Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I think I needed to go back and watch S1 & S2 again. It was just too long of a break. Wife keeps mentioning things that happened in a previous season and I have no clue what she is talking about.

Yes, great episode.
Dude, I can relate. My sort term memory is not what it used to be. So for this evolution of Jack Ryan watching, I said I wanted to watch the last episode of Season 2. So 5 minutes in, I told my wife, I don’t remember any of this, so I started back on S2E1. Later I discovered, she had put it on, S3E8. No wonder I had no clue as I’ve not watched that yet, lol. :D

• Haha
Reactions: Herdfan

Herdfan

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2011
Dude, I can relate. My sort term memory is not what it used to be.

Except it has been so long since S2 that it should have been in long-term memory. And mine isn't what it used to be either. :)

I will admit I have issues remembering Eastern European characters. They either look or sound too similar or their names aren't familiar so I have trouble remembering not only them, but what they did.

For example, in S3E2 (if you haven't watched it, don't click on the spoiler)

I did not recognize the guy's wife as the girl from the bar. My wife and daughter both did immediately.

Reactions: Huntn

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Except it has been so long since S2 that it should have been in long-term memory. And mine isn't what it used to be either. :)

I will admit I have issues remembering Eastern European characters. They either look or sound too similar or their names aren't familiar so I have trouble remembering not only them, but what they did.

For example, in S3E2 (if you haven't watched it, don't click on the spoiler)

I did not recognize the guy's wife as the girl from the bar. My wife and daughter both did immediately.
I’ve not gotten to S3 yet. It’s possible that as you age, what you watch on TV has less registration/imprint than other events in your life. 🤔 I see it as age related degradation of mental acuity that I am acutely aware of. I remember by Mom being so bothered by it at my age, that she attended a memory study. The good news maybe it is said that if you worried about your ability to remember at least you don’t have Alzheimer’s.

Last edited:
Reactions: Herdfan

Herdfan

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2011
Went to watch S3E5 last night and Prime was down. Couldn't get it on my ATV, daughter couldn't get it on her Playstation and downdetector.com was reporting 2131 reports vs a baseline of 11. It wasn't my internet connection because I was able to pull up Hulu with no issues.

:(

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Online blurb about this show:
Who knew John Krasinski would come such a long way from his ‘The Office‘ days? With the Amazon original show ‘Tom Clancy’s Jack Ryan‘, Krasinski has become the ultimate action hero on television aided by his good looks, chiseled physique, and acting prowess. The show is one of the most intense action-thrillers on television right now, and has enough potential to compete with any high-octane Hollywood action movie one can dream of.

I agree! Due to my schedule I won’t get around to S3 until the last half of the month. :D

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
Who knew John Krasinski would come such a long way from his ‘The Office‘ days? With the Amazon original show ‘Tom Clancy’s Jack Ryan‘, Krasinski has become the ultimate action hero on television aided by his good looks, chiseled physique, and acting prowess. The show is one of the most intense action-thrillers on television right now, and has enough potential to compete with any high-octane Hollywood action movie one can dream of.

I agree! Due to my schedule I won’t get around to S3 until the last half of the month. :D
He is definitely better than I was thinking he would be.

Canyda

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2020
Watched six of the eight episodes of season 3 last night in one go. Very fun (as always) but, geez, the CIA is so incompetent. Like, maybe double check the train schedule against the screencap of the train Jack is supposedly on to see what colour line it is?

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
Finished it over the weekend! Liked it a lot.

I was actually a little bummed about the main Russian guy working with Jack, getting it in the end. I know he was a bad dude, but he sort of made up for it...

Herdfan

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2011

I am starting to think he is the "best" Jack Ryan.

I liked Alec Baldwin's version, but that version is nothing like this version. Didn't like Harrison Ford as he just didn't fit the part. And don't even get me started on Ben Affleck or Chris Pine.

Maybe they can spin off a movie or 2.

Canyda

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2020
Finished it yesterday. Season peaked in episode 6 and limped to the finish in the final two episodes.

Also couldn't believe they basically lifted a huge component of the Hunt for Red October movie and made it basically Jack subplot section of the final episode.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
I have not read any of the books, but do any of the seasons follow a book or books? I noticed @Canyda mentions The Hunt For Red October... Just curious if there are any other books these are pulled from.

They did something similar with the Harry Bosch, as there tends to be several book lines strung through the season, just curious if they are doing that here.

flygbuss

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2018
Stockholm, Sweden
I have not read any of the books, but do any of the seasons follow a book or books? I noticed @Canyda mentions The Hunt For Red October... Just curious if there are any other books these are pulled from.

They did something similar with the Harry Bosch, as there tends to be several book lines strung through the season, just curious if they are doing that here.

The TV show puts the Jack Ryan character in the present while in the books now his son, Jack Ryan Jr. (also an operative) is probably the same age as the TV Ryan.
Hunt for Red October for example puts Jack Ryan in the middle of the cold war.
They still release books, even though Clancy is dead for at least 8 or 9 years.
If you're interested I'd recommend 'The Cardinal of the Kremlin'.
I think it's the forth or fifth book in the Jack Ryan universe, but I always liked it the most to start with the series.
They just released a new book written by Marc Cameron that takes place earlier in the timeline and they did that before, so I guess it's quite normal to not read the books in the chronological order.
The story is different from the show, but it's the same vibe, the same accuracy and I always liked that Clancy avoided to damn a whole nation. Like in the show, there are always good and bad characters on every side.

Finished it over the weekend! Liked it a lot.

I was actually a little bummed about the main Russian guy working with Jack, getting it in the end. I know he was a bad dude, but he sort of made up for it...

I felt the same although they kinda let it open what actually happened to him.

Reactions: Huntn and rhett7660

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
I am starting to think he is the "best" Jack Ryan.

I liked Alec Baldwin's version, but that version is nothing like this version. Didn't like Harrison Ford as he just didn't fit the part. And don't even get me started on Ben Affleck or Chris Pine.

Maybe they can spin off a movie or 2.
Agreed, Krasinski is the best.

Reactions: rhett7660 and Huntn

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
The TV show puts the Jack Ryan character in the present while in the books now his son, Jack Ryan Jr. (also an operative) is probably the same age as the TV Ryan.
Hunt for Red October for example puts Jack Ryan in the middle of the cold war.
They still release books, even though Clancy is dead for at least 8 or 9 years.
If you're interested I'd recommend 'The Cardinal of the Kremlin'.
I think it's the forth or fifth book in the Jack Ryan universe, but I always liked it the most to start with the series.
They just released a new book written by Marc Cameron that takes place earlier in the timeline and they did that before, so I guess it's quite normal to not read the books in the chronological order.
The story is different from the show, but it's the same vibe, the same accuracy and I always liked that Clancy avoided to damn a whole nation. Like in the show, there are always good and bad characters on every side.

I felt the same although they kinda let it open what actually happened to him.

Thanks and it is now on my reading list!!!

Soooooo true re: spoiler!

While I know it isn't the same character, but the Russian character Jack was working with, reminded me of the Russian spy from "The Sum of All Fears" movie/book.

Reactions: flygbuss

flygbuss

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2018
Stockholm, Sweden
Thanks and it is now on my reading list!!!

Soooooo true re: spoiler!

While I know it isn't the same character, but the Russian character Jack was working with, reminded me of the Russian spy from "The Sum of All Fears" movie/book.
True. Clancy apparently liked to portrait these old school, play by the rules KGB guys.

You’ll find them in many of his stories.

Reactions: Huntn and rhett7660

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Season 4, 2 Episodes in, loving it, taking it slow one episode vs two a viewing session, which would be my normal. Such a good show with former season cast members playing their parts. :)

Reactions: FarmerBob

Sal09

macrumors 601
Sep 21, 2014
United Kingdom
Just finished watching the final two episodes of Season 4.

Oh man that was one hell of a finale.

They’ve left the door ajar for comeback maybe and i hope they do at some point in future.

One hell of a series though.

John, Wendell, Pena, Michael Kelly and rest of the team they all were great.

ONE HELL OF A PHOTO.

• Love
Reactions: Lioness~ and Huntn

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Just finished watching the final two episodes of Season 4.

Oh man that was one hell of a finale.

They’ve left the door ajar for comeback maybe and i hope they do at some point in future.

One hell of a series though.

John, Wendell, Pena, Michael Kelly and rest of the team they all were great.

ONE HELL OF A PHOTO.
Michael Peña- He started in a serious role (Shooter), went comedy (Ant Man), and now back to serious, I like him. And John Krasinski, he’s an excellent Ryan, just as good as Baldwin and Ford, before him. :)

Reactions: flygbuss
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.