Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

psingh01

macrumors 68000
Apr 19, 2004
Product visionaries all but gone from Apple.

Yeah but there are a lot of people that have left even long before that. The original researcher of the macOS kernel going back to NeXT left in 2003. The guy behind the iPod left in 2008. Other people step up.

citysnaps

macrumors G4
Oct 10, 2011
What an incredible legacy. We haven’t seen such a body of work since Dieter Rams. It’s been fun to watch. Thanks for everything, Jony.

That can't be stated enough. Hat-tip to Mr. Ive for his vision and contributions that propelled Apple to where it is today. Apple's competitors "appropriating" Ive's designs speak volumes.

ouimetnick

macrumors 68040
Aug 28, 2008
Beverly, Massachusetts
Good riddance butterfly boy. Seems like Steve kept everyone in check. Ive is a smart and talented guy, but I think he needed someone he respected to tell him “no” on certain things. Similar to Forstall. Regardless, Jony Ive is the reason Apple is where it is today. The iMac, iPod, iPhone, iPad, unibody portables, etc were all Ive’s brilliant work.

Squeak825

macrumors 6502
Sep 5, 2007
Never, hopefully.

All his designs were about thinness and removing features.

You might want to reread the post you quoted. He was asking when the new designs that Ive DIDNT create will come out (“post Ive”)
I guess all of you who are celebrating Ive’s departure skipped over this sentence.
It is a throwaway sentence to imply continuity, but it most likely is a mere courtesy. The design leadership will change now.

Feyl

Cancelled
Aug 24, 2013
I’m not sure if I feel sadness or happiness. The fact is that he and Steve formed a powerful team that made some truly groundbreaking products. I think having Steve by his side was a huge part of what he loved at Apple and it was evident since Steve’s passing that he wasn’t that excited about products. I hope he restores his passion for design in his future endeavours. I loved Jony until the iOS 7 monstrosity, but still I’m going to miss him. Truly a historic and very sad moment for Apple today.

Reactions: dysamoria

frifra

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2008
Highly doubt that will ever happen as long as Tim remains CEO. Cook made the call for him to step down over their Apple Maps apology disagreement. And as long as Apple keeps up its ever impressive financial performance I just can't see Tim going any time soon.
I'd like to see that Steve Ballmer gif shouting "developers, developers, developers..." redone with Tim Cook shouting "shareholders, shareholders, shareholders, "

tenor[1].gif

jicon

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2004
Toronto, ON
I'd figure the only guy with any reasonable hardware thinking willing to speak up was Bob Mansfield. Maybe no Ive has helped Apple criticize themselves a bit more. If the iMac issues are addressed, and smaller laptops are improved like the 16" Macbook Pro was (I still think RAM and SSD should be replaceable, and argue magsafe should make a return), then... perhaps there's been a positive design shift. Macbook Pro keyboard and thermals, iPhone battery and screen, Airpod antennae, fit, and noise cancellation improvements in the Pro all sound like hardware winners this year. Function over form.

Reactions: dysamoria

Riviera122

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2008
Very sad. The true end of an era with Forstall, Jobs and Ive no longer being around. Very much looking forward to seeing what LoveFrom come up with.

iphonehype

macrumors 65816
Sep 14, 2012
Jobs was the balance that Ive needed. Often Steve had to reel him back in, but ever since Steve passed away, Johnny Ive got too powerful at apple. His words got too much weight. Its good now that he's gone and hopefully balance and rational thinking is restored at apple.

Did Steve call you personally or did you read an article?
[automerge]1574952392[/automerge]
Apple will be fine without him. He clearly lost interest in consumer electronics in the last years.

How is this clear?

citysnaps

macrumors G4
Oct 10, 2011
iPad mini design unchanged for 7 years

That's not a design philosophy. All of Apple's tablets have pretty much looked the same over the years being rectangular aluminum housings with a glass display surface.

A design philosophy would speak to newly developed products such as when AirPods, HomePod, and Watch were released. And the upcoming Mac Pro and Prod Display XDR.

Count Blah

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2004
US of A
I actually prefer Jong ive thinnest Design, still think that is the best user experience. I am feeling sad
I don’t think anyone is saying there should NOT be a super thin design. The primary issue has always been prioritizing thinness over functionality. Ive’s thin design has compromised the functionality of the MacBook pros, due to smaller batteries, removal of MagSafe, removal of vital ports(not all would agree), introduction of easily compromised butterfly keyboards, added expense of the foolbar, etc...

Having a super think MacBook Air or MacBook? Certainly, but Don’t sacrifice functionality.

OR!!!! How about offer two styles of MBP? One super thin for people like you and one that prioritizes functionality for the Pro-Pro types. I know Timmy would hate this because ‘supply chain’, but I think both sides would mostly be satisfied.

tevion5

macrumors 68000
Jul 12, 2011
Ireland
I'd like to see that Steve Ballmer gif shouting "developers, developers, developers..." redone with Tim Cook shouting "shareholders, shareholders, shareholders, "

Yeah Apple have been dropping the ball on the basics over the last 4/5 years in particular.

However the recent releases of the iMac Pro, Mac Mini, 16" MBP and 2019 Mac Pro indicate a very positive change in focus/direction I hope will continue.

progx

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2003
Pennsylvania
I really believe the man on the right will return at some point.

I hope not. Scott almost killed iOS with his ideas of “green felt” and “digital leather”. He didn’t care about function, but form and appearance. They completely revamped iOS after they pushed him out, then they hit iPhone and iPad fever pitch. I shutter to think how badly Apple products would function if Forstall was running the show.

Much like Nintendo is doing with the next generation, it’s time to move on and find new ideas. Miyamoto handed off Mario reigns to Motokura, Odyssey has been the best Mario game since 64. We’ll see some younger people come up, there’s no point in going back.

• Love
Reactions: decafjava
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.