David

klasma

macrumors 603
Jun 8, 2017
Agreed. I know the 'lightning' end has 12 (or 24) pins, which USB-C also has...but I think the other end that connects to the headset has fewer pins, so it's not a true USB-C cable disguised as a proprietary cable. Makes me wonder if Apple did plan on having some sort of USB-C passthrough, but nixed it.
The headset connector has what looks like 6 pins, which would technically be sufficient to support USB 3 power and data. The battery pack would need to add support for the legacy USB 2 data pins for full USB-C conformance.

Interestingly, the battery product page claims that “The high-performance Apple Vision Pro Battery […] connects to your Apple Vision Pro using a woven USB-C cable.”

BanditoB

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2009
Chicago, IL
You can connect to your Synology NAS and transfer all the files that you’d like through the Files app. The limitation right now is that you would then need a separate app to view your movies and photos as the transferred media won’t be recognized by the Apple TV or Photos app.

CrysisDeu

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2018
A spatial computer ofc needs to operate on the cloud \s
Oh a computer without data ports? I wonder who brought HDMI and SD card to the Mac..

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
It seems like Apple does not want to see the vision pro with a bunch of dongles and external storage devices dangling from it. It's going to be all wireless, like the iPad in the beginning.

eltoslightfoot

macrumors 68020
Feb 25, 2011
It seems like Apple does not want to see the vision pro with a bunch of dongles and external storage devices dangling from it. It's going to be all wireless, like the iPad in the beginning.
Well except for the double-strap and external battery you mean. And that thingie to keep light out.

ZombiePhysicist

macrumors 68030
May 22, 2014
It's honestly less about the money than it is getting stuck in this perpetual dependent relationship. People like to buy products and use them without a marriage contract.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.