Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Do you have iTunes Two-Factor Authentication enabled?

• Yes

Votes: 8 66.7%
  • No

Votes: 4 33.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

jackedint

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 24, 2012
I forgot my password to my iTunes account, so have attempted to use their account recovery feature. I go though the process, including verifying my credit card on file, getting the text code (the 2 factor), clicking the e-mail confirming account recovery (attempted from both trusted devices on my account, iPhone 6 & an iPad Air 2 on iOS 10.2), but eventually it just says wait & it will take a few days.

So I first tried this process in late November, nothing more from Apple
So I tried again on 12/21... nothing again, so I decided to wait at least a week (ended up being 3 weeks)
So I tried again on 01/13, nothing more
So I tried again on 01/14, nothing, contacted Apple support this time

Apple support had me do it again, nope... had me check my SPAM, nope (Always good about checking that anyway)

She suggested because of the holiday traffic, I do not do it again and wait a month+ this time for the next e-mail. A month? WHAT?

I can log into my iTunes account via my fingerprint. I was just able to add a gift card today but that is not the point. I need my iTunes password. Why? Well we all have experienced the times where the account needs more than just your fingerprint. Specifically why do I need my iTunes password? I want to reset my iPhone 6 and start from new without using a iCloud backup, to see if it resolves a battery issue. (Some app or setting might be causing the battery drain problem) You need your iTunes password reset from new to download applications you have purchased previously & re-setup your fingerprint. I had time this weekend but looks like I need to wait another month?

Apple support stated there is some sort of backlog with trying to use account recovery with 2 factor security enabled. Basically inferring it was my fault for having this extra level of security & I should "reconsider" using it in the future when I get back into my account! Wait what? I understand a backlog but a month+ to fix this issue sounds like a serious system problem.

My ONLY option is not only wait (a month+) but was suggested (& I did) to provided Apple support feedback via http://www.apple.com/feedback/ to let them know of my problem.

At this point, maybe I might get faster account recovery (*** THIS IS A JOKE ***) if I write a snail mail letter to Apple support pleading my case, cutting out the letters individually from tabloid magazines while eating powered donuts of course. (*** THIS IS A JOKE ***) sigh... of course i will NOT do this but decided to vent here.

Anyone else have Two-Factor Authentication enabled? do NOT try to use account recovery right now...

jackedint

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 24, 2012
If you have access to a trusted device with a passcode, just go to Settings > iCloud > (your name) > Password & Security > Change Password. If you can access your trusted device, account recovery turns off when you unlock it.

Apple support had me go to both my trusted devices. (iPhone 6 & iPad Air 2) & attempt that

the problem is it asks me for my "Current Password" to "Change Password"... that the root of the problem! I do NOT know my current password. (I tried typing something in & leaving it blank, no luck!)

jackedint

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 24, 2012
not sure why this got moved to the mac forum. I do not own a mac?

iPhone 6, iPhone Air 2 & Apple Watch series 0

no mac

akadafni

macrumors regular
Nov 8, 2015
I forgot my password to my iTunes account, so have attempted to use their account recovery feature. I go though the process, including verifying my credit card on file, getting the text code (the 2 factor), clicking the e-mail confirming account recovery (attempted from both trusted devices on my account, iPhone 6 & an iPad Air 2 on iOS 10.2), but eventually it just says wait & it will take a few days.

So I tried again on 12/21... nothing again, so I decided to wait at least a week (ended up being 3 weeks)

Apple support had me do it again, nope... had me check my SPAM, nope (Always good about checking that anyway)

She suggested because of the holiday traffic, I do not do it again and wait a month+ this time for the next e-mail. A month? WHAT?

I can log into my iTunes account via my fingerprint. I was just able to add a gift card today but that is not the point. I need my iTunes password. Why? Well we all have experienced the times where the account needs more than just your fingerprint. Specifically why do I need my iTunes password? I want to reset my iPhone 6 and start from new without using a iCloud backup, to see if it resolves a battery issue. (Some app or setting might be causing the battery drain problem) You need your iTunes password reset from new to download applications you have purchased previously & re-setup your fingerprint. I had time this weekend but looks like I need to wait another month?

Apple support stated there is some sort of backlog with trying to use account recovery with 2 factor security enabled. Basically inferring it was my fault for having this extra level of security & I should "reconsider" using it in the future when I get back into my account! Wait what? I understand a backlog but a month+ to fix this issue sounds like a serious system problem.

My ONLY option is not only wait (a month+) but was suggested (& I did) to provided Apple support feedback via http://www.apple.com/feedback/ to let them know of my problem.

At this point, maybe I might get faster account recovery (*** THIS IS A JOKE ***) if I write a snail mail letter to Apple support pleading my case, cutting out the letters individually from tabloid magazines while eating powered donuts of course. (*** THIS IS A JOKE ***) sigh... of course i will NOT do this but decided to vent here.

Anyone else have Two-Factor Authentication enabled? do NOT try to use account recovery right now...
My recommendation is to not use 2 Factor at all unless you are diligent about keeping your trusted devices and telephone number up to date

jackedint

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 24, 2012
My recommendation is to not use 2 Factor at all unless you are diligent about keeping your trusted devices and telephone number up to date

the trusted devices are correctly listed & the telephone number is up to date. my # has not changed in 15 years & it is the only one I have used with Apple. That said, it sends texts to my # no problem

bcave098

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2015
Northern British Columbia
Apple support had me go to both my trusted devices. (iPhone 6 & iPad Air 2) & attempt that

the problem is it asks me for my "Current Password" to "Change Password"... that the root of the problem! I do NOT know my current password. (I tried typing something in & leaving it blank, no luck!)
In this case, you'll need to turn off your trusted devices (leave them off) and then start account recovery. Otherwise it will turn off whenever you unlock the trusted devices.

akadafni

macrumors regular
Nov 8, 2015
2 Factor Authentication is an automated process. Sr. Advisors cannot do anything to change the process. Gonna have to wait. I've heard of folks having to wait 3 weeks. Nothing can be done

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
If you have access to a trusted device with a passcode, just go to Settings > iCloud > (your name) > Password & Security > Change Password. If you can access your trusted device, account recovery turns off when you unlock it.

From memory u can do this do just about anything... If u have a trusted device, and logged into icloud, Apple can send u a code to that device which u prove over the phone when they ask...

This works 100% of the times as a last resort on pretty much anything u encounter., even on accounts which u cannot even verify ownership......... but u still must have a trusted device u have access to to prove. and logged into icloud

If u can't even do that,, then I don't think Apple will even help you. You gotta jump through hoops,but it does work...

i'm not sure it will work with 2 factor, but if were u i'd give it a shot anyway.... There is no harm and u may have been up and running allot sooner. However, don't just think that Apple would always do this,,, it would be a once off.

bcave098

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2015
From memory u can do this do just about anything... If u have a trusted device, and logged into icloud, Apple can send u a code to that device which u prove over the phone when they ask...

This works 100% of the times as a last resort on pretty much anything u encounter., even on accounts which u cannot even verify ownership......... but u still must have a trusted device u have access to to prove. and logged into icloud

If u can't even do that,, then I don't think Apple will even help you. You gotta jump through hoops,but it does work...

i'm not sure it will work with 2 factor, but if were u i'd give it a shot anyway.... There is no harm and u may have been up and running allot sooner. However, don't just think that Apple would always do this,,, it would be a once off.
Does not work with Two-Factor. They can't reset the password over the phone at all, account recovery is the only option in this case.

Ambern97

macrumors newbie
Aug 14, 2017
What is the purpose of account recovery how does it work and why does it takes so long to recover from your iCloud account for iCloud recovery accout

bcave098

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2015
Account recovery is an automated process to allow you to gain access to your account. No one can answer in much greater detail either question. AppleCare employees really only know what's in the support articles and they have no power to speed up the process.

khowar69

macrumors newbie
Aug 27, 2017

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.