Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dotdotdot

macrumors 68020
Jan 23, 2005
In the video, he says "This is what they will look like" and shows THAT phone!

Just like the Tiger box - Steve showed us the Tiger box but yet no one saw it!

rendezvouscp

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2003
Long Beach, California
dotdotdot said:
In the video, he says "This is what they will look like" and shows THAT phone!

Just like the Tiger box - Steve showed us the Tiger box but yet no one saw it!

Hm hmm, he did not say that the phone would look like that, but he was demoing the iTunes integration, not the phone style. Oh, and btw, some of us did see it :D.
-Chase

ebunton

macrumors regular
Apr 25, 2004
Sydney
I just saw this posted at Ars Technica. Check out page 15 of this Motorola presentation. It contains the same picture of the Apple iPod phone.

http://library.corporate-ir.net/lib...ntoMorganStanleyAnalystsinBeijingTatelman.pdf

Meanwhile, I think that the key pad layout is pretty credible. I read somewhere (perhaps at http://www.synaptics.com) that you can have a touch sensitive surface that spans multiple keys with a uniform flat surface...

That is, notice in the pic, there is a green circle overlaying the keypad? That green circle can be treated as one touch-sensitive surface - the scroll wheel - even though it's comprised of separate keys.

s10

macrumors regular
Apr 8, 2002
Los Angeles
change black into white and voila!

Clearly the black colour is photoshopped, just imagine the phone in white.

The scrollwheel only lights up, in green or other colours, when the iTunes function is used, otherwhise it's just milky white, like the rest of the keypad.

The play,back- and forward and pause buttons cannot be on the clickwheel because of the keypad, that's why they are on the side.

R.Youden

macrumors 68020
Apr 1, 2005
I would love to get an iTunes phone, but not a Motorola one. I hate the Motorola interface, it looks so Windows 3.1 like. No font smoothing. Apple should have gone with Sony Ericsson. I have the S700i photo phone and it is great.

Why dont Apple license out iTunes to Nokia, Sony Ericsson like Microsoft did with Windows?

chucknorris

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2005
Moscow, ID (No Kremlin here!)
What's the big deal?

Am I alone in thinking this whole itunes phone deal is rather lame?
Maybe in 5 years will technology be in such a place for a device like this interest me. Until then however, I join the chorus in wondering where the bleeding ibooks are!!! Is this going to require a ritual sacrifice, Steve? I have been scouting virgins if it does...

Seriously though, I have much more enthusiasm for apple as an innovative computer company than as a gimicky gadget hocker.

Does anyone else wish that this coming special media event not even mention itunes (as much as I love my 'pod)?

jeriqo

macrumors member
Jun 4, 2005
Mehmet said:
I always thought that apple was the company to build and develop a great GUI.

Which makes me wonder why they picked motorola for itunes. O my goodness, I will never get a motorola phone again. The GUI is so crappy that it would just be better for you to get pen-and-paper to hold phone numbers.

True. I've been using 2 motorola phones and their GUIs were horrible.. had to click 12 times to send a SMS.. for instance.
No "right-clicking" on a name -> send SMS.

I want an Apple phone... please...
My older sagem sucked too.
Sony ericson was probably the best.. still not very good.

Poff

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2003
Stavanger, Norway
I definitely see the use, and if it's not too expensive I'll get one.

I allready have a Shuffle, but I would like another music library aswell. Had the Shuffle had a hack so that the button on the back was "off - library 1 - library 2", then I wouldn't be needing another music player.. But as it stands it would be really great to have one of those phones.

Question is what it will end up costing.. And if they will sell it in Norway..?

R.Youden

macrumors 68020
Apr 1, 2005
Why where the ipods so good -> Apple designed them.
Why would the ipod phone be good -> Apple aren't designing them!

The iPod is good because of DESIGN not features. Almost every MP3 player out there has more features but not as good a design as the iPod. If it is like the mock pics, no thanks.

They should make an iPod with a phone in it, not a phone with an iPod in it.

shadowmoses

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2005
Richard Youden said:
Why where the ipods so good -> Apple designed them.
Why would the ipod phone be good -> Apple aren't designing them!

The iPod is good because of DESIGN not features. Almost every MP3 player out there has more features but not as good a design as the iPod. If it is like the mock pics, no thanks.

They should make an iPod with a phone in it, not a phone with an iPod in it.

I agree with you to a certain extent but i feel iTunes was a key reason for the iPod's sucess before iTunes there was no music library software that was on the same level....So as long as i can sync the phone with iTunes effortlessly i will be happy...

ShadOW :D

Jaffa Cake

macrumors Core
Aug 1, 2004
The City of Culture, Englandshire
A lot of posts are mentioning how poor the Motorola GUI is... maybe as part of their partnership Apple are giving them a few pointers in this area? It would help Motorola with one of the most criticised elements of their mobiles, and the chance to work on the interface from top to bottom would probably make it a more attractive proposition to Apple.

Just my twopenneth worth. :)

R.Youden

macrumors 68020
Apr 1, 2005
Correct me if i am wrong but didn't Apple get a third party company to design the GUI for the iPod?

jeriqo

macrumors member
Jun 4, 2005
Richard Youden said:
Correct me if i am wrong but didn't Apple get a third party company to design the GUI for the iPod?

Whatever.. they've chosen the right one.

R.Youden

macrumors 68020
Apr 1, 2005
jeriqo said:
Whatever.. they've chosen the right one.

Oh yeah they chose the right one. Its just strange how they make great hardware, great OS's and software but they couldn't make an interface for an iPod.

efoto

macrumors 68030
Nov 16, 2004
Cloud 9 (-6)
ColoJohnBoy said:
It looks like my sister's phone from T-Mobile, a Moto C650. I hope to God that isn't the final phone - if it's any indication, the C650 is awkward to dial, even more awkward to speak into, and just doesn't feel very good in your hand. I was hoping they would use the PEBL V6 or the SLVR V8. Oh well. I can dream. Attached pics are of the SLVR.

That phone, although visually quite stunning and unique, looks horrendous to hold in your hand and actually talk on. It is so thin I cannot imagine it holds well in your hand when up against your ear. Other than that, I think it looks awesome.

Personally, I have seen Moto haters (me too) and Sony haters (me too) and a few people who like both, but I have to just say SIEMENS one time, even though it will never happen, but they make awesome mobile phones. Great design, good interface, solid products. The new S66 looks professional, powerful, everything else....just my vote incase SJ reads this :rolleyes:, partner with Siemens Mobile!

peharri

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2003
Well, my thoughts:

1. Yes, it's ugly. It's credible the way mobile phone design's been going of late. To the person who said they should have gone with Nokia - have you seen or, worse still, used any recent Nokia phones? Motorola have managed to pretty much stand still yet get ahead of Nokia in the sleek and well designed department, that's how bad Nokia has gotten.

2. The thing that makes the iPod the iPod, IMO, is the storage space. I'm happy to put up with most crappy interfaces (though I like the iPod's, for the most part) as long as I can just load my entire music collection into a device and not have to "maintain" it again until I buy more. Early reports suggested this phone was going to have storage akin to a regular flash player. Has anything come out to contradict this? I mean, you can get phones today that play MP3s, so it strikes me as a little pointless to market this phone as something special if the only advantage it has over a regular, MP3 playing, phone is that you can omit the "burn iTMS song to disk and re-import it" stage.

cleanup

macrumors 68030
Jun 26, 2005
Toronto
God, that is ugly. They should have let Steve Jobs design the phone. Then it would be a sexy white rectangle with grey/blue buttons. :)

efoto

macrumors 68030
Nov 16, 2004
Cloud 9 (-6)
cleanup said:
God, that is ugly. They should have let Steve Jobs design the phone. Then it would be a sexy white rectangle with grey/blue buttons. :)

I don't think SJ runs design much, if at all. Did he ever? (I have no idea really) I thought SJ was more of a symbolic leader and company head, not a designer....unless I am wrong, if you let someone like that design, well you are asking for a world of hurt!

ketha

macrumors newbie
Apr 17, 2004
I'm not sure if this is the phone. I want one just because the 'one device' thing is great but I don't overly like this version. But apple don't always do great design, look at the U2 Ipod!

I might get this but I imagine I'll wait for version 2. Apple probably believe at least 'some' of the future is in phones.. in many ways design isn't the big deal with this product, it's getting it made, and on a carrier. The first and second revamped Sony Ericcsson products were crappy in the extreme but good enough to allow them to improve and improve. Apple's got money in the bank and enough time and early adopters should know better than to get your hopes up on the first wave.

R.Youden

macrumors 68020
Apr 1, 2005
ketha said:
I'm not sure if this is the phone. I want one just because the 'one device' thing is great but I don't overly like this version. But apple don't always do great design, look at the U2 Ipod!

I might get this but I imagine I'll wait for version 2. Apple probably believe at least 'some' of the future is in phones.. in many ways design isn't the big deal with this product, it's getting it made, and on a carrier. The first and second revamped Sony Ericcsson products were crappy in the extreme but good enough to allow them to improve and improve. Apple's got money in the bank and enough time and early adopters should know better than to get your hopes up on the first wave.

Very good post. I agree totally but I think people expect Apple to be a high impact company with people going wow, thats so cool, rather than, oh look at the Motorola phone that can play songs! Sony Ericsson made poor phones but people said, hey lets give them time. Apple dont have that luxury, they have to get it right first time now, they cant make a mistake, people want to knock them so bad that any excuse will we welcomed by the Microsoft gangs.

Catt

macrumors member
May 21, 2003
London, UK
This is obviously a low-end entry model, like pretty much all of Moto's E series phone.

I really would not be suprised in Moto's upcoming V1150 supports iTunes:

http://www.mobile-review.com/phonemodels/motorola/motorola-v1150-en.shtml
v1150-2.jpg

To be honest you'll really need 3G speeds to get the most out of it I would have thought - and certainly removable memory and a high-res screen (all of which the V1150 has)

yeah, ugly fo' sho'.

An itunes phone should be more of an ipod and less of a phone. first off design-i'm not worried about black, btw, just black and neon green... ick. And all that messyness. I thought an itunes phone should be an ipod, clickwheel and all, used both for tunes and navigating menus, and for those rare times when you actually need to dial a number, some hidden keypad, somehow. So in this mockup, I like the wheel on top of keypad, if that's what it is, but the keys should be invisible unless backlit, and the scroll wheel there all the time.

itunes visualizer in the screen would be awesome, though!

oh, and this needs to be WAY thinner...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.