Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bwortman

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 3, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
I agree with you.

But I say again, phone them and if there is an option for sales (I forget what options there were when I phoned) speak to them as they are more customer orientated. Perhaps everything is done by one person and it does not matter but perhaps the person in charge of RMAs is low on the totem pole and not the most cooperative.

Thank you for your advice, I will call them shortly. What is an RMA

Peterg2

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2008
Montreal, Canada
RMA stands for Return Material Authorization. This is a number which is provided and is supposed to be displayed on the return package. The department which handles returns is often termed the RMA department.

bwortman

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 3, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
Resolved...kind of

WOW! All I have to say is customer service is lacking when it comes to Ivyskin. I took the advice and called Ivyskin directly. It was not and easy conversation to say the least. At the beginning they held strong on their initial statement that I had to send back the case and they would refund the cost of the case minus shipping both ways and a restocking fee of 15%.

I then told them that even if I just wanted a refund it was not acceptable to me that I be charged shipping either way or the 15% restocking fee when the reason for the return was due to a failure of the coating on the product (peeling). Their response was that they would not charge me in this case for the restocking if it was found to be a defective product, but would still not return shipping costs. Again, I stated that was not acceptable to me and that I should not be charged for any shipping or restocking since it was not my fault that the product had failed.

I went on to state that the customer service I had received, and that seems to be the "trend" that most customers face when dealing with Ivyskin, was not acceptable and that I was not going to be without some sort of protection for the iPhone while they determined if the product had indeed failed. I stated I had e-mailed them Monday morning and did not get a response until I e-mailed a second time when they quickly stated they never received the first e-mail. I told them they were incorrect and asked him to go back and see which he did and he apoligized for the no response once he found my original e-mail.

At that point he quickly started asking me what he could do to make it work. I told him I wanted him to send me a replacement T4 with a pre-paid return box for defective T4 I had. He stated he couldn't send a T4, but could send a temporary T3 with a pre-paid box to return my T4 and upon deciding it was indeed peeling they would send me a replacement T4 and a return box for the temporary. We went back an forth and they are going to send me a Temporary T4 with return box which I will send my current T4 back and upon receiving the T4 and deciding it has peeled they will send me a permanent replacement and return box for the temporary T4.

I still don't get why they would send me a replacement with a return box, but that is the way they felt they needed to handle it cause if I truly wanted to I could have to T4s using their method.

Sorry for the long response, but I felt I needed to explain fully what my communication was like with Ivyskin so that when you are looking to possibly purchase this case you can consider my relations with Ivyskin and make your own decision whether to go through with your purchase or not. I will let you all know how it all turns out in the end...

Peterg2

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2008
Montreal, Canada
The only way I will buy a case now is if I can purchase it at the Apple Store. Even with a Sena case I don't think I want to have to do this online. Vaja may be different but they are in Buenos Aires and I have some strong business connections there who no doubt would help me out if there were a problem.

As for yourself, you really do not have much choice. I am curious to see how the case will hold up in say a few weeks and a few months.

Rayfire

macrumors 68030
Aug 25, 2008
PNW
WOW! All I have to say is customer service is lacking when it comes to Ivyskin. I took the advice and called Ivyskin directly. It was not and easy conversation to say the least. At the beginning they held strong on their initial statement that I had to send back the case and they would refund the cost of the case minus shipping both ways and a restocking fee of 15%.

I then told them that even if I just wanted a refund it was not acceptable to me that I be charged shipping either way or the 15% restocking fee when the reason for the return was due to a failure of the coating on the product (peeling). Their response was that they would not charge me in this case for the restocking if it was found to be a defective product, but would still not return shipping costs. Again, I stated that was not acceptable to me and that I should not be charged for any shipping or restocking since it was not my fault that the product had failed.

I went on to state that the customer service I had received, and that seems to be the "trend" that most customers face when dealing with Ivyskin, was not acceptable and that I was not going to be without some sort of protection for the iPhone while they determined if the product had indeed failed. I stated I had e-mailed them Monday morning and did not get a response until I e-mailed a second time when they quickly stated they never received the first e-mail. I told them they were incorrect and asked him to go back and see which he did and he apoligized for the no response once he found my original e-mail.

At that point he quickly started asking me what he could do to make it work. I told him I wanted him to send me a replacement T4 with a pre-paid return box for defective T4 I had. He stated he couldn't send a T4, but could send a temporary T3 with a pre-paid box to return my T4 and upon deciding it was indeed peeling they would send me a replacement T4 and a return box for the temporary. We went back an forth and they are going to send me a Temporary T4 with return box which I will send my current T4 back and upon receiving the T4 and deciding it has peeled they will send me a permanent replacement and return box for the temporary T4.

I still don't get why they would send me a replacement with a return box, but that is the way they felt they needed to handle it cause if I truly wanted to I could have to T4s using their method.

Sorry for the long response, but I felt I needed to explain fully what my communication was like with Ivyskin so that when you are looking to possibly purchase this case you can consider my relations with Ivyskin and make your own decision whether to go through with your purchase or not. I will let you all know how it all turns out in the end...

Wow that is one huge hassle.

Same thing happened to me for my Incase slider black during their first release when it had peelings, I had to ship them back at my own cost then wait for them to send me a new one. In the end I was really unsatisfied and told them to just refund the whole thing because the whole shipping cost if added all together is beyond what I imagined. I had to ship it twice.

OrangeDog

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2008
bwortman

I have read other people say that the T4 can be a bit unresponsive at the corners through the glass and that it's not 100% as crystal clear looking through the glass and that there can sometimes be a rainbow effect.

Can you please comment before I purchase one?

Thanks

bwortman

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 3, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
bwortman

I have read other people say that the T4 can be a bit unresponsive at the corners through the glass and that it's not 100% as crystal clear looking through the glass and that there can sometimes be a rainbow effect.

Can you please comment before I purchase one?

Thanks

I haven't had any problems with the responsiveness of the screen at the corners, but I also do not have any sort of additional screen shield on my iPhone other than the T4. Not sure if they did or not.

In my opinion you can tell there is another layer of glass either to the touch or to the eye.

Hope this helps

Xtgirl

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2007
Well, your experience is enough to turn me off to this company...

ridiculous....heck you could just send them pictures..

I guess the most perplexing part is that they will only send you a temporary case until they decide...that's just ridiculous...

You shouldn't have to pay shipping for their issue, and if they were truly concerned with customer satisfaction, they would have resolved this in a more thoughtful way...

Sweetbike40

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2007
NY/NJ
Wow, Ivyskin is terrible to their customers. Itsmemorphious just did an unboxing of this case and there were two issues. I'd never pay $45 for this poor quality case.

bwortman

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 3, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
Wow, Ivyskin is terrible to their customers. Itsmemorphious just did an unboxing of this case and there were two issues. I'd never pay $45 for this poor quality case.

Yep, saw itsmemorphious' video review. He received the case with a cracked glass front, yet when I spoke to them yesterday they stood 100% behind the quality of their product!

bwortman

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 3, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
I had my ivyskin T4 for over a month now and it is by far the BEST case for my money.

Noting is peeling and yes, I am careful with it. With the case, the iPhone has much better feel, and I got soooooooo many complements on mine already. You guys should look at other garbage cases out there, then you'd appriciate both the design and manufacturing on this case.

Also, these are small design shops not IBM or Apple, so the customer service dont compare.

Anyway, if anyone is looking for an iPhone case, Quattro is the case! noting comes close, except Vaja which I also have and enjoy using.

I agree that the case is a nicely designed case, yet I do question the quality of the coating when the one I received peels after a day and a half and their customer service is far from even good. in my opinion you are not only buying a case for the $45 you also being the customer service. Meaning how long it takes to ship the product and how they provide resolution to issues you may have with the product. That is why there are warranties when you purchase things. It is the whole experience and in my opinion it has been less than ideal.

fishmd

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2008
Sunny South Florida
I saw the video today as well. I am wondering if the reason he had such a hard time putting it on was due to the screen shield he had on the screen already. I know a lot of people are putting this case on their phones with their screen shields in place and all, but maybe the case is just not designed to do that.

I would be interested to hear from others if they have trouble putting it on or not without a screen shield on. Heck, once I get mine in the mail, I will take my shield off to try it out.

What do you say people. Anyone have thoughts or experiences.

bwortman

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 3, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
I saw the video today as well. I am wondering if the reason he had such a hard time putting it on was due to the screen shield he had on the screen already. I know a lot of people are putting this case on their phones with their screen shields in place and all, but maybe the case is just not designed to do that.

I would be interested to hear from others if they have trouble putting it on or not without a screen shield on. Heck, once I get mine in the mail, I will take my shield off to try it out.

What do you say people. Anyone have thoughts or experiences.

My expierence with the case is the vibrate switch does hit where the video shows, but you can shift the phone a little to the side and get it in much easier than what the video shows. I have no problem taking my phone out unlike what Carlos was having. I do not have a screen shield on it currently, but do not think it would effect it much. Others?

lcbaby32183

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2008
My Quattro case peeled terribly I contacted IvySkin what a pain in the A**

My case peeled terribly like everywhere. It is obvious that this case is defective. I contacted ivyskin, they were worthless and slow to do anything. Finally they sent me a new case, but I know it will peel again. This is a defective product that they are not willing to do anything about. I am disgusted for what I paid and the quality of what I got. I had to email them over a dozen times, and when I called the idiot I talked to was so confused that I questioned whether or not he was from this planet. What a joke!!!!!

Rayfire

macrumors 68030
Aug 25, 2008
PNW
My case peeled terribly like everywhere. It is obvious that this case is defective. I contacted ivyskin, they were worthless and slow to do anything. Finally they sent me a new case, but I know it will peel again. This is a defective product that they are not willing to do anything about. I am disgusted for what I paid and the quality of what I got. I had to email them over a dozen times, and when I called the idiot I talked to was so confused that I questioned whether or not he was from this planet. What a joke!!!!!

Calm down buddy. Like what Carlos said on his video, your case might be one of those who never undergone quality control, was it pre-made or something term that he said. That's why I never buy first releases of cases, I've learned the hard way from my Incase experience.

EDIT: pre-production models was the term

Peterg2

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2008
Montreal, Canada
The only way I am going to buy this case is if it comes to an Apple Store (supposedly this month but only in the US possibly). There are just too many people having problems with the quality and it appears that the staff at ivyskin are strangers to customer service.

Rayfire

macrumors 68030
Aug 25, 2008
PNW
I'd love to see this T4 case here at my local Apple store, but apparently they show no signs of having it (not even getting one) I really want to check out that touch-through glass, whether is it worth it or not to get a glass-by-glass combo, especially the missing "channels" on the sides that made it hard for the iPhone to get in place.

OrangeDog

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2008
I ordered one a while back and haven't received it as yet.

Ivyskin, if your reading this.....YOUR CUSTOMER SERVICE SUCKS ASS

Please - it doesn't take long for an employee to answer emails. At lot of your business is coming to you from the internet. People have long memories and it's very easy to lose a customer forever.

Please, lift your game and your reputation and and answer customers emails.

fishmd

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2008
Sunny South Florida
I'd love to see this T4 case here at my local Apple store, but apparently they show no signs of having it (not even getting one) I really want to check out that touch-through glass, whether is it worth it or not to get a glass-by-glass combo, especially the missing "channels" on the sides that made it hard for the iPhone to get in place.

In regards to there being no "channel" there is no need for one. I got my case today and found out how to put it on properly. If it is done right, it will slide in and out with ease. I will try to describe as best I can. Basically, there are channels that run down the side of the case on both sides. These channels are for the opposing pieces the interlock with each other as you slide the pieces together. You actually have to start sliding the iphone in before these channels start. The reason for this, is that if you do it, the silent switch and the volume rocker switch will actually sit bellow the channel and this protects it as well as allowing it to slide right in. This way the silent switch does not get caught as it did on the itsmemorphious video. Sorry, it is kinda hard to explain. Basically, just start sliding the iphone in at the very bottom of the case rather than half-way up and you will be good to go.

Now, however, I do have the peeling issue.:( First thing out of the box and there are several small areas that are peeled. I have the black one by the way. It is not too bad though. Just so long as it does not keep peeling I think it will be ok. Still sucks though. But I guess Ivyskin does not really give us any recourse to rectify the situation. But it is a problem Ivyskin. Look into it please.

bwortman

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 3, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
My opinion...Stay away from Ivyskin

Just another update....

Even after my conversation with Ivyskin on the 11th and the glimer of hope that came from that nearly 30 minute conversation and thinking we came to some sort of agreement, Ivyskins lack of customer service shines again. It seems that Ivyskin still has not sent the temporary case or the return box as of this morning. According to USPS

"The U.S. Postal Service was electronically notified by the shipper on December 11, 2008 to expect your package for mailing. This does not indicate receipt by the USPS or the actual mailing date. Delivery status information will be provided if / when available. Information, if available, is updated every evening. Please check again later. "

Now I am hope the item has been shipped an that the USPS website just has not updated due to how it was mailed, but I am not getting my hopes up since Ivyskin's customer service to date has been horrible. I am at the point where Ivyskin will not get another dime from me and I hope each of you take this thread, read it, and then make a more educated choice before doing business with this company. I will not do so in the future. Horrible

dauerhippo

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2008
Not sure if this would work, but have any of you guys having problems with ivysikin tried disputing the charge with your credit card companies? If enough people do this, it will really hurt them, and they will have to change their CS policies!

Just an idea. If that doesn't work, you could always make one of those colorful flashy signatures on your macrumors posts, that says "Stay away from Ivyskin" with a link to this thread. They hate that!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.