Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
I would also suggest you get some books on Tiger. Pogue has a good one. Also, search the forum here for some threads on what third party apps people use. I would be frustrated too if I didn't have things like Onyx, FruitMenu (and other http://www.unsanity.com toys), DefaultFolderX, XKeys, Witch, and FireFox (fullscreen, and a GO button!) with all of it's extensions. Yeah, I know, why should you have to use hacks, but there it is. Play around with OS X a little more, and you will get used to most of it's quirks. Macs are easier, but you're so used to Windows, when you try to do it Microsoft's way on them, it doesn't work the same. I'm the same way when I work on Windows all day. When you get 2GB of RAM it will speed up quite a bit, but OS X will use as much as you have, so the more the better. Gaming is not it's strong suit though, so be forwarned.

Give it some time. Apples aren't for everyone, but I think you'll be happy with your machine after you get to know it a little more. Remember that most people don't need the hacks and scripts because they don't need to do what you want to do. But since they're there, and you know how to use them, go nuts. And don't forget, send Apple constructive feedback if there's something you don't like. Sometimes they listen.

jaduffy108

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2005
AtHomeBoy_2000 said:
THis is a classic example of someone who learned so mand bad habits on Wondows that you now have to retrain them to "think simple" on a mac.

Apple Cult MacFUD! Windows does have its strengths...why is that sooooo hard to admit?

radiantm3

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2005
San Jose, CA
This is the classic case of a user so used to the windows way of thinking that anything different feels wrong. Not speaking in a negative way, of course. It took me 6 months to feel as comfortable with OS X as I was with windows. Don't expect to feel at home in a few days. You need to unlearn some of the bad habits from windows and it is natural that what you have been using for years feels right. I've been using macs for about 3 years now and windows for 10. I still have a windows box, but I can't stand using it (although I have to sometimes because of what I do).

One of the major bad habits of windows is thinking everything should fill the screen. That is one of the biggest flaws in windows and it becomes more apparent as display sizes and resolutions increase. Opening Safari at full screen on a 23" display is completely ridiculous and unnecessary. The zoom button opens your browser to fit the width of the website. Why fill the screen? The windows way of displaying windows handicaps multitasking and working between different documents in different applications.

As far as quickly deleting files to the trash, just use command-delete. Moves anything to the trash, no questions asked. I think OS X has a superior set of keyboard shortcuts than windows. I didn't read this whole thread so I'm not sure if it was posted, but here is a pretty good list of common shortcuts in os x:
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=75459

thedude110

macrumors 68020
Jun 13, 2005
jaduffy108 said:
Apple Cult MacFUD! Windows does have its strengths...why is that sooooo hard to admit?

Absolutely. When I run an anti-spyware app on my Windows machine, you should see all the stuff it finds! And Apple doesn't even make a anti-spyware app for OS X!

:rolleyes:

I guess it depends what's important to you...

To use OSX effectively, you're going to have to learn the OSX way of doing things, which won't feel intuitive to a long-time Windows user, though it sounds like many such people have made the leap and not looked back.

You have to ask yourself, "Do you feel lucky, punk?"... sorry, wrong thread. ;) You have to ask yourself if the reasons for switching to OSX outweigh the learning curve for navigating a new OS. You're a smart guy. If you want to learn to be a OSX Power User, I'm sure it won't take long. Pogue's books help.

Best of luck. I envy your hardware! - j

Dane D.

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2004
ohio
Strengths?

Like what?

I've never seen anything done on a PC in my world that is better. Hey, the guy wanted help with OS X. Coming over from the darkside he needs to learn the Mac way and we can help him.

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
jaduffy108 said:
Windows does have its strengths...why is that sooooo hard to admit?

It does...but there are so few I can count them with 1 finger! :rolleyes: :p

And that one thing is simply the fact that it has a larger market share, and therefore more applications are made for it.

Fukui

macrumors 68000
Jul 19, 2002
Dane D. said:
Like what?

I've never seen anything done on a PC in my world that is better. Hey, the guy wanted help with OS X. Coming over from the darkside he needs to learn the Mac way and we can help him.
Yea, maybe so, but calling him a troll doesn't help.

jaduffy108 said:

This is for the same reason that the original poster is having a hard time seeing strengths within OSX, unfamiliarity.

I couldn't name a single strength of Windows outside of all the hardware and software available to it because I've seldom used it. I can get around on it, but it feels awkward because I'm not used to it.

How would you expect people who've only used Macs to understand the strengths of Windows when the only aspects of Windows that are ever reported upon in the press are instability, susceptibility to viruses, frothing Balmer, and pushed back release dates with lessened features?

Gotta know it to love it.

Diatribe

macrumors 601
Jan 8, 2004
Back in the motherland
Windows does have its advantages... it's called being a fanboy not acknowledging that fact.
Compared to OS X there are very few but there are things Windows does better. Start by taking those reality distortion glasses off and you'll see. :p ;)

jhu

macrumors 6502a
Apr 4, 2004
i've been using mac os x for about the past month and find it rather slow. i'm finding myself mostly booting into the command-line and running x instead.

johnnyjibbs

macrumors 68030
Sep 18, 2003
London, UK
I remembered not really understanding the magic of the green zoom button when I first switched to Mac two years ago. I, like a lot of Windows users, was expecting it to function completely like the maximise button in Windows (like it sometimes does).

But it boils down to the Mac vs Windows way of doing things. On a Mac, you tend to have Windows floating on the desktop not at full screen size (because they are no more useful at this size usually) and with palettes dotted around. On Windows, you usually have a background the the application and more of a one-window approach to each application. I guess part of this also stems from the fact that Mac OS X's window shading makes it easier to see the outlines of different windows.

But I like the Mac method. Why do I need Safari to take up the whole screen when it is only displaying a webpage with 800x600 resolution (ie. a width of only 800 pixels)? I might as well see some of the beauty of my desktop picture in the space to the sides.

Diatribe

macrumors 601
Jan 8, 2004
Back in the motherland
jayscheuerle said:
It could just be plain old ignorance, as in my case. ;)

Of course, ignorance can be bliss... :D

Yeah, I guess it is. Don't get me wrong, I hate using Windows but there are some things I really miss when using OS X. Like putting files back to where they came from when restoring from trash.

Diatribe said:
Yeah, I guess it is. Don't get me wrong, I hate using Windows but there are some things I really miss when using OS X. Like putting files back to where they came from when restoring from trash.

Okay. As a non-Windows user, the idea of restoring trash makes no sense. I put things in there to get rid of them, not as some sort of file purgatory. Years ago, when hard drive space was more valuable, I emptied the trash a couple of times per day. I haven't emptied my trash her at work since September 5th because I still have 16GB available (just in case!). Why would somebody use an area labeled "trash" as a holding bin?

Sure, I could see the rare "D'oh!!" instance where it would be valuable, but I think that part of the essence of OSX and Apple in particular is simplicity and straightforwardness, not a lot of dialog boxes, helpers, or options. Emptying the trash empties the trash. They leave it up to 3rd parties to develop applications like "Dumpster Diver" or "Landfill Looter" to retrieve things that have been long since thrown away.

The iPod is a distilled essence of this Apple philosophy, or to be more specific, the scroll-wheel itself. Say what you want about the limitations of the device, but the navigation via scroll-wheel is close to perfect. I really don't think anything else comes close.

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
pyrorwd said:
Reading some of the threads here, I got the distinct feeling that A LOT of people are IT novices (no offence of course)

I think maybe you should reserve your judgement. This is a Mac Rumors forum. It's not a technically oriented site by any means. There are quite a few Mac users who are extremely capable when it comes to IT, and not just in the Apple Realm and it's associated halo effects.

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
Fukui said:
I don't normally reply to this stuff, but I am getting sick of this.
The OP did come across as a bit troll-ish.

I could easily go into any PC-forum and post my experiences of why Windows XP can't do certain things I take for granted in OSX. I really don't see the point of the OP especially if it's taken with the attitude of 'why can't I do this on OSX when I can do it so easily in XP', etc, etc. It's annoying.

When people try different platforms, they need to adjust their expectations accordingly. This reminds me of a time I had to use an SGI machine running IRIX to do some electronic publishing. The interface was very foreign, and I didn't expect I would do things as easily or as intuitively as I could in OSX. I think it would apply here.

kainjow

Moderator emeritus
Jun 15, 2000
pyrorwd said:
1) I have a 23" 1920x1200 display. Safari wants to scale to content on maximize. I can fit 2-3 scaled windows on my screen. How can I tile these windows? (The mac store guy opened 6 safari windows and tiled them to unreadable sizes with expose. This is not what I mean.)
Like others have said, you can't tile all windows. Some apps let you do it for their windows, but only a few.

pyrorwd said:
2) Can I maximize to fit to screen with Safari for example? (Very glad that Firefox does this. And don't say it's unnecessary. It's kind of a visceral thing.)
Again, some apps allow maximize, others don't. And don't tell me to say it's not necessary! With a 23" montior, full screen browsing is the most unproductive thing you can do on a Mac. You're using a Mac now - think differently, don't think like a Windows user! You're using the most powerful, yet simplist operating system on earth!

pyrorwd said:
3) How can I find an equivalent key shortcut that switches to finder and does command + N (new window), anywhere and in any application (like winkey + E)?
Like someone else said, use iKey. There is no one-shot way of doing this built-in. Fastest way is Command-Tab to Finder, then Command-N.

pyrorwd said:
4) Can I make the finder actually view the root of the drive (/) and not just some stuff that it wants to show me and my user folder.
Again, download one of the billion of utilities that let you see invisible files.

pyrorwd said:
5) Can I put an address bar into finder? (I'm aware of Go > Go To Folder)
No. Supposedly this is coming in Leopard, 10.5.

pyrorwd said:
6) Can Alt-Tab cycle windows instead of applications. Does not help me if I have 6 finders open. (Aware of Command + `)
No, but there is a utility that allow this, I forget the name.. I'll try to get this later.

pyrorwd said:
7) Is there a true screen locking solution (like winkey + L)? (I'm aware of keychain lock... you can still control things like eject button and mute/volume buttons while LOCKED.)
Try DeskShade

pyrorwd said:
8) How much ram is necessary for Tiger to run smoothly? (I have 512mb at the moment with 2gb coming soon (x800 256mb video) and it runs somewhat crappy at times. Doom 3 CLEARLY seizes up for a few moments when it's paging.)
512MB is minimu, 1GB is awesome. The more the merrier (unlike Windows).

pyrorwd said:
9) Can I disable the trash and have things deleted immediately?
No, but Command-Shift-Delete empties the trash. Command-Delete sends files to the trash.

pyrorwd said:
10) Are there media codecs? (I'm using VLC at the moment which knows a lot of things built it.) How do I get FCP to recognize non-standard media for example?
/Library/QuickTime - you can get a variety of QuickTime plugins for many other formants that QT doesn't accept.

pyrorwd said:
11) Is there a way to permanently use your chosen printing profile? (Like I have an HP Inkjet I want printing from black always, but whenever a print dialog comes up it always chooses "Standard" by default, which prints stuff in color and makes me mad for forgetting to set it to the "Black" profile. "Standard", btw, cannot be modified (easily I suppose)).
Unfortunately no, not in Tiger. I'm not sure why this is, but hopefully Apple will add this. Seems very stupid to me :(

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
kainjow said:
Unfortunately no, not in Tiger. I'm not sure why this is, but hopefully Apple will add this. Seems very stupid to me :(

Strange, I don't have any problems with this..

I have a profile set up for Duplexing, which is my default, but is not the standard profile.

kainjow

Moderator emeritus
Jun 15, 2000
Lacero said:
The OP did come across as a bit troll-ish.

I could easily go into any PC-forum and post my experiences of why Windows XP can't do certain things I take for granted in OSX. I really don't see the point of the OP especially if it's taken with the attitude of 'why can't I do this on OSX when I can do it so easily in XP', etc, etc.
Uh, he's not trolling. He's asking legitiment questions. Why can you guys accept the fact the the Mac is not better then Windows in every single way? Yes, the Mac is awesome and great, but it's not perfect. There are things Macs can do that Windows can't, and things Windows can do that Mac can't.

For example, gaming???? It costs a fortune to play games at good FPS on the Mac... on Windows you can just get a crappy $50 gpu and they run decent. Plus, 1/4 of the games are available for Mac anyways, if that.

Am I trolling? No! I'm a die hard Mac fan, but I'm also a logical thinker. If someone asks me what kind of computer they should get, I'm not going to yell Mac for whatever the reason! I'm just getting sick of people who think Mac is the perfect solution to everything.

The OP is asking how do I do X on the Mac, and some of them you can't yet. Don't get mad at him for it! It's not his fault! Yes, there are alternatives, but alternative does not always equal better!!

Diatribe

macrumors 601
Jan 8, 2004
Back in the motherland
jayscheuerle said:
Okay. As a non-Windows user, the idea of restoring trash makes no sense. I put things in there to get rid of them, not as some sort of file purgatory. Years ago, when hard drive space was more valuable, I emptied the trash a couple of times per day. I haven't emptied my trash her at work since September 5th because I still have 16GB available (just in case!). Why would somebody use an area labeled "trash" as a holding bin?

Sure, I could see the rare "D'oh!!" instance where it would be valuable, but I think that part of the essence of OSX and Apple in particular is simplicity and straightforwardness, not a lot of dialog boxes, helpers, or options. Emptying the trash empties the trash. They leave it up to 3rd parties to develop applications like "Dumpster Diver" or "Landfill Looter" to retrieve things that have been long since thrown away.

The iPod is a distilled essence of this Apple philosophy, or to be more specific, the scroll-wheel itself. Say what you want about the limitations of the device, but the navigation via scroll-wheel is close to perfect. I really don't think anything else comes close.

I think you misunderstand me. The feature I am talking about is that you can click on a file in the trash and restore it to its last location. It is tremendously useful if you have a lot of hierarchies.

kainjow

Moderator emeritus
Jun 15, 2000
yellow said:
Strange, I don't have any problems with this..

I have a profile set up for Duplexing, which is my default, but is not the standard profile.
Weird, when I was playing with it, it didn't save... although I haven't checked since 10.4.3...

shwc

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2005
I would seriously suggest you read the series of articles at http://www.anandtech.com/mac. AnandTech is a hard-core windows centric hardware tech site. They did a series of articles on what it is like for a long time windows power user to use mac os X. He gets some things wrong or is overly harsh do to his ignorance at the time of certain aspects of Mac OS X, but on the whole it is an insightful and largely balanced article. I would also suggest you read various Window to Mac switcher guides at macosxhints and at this site. The best advice, however, is not to force the mac to behave exactly like windows. Try the mac way, there are very good reasons why some things behave differently. I know it is frustrating. Read the Anand article, he too was frustrated and hated certain things at first. As to your specific questions.

1) Do as you would in msWindows, position (tile) the each window on the screen with the mouse. EDIT: oops my ignorance of Windows showing here ignore this point.

2) Any window be it finder or safari will remember the window size and that you last set. The green button toggles between the size you last manually set and the minimum size needed to display all of the information. Therefore launch safari and set the window to full screen using the mouse, quit safari. Launch safari again, the window will the be size you set it to a minute ago. Now you can use the green button to toggle between full screen and minnumum size required to display the information. Or simply use Firefox or Camino, which behave differently.

3) Use an automator action?

4) Yep, as others have mentioned use onyx, cocktail, or tinkertool to tell the finder to show the unix file structure (i.e,. the "hidden files"). There are other system options in these programs you might also find useful. My personal favorite is putting bidirectional scroll arrows at both ends of the scroll bar.

5) Actually that would be kind of nice, but no you can not add an address bar to the finder tool bar. However, a simple key command, CommandShiftG, gets you to an address field where you can type in your address. Being a fan of keyboard short cuts, this ought to appeal to you. A tool bar field in a finder window would necessitate a mouse click.

Alternatively, spend more time in terminal where almost everything is done with the keyboard ... Now that would be the pinnacle of super-user-dom (according to your definition) ;-).

6) Use Command` and Command~ to cycle windows and use CommandTab to cycle between applications. But you know that already. I just Opened 6 finder windows and was able to Command` through them, then CommandTabbed to another application and then Command` through its windows. So you problem is what, exactly?

8) 512 mb is generally considered minimum. OS X likes to keep as much stuff in RAM as it as possible for ready access. One to four gigs seems to be the generic range for average "power" users (see various polls at macosxhints.com, or this forum)

9) Yes, see various hints regarding this topic at macosxhints.com. Here is just one such hint http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=2005083108535112&query=delete+trash.

10)Since there are third party non-standard media codecs available for quicktime, I would assume the answer is "possibly", depending on the codec in question. I do not use Final Cut Pro, but I would assume that it can use quicktime to interpret codecs.

11) I was about to say make a new print profile and name it standard (after deleting the old standard), as you discovered ... no can do. That said the print dialog should remember the profile you last used and default to that. At least that what happens on my machine. Not sure why yours is acting different.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.