Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bwortman

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 3, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
I received my Ivyskin Quattro T4 in the mail on Saturday around noon and immediately protected my case with the beautiful royal blue case. Before I get into the issue I am having I must say I love the feel and look of this case. The glass screen is both wonderful and a small bit of a pain. You can't even tell that the glass screen is there when using the phone, however it is a little bit difficult to clean do to the way the top of case is designed.

Now on to the issue I am having with this beuatiful case. Right along the bottom of the case just above where you would plug in your port connector I am getting a little bit of peeling. It is not too much, but there is feeling and after paying $45 for the case this is frustrating. I have contact Ivyskin to notify them of the issue and I am waiting for their response. I will update upon receving their communication.

My question to all of you.... Has anyone else that has the case had any issue with peeling as well?

Look forward to hearing back from you soon.

Xtgirl

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2007
Could you post pics...I'd like to see what to look for. Thanks!

I bet they will send you a new one.

scott99

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2007
I received my Ivyskin Quattro T4 in the mail on Saturday around noon and immediately protected my case with the beautiful royal blue case. Before I get into the issue I am having I must say I love the feel and look of this case. The glass screen is both wonderful and a small bit of a pain. You can't even tell that the glass screen is there when using the phone, however it is a little bit difficult to clean do to the way the top of case is designed.

Now on to the issue I am having with this beuatiful case. Right along the bottom of the case just above where you would plug in your port connector I am getting a little bit of peeling. It is not too much, but there is feeling and after paying $45 for the case this is frustrating. I have contact Ivyskin to notify them of the issue and I am waiting for their response. I will update upon receving their communication.

My question to all of you.... Has anyone else that has the case had any issue with peeling as well?

Look forward to hearing back from you soon.

Yup, have the same issue with my black one. Seems to get worse, when the removable port cover is not in. Since I lost it, it may become a bigger issue. All in all, it's still my favorite case.

bwortman

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 3, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
Yup, have the same issue with my black one. Seems to get worse, when the removable port cover is not in. Since I lost it, it may become a bigger issue. All in all, it's still my favorite case.

Did you contact Ivyskin when you first noticed this happening? If so what was their response? Did it take awhile for them to get back to you?

I was wishing I was the only one with this issue or at least it was limited to a batch, but your black one having the same issue means it is more wide spread.

bwortman

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 3, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
Not sure how the picture will come through, but I did my best to show the peeling on the case. Photo taken with iPhone and adjusted with Photogene app. The lighter color is the peeling and it extends along the entire edge. The area where the arrow is pointing is the worse and is after only a day and a half of use.

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 339

scott99

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2007
Did you contact Ivyskin when you first noticed this happening? If so what was their response? Did it take awhile for them to get back to you?

I was wishing I was the only one with this issue or at least it was limited to a batch, but your black one having the same issue means it is more wide spread.

Nope, never called them. I think it's the paint that they use to color the cases. I'm really not too worried about it.

bwortman

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 3, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
I understand that it may be a coating on the case, but that means there is a quality issue with that coating and for it to start doing it after less than 2 days tells me the case should not sell for what it does. Don't get me wrong I love the case and the way it was designed, but not pleased with the poor quality of the coating if it is peeling after less than two days

Daremo

macrumors 68020
Jul 3, 2007
Chicago
So, if the paint on your 2 day old car was peeling off, would you be satisfied with the companies response of "It's just the cars coating, and nothing to worry about."?

Some people will say this is an unfair comparison because of price difference, but to me, quality is quality. You should get what you pay for. $45 for a peeling case is unforgivable, and with that excuse, they would lose a customer for life, and others as well when they read something like that in a forum.

Even if I was a billionaire, if my cars paint was peeling, you had better believe someone would be replacing that car.

bwortman

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 3, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
Update to case issue;

I am still waiting for any sort of reply from Ivyskin. It has been over two days and no response. I will keep you informed of what they say if I hear back

Xtgirl

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2007
I agree...this case is quite expensive......2 days..bleh

I hope they answer you soon...I would have to expect that they will send you a new one.

bwortman

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 3, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
That is odd they have taken that long...I email them about a exchange and it took 1 day....

I don't know why it has taken so long. I sent another e-mail yesterday around 1 est so I am still hoping. What e-mail address did you use? I sent it to "support@ivyskin.com". Luckily the peeling hasn't gotten any worse, but the lack of customer service is troubling.

Peterg2

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Bwortman,

Did you receive any reply on this? I have twice come very close pulling the trigger on a Quattro T4 case but the more I read the more reluctant I am to do business with them.

I did phone them about 10 days ago and I was told - take it for what it is worth - that Apple stores in the US would be carrying them some time this month, supposedly before Christmas. In that situation, I would most definitely purchase the case as, if there were any problem with shoddy workmanship, I am sure Apple would take back the case at the stores despite perhaps being outside the normal 14 day return policy.

bwortman

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 3, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
Bwortman,

I see that you posted 2 minutes before I posted (I was busy typing my post) and seemingly you have no response today either.

Timing! As of this morning I had no e-mail. Unfourtunetly I am not allowed to have my iPhone with me in the office due to where I work, but I will check at lunch time and update. If there isn't an e-mail I will try calling as well.

Peterg2

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2008
Montreal, Canada
This thread seems to show a clear quality control problem with Ivy Skin, coupled to what seems like shabby customer service.

In other threads here, or was it howardforums.com, it appears that one customer was offered an RMA, with perhaps a condition that he retract a negative comment he had made about the case on either ivyskin's site or elsewhere.

MileHighFyre

macrumors newbie
Dec 11, 2008
I'm very interested to get me one of these T4 cases so these threads help alot with my decision process.

One thing that keeps me from buying this is how the T4s protective screen will stand up to normal everyday bumps and scratches (keys in the pocket etc). If it scratches easily then what's the point? In my mind I've justified the cost of this case with the fact that you do not need to buy a case + a screen protector film (which could easily add up to $45). However, if I have a case with a seperate screen film and that gets a lot of wear of tear I can easily just buy a new film and be good as new. With the T4 you would have to buy a whole new case?

Anyone who has this case care to comment on the screen itself?

bwortman

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 3, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
I'm very interested to get me one of these T4 cases so these threads help alot with my decision process.

One thing that keeps me from buying this is how the T4s protective screen will stand up to normal everyday bumps and scratches (keys in the pocket etc). If it scratches easily then what's the point? In my mind I've justified the cost of this case with the fact that you do not need to buy a case + a screen protector film (which could easily add up to $45). However, if I have a case with a seperate screen film and that gets a lot of wear of tear I can easily just buy a new film and be good as new. With the T4 you would have to buy a whole new case?

Anyone who has this case care to comment on the screen itself?

As I have only had the case less than a week and even with the glass shield built in I am still careful not to place other objects in the same pocket I may not be able to answer fully what you are looking for. Just from normal everyday use I find that this case holds up well (except for the peeling on the bottom). There are no scratches on the built in glass shield and like the incase slider I don't have scatches on the back of the case as well. Some cases such as the Griffin Clarifi show scratches and are scratched up very easy. If I can get resolution with Ivyskin on the peeling I would recommend this case to pretty much anyone. If you compare it to the Slider it does add more bulk and maybe just a little more than the Clarifi. I will go back and check to make sure, but I would probably compare it to the Switcheasy rebel in terms of bulk added to the phone.

Let me know if you have more questions, but the glass is holding up well!

bwortman

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 3, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
Ivyskin responds!

Below is the e-mail response that I received from Ivyskin dealing with my email that claimed that the Quattro T4 was peeling.

"We’re absolutely puzzled by your argument claiming the case is peeling off after 1.5 days of use, every member at Ivyskin carries Quattro T4 Case for past month and no one has such issue as you claim it to be."

They go on to state that I should return the item at my cost and they will issue a refund "less shipping charges and 15% restocking fee’s within 10 business days. Please note if the item is in it’s original condition and packaging restocking fee will be waived."

So let me get this straight... Not only are they arguing my claim of a peeling case (please see picture above), but they are going to make me pay for shipping to return, charge me a 15% restocking fee and not refund me the cost of the original shipping? Does this sound like good customer service?

Peterg2

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2008
Montreal, Canada
bwortman,

you are going to have to pay the shipping charges back to them. Most companies do expect you to pick up that charge although the better ones might pick up that charge themselves. The shipping charges they are supposedly not going to refund are the ones you initially paid.

That being said, if you still have the original packaging *and* this is tricky the case is in its "original condition" then they will refund you the shipping charges you initially paid and not charge you a restocking fee.

I really think you should phone them. You really want, I am guessing, a non-peeling case from them rather than your money back? Correct?

Then perhaps refer them to this forum and read what others are saying in this thread. Just perhaps they will make a PR gesture by shipping you another one without the flaw, pay for that shipping as well as refund or credit you with the shipping on the return of the flawed one.

bwortman

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 3, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
bwortman,

you are going to have to pay the shipping charges back to them. Most companies do expect you to pick up that charge although the better ones might pick up that charge themselves. The shipping charges they are supposedly not going to refund are the ones you initially paid.

That being said, if you still have the original packaging *and* this is tricky the case is in its "original condition" then they will refund you the shipping charges you initially paid and not charge you a restocking fee.

I really think you should phone them. You really want, I am guessing, a non-peeling case from them rather than your money back? Correct?

Then perhaps refer them to this forum and read what others are saying in this thread. Just perhaps they will make a PR gesture by shipping you another one without the flaw, pay for that shipping as well as refund or credit you with the shipping on the return of the flawed one.

Yes, I just want a non-peeling case. I like the case overall, just not the peeling. I responded to their e-mail stating they should come to macrumors and read that others are having the same issue as me and that it's not a single person making this claim. I just don't find it very customer service oriented to make the person with the case that has quailty issues pay for returning it. I am at no fault, yet I am being treated as I am just wanting to return a case just because I don't like it. I want a quality Quattro T4, not a refund, yet the company is not living up to what other threads have said about their customer service being horrible. Am I so wrong for having these expectations?

Peterg2

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I agree with you.

But I say again, phone them and if there is an option for sales (I forget what options there were when I phoned) speak to them as they are more customer orientated. Perhaps everything is done by one person and it does not matter but perhaps the person in charge of RMAs is low on the totem pole and not the most cooperative.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.