Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

starcrossed

macrumors regular
May 3, 2003
San Antonio,TX
Well, today I finally recieved my MouseBT the white version. I been debating on the colors to match my Powerbook but the white isn't too bad. This is my first ever bluetooth or wireless mouse so I had been anxious to get my hands on it.

Pros: Right click, and scroll wheel+click, obviously a nice touch. I really look the smooth scroll wheel, to me it feels much better than the tactile of other mouse including the MX700 that I previously used. The look of the mouse is just like Apple's mouse which is one of the main reasons I bought, I just which I could open up the baby and place a little Apple logo over the white case. :cool:

Cons: I don't quite like how the red laser shines through the white mouse in the shape of an "I" or "T". Its cools how it shines through the scroll wheel, but I felt they could over put a little cover to keep it from going the the white at all. Sometimes the mouse kicks in from sleep with a little move, or how MacMice states with a simple click, but there are times it is rather troublesome to wake it up. I have noticed a little jumpiness at times, but nothing that has bothered me that much. I also think the bottom of the mouse looks like its from a cheap $9.99 mouse, and I don't like how the the front of the mouse's plastic shell can be pulled upwards, but I don't know if this was done by mistake or it thats how the mouse needed to be for the two clicks.

All in all I made sure to download the latest bluetooth firmware, since this my first time using a bluetooth device with my Powerbook, to make sure it would go as well as possible. I think the mouse definitly deserves a rating of 4 out 5. I think it was a well made purchase and so far in these past few hours I've been generally pleased with it. Hopefully I can soon figure if the little problems I have with the mouse are MacMice's fault, Apple's fault, or that's just the way Bluetooth technology is. But its nice to now have no wires connected to my Powerbook, only Firewire and USB when needed.:cool:

Also to understand my opinion more I have gone from the Apple USB mouse, to the Logitech MX700 USB, to this mouse, and I'll probably put the other two on the shelf at least for the time being.

Attachments

• theMouseBT.jpg
    theMouseBT.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 248
  • theMouseBTlight.jpg
    theMouseBTlight.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 241

starcrossed

macrumors regular
May 3, 2003
San Antonio,TX
TheCubedXbox said:
I'm glad to see some first hand reviews on this mouse, I've been thinking about getting one. I want to know before I buy ANY optical mouse though if it will work on a wood desk with a glass plate top. You can see the wood through the glass, it's just there for looks but I didn't know if that would screw up the optical sensors. Thanks in advance!

I have a glass top desk, but I couldn't get the mouse's optical sensors to pick it up as a surface, so I went back to the mouse pad.

mizzman36

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2003
Canberra, Australia
In regards to the issue of the mouse being to easy to accidently click both buttons, I had a similar problem on my non-BT MacMice. Mine was so bad I took it back to the shop that I bought it. I tried some other MacMice they had in display, and they did not suffer the same issue.

So the first thing I would say is that there seems to be a quality control issue with these mice, and seceondly, if you have this problem, send it back and request another.

aswitcher

macrumors 603
Oct 8, 2003
Canberra OZ
starcrossed said:
I have a glass top desk, but I couldn't get the mouse's optical sensors to pick it up as a surface, so I went back to the mouse pad.

I think someone said the new "LAZER" mouse works on glass...?

Whigga Spitta

macrumors 6502
Apr 21, 2004
Can you say Chi-City??
so maybe the clicking problem i had with The Mouse was a quality control issue--either way, I'm happy with the MX900 because it's mapped to expose. i'm kinda gettin jealous of MX1000 owners now...

starcrossed

macrumors regular
May 3, 2003
San Antonio,TX
superbovine said:
how is the weight of the mouse. i don't like mice that feel to light.

The weight of TheMouseBT is really nice. Its not as light as the USB Apple Pro Mouse, but still not that heavy. I say close to perfect size.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Well the description of the Mouse BT so far is that it feels cheap, it's easy to press both buttons at the same time, and it wakes from sleep very slowly.

Doesn't sound like a great mouse to me, but I may still test it out once it comes out in Oz.....probably in 3 years or something. *sigh* :(

r6girl

Administrator/Project Manager
Original poster
Staff member
Sep 6, 2003
New England
Abstract said:
Well the description of the Mouse BT so far is that it feels cheap, it's easy to press both buttons at the same time, and it wakes from sleep very slowly.

Doesn't sound like a great mouse to me, but I may still test it out once it comes out in Oz.....probably in 3 years or something. *sigh* :(

yes, it feel cheaper than i had expected (for the price i paid), it can be easy to press both buttons but it can be avoided if you're careful, and it does wake from sleep slowly most of the time. i don't think it's a terrible mouse, it's just not everything i had thought it would be (particulary based on the reviews prior to it's official release) and i'm disappointed i paid that much for it. i think it would be a good mouse for, say, half the price. so, buy one used from ebay! :)

marianne

micvog

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2003
quidire said:
Any non-WiFi presence in the 2.4 gHz range and a BT mouse will have the lag that annoys you so much.

Thanks quidire! I had an Apple BT mouse sitting in my closet that I didn't use because of the lack of precision. I had since replaced my 2.4GHz phones with 5.8GHz to get better Airport reception, but never realized that it affected BT as well. I pulled the mouse out last night and it is MUCH better. :D

Now if it only had a scroll wheel and second mouse button...

wPod

macrumors 68000
Aug 19, 2003
Denver, CO
Abstract said:

yes, but you forgot to mention the good things about it! it works well once it has woken up! its cool b/c there are no cables to hook up, so it is just as portable and easy to use as any powerbook with built in bluetooth. right now the coolness/usability outweighs the couple things you mentioned. at least for me :)

KevRC4130

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2004
Massachusetts
I still can't decide if I want this mouse. It seems like in reviews about anything, people point out the bad stuff and not so much the good stuff.... Has anyone else got one of these mice since this was posted? I know theres been a couple people but I remember seeing many people say that they preordered, you people need to tell us what you think!

BrianKonarsMac

macrumors 65816
Apr 28, 2004
TheCubedXbox said:
I'm glad to see some first hand reviews on this mouse, I've been thinking about getting one. I want to know before I buy ANY optical mouse though if it will work on a wood desk with a glass plate top. You can see the wood through the glass, it's just there for looks but I didn't know if that would screw up the optical sensors. Thanks in advance!
not happening buddy, the MX1000 is what you want. Optical relies on reflection (i.e. no good through glass, no matter what is beneath it), the Laser doesn't, and works on any surface, even with material (such as a couch pillow...then again my Logitech Optical works on the couch pillow too, but on a glass surface it bounces all over the place, and their is wood underneath the glass as well).

starcrossed

macrumors regular
May 3, 2003
San Antonio,TX
nels0360 said:
I pre-ordered mine, so I don't know what the heck is taking so long. I'll post with my experience when I get it.

Wow, something must be wrong on your order. I didn't place my order until Friday Oct. 1st the day they announced it shipping, and with 2day shipping I recieved on Wednesday the 6th.

I know many are posting bad comments about the mouse, but after a few days of using the mouse, I actually do still love it. I have not once experienced the problem of accidently clicking both buttons at the same time. I was having the problem of the mouse not responding to movement and jumping, but I realized now that it's the mouse pad the optical sensor doesn't like, because when I use the mouse on the empty space on my Powerbook, it responds so well to that surface, very close to perfect. So the only drawback so far is now I have to find a perfect mouse pad that it will like. But overall its so nice to have one less wire coming out the Powerbook. The MX1000 does look like a nice mouse, but its the idea of having the USB reciever/cradle to lug around with the Powerbook, which in a way diminishes the idea of a wireless mouse. If I were to use it on a desktop computer it wouldn't be too bad, but not with my Powerbook.

DrEwe

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2004
Seattle
I have had my AL BT MacMouse for a week now and like it a lot. This is my first BT mouse, so my comparison is an MS Intellimouse. I use it on a polished wood desk and a cream formica work station, and have experienced no jumping or tracking issues. It seems to wake up quickly from sleep.

It has a nice "heft" to it - not too light and not too heavy. I agree that the lack of shell attachement at the front is a bit disconcerting if you really pick it up and play with it, but in general use I do not notice it. I have thrown it in my briefcase every day since I got it and it has suffered no harm!

I have not had the issue of clicking both sides at once, but I have never used a single button mouse and wonder is those who have are more prone to this problem. The scroll wheel is fine - I dont miss the clicks.

It looks great as well, and is causing Mac envy at work, which is a bonus. :)

Jalexster

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2004
Logitech says that the MX1000 dosen't work on glass or relfective surfaces. I'm pretty sure a review said it does though.

I personally have an MX700. Logitech's Fast RF technology is a lot better than Bluetooth. There is no lag, or prescison problems.

Generally, the MX mice go like this:

Worst to Best:

MX900 (Bluetooth)
MX300 (Wired)
MX500 (Wired)
MX700 (Wireless)
MX310 (Wired)
MX510 (Wired)
MX1000 (Wireless)

Yes, in a comparison between the MX1000 and the MX510, the MX1000 was more acurate, even though it is wireless, and the MX510 is wired.

ferrisb

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2003
Riverton, Utah
You may want to try downloading their MouseCommand drivers.

I don't have the BT Mouse yet, just the original one, and I was having issues with the cursor jumping around too. Once I installed their software for the mouse, things started working a lot better.

nels0360

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2004
Colorado
I received my MacMice Bluetooth Mouse (aluminum) yesterday. I ordered it on September 30 with Priority Mail shipping. Oddly, it didn’t ship until October 8 and I received it on October 12. The total for the mouse and shipping was approximately $78.50 which is expensive for a mouse, but I don’t have a problem paying it if it works properly.

It arrived in a nice black box that included two AA batteries, much like the Apple Wireless mouse packaging.

Other reviewers have mentioned problems with the cursor jumping, but I haven’t experienced that problem and the tracking has been very smooth.

The scroll wheel has a soft rubbery feel to it and it lights up red due to the optics of the mouse. I like that the scroll wheel is a smooth action wheel, so there are no clicks or stopping points when you are scrolling. However, this does create a problem. I click the scroll wheel to open up links in new tabs using Safari. This is difficult, but not impossible, to do because the scroll wheel tends to roll when you try click it. As far as the right and left buttons go, I haven’t had any problems with them. They have been very responsive.

I have had both the Apple Wireless mouse and the Logitech MX900. The MacMice BT mouse works better for me than either of them. However, if you want to map buttons to Expose, get the Logitech MX 900 since it is easy to do with that mouse.

Feel free to post any questions that you may have.

r6girl

Administrator/Project Manager
Original poster
Staff member
Sep 6, 2003
New England
nels0360 said:
Other reviewers have mentioned problems with the cursor jumping, but I haven’t experienced that problem and the tracking has been very smooth.

I click the scroll wheel to open up links in new tabs using Safari.

you're lucky you don't get the cursor jumping! i am jealous. i'm still trying to understand why this happens with mine...

how do you map the scroll wheel button to open up links in new tabs? i'm sure there's some piece of software out there i'm missing - what do you use? any information would be greatly appreciated!

thanks,
marianne

nels0360

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2004
Colorado
macLC40 said:
you're lucky you don't get the cursor jumping! i am jealous. i'm still trying to understand why this happens with mine...

how do you map the scroll wheel button to open up links in new tabs? i'm sure there's some piece of software out there i'm missing - what do you use? any information would be greatly appreciated!

thanks,
marianne

I didn't have to map the middle button in Safari. I have version 1.2.3 of Safari and when I middle click it opens it up in a new tab behind the current one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.