Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
For those users awaiting the delayed iTunes Music Store in Australia... this forum post offers some hope.

According to undisclosed sources, Apple is reportedly planning launching iTunes Australia at the end of April.

There have been a few false starts up until this point. Most recently, the announcement was expected in January but was called off due to complicated regional licensing/copyright deals.

snack

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2004
This is as good as confirmed. As reported in the linked AppleTalk Australia thread, the whois record for itunes.com.au now states Apple Computer instead of the owner prior to the 23/03/05: a cybersquatter.

Domain Name: itunes.com.au
Last Modified: 23-Mar-2005 22:45:43 UTC

Registrar ID: R00010-AR
Registrar Name: Melbourne IT

Registrant: APPLE COMPUTER AUSTRALIA PTY LTD
Registrant ID: ACN 002 510 054

Registrant ROID: C2573784-AR
Registrant Contact Name: Giovanna Ostacchini
Registrant Email: sostacchini@asia.apple.com

DJY

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2003
Canberra AUST
I'd like this one to be true...
but I don't expect anything.

Would really like iPhoto printing options and books too please Steve if Apple is looking our way at the moment (FINALLY).

Sky Blue

Jan 8, 2005
Imagine all the Kylie, Jason Donavan, Deltra Goodrem, Holly Valance and Jet there'll be!

Sol

macrumors 68000
Jan 14, 2003
Australia
Australian content

I hope Apple sells a lot of Australian music on their iTMS. This is a small music industry which needs all the support it can get.

krollster

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2002
London
Anyone got an idea about how much it's going to cost for a song/album?

I'm living in the UK so it would be great to be able to download music I've listened to on Triple J...and take advantage of the exchange rate.

swy32x

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2005
Perhaps we are seeing a universal release with the one year anniversary?

Worldwide iTMS?

devman

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2004
AU
krollster said:
Anyone got an idea about how much it's going to cost for a song/album?

I'm living in the UK so it would be great to be able to download music I've listened to on Triple J...and take advantage of the exchange rate.

dunno about the price, but you can listen to triple j online (streaming). real or windows media though... http://www.abc.net.au/triplej/

Disko

macrumors newbie
Nov 17, 2003
The last few reports on iTMS AU have been all sourced from other news sites. This one, we've got a very reliable source - so i'm 95% we'll have it end of April. :)

walexx

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2002
Sydney
You seem very confident with this source Disko. Way too confident that I am starting to believe u might just be right.

We have had soo many false starts in Aust then I have all but given up. Next month marks 2 years for the ITMS. I cant believe we are here two years down the track still hoping for it to come to Aus.

Its time the Aus music industry got a good kick up its backside and go on with the job. Telstra and their music download service is an embarrasment, it will take Apple to show them and every one else how its done

Go ITMS Aus !!!!!!!!.

krollster

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2002
London
devman said:
dunno about the price, but you can listen to triple j online (streaming). real or windows media though... http://www.abc.net.au/triplej/

Yeah, but I want stuff to play on my iPod! The music I have from home is getting on a bit and it would be nice to stay current.

On a seperate note...how good would it be if you could stream the J's straight through iTunes.

Lollypop

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2004
Johannesburg, South Africa
End of april or not Apple cant afford to sit around and do nothing, they have to keep working to add new countries to stay competitive, aus is a great start.. now they can move on to South Africa! :D :cool:

devman

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2004
AU
krollster said:
Yeah, but I want stuff to play on my iPod! The music I have from home is getting on a bit and it would be nice to stay current.

On a seperate note...how good would it be if you could stream the J's straight through iTunes.

Hey, I hear ya! Hanging out for ITMS AU myself. The other way to maintain a J's fix is to buy the Hottest 100 CDs each year.

OwenMan

macrumors newbie
Mar 7, 2005
I sooo hope its true and that they'll have some promotoinal thing like "Drink, Win & Play" in the U.S.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.