Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aswitcher

macrumors 603
Oct 8, 2003
Canberra OZ
paxtonandrew said:
I would say because of Disko's post. He is the God of Appletalk, if a LOT more approchable than the Gods here. He has his ears to the ground, and will not let his source out (even on ATAU :confused: ), which makes it more certain in my mind. I believe this may actually happen.

Yeah, I have some hope its finally going to happen. Here's hoping the prices are right, the songs available are plentiful and they use H264 to give us better quality downloads...

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
I think H264 might only be for video, anyone know?

Edit: You might be mixing it up with HE-AAC (?) which I believe is an enhanced version of AAC.

Stefanlod001

macrumors newbie
Feb 20, 2005
Melbourne, Australia
just a small detail

i'm not sure if this means anything, but i noticed that now i don't get the country warning when looking at the music store. is it like that now with version 4.7 or is this a recent development?

jnicolso1

macrumors member
Sep 1, 2004
Adelaide
I am also missing the country warning, it would be nice to get the music store but it seems that we will remain a very secondary market. It might just become like Powerbook G5's tuesday maybe next week.

Village Idiot

macrumors newbie
Jun 7, 2004
Sydney, Australia
Solid Evidence iTMS Oz!

There was a letter from our cd distributor yesterday that asks for written permission for the CD to be released on the iTMS australia to be launched in approximately 3 weeks. It's pretty solid evidence that there will be something available for us here in Oz this month.

aswitcher

macrumors 603
Oct 8, 2003
Canberra OZ
Village Idiot said:
There was a letter from our cd distributor yesterday that asks for written permission for the CD to be released on the iTMS australia to be launched in approximately 3 weeks. It's pretty solid evidence that there will be something available for us here in Oz this month.

Mmm. Most interesting

mark6051

macrumors member
Jan 24, 2005
Australia
Macrumors said:
For those users awaiting the delayed iTunes Music Store in Australia... this forum post offers some hope.

According to undisclosed sources, Apple is reportedly planning launching iTunes Australia at the end of April.

There have been a few false starts up until this point. Most recently, the announcement was expected in January but was called off due to complicated regional licensing/copyright deals.

I know its all to do with copyright and many other issues that need to be worked through...but this really does highlight the difference between companies like Microsoft, IBM, HP, Dell and Apple. The other companies, when they release soft products, release it globally, and its never crippled depending on regional usage like iphoto or itunes. When the others release hardware, its also available globally, with plenty of stock on hand to cater for demand, not just for the quick or the patient who are prepared to wait 3months for it..

The sooner Apple wakes up and decides that it is a true Multinational company and not just a small regional entity that caters for the North American market, the quicker it can increase its market share..

I say this not to flame, but as an Aussie who is biding the day iphoto albums are available, itunes store is online, products are available in the shops (try buying something as simple as a ipod mini firewire cable in Brisbane) and an Apple branded store opens that has intelligent informed staff available to assist in purchasing new items. I have owned an Apple IIc, IIgs, mac se, early powerbook, imac, emac, and g4 cube, so I am not new to this, but Apple really does need to look around and see there is a world market now that needs catering too.

jap4n

macrumors member
Aug 10, 2003
wellington, nz
Nermal said:
I think H264 might only be for video, anyone know?

Edit: You might be mixing it up with HE-AAC (?) which I believe is an enhanced version of AAC.

yup, h264 is only a video codec. I've seen some demos of this codec and its pretty nice. Much better than mp4. Looks kinda like the wmv9 codec :\

btw:
Handbrake 7(beta 2), a DVD to mpeg4/avi convertor can use h264 (based) codec and can be played back on VLC player.

And, with all these people saying they have problems with the DRM on iTMS songs.. I don't understand the problems... how can DRM cause problems for listening to audio?

jnicolso1

macrumors member
Sep 1, 2004
Adelaide
mark6051 said:
I know its all to do with copyright and many other issues that need to be worked through...but this really does highlight the difference between companies like Microsoft, IBM, HP, Dell and Apple. The other companies, when they release soft products, release it globally, and its never crippled depending on regional usage like iphoto or itunes. When the others release hardware, its also available globally, with plenty of stock on hand to cater for demand, not just for the quick or the patient who are prepared to wait 3months for it..

The sooner Apple wakes up and decides that it is a true Multinational company and not just a small regional entity that caters for the North American market, the quicker it can increase its market share..

I say this not to flame, but as an Aussie who is biding the day iphoto albums are available, itunes store is online, products are available in the shops (try buying something as simple as a ipod mini firewire cable in Brisbane) and an Apple branded store opens that has intelligent informed staff available to assist in purchasing new items. I have owned an Apple IIc, IIgs, mac se, early powerbook, imac, emac, and g4 cube, so I am not new to this, but Apple really does need to look around and see there is a world market now that needs catering too.

I feel the same way, we have to wait longer for everything and pay higher prices. Sometimes I wish that I had never got that SE, then I could have been happy with DOS and overjoyed with windoze. As it is you get addicted to the ease of use, but it seems that Apple are happy to just string us along because they have no compeditors for our bussiness. :mad:
Still I am writing this on a slot loading iMac that has been going strong for years and should have another couple of years of life in it so Apple are not all bad. This machine is used to run a 4D client and as new machines are aquired it migrates to users whose requirements are less demanding, beats buying compaq deskpros every 2 years as each version of windoze requires a processor upgrade.
I guess I have answered my own whinge :)

Village Idiot

macrumors newbie
Jun 7, 2004
Sydney, Australia
Sydney Morning Herald 10th April 2005

This story is from the SMH website:

Web tunes revolution here soon

By Daniel Dasey
April 10, 2005
The Sun-Herald

It's the marketing phenomenon that has revolutionised how the world buys its music.

Now Australians are expected to get their chance to try iTunes Music Store - Apple Computer's internet music download system - in the next two months.

Music industry sources predict the US company will launch its online music store here by mid-June.

Apple has refused to confirm iTunes Music Store is coming to Australia, but the company is understood to be booking advertising for it in music magazines.

In the US, tracks sell for 99 cents and can be used on iPod music players. Australians cannot use the service as an American credit card is needed to buy tracks.

The arrival of iTunes Music Store, which allows people to buy and download electronic versions of songs, is expected to cause digital music sales in Australia to eclipse sales of physical singles and even challenge physical album sales.

Richard Mallett, of music royalties body the Australasian Performing Right Association, says markets where iTunes Music Store has launched have "had an explosion in total downloads".

kjwebb

macrumors regular
May 19, 2003
Australia
A post on Whirlpool has noted that iTMS for Australia is coming May the 1st.

Ok, the Australian Music Industry Directory has confirmed Itunes Australia will be up and running by May 1. I got a newsletter from them today stating changes to the Australian Music Industry and it mentions "With the opening of the Apple iTunes Music Store".

This is from a guy who said that this was months away and no where near ready only a matter of a month ago himself.
From http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=317894&p=2#r39

kjwebb

macrumors regular
May 19, 2003
Australia
aswitcher said:
...May 1 is a Sunday...

It makes you think, are Sundays becoming the new Apple product release date especially after the NAB releases over night (well, it was Sunday for those in America)?

barneygumble

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2005
April 28th

did anyone else l;isten to john laws thid morning, he had russel crowe flogging his songs of on the net and he let it slip that itunes will be available on the 28th for us aussies

yay first post

aswitcher

macrumors 603
Oct 8, 2003
Canberra OZ
barneygumble said:
did anyone else l;isten to john laws thid morning, he had russel crowe flogging his songs of on the net and he let it slip that itunes will be available on the 28th for us aussies

yay first post

Didn't hear it but it does seem that Apple Aus have let theartists promote the Aus ITMS rather than some official announcement upfront.

aussie_geek

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2004
Sydney Australia
Great work

barneygumble said:

yay first post

Good stuff mate!! Especially for your first post.

The next month is going to be great for me - Tiger, ITMS and a new G5!!

aussie_geek

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.