Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pyrorwd

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 10, 2005
Hey all,

Well I've been using windows for a long time (admin) and for all these innovations, I feel like a noob on the mac. I bought a 2x2.3 G5 with a 23" HD display. So I went to a mac store and asked a rep a few things and the guy was basically saying 'windows is the worst thing that happend to the computer industry' and 'I don't want to make os x like windows, why do you want to copy windows?' and in the end he said "I'm going to be honest, maybe you should just stick to windows".

He tried to explain to me how fast he was with his mouse (vs windows shortcuts) and that changing the 'tracking speed' actually meant I could turn off the horrible hidden acceleration (wtf). He said that winkey + e was something that "99.9%" of windows users didn't know existed and using it was just doing it "my way". Then he suggested I go write a hack on applescript and write a book about writing hacks for OS X and make a lot of money like David Pogue. Will this /switch campaigning (like the girl who needed to buy an iBook to get pictures off her digital camera), the message is always 'if your way is different, it's WRONG, because apple cares about the people, and microsoft just wants to take your money and run'.

I wonder how many people that can't get pictures off their camera he told to go write a hack for the os to do what they wanted. Or maybe they should be satisfied with an os that doesn't have 'suck gimmicks'.

Reading some of the threads here, I got the distinct feeling that A LOT of people are IT novices (no offence of course) (like the person who suggested finding out your parents' router IP will get you in trouble with the law). Power users DO NOT use the mouse to switch between windows. I've heard from MANY people that work for apple that "A 7-year-old could use OS X". I used to get upset when explorer would give you warning message ONCE about going into C:/. Finder just decides that you shouldn't see half the folders at the root of your drive because you're too stupid not to break them.

As I hope you understand, I'm not a novice. Please don't give me any of this housewife-that-just-hit-the-mac-store testifying how mac is the end-all OS and that we're just fools corrupted by windows. After all, I just put 5g's into this so give me the benefit of the doubt. (Very interested to hear the comments of power users who've made the switch.)

To be said, OS X sure looks nice and it warms my heart that its freebsd below that shiny coat of paint, but the interface deficiencies are serious.

I'm sure you've seen this before... I have a several issues coming from windows. How many of these things have solutions? (built in somewhere, already scripted or available hack).

1) I have a 23" 1920x1200 display. Safari wants to scale to content on maximize. I can fit 2-3 scaled windows on my screen. How can I tile these windows? (The mac store guy opened 6 safari windows and tiled them to unreadable sizes with expose. This is not what I mean.)

2) Can I maximize to fit to screen with Safari for example? (Very glad that Firefox does this. And don't say it's unnecessary. It's kind of a visceral thing.)

3) How can I find an equivalent key shortcut that switches to finder and does command + N (new window), anywhere and in any application (like winkey + E)?

4) Can I make the finder actually view the root of the drive (/) and not just some stuff that it wants to show me and my user folder.

5) Can I put an address bar into finder? (I'm aware of Go > Go To Folder)

6) Can Alt-Tab cycle windows instead of applications. Does not help me if I have 6 finders open. (Aware of Command + `)

7) Is there a true screen locking solution (like winkey + L)? (I'm aware of keychain lock... you can still control things like eject button and mute/volume buttons while LOCKED.)

8) How much ram is necessary for Tiger to run smoothly? (I have 512mb at the moment with 2gb coming soon (x800 256mb video) and it runs somewhat crappy at times. Doom 3 CLEARLY seizes up for a few moments when it's paging.)

9) Can I disable the trash and have things deleted immediately?

10) Are there media codecs? (I'm using VLC at the moment which knows a lot of things built it.) How do I get FCP to recognize non-standard media for example?

11) Is there a way to permanently use your chosen printing profile? (Like I have an HP Inkjet I want printing from black always, but whenever a print dialog comes up it always chooses "Standard" by default, which prints stuff in color and makes me mad for forgetting to set it to the "Black" profile. "Standard", btw, cannot be modified (easily I suppose)).

Thanks!

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
OK, I just switched from Windows 6 months ago, and it is wonderful.

I don't really understand some of your questions
but here's a few I know...

1) For the record, expose is just to help you find the right window, you wouldn't actually work with these tiled windows (you can't).
I'm not sure what you mean with tiling Safari Windows, you would do it just like Windows, manually. (you can adjust window size with the bottom right corner, but I'm sure you knew that)

2) No, the green button will maximize to whatever the website requires. To get full screen you will need to click and drag the bottom-right corner.

3) As far as I know, with most Applications Command (apple) + N will give you a new window. Command + N will also give you a new finder window (assuming you are in finder). Was that your question?

5) yes you can, open a finder window (click your HD or something) and click the oval button in the upper-right hand corner. If there still isn't a address bar control click somewhere in the area that just appeared (such as next to the back and forward buttons) - select "customize toolbar."
EDIT: DON'T LISTEN TO THAT - I WAS WRONG!

6) I'm not aware of any way except for expose, to view all open windows hit "F9" and to view all windows in that application only hit "F10" - I know expose takes a while to get used to, but once you do it is great.

8) 512 should be plenty - 2 GB will be more than enough

11) I have not found a way - I've been trying also.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
EricNau said:
If there still isn't a address bar control click somewhere in the area that just appeared (such as next to the back and forward buttons) - select "customize toolbar."

I must be blind, because I don't see an address option there :confused:

4) In Preferences, there's an option called "New Finder windows open". Set it to the root of your drive.

10) Yes. They go into /Library/QuickTime, and can be used by any QuickTime-aware app. I have 18 different components in there, including DivX, WMV, AC3 and MPEG-2.

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
pyrorwd said:
3) How can I find an equivalent key shortcut that switches to finder and does command + N (new window), anywhere and in any application (like winkey + E)?
Macs work differently as you know, so I don't think there's an equivalent shortcut. The only thing I can think of is clicking on the Finder icon in the Dock to bring up all the Finder windows. If no Finder window is open, a new one will be created upon clicking on the icon.

4) Can I make the finder actually view the root of the drive (/) and not just some stuff that it wants to show me and my user folder.
In Finder preferences, you can set 'New Finder windows open:' to your Computer or HHDs. Or you can Command+Click on the Finder title bar to traverse to the root of the drive.

You can't add an address bar, but you can add a Path button that essentially works the same, only the path location is not visible until you click the button.

6) Can Alt-Tab cycle windows instead of applications. Does not help me if I have 6 finders open. (Aware of Command + `)
Again, the way Macs work is either you tab between apps or the windows within apps, as the menu bar changes on each switch, unlike windows where each app resides in its own window. Expose 'All Windows' is there for this purpose. F9

7) Is there a true screen locking solution (like winkey + L)? (I'm aware of keychain lock... you can still control things like eject button and mute/volume buttons while LOCKED.)
Go into System Preferences > Security. Check mark the first option to require a password to wake computer from sleep or screen saver. Next, set your Active Screen Savers to a corner to active a screen saver.

9) Can I disable the trash and have things deleted immediately?
No. I don't think you can. Think of the trashcan as the Undelete bin, because it essentially works the same as Windows, only much more elegantly.

Bakey

macrumors 6502
Oct 6, 2003
O Donny Boy
pyrorwd said:
I bought a 2x2.3 G5 with a 23" HD display.

Good grief man!! You're a noob to the Mac world and yet you've outlayed a serious wod of cash on a system like this!!! :eek: :confused:

This is by no means constructive so I apologise!!

RupertJ

macrumors newbie
Dec 30, 2004
Bristol, UK
If you want to see the hidden stuff on your HD, the open command in the terminal is your friend. Open one and try 'open /etc'.

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
RupertJ said:
If you want to see the hidden stuff on your HD, the open command in the terminal is your friend. Open one and try 'open /etc'.

If you have show hidden file and folders on I think you can go to / using the Go to Folder menu option.

jmufellow

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2005
pyrorwd said:
2) Can I maximize to fit to screen with Safari for example? (Very glad that Firefox does this. And don't say it's unnecessary. It's kind of a visceral thing.)

You have some very good questions, most of which I cannot answer because I'm stupid like that. But as far as screen maximizing goes, the best way is to just drag the corner to you liking--the application (like safari) will remember where you like it next time upon launching.

Command-Tab will do the same thing as Alt-Tab in windows :)

mdavey

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2005
pyrorwd said:
Well I've been using windows for a long time (admin) and for all these innovations, I feel like a noob on the mac.

I came from Linux and Unix and have similar experiences. The key thing to realise is that Apple's approach is different to Microsoft (and Unix companies). The clearest demonstration I can think of is the features of OSX and the iLife applications (iPhoto, iDVD, etc). I was really surprised to find that I had to load a dozen pieces of shareware on my Mac to get it working the way I wanted, but that Apple included iLife for free. With Windows or Unix the features provided by the shareware apps would be a part of the OS, but you would have to pay several hundred for the equivilent to iLife.

I suspect that most of your questions can be answered with the appropriate piece of shareware (I spent 2 weeks trawling the Internet for the appropriate software and am still looking for solutions to some things):

1) How can I tile these windows?

Seems like exactly the kind of thing that would be fixed with a piece of shareware, but I haven't found one yet. I've very quickly adapted to swiching quickly between windows by using Expose then clicking on the window I want, but I agree the OS should adapt to me not the other way around.

Use iKey http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/11485

8) How much ram is necessary for Tiger to run smoothly? (I have 512mb at the moment with 2gb coming soon (x800 256mb video) and it runs somewhat crappy at times. Doom 3 CLEARLY seizes up for a few moments when it's paging.)

I'd say 1GB. I started with 512MB and frequently saw the spinning beach ball but almost never with 1GB.

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
pyrorwd said:
I have no idea why you want to use Safari in a full screen mode, on a 23" that's just plain... well, well... :rolleyes:

But you can make your own Full Screen bookmark:
- Make a Bookmark and put it in your Bookmark Bar.
- Rename it Full Screen or whatever
- Edit the address to javascript:self.moveTo(0,0);self.resizeTo(screen.availWidth,screen.availHeight);

Now you got yourself a Full Screen button... ;)

Note that it will only be true full screen if the Dock is hidden. If the Dock is visible, it will not cover that (which is not available).

fayans

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2005
MacRumors: Forums
Mitthrawnuruodo said:
...But you can make your own Full Screen bookmark:
- Make a Bookmark and put it in your Bookmark Bar.
- Rename it Full Screen or whatever
- Edit the address to javascript:self.moveTo(0,0);self.resizeTo(screen.availWidth,screen.availHeight);

Now you got yourself a Full Screen button... ;)
This is cool! But how different this is to the default 'green' button? :rolleyes:

wordmunger

macrumors 603
Sep 3, 2003
North Carolina
pyrorwd said:
11) Is there a way to permanently use your chosen printing profile? (Like I have an HP Inkjet I want printing from black always, but whenever a print dialog comes up it always chooses "Standard" by default, which prints stuff in color and makes me mad for forgetting to set it to the "Black" profile. "Standard", btw, cannot be modified (easily I suppose)).

Wow, is that a new "feature" in Tiger? In Panther, it remembers the last profile you used.

This is cool! But how different this is to the default 'green' button?
The green button only expands the window to the optimal width for the site you're currently viewing. This isn't always the full screen width.

Wince99

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2005
Montreal
In general, I would say that (and I mean it for any piece of software) you don't work the same way when you switch apps. I know people that switched from Logic to Digital Performer and kept asking "how do I do it as I did in Logic". The answer is often that to achieve the same result working in a different way. For example, for switching between windows/apps, Exposé is the way to go for a mac. If you learn to use it, you find it a necessary os feature. Also, for Windows, Power User = shortcuts = keyboard. This equation is not always true on the mac. I find my way faster using Exposé with a Mighty Mouse than using the keyboard (on Windows).

pyrorwd said:

Apple thought that it would be nice if the green glob behaved differently from app to app :rolleyes: That's why it works like you want in Firefox and not in Safari, it's the choice of the programmer.

If you want to know more about it, go to :

http://www.macdevcenter.com/pub/a/mac/2002/05/16/cocoa.html

Use the terminal App. I always keep it floating around. You can make it transparent so you still see behind and acess it with Exposé. You can also drag files/folders to it to accelerate things.

Hope that helps.

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
fayans said:
Which I assume the green button doesn't cover all for a 23" display. :)
From the second post in this thread (though it's really common knowledge among Mac users):
EricNau said:
2) No, the green button will maximize to whatever the website requires. To get full screen you will need to click and drag the bottom-right corner.
:)

twentyeight7

macrumors member
Aug 2, 2003
Lacero said:
No. I don't think you can. Think of the trashcan as the Undelete bin, because it essentially works the same as Windows, only much more elegantly.

can you please explain how the hell the trash works more elegantly then in windows??

Chris

cleanup

macrumors 68030
Jun 26, 2005
Toronto
twentyeight7 said:
can you please explain how the hell the trash works more elegantly then in windows??

Chris

I have to agree. The fact that the Trash bin has no "Restore" function as in Windows is quite retarded, and how it never asks me if I'm sure I want to delete unless I use Secure Empty Trash.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
cleanup said:
I have to agree. The fact that the Trash bin has no "Restore" function as in Windows is quite retarded, and how it never asks me if I'm sure I want to delete unless I use Secure Empty Trash.
Look in the Finder Preferences and turn on Warn before emptying Trash. Fixed.

Mac OS 9 had a handy Put Away function that served the same purpose as the Restore function in Windows you speak of. Why Apple removed it in Mac OS X is beyond me, since I find it useful too.

MacAficionado

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2002
An awesome place
In Windows you're to stupid to realize you're putting data in the Recycle Bin, so it asks you if that is what you want to do. Like I don't know what I'm doing.

In Mac OS, I send something to the Trash because I know what I'm doing doing, I don't need to be told or warned.

The original poster seems like a troll to me, but if he is so good with Windows, then he should realize that a lot of the answers he looks for are in the Menus. But whatever, you guys keep feeding him.:rolleyes:

BrandonSi

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2005
Chicago, IL
I'm a desktop architect for a Fortune 100 company. I build XP and 2K images all the time, and I code apps and script application installs using .msi, wise installer and VS.NET. I would even go far enough to say that I'm somewhat of a Windows expert.

My home machine? A 20" iMac G5.

Believe me when I say OS X is a far superior OS in almost everyway than Windows. It takes time to learn how to use it effectively, not very much time, but there is a learning curve. If you're having trouble, pick up a book at Borders or something.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.