Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

retta283

Suspended
Jun 8, 2018
I've been around for quite a while, but I haven't stayed on top of the Apple shakers. I'm not crazy about the new MacPro pricing, and my MacBook/MacBook Pro were duds. Aside from the iPhone, not much else impresses me. Sure, I still buy the AppleWatch/Home & Air Pods; but the distinction that Apple once had is fading.
Highly agree with this. The so-called Apple Magic is gone for me. I still prefer iOS to Android, and I am still a macOS user, but I am not an Apple fanboy. I used to be so excited to buy a new iMac or iPod, but now buying new Apple hardware is something I do while carrying a bit of regret.

UK-MacAddict

macrumors 65816
May 11, 2010
My take: he was great at physical design of objects. Not so great at interface design, which he eventually got involved in. As crucial as his designs were to Apple’s revival, he became less crucial over time. Still, I’ll miss hearing “aluminium”.

Apple need to make sure they replace him properly. If they start making ugly products then nobody is going to buy them. I got into Apple for its product designs. A lot of Apples appeal is the design of the products rather than the software they run.

When I got into Mac they were major underdogs just coming back from near bankruptcy. A lot of mainstream software wasn't compatible with it but it looked nice so I persevered.

I may be in the minority but I would usually go for form over function, thats just me lol. I have to love the look and feel of a product. If it looks ugly, even if its the best performing device in the world I still wouldn't buy it. I went through many phones in the pre smartphone era that I bought purely for looks but were terrible to use or had batteries that didn't last 6hrs. I just used them less to balance out the poor battery lol.

All in all how Apple products are designed and look are still very crucial for the future health of the company.

Reactions: picaman

bluespark

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2009
Chicago
Apple now badly needs a visionary design chief. I hope Tim understands the urgency and importance of finding that person.

sakurarain

macrumors 6502
Jul 26, 2018
Shanghai
A new company will be silently born in Bay Area, Jony, Tony and Scott will walk onto the stage...... and the other Apple veterans.....

MacBH928

macrumors G3
May 17, 2008
One must respect Ive for turning the beige boxes and tech devices into fashionable beautiful designs, his design turned into industry standards that other multi-billion corporations copy. Sure, maybe Jobs gave him the direction and the vision... but he made it a reality.

Ive created the modern Apple just as much as Jobs did.
[automerge]1574991475[/automerge]
A new company will be silently born in Bay Area, Jony, Tony and Scott will walk onto the stage...... and the other Apple veterans.....

And Wozniak will be the iCEO

Reactions: macintoshmac

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
The end of the era, just like when Jobs gone. Apple will move on though. They always did.

jonblatho

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2014
Oklahoma
Who is he?
Irrelevant. (Scott Forstall, Apple’s highly toxic SVP who headed up iOS software engineering, was the head to roll after Apple Maps flopped initially in 2012 and he refused to sign an apology letter, and has since only managed to find work producing a Broadway show and as an “advisor” to Snap, which says a lot about how badly other companies want him.)

Naraxus

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2016
Part of why OSX and iOS were great was how the appearance of the software/OS was designed to go with the look of the hardware, something which I assume Jony understood and may have been part of why he got more involved with software
Ive didn't understand jack **** about MacOSX & iOS.

How do we know? iOS 7 & Mavericks.

Naraxus

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2016
Irrelevant. (Scott Forstall, Apple’s highly toxic SVP who headed up iOS software engineering, was the head to roll after Apple Maps flopped initially in 2012 and he refused to sign an apology letter, and has since only managed to find work producing a Broadway show and as an “advisor” to Snap, which says a lot about how badly other companies want him.)
8ACA09FC-B547-41BF-BCE9-4A5038CB2675.jpeg

Reactions: heffsf and PC_tech

jonblatho

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2014
Oklahoma
Any reporting (or better yet, evidence) to the contrary of any of what I said? Since I see a lot of tech companies freaking rolling in cash, enough to pay Forstall whatever he wants to poach him from Apple, doing whatever he wants, and yet no one’s managed to do it.

Probably because no one wants him working there day to day.

PC_tech

Suspended
Jan 17, 2019
Any reporting (or better yet, evidence) to the contrary of any of what I said? Since I see a lot of tech companies freaking rolling in cash, enough to pay Forstall whatever he wants to poach him from Apple, doing whatever he wants, and yet no one’s managed to do it.

Where's your evidence? Oh right....

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Good riddance Johnny, thank you for making everything lighter and removing ports from our Macs.

An ironic condemnation. While Apple may have screwed the pooch on the Mac, it is but a tiny fraction of Apple’s profits. Meanwhile, the Apple Watch and AirPods have been so well received and clearly represent the future of Apple, yet no recognition of Jony Ive’s contributions here have been forthcoming.

I think time will tell that thinner and lighter is indeed the way to go with wearables.

Naraxus

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2016

Ever consider the possibility of doing what Scott did at his level to be a high-pressure, high-stress job and that he wants to take some time off or do something different?

katewes

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2007
Great relief to see Ive go.

For a few decades I used to be a Mac evangelist years ago, persuading my family and so my friends to switch to Apple. but I’ve soured against Apple in the recent years.

The exalting of thinness over important features that many users need have had me teetering on the verge of moving to Windows at my next purchase.

Under Ive’s supervision, I resent the following:

iMac loses user-upgradeable Hard Drives and SSD
MBP and MBAir loses user-upgradeable Hard Drives and SSD
MBP and MBAir loses user-upgradeable memory
MBP, iMac loses anti-glare screen
MBP loses ports, all in the aim of thinness, lumbering us with dongles.
MBP and MBA given awful butterfly keyboard, all in the aim of thinness.
MBP, MBA lose magsafe, all in the aim of thinness.

I feel the new MacBook Pro 16 is a step in the right direction, except for the soldered RAM and SSD. It’s the first Apple MacBook Pro I’ll aim to buy since 2012.

I also hope Apple can ditch the 1 year macOS cycle.

p/s I imagine the re-sale value of 2nd hand MacBook Pro's with the butterfly keyboard won't be as good as usual Apple re-sale prices. I personally made notes of which years of MBP's had the awful butterfly keyboard, so avoid buying any of those on eBay.

Reactions: dysamoria

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
Product visionaries all but gone from Apple.

View attachment 879653
Sure, they’re so visionary that we got crap Apple Maps and Butterfly keyboards.

So much for visionaries.
[automerge]1575002912[/automerge]
I wonder what year the post Ive designs will start to emerge?
Thicker iPhones with best battery life ever, and 16” MacBook Pro with better thermal and working keyboard.

Seems like it’s a bright future for Apple post Ive

Reactions: Ghost31

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Thicker iPhones with best battery life ever, and 16” MacBook Pro with better thermal and working keyboard.

Seems like it’s a bright future for Apple post Ive

Doesn’t sound like a very visionary one though.

And maybe Apple is fine with that too if it means people continue to buy their products.

Ghost31

macrumors 68040
Jun 9, 2015
If him leaving is the reason we are getting thicker devices with better battery life and better keyboards, then Im more than ok with his departure

Reactions: dysamoria
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.