Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

haiggy

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2003
Ontario, Canada
Hmmmmmmmm...

I just got a $30 parking ticket as a nice present from my school... didn't even deserve it because I wasn't parked in their lots or on their property... go figure?

Anyways, I made an appeal and if I get out of it I'll buy the application and consider it as paying the parking ticket and saving $5 :p

rKunda

macrumors 68000
Jul 14, 2008
I can't get it to work.

Jaadu Click is working fine, but the server doesn't show up on the list when I use the full version. Grrr.

akac

macrumors 6502
Aug 17, 2003
Colorado
Except Mocha plain doesn't work. At least on multiple devices here with multiple computers and multiple different users. I mean you can connect (though all my monitors are 1920x1200 which Mocha doesn't support), but it crashes 99% of the time within minutes, I can't even click anywhere properly - i.e. Mocha was useless. Jaadu works PERFECTLY. That's worth paying.

Yeah, beauty, eye, beholder.

Someone asked about the difference between this and the Jaadu VNC Lite already available for US$4.99. The other $5 version was not really a "lite" version of the product, but strictly a paid demo. No keystrokes, no mouse-clicks; all you could do was scroll around. Woo. (I think it's free now, however.)

I encourage anyone with a Mac, Leopard, and mere curiosity, or irregular needs on local 802.11x network, and fairly limited needs over EDGE/3G, to look at Mocha VNC Lite instead. Mocha VNC Lite is free now, free for at least the next update -- they could start charging for updates, but they have a premium product, so it's not likely for fixes and enhancements of the "lite" feature set. And of course free to download again if you somehow delete it w/o b/u on your Mac. (I say Mac owners, because I believe in order to use Mocha VNC Lite on a Windows machine you have to buy into at least some level of a Windows VNC client, though not necessarily Mocha's. For a Mac, Mocha Lite uses standard VNC, as does Leopard's "screen sharing" features: the VNC software you need to use Mocha VNC Lite is already built into your Mac.)

Mocha VNC Lite is speedy enough over local networks, and about painfully slow over EDGE/3G -- but not as painful as having critical need to start something on your Mac before you went out and having no means whatsoever by which to do that once you're out. Again, it's free.

As for Jaadu, the developers do not have to snatch back their US$20 when you update or re-download. This is their choice. I've bought at discount and downloaded free "first 1,000 [or whatever]" full versions of App Store apps, with free updates and re-downloads just as if I'd paid full price in the first place. Updates can be free or paid, as can future re-downloads. This is a rather disingenuous offer as any bug fix or the tiniest dot update results in scrupulous care NOT to update Jaadu, or you're inadvertently dinged US$20.

Note that US$25 is a rather outrageous price by App Store terms -- considering Mac purchasers are paying for development of a Windows client they don't need. Note also an original US$5 for nothing but a hobbled demo, w/o even an equal discount on a later full purchase. Note also this "update and you get hit for the difference" thing. It's not completely kosher. This is a bit of what happens when most of your developer community at launch were off-hours dabblers doing things with your platform you specifically forbade them do until the release of the SDK. You're going to get some characters not fully acquainted with ethical business practices. Before long this will shakeout to the truly talented off-hours dabblers with some sense on top of it, and all the rest of the dreck iPhone app developers, who will just fall on their faces.

(In partial defense of Jaadu's developers, it is one of the few non-gaming, paid apps on the App Store that actually does anything worth paying for, albeit limited to those who really need its features.)

plumbingandtech

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2007
They missed the west coast crowd (LA, San Fransisco...two HUGE markets for the iPHone) with the 12pm Easter deadline. Still shows $4.99, ready to buy...but not working as the deadline has passed. No thanks for more than $5.

OMG?

He had a sale and then cuts off the west coast. (you know, TECH CENTRAL!).. I see it on the store over here but some people are saying the buy link does not work? Not even going to bother anymore.

I really have had it with this developer,(I bought the 1 dollar version too, which is no longer there. But popped up for updates until I finillay deleted it form itunes altogther. Thanks Dev!:rolleyes:)

This guy is really starting to remind me of the Newsfire / Inquistor guy.

I just don't like the way he does business and will skip his tool altogether and wait for another solution that supports two large LCDs.

geekmommy4

macrumors 6502
Feb 10, 2008
Texas
Does anyone else use ObjectDock for Windows? My dock doesn't show up when viewing my desktop from my iPhone through Jaadu VNC, so if I don't have my start bar enabled, I can't do anything. I don't see a way to "press a windows menu button" through the software buttons in Jaadu. Any suggestions (besides leaving the start bar enabled)?

lazyrighteye

Contributor
Jan 16, 2002
Denver, CO
Anyone else getting the message that its currently being modified and then it aborts the install on iPhone?

I just tried to purchase at 1:32 MT, and received the same "modified" message you are reporting.
But when I pressed Buy, it was still $4.99.

FWIW, I'm on an original iPhone, accessing App Store vie EDGE.

We'll see.

hyeok

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2007
So I bought this for $5, and it seems to work really well.

BUT, it seems like I can still connect to my mac from my iphone without having the Jaadu Connect client running on my Mac. Then whats the point of having this application on my computer?

Also, is this app really a security risk like some people are saying?

Donz0r

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2006
This app Rocks! Everyone should buy it. I bought it for $25 a month ago and it's totally worth it. It runs perfectly. I use it as a wireless Keyboard and Mouse for my mac and it's wonderful. It refreshes quickly (not quick enough for watching video) but quick enough so you can use the little screen to see what you're clicking on. The mouse moves around smoothly, and it has all the modifier keys, etc.

TimothyB

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2008
Bay Area
The app store is really pissing me off with this currently being modified crap. This is not the first time it's happened where when you try to buy you can't. I mean, what if I spent an hour researching the app to see if it would work for me and going through this thread, then when I finally hit buy I can't. What a waste of time, and false advertising. If they want to do these incredibly short sales, it better update instantly when the sale is over or at least have a countdown. So far it seems like a whole day these things are being modified and showing the false price.

It's like going to a store because you saw an ad for a low price, spend a bunch of time with sales person answering all your questions and mulling it over, but when you finally say I'll take it, they say no, it's being modified, even though the price is still there. What the hell, I feel like the appstore is a bait and switch half the time. I wish I hadn't taken the time to read this damn thread for no reason.

Stram

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2007
This sucks. I bought this app from the appstore on my phone and I guess because of the restrictions the guy put on it with the updates it won't sync it to my Mac so I cant back it up or even put it on my touch. If I had waited until I got home from work to buy I would have then missed the sale. iTunes saying it;s transferring but nothing appears in my Applications. Now if I do any fresh restore in the future I am screwed. Transferring purchases before has worked fine.

Hmm, I just downloaded it again as it's still at £2.99 in the UK and in my iTunes account is says downloaded for free.

mtfield

macrumors 6502
Jan 9, 2008
This sucks. I bought this app from the appstore on my phone and I guess because of the restrictions the guy put on it with the updates it won't sync it to my Mac so I cant back it up or even put it on my touch. If I had waited until I got home from work to buy I would have then missed the sale. iTunes saying it;s transferring but nothing appears in my Applications. Now if I do any fresh restore in the future I am screwed. Transferring purchases before has worked fine before.

It might be getting messed up because of his "modification," so I would wait till it's back up in the app store and working then try and transfer it over. I bought it on my phone early this morning and transfered before noon and it worked... so, i'd imagine it's just that that is bugging it up.

macintarif

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2008
Am I alone in thinking that not publishing the *requires paid update on the app page during the sale = scam?!??

CADer

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2007
I'm on the west coast and I got it at 9:00P yesterday. So I don't really see how anyone who was aware of it could have missed this.

Yeah same here 9:00 pm out in Nevada.
I even set a calender alert on the iPhone so that after Mountain biking I would not forget to buy it.

zephead

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2006
in your pants
Lucky me, I live on the west coast and had to get up early this morning and saw the sale, so I pounced on it and I'm using it right now, on my iPhone through my MacBook. It's alright, getting it for $5 isn't bad and it's pretty cool what it can do, but the typing is laaaagy.

CTYankee

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2002
I'm on the west coast and I got it at 9:00P yesterday. So I don't really see how anyone who was aware of it could have missed this.

Thats the trick...aware of it. Many people don't check email or the web at night. Then when they get into work in the am there is a very short window of time to find it and get it.

It seems like this was more about spreading the word about the app in general (new name) than offering it for sale. They put it up at the discounted price during about the most in dead time of the week (non work hours on a Thursday/Friday). Yet got publicity like this...good marketing move, I'll give them that.

Scooterman1

macrumors 6502a
May 15, 2008
Houston, Tx
This vendor already ripped me off when they sold the Teleport Lite and charged for it and you couldn't do anything but move the mouse. That was it. Do you think they offered a refund or a upgrade to the FULL. No. So, they will never get any more of my money. Even with this trick of selling it for $4.99 and then wanting you to pay the other $20 for the next version. They will probably come out with it in a week or two. Save your money. Mocha VNC works well and is a LOT cheaper.

radiogod69

macrumors member
Jun 2, 2008
Minnesota
This thing was super easy to setup, of course it is if you are computer savvy, the youtube video does help with the initial configuration. I wish it had multi touch where you can give a gesture on the screen to right click on the start menu. The app is a little on the pricey side but if you want to be able to goto flash websites on the go or to just do tasks on your computer remotely its well worth it!

lazyrighteye

Contributor
Jan 16, 2002
Denver, CO
Curious: peeps seeing the 'modified' message - was this BEFORE or AFTER the noon EST?

Yes, quoting myself.

It appears that people seeing the 'being modified' message saw this AFTER the sale ended at noon EST. Myself included. When it finally showed up in the App Store again, the price reverted back to $24.99.
Poop.

So are there cheaper (than $24.99), functionally equivalent options?

Which reminds me - it would be nice if Apple & the developer community could figure out a way for users to test drive apps before purchasing. A simple trial period that is either time sensitive or would only allow partial feature usage or something. Sure, some users will buy since they can't try. But I suspect more people are not buying because they can't try 1st.

Back OT, how does Mocha VNC compare?
Jaadu's UI looks pretty nice...
I have used neither.
Thoughts?

esquire360

macrumors regular
Sep 8, 2007
jaadu please run this again, It's been botched all day... I wan't to give you 3.50 after aaples cut.

rKunda

macrumors 68000
Jul 14, 2008
If enough people bought it for the sale price, I'd assume it possible that they might permanently lower the price. If more than 5x as many people bought it cheaper, then a lower price would net them more $.

Glad I was up early. :)

VeNoMiZeD

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2008
San Francisco
So I got it earlier today. It's a decent program, only thing I can really use this for, but seems to not work on my "HOME COMPUTER". I have two accounts on my computer, me being the main/administrator and a guest account. Well when I have my admin account logged on with the JAADU AND VNC client running. I go to switch users (that's how I usually log off, without really loggin off). To allow my guest users (family members) use my computer. So when testing this software out. I did that and when I logged in with the guest user it starts to go to the desktop and then it goes back to the login page. Anyway to fix that? I would love to see what is going on when Im gone and "guest users" are on my computer and would like to see from my iphone what they're doing. I would need the ADMIN account running in the background to have Jaadu and tightVNC program running to make this work. So I can't loggoff from the admin. Thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.