Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PeterD42

macrumors member
Jul 5, 2004
Perth, Australia
...the last plane out of Sydney's almost gone

The last time this rumour went around I thought Jan 26 was an appropriate date for Aussie iTunes.
Seeing it is now late April, why not the 25th.

sjl

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2004
Melbourne, Australia
PeterD42 said:
The last time this rumour went around I thought Jan 26 was an appropriate date for Aussie iTunes.
Seeing it is now late April, why not the 25th.
The 25th of April (at least this year) is a public holiday in Australia: "Anzac Day", celebrating the landing at Gallipoli in WW1(? -- might be WW2. Guess who's showing off his iggernance again.)

If there's an announcement, it'll be the 26th or later. No chance of it happening on the 25th; everybody'll be out partying (as is traditional on public holidays.)

aussie_geek

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2004
Sydney Australia
sjl said:
The 25th of April (at least this year) is a public holiday in Australia: "Anzac Day", celebrating the landing at Gallipoli in WW1(? -- might be WW2. Guess who's showing off his iggernance again.)

If there's an announcement, it'll be the 26th or later. No chance of it happening on the 25th; everybody'll be out partying (as is traditional on public holidays.)

WW1 mate ;)

Anzac Site

aussie_geek

Funny looking "select a store" page

I haven't had the country warning page for ages now.
But tonight when I went to select another country to window shop, the layout of the country icons was all over the place.
Could they be testing a new version of that page ready to include some more buttons!?!
I should just take a deep breath. But then I thought we might have been included with Canada too.
By the way, you can buy some Russell Crowe in the France store!

kjwebb

macrumors regular
May 19, 2003
Australia
pmoeser said:
I haven't had the country warning page for ages now.
But tonight when I went to select another country to window shop, the layout of the country icons was all over the place.
Could they be testing a new version of that page ready to include some more buttons!?!
I should just take a deep breath. But then I thought we might have been included with Canada too.
By the way, you can buy some Russell Crowe in the France store!

I think you need to read this thread: https://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=121957

iTMS Australia is close to being a proper store. Apple seems to still be setting it up at the moment but it must be coming fully online/public soon (Thursday still?).

the dairy giant

macrumors newbie
Sep 6, 2004
No talk of New Zealand being included in the AU store?? It would be one occassion when I wouldn't mind if people thought were were a small part of Australia :)

Not to mention of course that quite a few 'Australian' bands/artists started out as New Zealanders!!! Surely that's got to be worth something!!!

Village Idiot

macrumors newbie
Jun 7, 2004
Sydney, Australia
Jipped again?

No iTMS oz? Once again...jipped. I really don't understand what happened this time as I saw the contract from our record label wanting permission to put the tracks on the web music stores. Specifically including iTMS oz. That was at the start of the month, so I guess situations change. Anyone else heard anymore? :confused:

AppleinJapan

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2005
Just checked now at 10:12 japan time or 11:12 OZ time and there's no itunes OZ store !!! Isn't it supposed to be up on the 28th ??? Ive never liked Russell Crowe anyway (he lives about 15 minutes from my hometown)....

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
the dairy giant said:
No talk of New Zealand being included in the AU store??

The NZ store is separate. Some of the back end is there, but they don't seem to have added any albums yet.

JRM PowerPod

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2005
Outback Australia
Apple has a press event for 11:59pm Sydney time...................................

Likely!!!!

Where the **** is my iTunes store, it's more a novelty then anything but i want that novelty.

iTunes.com.au
iWherethehellareu.com.au

When, tomorrow?

What is going on in the world of Apple updates and announcements?

Gez, its a busy month!!!!

RubberChicken

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2003
Australia
mmmm... What's that smell?

JRM PowerPod said:
Apple has a press event for 11:59pm Sydney time...................................

It's 12.01 am and I see a big nooooothing.

I've been watching iTunes Oz false pronouncements for way too long, it's pretty much taken the fun out of it. And if the prices I saw mentioned elsewhere were accurate... well, suffice to say there is nothing stirring in the nether regions.

On the other hand, being the a.r.s.e of the world, everything has to filter down to us sometime, even though you might be happier poking it with a long stick and watching the flies buzz rather than pulling out your wallet.

aswitcher

macrumors 603
Oct 8, 2003
Canberra OZ
RubberChicken said:
JRM PowerPod said:

It's 12.01 am and I see a big nooooothing.

I've been watching iTunes Oz false pronouncements for way too long, it's pretty much taken the fun out of it. And if the prices I saw mentioned elsewhere were accurate... well, suffice to say there is nothing stirring in the nether regions.

8am Saturday and still nothing... doesn't smell much like teen spirit

AppleinJapan

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2005
Ive waited 2 years for Apple to start the itunes music store...Why do we (non Americans) have to be second class citizens ?? we pay more and we have to wait more.......

broken_keyboard

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2004
Secret Moon base
AppleinJapan said:
Ive waited 2 years for Apple to start the itunes music store...Why do we (non Americans) have to be second class citizens ?? we pay more and we have to wait more.......

Things cost more and take longer because your economy is not as free.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
AppleinJapan said:

I'm a non-American and you don't hear me complaining about things like that. I had quite a wait for iTMS Canada as well, but didn't need to resort to cursing Apple's name. It is the way it is, learn to deal with it, Apple is doing the best job they can in opening these stores. There are more important things in life to worry about than a little online music store. :cool:

RubberChicken

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2003
Australia
~Shard~ said:
I'm a non-American and you don't hear me complaining about things like that. I had quite a wait for iTMS Canada as well, but didn't need to resort to cursing Apple's name. It is the way it is, learn to deal with it, Apple is doing the best job they can in opening these stores. There are more important things in life to worry about than a little online music store. :cool:

Yes this is very Zen of you, but the lack of the iTunes music store is just one of a long list of Apple services that Australians miss out on. And we pay a VERY high premium for the equipment and software compared to the US. This is like salt in the wound. In USD equivelent we pay USD$3840 for the base 2.7 G5 or USD$3,370 for the base 17" PowerBook or USD$157 for Tiger. That's an about 28%, 25% and 22% more! And we have no book printing from iPhoto, the map and address lookup in Address Book use MapQuest which has little coverage of Australia, ...blah, blah, blah. We have been patiently wating for the services Steve proudly shouts to the world for quite some time. And yet I still praise the wonder of Apple to anyone you will listen and try to convert every PC user I meet. I do generally enjoy their philosophy, their design... but a little equality would be icing on the cake. Looks like Canada has all these services and you pay well less than 1% over US prices. That does not really put you in the same position as Australia.

barneygumble

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2005
RubberChicken said:
Yes this is very Zen of you, but the lack of the iTunes music store is just one of a long list of Apple services that Australians miss out on. And we pay a VERY high premium for the equipment and software compared to the US. This is like salt in the wound. In USD equivelent we pay USD$3840 for the base 2.7 G5 or USD$3,370 for the base 17" PowerBook or USD$157 for Tiger. That's an about 28%, 25% and 22% more! And we have no book printing from iPhoto, the map and address lookup in Address Book use MapQuest which has little coverage of Australia, ...blah, blah, blah. We have been patiently wating for the services Steve proudly shouts to the world for quite some time. And yet I still praise the wonder of Apple to anyone you will listen and try to convert every PC user I meet. I do generally enjoy their philosophy, their design... but a little equality would be icing on the cake. Looks like Canada has all these services and you pay well less than 1% over US prices. That does not really put you in the same position as Australia.

i concur entirely look at the mini $499US vs $799AU which is equivalent to approximatly $640US would americans pay an extra 150 for the base model i think not. I emailed apple on this and got what seemed to be a standard reply to this question, in which exchange rates were blamed when was the last time the aussie dollar was less than $0.75 US apple you really need to do more in our market i would buy a mini tommorow if it was about $600AU as it should be!!!!!!!!! :mad: :mad:

and apple don't give us that rubbish about shipping last time i checked we were closer to china than the US

aswitcher

macrumors 603
Oct 8, 2003
Canberra OZ
barneygumble said:
i concur entirely look at the mini $499US vs $799AU which is equivalent to approximatly $640US would americans pay an extra 150 for the base model i think not. I emailed apple on this and got what seemed to be a standard reply to this question, in which exchange rates were blamed when was the last time the aussie dollar was less than $0.75 US apple you really need to do more in our market i would buy a mini tommorow if it was about $600AU as it should be!!!!!!!!! :mad: :mad:

and apple don't give us that rubbish about shipping last time i checked we were closer to china than the US

Yeah, I agree. The Mini is overpriced even with GST. Its dirt cheap to ship. I think they are capitalising on its newness to get more profit. BTOs ae hard to come by from what I undersand even now. Wait until the second half of this year and I am sure it will drop and/or have better specs.

Just to get the maths right - its about $666 and with GST thats more like $733... its still over priced. More so when you add superdrive, wifi, BT etc

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
RubberChicken said:

I apologize, as I probably shouldn't have stated that I do indeed agree with you on the whole pricing thing. My comments were more directed to the iTMS issue, but yes, I completely agree on the pricing issue - I have experienced that to a lesser agree myself being in Canada, with exchange rates not being properly reflected, etc.

Just wanted to clarify. ;) :cool:

RubberChicken

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2003
Australia
~Shard~ said:
I apologize, as I probably shouldn't have stated that I do indeed agree with you on the whole pricing thing. My comments were more directed to the iTMS issue, but yes, I completely agree on the pricing issue - I have experienced that to a lesser agree myself being in Canada, with exchange rates not being properly reflected, etc.

Just wanted to clarify. ;) :cool:

No need to apologise, just a discussion ;)

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
RubberChicken said:
No need to apologise, just a discussion ;)

Yeah, I know, but I still didn't want you to get the wrong idea - I've been on the wrong side of the "Apple exchange rate" many times myself... ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.