Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KevRC4130

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2004
Massachusetts
I have read that simply restarting your computer should help the responsiveness of the Mouse, it probably needs to have the computer shut off and reboot to be fully installed or something.

zagato27

macrumors 68000
Aug 10, 2003
The Hill
Anybody try the RadTech BT? Seems a bit small for a desktop application but might be just right for a PB. I'd like to get a BT for my G5 but haven't found thr right one yet. A Logitech BT would be nice with full OS X compatibility. Still waiting. :( Cheers

crazy norwegian

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2004
zagato27 said:
Anybody try the RadTech BT? Seems a bit small for a desktop application but might be just right for a PB. I'd like to get a BT for my G5 but haven't found thr right one yet. A Logitech BT would be nice with full OS X compatibility. Still waiting. :( Cheers

I just got my radtech BT500. First time using a BT mouse. It was a lot smaller than I thought it would be but I am used to it now and is much easier to carry in the bag. It tracks well with precision and is smooth (no jumping). I like it a lot so far.

One thing is a little disconcerting though: a few times it has gotten confused - the left mouse button "goes away" = no work and the right mouse button does what the left mouse button used to do! I find that all I need to do is turn it off and back on and it starts working just fine. I have used it for about 20 hours so far over several days and this has happened twice. I will say I am using it in a WI-FI environment (work) but I wouldn't think that had anything to do with it - would it?

Anyway, I like it, good heft for the size and works on a smooth white formica surface very well. It also works on the mega real-estate on my 17" powerbook to the right of the hated evil track pad.

crazy n

Threnody

macrumors member
Apr 22, 2004
Ottawa
I got my The Mouse BT (white) a couple of days ago, but I don't seem to be having the problems everyone else is. I ran the Bluetooth Updater before I paired it, and everything has been fine. No jumping or anything, and the range stretches two rooms away.

One thing I wasn't prepared for was how much force is required to push the buttons. It's definitely more than I needed for my old basic Logitech optical mouse, but I'm getting used to it. Also, the scroll wheel seems to have "rough spots", ie it turns very loosely but then it snags up a bit or something. However, as I use it more it seems to be getting a little better.

DrEwe

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2004
Seattle
It has been a few weeks now, and I am very happy with my mouse. The main determinate of good performance seems to be the surface on which I use it - the more reflective the surface the more it jumps. Wake up etc is at my expectation level - ie quick

kbonnel

macrumors 6502
Mar 1, 2004
In a nice place..
DrEwe said:
It has been a few weeks now, and I am very happy with my mouse. The main determinate of good performance seems to be the surface on which I use it - the more reflective the surface the more it jumps. Wake up etc is at my expectation level - ie quick

I have been using my macmouse now for five days, and here are my thoughts. 1. I agree, the mouse will work great if you find the right mouse pad to use. I tried three different pads until I found one that didn't cause the pointer to jump around. The optical light seems to be very sensative. 2. For the price, I had hoped that build quality would be on par with Apples. I hate how the front buttons of the mouse aren't "connected" to the base. I have the habit of picking up the mouse a little to move it around, and it feels like the buttons are going to be pulled out. 3. I can't seem to find out how to perfectly wake it up. Sometimes it will wake up within a couple of seconds, and sometimes I have to really work at waking it up. :( 4. Finally, I go back to the build quality. Does anybody else hear something moving around when moving the mouse around? (fliping it back and forth). It is very weird. 5. I really like the size. It is, in my opinion, the right size and weight. As I said in the previous item, I like to move the mouse around, and other BT mice (other than the BT500) are huge and heavy.

Kimo

goodwill

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2004
Dallas
I have the white bt mouse and I have to say I am pleasantly pleased. I however am having a hard time understanding the price and the quality of this thing. Like other statements regarding build quality, I see this as something that cost $2.50 to make and they are selling for 69.99 plus shipping. The design is nearly flawless and aesthetically pleasing, but the dollar signs in my head keep flashing up. I think for the price a nice logitech bt mouse at somepoint would clearly outshine this. The advantage is it is a two button apple mouse clone essentially. I have had trouble like earlier stated with the positioning of the "two" buttons. I have noticed where you click on the mouse is important as to it being a "strong" click. Wake up time has been a 6.6 out of 10 and as far as surface etc, I just use it on my wooden coffee table without a blip. The sensor hasnt skipped or jumped around. Overall I would give it a 7.4 out of 10.

Threnody

macrumors member
Apr 22, 2004
Ottawa
kbonnel said:
Does anybody else hear something moving around when moving the mouse around?
Yes! I definitely hear something moving around in there! Is anyone else experiencing "rough spots" with the scroll wheel?

Adam

kbonnel

macrumors 6502
Mar 1, 2004
In a nice place..
Threnody said:
Yes! I definitely hear something moving around in there! Is anyone else experiencing "rough spots" with the scroll wheel?

Adam

So far I don't notice a problem with the wheel, that seems to be fine. I have noticed that using the mouse is having an interesting effect on my wifi. For instance, sometimes I can hear a high pitched noise that my system makes when using wifi. When I use my mouse, specifically when I use the wheel the noise goes away. Very strange..

Kimo

kbonnel

macrumors 6502
Mar 1, 2004
In a nice place..
Update:

Just thought I would give an update on my BT mouse. It seems my mouse has developed some weird issues. First, it sometimes will not wake up from sleep. I usually have to turn it off, then on, and it works. Lately, when I stop using my mouse, for a couple of seconds, I lose my bluetooth connection. The light is still on in the mouse but no movement. If I turn the mouse off then on it works again.

I changed out the batteries (hoping that is the problem). The original batteries were in there for maybe a total of 1 and a half weeks of work.

Kimo

nels0360

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2004
Colorado
kbonnel said:
Update:

Just thought I would give an update on my BT mouse. It seems my mouse has developed some weird issues. First, it sometimes will not wake up from sleep. I usually have to turn it off, then on, and it works. Lately, when I stop using my mouse, for a couple of seconds, I lose my bluetooth connection. The light is still on in the mouse but no movement. If I turn the mouse off then on it works again.

I changed out the batteries (hoping that is the problem). The original batteries were in there for maybe a total of 1 and a half weeks of work.

Kimo

I was experiencing some problems as you were. I replaced my batteries and all was well again.

The cursor was becoming very jumpy before the batteries went.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
goodwill said:
Like other statements regarding build quality, I see this as something that cost $2.50 to make and they are selling for 69.99 plus shipping.

$2.50, huh? Have you ever done a tooling amortization calculation? :rolleyes: It probably costs a lot more than that (also for the BT x-mitter), just by virtue of being low volume. And you do kinda realize you're paying a lot of money for the matching looks to your apple gear, right?

Hmmm...but anyway this is tempting....I don't use my Apple BT mouse because of getting used to being able to option click or corner tap my touchpad for Safari tabs....although it is fun to use a wireless mouse on the surface of the sofa and have it track reasonably well. :D

kbonnel

macrumors 6502
Mar 1, 2004
In a nice place..
nels0360 said:
I was experiencing some problems as you were. I replaced my batteries and all was well again.

The cursor was becoming very jumpy before the batteries went.

Once I replaced the batteries, it started working great again. I guess the battery life isn't as good as I hoped.

Kimo

gekko513

macrumors 603
Oct 16, 2003
Isn't it frustrating that Apple, who would be able to engineer a 2 button scroll wheel mouse properly, refuses to make it.

I want an Apple BT mouse with a scroll wheel :(

I do, however, think I understand Apple's motivation for keeping the 1 button design. I've noticed that older people (mostly 40+) who are not used to computers often press the wrong button and some even let go of the mouse, look at it and then press the left button with great seremony. These people would be better off with a one button mouse.

Then there's the effect on user interfaces. When there are more buttons available, developers are tempted to use the different buttons for different actions, which more times than not lead to unintuitive UI design. I'm not sure if having to use control keys on the keyboard is better, but I think the idea is that developers are encouraged to not include more than one function to one graphical element which in theory makes an easier UI to learn.

kbonnel

macrumors 6502
Mar 1, 2004
In a nice place..
Well, I have moved back to my BT500 mouse, and emailed MacMouse about my issues. Two days after I replaced my batteries, I started having really bad cursor lag/jitter. I also started noticing the long wake up times :(

It has to be the mouse, as I can switch between my BT500 at the sametime as my Mouse BT without any problems.

I am bummed about this, but oh well.

Kimo

mfacey

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2004
Netherlands
gekko513 said:
Isn't it frustrating that Apple, who would be able to engineer a 2 button scroll wheel mouse properly, refuses to make it.

I want an Apple BT mouse with a scroll wheel :(

I do, however, think I understand Apple's motivation for keeping the 1 button design. I've noticed that older people (mostly 40+) who are not used to computers often press the wrong button and some even let go of the mouse, look at it and then press the left button with great seremony. These people would be better off with a one button mouse.

Then there's the effect on user interfaces. When there are more buttons available, developers are tempted to use the different buttons for different actions, which more times than not lead to unintuitive UI design. I'm not sure if having to use control keys on the keyboard is better, but I think the idea is that developers are encouraged to not include more than one function to one graphical element which in theory makes an easier UI to learn.

I don't care about people over the age of 40 who would have problems with 2 buttons. 97% of all computer users have a 2 button mouse as they are using windows. I can agree that a 1001 button mouse like those logitech things is excessive. I even lose track of what does what on those things. Besides, Apple needs to think about the future which is everybody who grew up in the internet age (so basically in the last 25 - 30 years) I'd say this is by far the largest group of "power users" at the moment.

I think if apple makes a simple 2 button + scroll wheel, plus maybe one or two user programmable buttons, they'd have a winner.
I'd bet Apple will do it sometime. I hope its sooner rather than later.

Was thinking about getting a Macmice BT btw. This thread made me change my mind. Thanks for the heads up guys!

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
gekko513 said:
I've noticed that older people (mostly 40+) who are not used to computers often press the wrong button and some even let go of the mouse, look at it and then press the left button with great seremony.

Hahahaha!!!

What are you, 12 years old or so? :D Personal computers have been around a tad bit longer than you seem to be aware, and it wasn't the kiddies of the late 70s and early 80s that were buying them.

I am 44, and occasionally I can pull my wits together enough to vaguely recall my college job writing software on one of the first personal computers that was widely available - Radio Shack's TRS-80. And you know what? We had a secretary who was over 60, and she was the one entering the data using the software I wrote.

Now if you'll excuse me, it's time for my nap.

mfacey

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2004
Netherlands
Fair enough, there are quite a few 40+ people that are competent as far as using computers goes. But the vast majority of people in that age group is completely useless at using computers.
I think that's what he's getting at.

JJMorgan123

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2004
got mine to work

i downloaded the firmware upgrader from apple, installed and used it. i also downloaded the bluetooth driver upgrade from apple. then after re-connecting the mouse i restarted my 15' PB and it works fine now!

kbonnel

macrumors 6502
Mar 1, 2004
In a nice place..
JJMorgan123 said:
i downloaded the firmware upgrader from apple, installed and used it. i also downloaded the bluetooth driver upgrade from apple. then after re-connecting the mouse i restarted my 15' PB and it works fine now!

Yea, I hoped that would have fixed my issues, but I was already at the latest :(

Kimo

efoto

macrumors 68030
Nov 16, 2004
Cloud 9 (-6)
mfacey said:
Fair enough, there are quite a few 40+ people that are competent as far as using computers goes. But the vast majority of people in that age group is completely useless at using computers.
I think that's what he's getting at.

I think that 40 is a low number to start with for computer compitency. I would say that in today's current society, 55-60 is where there starts to be a disconnect of computer proficiency IMO. My father is not what I would call *good* at using his computer, but he knows how to do the basics (surfing, email, word excel etc, even games :p...although they are golf games, imagine that). He still pecks at the keys!!! I cannot even imagine that, but I recall being taught how to type back in middle school, with those crazy little horse-blinders (does anyone else know what I mean here) that prevented you from looking at your keys while you typed. Times are always changing, and the future generations are basically born into silicon to say the least. What kid (say 12-25) does not know how to use a cellphone? almost any computer?
Anyway, a little semi-vent I guess, although I fit in my own *kid* age category I made above, so what am I rantin about :) ?

MacWhispers

macrumors member
Feb 3, 2003
Why post inaccuracies about our product?

iMeowbot said:
Problems aren't too surprising. Macmice's manufacturing parter, A4 Tech, don't have Bluetooth certification (if they did, they'd be trumpeting it and they aren't).

[Half expecting Jack to jump in here, I'll just say up front that oh yes they are A4 mice. It's A4's patented scroll wheel, and the corded version uses A4's copyrighted device drivers.]

1. Our The Mouse BT is a 100% in-house design, built under contract for us by a Taiwan partner. We have never had dealings with, nor have we ever had any contact whatsoever with this A4 Tech company you mention. I didn't even know they existed until I visited the link you posted.

2. We are proud that The Mouse BT is only 1 of 15 Bluetooth SIG certified products in the keyboard and mouse category: http://www.bluetooth.com/products/prods.details.asp?CPID=1402&CAT=13

3. The scroll wheel encoder in our mouse is our own design, and is not covered by any company's patent. It is a unique component only used in our products.

4. The free OS 9 and OS X drivers we offer for our The Mouse USB versions were developed specifically for our mice, under contract. They are not "copyright" by anyone but DVForge, Inc.

5. And yes, I have a well-earned reputation for "jumping in" on public forums where lies are being posted about our company or our products. Of course, the historical result of that has been that a wave of people seem to be predisposed to believe and repeat the juicy lies, and ignore the factual replies. Whatever... the web loves a good villain, even if he is completely fabricated to be such.

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
Why wont apple just give up on the one button mouse, and make a 3 button both USB and BT with an on/off swtich... and to save batteries it shouyld be rechrageable and give you 2 extra batteries so you always have ones that are ready to go..... that would save all this non-sence. :rolleyes:

I really want to use my bluetooth for something.. Since verizon won't make a bluetooth phone, and since i dont' have a palm polit, and since i have a laptop, i dont need a keyboard, all i want is normal bluetooth mouse!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.