Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
Hasn't asked me. Maybe cause I'm on dial-up and my Mac only likes the best. Stupid Telstra.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
Does iTunes have a history of these sub-incremental upgrades/bug fixes or is this a new phenomenon?

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
Personally I'm hoping we see another round of iLife updates before iTunes gets done again. iPhoto could see some more speed-ups.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Chundles said:
Personally I'm hoping we see another round of iLife updates before iTunes gets done again. iPhoto could see some more speed-ups.
Personally, I want to see bug fixes before speed improvements. And if there is an iTunes 5.0.2, it will be bugfixes.

Also, each applictaion has its own testing cycle and requirements. Of course I'm expecting there will be an iLife update at MWSF in January.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
If the 5.0.2 occurs, then we can all be happy. A fast bug fix on the way. Maybe Apple is doing some beta testing outside of the normal testers. Since it's page 2, only time will tell.

Tobiwan

macrumors newbie
Mar 2, 2002
KS
iTunes 5.0.1...

I got a message when I opened up iTunes this morning informing me that version 5.0.1 was the current version and that I was not up-to-date. I had forgotten to run the update on my work machine since a week or so ago when it came out. I did find it kind of odd that it was telling me this out of nowhere though because I use iTunes everyday and it has never popped up and told me this before. Interesting that other people are getting a 5.0.2 message.

willJ

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2005
I had version 5.0 on my iBook, I downloaded 5.0.1 with software update, it seemed to install, but if I go to 'About iTunes' it's still version 5. Similarly I downloaded the standalone iTunes 5.0.1 setup and installed that, still the about box says it's version 5. I was not running iTunes at the time of upgrade.
What am I doing wrong? It's not asking me to upgrade, so am I using 5.01 or not? How can I tell, can someone please check the about box and see whether it says 5 or 5.01 in the version.

Thanks in advance,

Will.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
willJ said:
I had version 5.0 on my iBook, I downloaded 5.0.1 with software update, it seemed to install, but if I go to 'About iTunes' it's still version 5. Similarly I downloaded the standalone iTunes 5.0.1 setup and installed that, still the about box says it's version 5. I was not running iTunes at the time of upgrade.
What am I doing wrong? It's not asking me to upgrade, so am I using 5.01 or not? How can I tell, can someone please check the about box and see whether it says 5 or 5.01 in the version.

Thanks in advance,

Will.

In big text, it says iTunes 5. Then, below that, there's scrolling, smaller text, it should say iTunes 5.0.1 at the top of the scrolling text

willJ

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2005
yg17 said:
In big text, it says iTunes 5. Then, below that, there's scrolling, smaller text, it should say iTunes 5.0.1 at the top of the scrolling text

Nope, it says iTunes 5.0. It's not asking me to upgrade, and the software updater is not listing iTunes 5.0.1 anymore, and I've installed it twice and rebooted (you can tell I've come from the MS windows world!).

If I uninstall 5 and then install 5.0.1, can I keep my purchased music?

Thanks.

mainstreetmark

macrumors 68020
May 7, 2003
Saint Augustine, FL
I haven't been able to click the arrow next to the artist since upgrading to 5. It takes me to the library, alright, but not to the artist i clicked on. I used that feature all the time.

(i did the thing where you set the behavior of that arrow to go to the library vs the music store a long time ago. I wonder if that's got me messed up)

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
Haven't upgraded to 5 yet. Did a test on my work machine, and it upgraded QT to v.7, which I don't want to do yet. Yes, I know, you can still have 6 in a separate folder. But I'm happy with 4.9. I'll upgrade when i'm good and ready. By then there will be 5.0.2. Glad they're at least being smart about the numbers now. Don't want to get stuck at iTunes 5.9 with no 6 in sight. ;)

mickhyperion

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2004
mainstreetmark said:
I haven't been able to click the arrow next to the artist since upgrading to 5. It takes me to the library, alright, but not to the artist i clicked on. I used that feature all the time.

(i did the thing where you set the behavior of that arrow to go to the library vs the music store a long time ago. I wonder if that's got me messed up)

I noticed this problem too, but it seems to only happen when the new search bar is visible. I hid the bar and the arrows worked correctly again. I still have mine set to require the option-click to go to the library.

mainstreetmark

macrumors 68020
May 7, 2003
Saint Augustine, FL
mickhyperion said:
I noticed this problem too, but it seems to only happen when the new search bar is visible. I hid the bar and the arrows worked correctly again. I still have mine set to require the option-click to go to the library.

NIIIIICE! that worked. I'd submit the bug to Apple, but they replaced the bug reporting form with a request a stupid song form.

I knew if I posted enough Complaints to the macrumors forums, eventually, someone would help me out. :) (watch out spotlight and your ram usage more than the kernel)

johnnyjibbs

macrumors 68030
Sep 18, 2003
London, UK
A 5.0.2 version would be a bug-fix release - 5.1 would be a features release. It didn't ask me today, but I would have liked a bug fix as my music store ID doesn't work anymore (Music Store unknown error 400 when I try to log on) and I don't want to create another Apple account. This is the same Apple account that let me buy some iPhoto photobooks yesterday.

Oh and iTunes 5 tends to be crash-happy with my machine.

aegisdesign

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2005
Chundles said:

It'd be nice if they rolled it back to v4 IMHO. That was faster, less buggy and the interface made more sense. v5 has the weirdest menu's I've ever seen on an Apple application. The 'Show in Toolbar' menu off the Share menu is bizarre.

And my iPhoto beachballs if I go off to do something else other than use it. Ah, there it goes beachballing now that I've switched to Safari to finish this post. <sigh>

booksacool1

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2004
Australia
I got the update message in iTunes 5.01 for windows.
It asked if i wanted to update to 5.02, I went online and it was still 5.01 so I skipped it.
I don't get it anymore, I'm guessing apple screwed up somewhere with their update checking.

lind0834

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2003
Back to v4?

Does anybody know if it's safe to downgrade to v4? iTunes 5 crawls on my G4 and I can't do anything else when it's open.

Grrr.

mattster16

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2004
This happened to me too. I opened iTunes and it told me there was an upgrade available to 5.0.2. I just ignored it. I went to software update later and noticed there way no upgrade. Itunes hasn't said anything other than that one time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.