Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pakaku

macrumors 68040
Aug 29, 2009
My take: he was great at physical design of objects. Not so great at interface design, which he eventually got involved in. As crucial as his designs were to Apple’s revival, he became less crucial over time. Still, I’ll miss hearing “aluminium”.
Part of why OSX and iOS were great was how the appearance of the software/OS was designed to go with the look of the hardware, something which I assume Jony understood and may have been part of why he got more involved with software

Reactions: picaman and heretiq

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
I think the 11 Pro Max was not designed by him which explains how it’s heavier with a beefy battery and that ugly lens on the behind. Function over form and I am glad he is gone and sane voices can be heard.
The pro max is clearly derivative of the iPhone X, which Ive had a role in designing. Slight thickness changes is hardly a new design.

Chytin

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2013
Weird how finance is the thing you think jobs should be remember for. Not innovation, success new products. Ground breaking technologies...

Do you like my new iphone ? It's ok, but I like AAPL share price better?

No, it doesn't work like that. Make great products that people love and enjoy using them and the money comes automatically. Steve was always talking about products, almost never about marketshare.

Nuno Lopes

macrumors 65816
Sep 6, 2011
Lisbon, Portugal
That Picture says it all. I have the conviction that the core, the raw materials of Apple huge, more than huge, iconic success were the way they products were designed. In that Picture are the member of the CORE design team that lead that made the basis of TC huge success.

It has now became legacy. Who are the members of the design team now? You see, if Apple values still remain and not became legacy /history, I'm sure we would be seeing an emerging force backed up by Mr Tim Cook, right?

I don't see that happening.

What I do see is the competition, such has from Samsung, coming up with bolder designs both in the smartphone and tablet space. I see Apple device prices going up (pumping) while software is becoming buggier than ever. Furthermore, every move seams to be trailing everyone else's move.

Meanwhile the top management team seams to be more interested in Policy, Supply Chain and Pricing (TC words) than anything else. While the tech vision seams to be simply inline with what everyone else knows. No positive surprises, apart from rolling back changes made to the MacBook keyboard. iPad OS its just potential, at the moment its mostly iOS, very few differences is any.

Anyway, will see Apple metamorphosis into.

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010
Dropping the next beta would have been a better way to say Happy Thanksgiving to customers but sprucing up the website works too.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
Always thought it was funny that all the time He was trying to Make Apple products thinner.
Too thin, many many people are now agreeing.
He himself was getting fatter and fatter.

Be interesting to see if now Apple products are getting a little fatter he starts to get thinner! ;)

Stevie jobz 2.0

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2019
No, it doesn't work like that. Make great products that people love and enjoy using them and the money comes automatically. Steve was always talking about products, almost never about marketshare.

What doesn't work like that, read my post and the comments I was replying to again, to discover your comments make zero sense...
[automerge]1574972479[/automerge]
The iPhone 4 was his best work. Period.
This is your factually most inaccurate post ever!! Period!!

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Well he designed a lot of beautiful products, but if he continued we wouldn't have this thicker, more thermally efficient 16" MacBook Pro.

decafjava

macrumors 603
Feb 7, 2011
Geneva
What I do see is the competition, such has from Samsung, coming up with bolder designs both in the smartphone and tablet space. I see Apple device prices going up (pumping) while software is becoming buggier than ever. Furthermore, every move seams to be trailing everyone else's move.
Tablets? What bold designs? The iPad dominates the tablet space period, perhaps the Surface is the only competitor but that is somewhat of a hybrid. Android tablets have failed.

Reactions: chabig

Millah

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2008
Jobs was the balance that Ive needed. Often Steve had to reel him back in, but ever since Steve passed away, Johnny Ive got too powerful at apple. His words got too much weight. Its good now that he's gone and hopefully balance and rational thinking is restored at apple.

Ive did great work BEFORE Steve even returned to Apple. The basic design of the iMac was in the design studio before Jobs returned, and that was arguably the most important product Apple released. Apple desperately needed a fresh new hit, and Jobs found it in Jonys design studio waiting to be realized. Without it there would not have been an iPhone.

I think what really happened is Jony became severely impacted by the loss of his best friend. How would you like to go into work every day, reminded of your best friend who died tragically? I think that had a huge impact on his inspiration and ambition to continue working at Apple, having all of the product responsibilities resting on your shoulders. It obviously took a huge toll on him emotionally. I kind of feel like he finished Apple Park just to finish what Steve started, and then that was it for him.

heretiq

Contributor
Jan 31, 2014
Denver, CO
Wow the way people are talking here you wold think the iphone11 and MBP 16" were flops or something.....

I’m with you. The level of ignorance and arrogance is stunning. I cannot comprehend the degree of blindness that would embolden people who’ve never created anything meaningful to shamelessly criticize and demean people who’ve spent decades delivering wave after wave of innovation that has literally changed the world.
[automerge]1574978605[/automerge]
Ive did great work BEFORE Steve even returned to Apple. The basic design of the iMac was in the design studio before Jobs returned, and that was arguably the most important product Apple released. Apple desperately needed a fresh new hit, and Jobs found it in Jonys design studio waiting to be realized. Without it there would not have been an iPhone.

I think what really happened is Jony became severely impacted by the loss of his best friend. How would you like to go into work every day, reminded of your best friend who died tragically? I think that had a huge impact on his inspiration and ambition to continue working at Apple, having all of the product responsibilities resting on your shoulders. It obviously took a huge toll on him emotionally. I kind of feel like he finished Apple Park just to finish what Steve started, and then that was it for him.
Perfectly said. Thank you ??
[automerge]1574979054[/automerge]
Well he designed a lot of beautiful products, but if he continued we wouldn't have this thicker, more thermally efficient 16" MacBook Pro.
Innovation comes from the tension between what is desirable and what is possible. Ive’s industrial designs set the bar and challenged the hardware designers to step up their game. Absent Ive’s aggressive designs we would all be lugging around 2 inch thick laptops and 1 inch thick smartphones — and probably nothing as elegant as the new 16 inch MacBook Pro. Thank goodness for Jony ??

Last edited:
Reactions: decafjava

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
The thicker, more thermally efficient 16" MacBook Pro that was almost certainly developed on his watch over the last 18+ months?

Reactions: heretiq

Feyl

Cancelled
Aug 24, 2013
I hope not. Scott almost killed iOS with his ideas of “green felt” and “digital leather”. He didn’t care about function, but form and appearance. They completely revamped iOS after they pushed him out, then they hit iPhone and iPad fever pitch. I shutter to think how badly Apple products would function if Forstall was running the show.
You can’t be serious about this. Don’t you know how bad iOS is since iOS 7? That was a prime example of form over function and that form wasn’t too good.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.