Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

confessJason

Cancelled
Oct 14, 2011
I value macrumors’ members having special insight into how Ive worked. Nothing has been written about how he actually worked other than he assigned leaders to products, held design reviews, and oversaw sketch sessions. And we don’t know other executive influence on ID. Yet, I appreciate everyone here with special knowledge on Ive’s regimen.

Reactions: araadt and rjp1

LeonardXW

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2016
I actually prefer Jong ive thinnest Design, still think that is the best user experience. I am feeling sad

AlexGraphicD

Suspended
Oct 26, 2015
New York
My take: he was great at physical design of objects. Not so great at interface design, which he eventually got involved in. As crucial as his designs were to Apple’s revival, he became less crucial over time. Still, I’ll miss hearing “aluminium”.
Brain, heart, soul and guts of Apple gone.

Replaced by MBA charlatans and venal, money-obsessed scumbags.

Couldn’t have said it better myself. That’s how it truly feels like.

Last edited:

Greenmeenie

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2013
Jobs was the heart of Apple & Ives was the aesthetic. A match made in Heaven. But at least we’ve still got Tim the numbers guy.

• Sad
Reactions: chfilm

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Highly doubt that will ever happen as long as Tim remains CEO. Cook made the call for him to step down over their Apple Maps apology disagreement. And as long as Apple keeps up its ever impressive financial performance I just can't see Tim going any time soon.
Apparently Maps was the last straw. Forstall was notoriously difficult to work with, much like Steve Jobs himself, but it seems like Jobs was able to keep him in check.

Jim Lahey

macrumors 68030
Apr 8, 2014
It's perhaps the ultimate irony that many of those complaining about Ive are probably doing so from a device he designed.

Personally I think it's sad that he has left Apple, and I do hope he continues to play an active role in shaping their product designs now and in the future. Those who are pleased with his departure and looking forward to new designs without his input should be careful what they wish for.

mw360

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010
It's perhaps the ultimate irony that many of those complaining about Ive are probably doing so from a device he designed.

Personally I think it's sad that he has left Apple, and I do hope he continues to play an active role in shaping their product designs now and in the future. Those who are pleased with his departure and looking forward to new designs without his input should be careful what they wish for.

Its fair to say Apple products may get significantly worse in some respects, but it might be worth the risk if they get better in respects that have been neglected for some time. Eg. Usability for professionals. With the new MBP keyboard for example there are positive signs that users matter again.

developer13245

macrumors 6502a
Nov 15, 2012
Before he died Jobs ensured Ive was "set up" to be untouchable, even by the board. Big mistake.

The Mac Pro debacle has been the result of Ive's untouchable status. Jobs always knew the pre 6,1 Mac Pro tower (cMP) design was a compromise, but it was a necessary one to compete in the pro space at a reasonable price point. Sure, physical design was a big part of Apple's success (the cMP still is one of the best 'tower' personal computers in history). But after Jobs left the building Ive operated unchecked by reality. The MP "trash can" was the result. It took Apple execs almost FOUR years to realize the mistake they made, then they gave Ive TWO more years to "redo" a tower design. The new Mac Pro is a capable machine, but the physical design is so way over the top that it is now priced to fail.

Bob Mansfield was the senior VP of of Mac Hardware Engineering, but didn't last a year after Jobs departure. He seemed to be the "Voice of reason" that enabled balance between physical design and practicality. When Ivy assumed absolute power, that balance crumbled and the downward spiral began.

With Ive removed from leadership maybe Apple can regain some balance and save the ship but I fear it is too late.

Last edited:

Khedron

Suspended
Sep 27, 2013
I thank Jony for all the work as you did great things. However it was time for a change as Form over Function became too extreme IMO.

Tim's design philosophy is "whatever parts we already have available over form"

WannaGoMac

macrumors 68030
Feb 11, 2007
Jobs was the balance that Ive needed. Often Steve had to reel him back in, but ever since Steve passed away, Johnny Ive got too powerful at apple. His words got too much weight. Its good now that he's gone and hopefully balance and rational thinking is restored at apple.

i wonder now what happens. There is no star running the product show anymore. When this happened in late 1980s and 1990 Apple went into the toilet

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.