Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

steve_hill4

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2005
NG9, England
I'm sure that apple occasionally do this to keep the likes of us talking. 5.0.2 is going to be released sooner or later anyway, but if we get them all juiced up somehow, it keeps us in the spotlight.

sjk

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2003
Eugene
Blue Velvet said:
Does iTunes have a history of these sub-incremental upgrades/bug fixes or is this a new phenomenon?
You mean something like Apple pulling a "mini" on us with iTunes? ;)

Some_Big_Spoon

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2003
New York, NY
I've got weirdness in that sometimes I'll open itunes, push play, and it just sits there.. You can quit it, you can't force quit it.. you have to go into Activity Monitor, force quit it, then wait a few minutes for it to actually quit.

My nano cuts songs off before the end occasionally as well, just like the 3G ipods did before the patch way back when.

gid79

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2005
potiental fix for error 400 in itunes 5.0.1

johnnyjibbs said:
A 5.0.2 version would be a bug-fix release - 5.1 would be a features release. It didn't ask me today, but I would have liked a bug fix as my music store ID doesn't work anymore (Music Store unknown error 400 when I try to log on) and I don't want to create another Apple account. This is the same Apple account that let me buy some iPhoto photobooks yesterday.

Oh and iTunes 5 tends to be crash-happy with my machine.

I had a simlar issue to yours with 5.0.1. I've found that following apple kb article seemed to clear up the issue. It says that issues is solved in 4.9, so I guess they either broke it again or just didn't fix it like they said.

I'd been through a couple of email exchanges with the itunes support people but they just fobbed me off standard dumb ass replies.

Gareth

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
Yeah, we'll see iTunes 7 on Monday and iTunes 8 on the 19th.

iTunes 7 will come with an extra EQ setting for videos and iTunes 8 will come with album art browsing for music like you can do currently for videos.

iTunes 9 next month will boast security and performance updates.

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
skoker said:
I wonder if they will still release an update for iTunes 5?
There wouldn't be much of a point in that when version 6 is still free, would there?

skoker

macrumors 68000
Aug 6, 2005
iMeowbot said:
There wouldn't be much of a point in that when version 6 is still free, would there?

Some people (a very few) can't do the upgrade due to increased system requirements. Those people (and those stuck in iTunes 4?) should get some security upgrades and bug fixes.

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
skoker said:
Some people (a very few) can't do the upgrade due to increased system requirements. Those people (and those stuck in iTunes 4?) should get some security upgrades and bug fixes.
That's just it, there are very few (practically none) who can run iTunes 4 who won't be able to use iTunes 5/6. It wouldn't make sense to provide updates for those, especially considering the price.

BWhaler

macrumors 68040
Jan 8, 2003
skoker said:

Same system requirements. Don't make crap up just to argue...

johnnyjibbs

macrumors 68030
Sep 18, 2003
London, UK
gid79 said:
I had a simlar issue to yours with 5.0.1. I've found that following apple kb article seemed to clear up the issue. It says that issues is solved in 4.9, so I guess they either broke it again or just didn't fix it like they said.

I'd been through a couple of email exchanges with the itunes support people but they just fobbed me off standard dumb ass replies.

Gareth
Thank you so much - deleting those cookies has fixed my problems and I can now buy songs again! Uh-oh!

On the iTunes 6 front - guess we'll never know about iTunes 5.0.2 now. Maybe it was Apple engineers trying to tell us iTunes 6 was coming (before it was renamed... or that someone slipped up!)

iTunes 4 - the longest running iTunes and long overdue. iTunes 4.5 should have been iTunes 5 with all those features. iTunes 5 and 6 should have been merged and called iTunes 6. This is a flimsy update. And £1.89 per music video download. Er.. no thanks!

ju87

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2003
itunes 6 probs for PC?

is anyone having probs with itunes 6 for PC? I installed it today and for some reason it's not recognising my ipod being connected. Its not the USB cable because its charging my ipod...

Damn i should've bot a Mac! haha....Thanks for advice.

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
Why did Apple bothering releasing iTunes 5 so soon why not just leave it as 4.9 until iPod 5g came out at make what is iTunes 6 be iTunes 5??

super mini (mac

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2005
UK, ENGLAND
mac gets there own back

ju87 said:
is anyone having probs with itunes 6 for PC? I installed it today and for some reason it's not recognising my ipod being connected. Its not the USB cable because its charging my ipod...

Damn i should've bot a Mac! haha....Thanks for advice.

its about time mac did a big smelly turd on widowns for a change, the amount of top class software apple have done capable for windows and has worked great, and ms always makes cheep crap for macs, its about time apple got there won back

haha :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.