Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PhaserFuzz

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 12, 2007
So far, after I'm done using the Vision Pro, I just unplug it and place it in the travel case. Is this safe to do? Or should I power off the headset before unplugging? Or is it better to just leave it plugged into the battery at all times while in the case?

Thanks for any input!

BanditoB

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2009
Chicago, IL
I think the VP is set up to be powered most of the time, just like iPhones, iPads, and Macs. They never really power down primarily so that they are instantly available when you go to use them the next time.

The VP seems to be set up this same way. As a computer keeping track of everything that is open and running background tasks, I would tend to err on the side of caution and go through the Power Off option rather than just disconnecting the battery.

It’s likely okay either way, but it just seems kinder and safer to formally power it down.

Reactions: fatTribble

iStorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2012
I would either plug it in when I'm not using it, or shut it down if I won't be using it for a while. Just unplugging it could potentially lead to data corruption, and remember...you can't restore the Vision Pro yourself like you can do with an iPhone or Mac.

This is what Apple has to say about it:

When Apple Vision Pro is not in use, it’s best to keep your battery connected to a power outlet, as Apple Vision Pro continues syncing all your messages, mail, photos, and more. This helps ensure your content is up to date, and your battery is full, the next time you put on Apple Vision Pro.

In between uses, put the cover on, then place Apple Vision Pro on a stable surface, like a table or desk. You can leave the battery connected for short periods of time, but Apple Vision Pro automatically shuts down after 24 hours of inactivity to preserve battery (unless it’s charging).

Reactions: G5isAlive

Scipster

macrumors 6502
Aug 13, 2020
There has been reports that leaving the AVP plugged in while not in use with the cover on leads to a hairline crack in the middle of the outer plastic due to the heat. I would not recommend keeping the battery plugged into the AVP if you value the investment.

Eugr

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2018
That one time I left it plugged with the cover on, it got extremely hot due to the vents being blocked by cover. So I just shut it down overnight and unplug the battery (but leave the battery charging).

As for shutting down vs. unplugging right away, it's probably safer to shut down first, but since VisionOS is based on iPadOS, it should be more tolerant to sudden power loss than, say, MacOS.

Scipster

macrumors 6502
Aug 13, 2020
That one time I left it plugged with the cover on, it got extremely hot due to the vents being blocked by cover. So I just shut it down overnight and unplug the battery (but leave the battery charging).

As for shutting down vs. unplugging right away, it's probably safer to shut down first, but since VisionOS is based on iPadOS, it should be more tolerant to sudden power loss than, say, MacOS.

That's a very good point! I noticed the fans on my AVP spinning after watching shows, so I make sure it cools down before putting the front cover back on. I wonder if the trapped heat caused by the blocked exhaust fans is causing this issue?

Eugr

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2018
That's a very good point! I noticed the fans on my AVP spinning after watching shows, so I make sure it cools down before putting the front cover back on. I wonder if the trapped heat caused by the blocked exhaust fans is causing this issue?

One thing to keep in mind is even if you let it cool down after use, it will still be doing things in background when plugged - fetching your emails and receiving notifications, indexing new stuff for spotlight, installing updates. I noticed that it is actually getting hotter when not in use sometimes. So, I wouldn't recommend putting the cover on unless it's unplugged.

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
There has been reports that leaving the AVP plugged in while not in use with the cover on leads to a hairline crack in the middle of the outer plastic due to the heat. I would not recommend keeping the battery plugged into the AVP if you value the investment.
This makes absolutely no sense. Why would it generate more heat sitting unused than it would being worn and actively used? This very much sounds like someone who didn't buy Apple Care dropped their headset and is now looking for any excuse to not have to overpay for repairs.

• Sad
Reactions: twinpeaks_sf

Scipster

macrumors 6502
Aug 13, 2020
This makes absolutely no sense. Why would it generate more heat sitting unused than it would being worn and actively used? This very much sounds like someone who didn't buy Apple Care dropped their headset and is now looking for any excuse to not have to overpay for repairs.

Apparently visionOS takes care of background tasks when its not in use, like syncing iCloud backups, getting notifications, etc. In some cases, users report the iCloud backup getting struck, causing lots of heat. The trouble is the front cover blocks the fan intakes and exhausts which apparently the vision pro needs in order to avoid the excess heat. And it's the stress from this heat that causes the front panel to crack.

According to Apple's support documentation, the AVP shuts off after 24 hours of non-use: https://support.apple.com/en-us/117740

But it seems like that is not good enough. Better to unplug than risk damage to your AVP.

Hopefully Apple issues a software fix for this, like they did for the AirPods Max battery drain (again, because the 24-hour shut-off was too long)

ovrlrd

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2009
Apparently visionOS takes care of background tasks when its not in use, like syncing iCloud backups, getting notifications, etc. In some cases, users report the iCloud backup getting struck, causing lots of heat. The trouble is the front cover blocks the fan intakes and exhausts which apparently the vision pro needs in order to avoid the excess heat. And it's the stress from this heat that causes the front panel to crack.

According to Apple's support documentation, the AVP shuts off after 24 hours of non-use: https://support.apple.com/en-us/117740

But it seems like that is not good enough. Better to unplug than risk damage to your AVP.

Hopefully Apple issues a software fix for this, like they did for the AirPods Max battery drain (again, because the 24-hour shut-off was too long)
The cause of those cracks is still unknown, but I get why people are being a bit worried about their expensive device.

As already mentioned, if you don’t like unplugging the battery you can also just shut down the device in visionOS. I already do this if I am storing it away inside of a case.

Or do what is obvious, ditch the front cover, and don’t store it anywhere that covers the vents. Let it breathe. You can also find plenty of stands out there that will hold the headset, that way you can leave it plugged in like Apple intended, and still have it ready to put on without having to wait for it to turn on.

Reactions: AdonisSMU

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009

Wouldn't the more logical solution be to stop blocking the vents and letting the device do its syncing?

Either way, it would take quite a bit of heat to crack glass. I'm surprised we haven't seen more complaints of people picking up devices to find them extremely hot if that was happening.

Reactions: GrenadeOconnor

Kierkegaarden

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2018
USA
I would either plug it in when I'm not using it, or shut it down if I won't be using it for a while. Just unplugging it could potentially lead to data corruption, and remember...you can't restore the Vision Pro yourself like you can do with an iPhone or Mac.

This is what Apple has to say about it:

I’m a bit confused — does the battery drain if you take it off and lay it down without plugging it in? Does it only sync when plugged in?

It almost sounds best to shut it down and disconnect battery each time are done using it, or is that not practical?

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
Normally you want to a shutdown rather than just cut power to a computer device to ensure that application data is safely stored on the storage device. I have just been pulling the plug since I am not using any apps where one would lose app data.

does the battery drain if you take it off and lay it down without plugging it in? Does it only sync when plugged in?

It almost sounds best to shut it down and disconnect battery each time are done using it, or is that not practical?

1. No. If you left it for a long period of time it might eventually drain.

2. Not sure what you mean by "sync". It only charges when connected to a power supply. It only powers the VP when it is connected to it.

3. Personally I always just disconnect the battery when I am done and put the VP in its case.

Battery performance and optimization has yet to be documented. Often batteries have a longer lifespan if they aren't completely discharged. So I am trying to avoid the 20% battery warning message by always recharging it after it is used even if 90% charged when I take it off.

ovrlrd

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2009
Not sure what you mean by "sync"

Like iPhones, iPads, and Macs, the AVP will keep everything updated even while you aren’t using it.

From the Apple Vision Pro User Guide:

When Apple Vision Pro is not in use, it’s best to keep your battery connected to a power outlet, as Apple Vision Pro continues syncing all your messages, mail, photos, and more. This helps ensure your content is up to date, and your battery is full, the next time you put on Apple Vision Pro.

Rychiar

macrumors 68030
May 16, 2006
Waterbury, CT
Every time I pick up my Vision Pro it feels warm, even after a full night of not using it. It especially worries me that if I put the cover over the glass, it covers the the heat release vents. It’s shutting it down fully the best thing to do when not using?

Eugr

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2018
Every time I pick up my Vision Pro it feels warm, even after a full night of not using it. It especially worries me that if I put the cover over the glass, it covers the the heat release vents. It’s shutting it down fully the best thing to do when not using?

I shut it down and unplug the battery overnight or anytime I put the cover on. Usually I just keep it plugged and without cover when not in use during the day.

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
I don't leave mine plugged in. I plug it in while I'm using it if it is low.

As for shut down, basically only when the software starts getting janky, then I'll reboot and things are back to normal.

SirithX

macrumors 6502
Feb 21, 2007
San Francisco
I never unplug mine, or shut it down. I just take it off when I dont use it and charge whenever it needs it. I also put the cover on generally whenever I'm not using it. Maybe I should unplug it when the cover is on? But Apple's guidance doesn't seem concerned about it.

martens

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2019
I wish it would re-launch apps (and arrangement) that were running before shut down or power off.

fatTribble

macrumors 65816
Sep 21, 2018
Ohio
I pretty much try to do whatever Apple recommends. Like others, I only shut it down when apps seem reluctant to launch. Otherwise it has the cover on when not in use. I charge it as needed but often just charge when seated.

I’ll make sure it’s fully charged before wearing it to a wedding or before driving a Tesla 🤭🙄

batting1000

macrumors 604
Sep 4, 2011
Florida
Apple recommends to disconnect the battery when you know you won’t use VP for an extended period of time, but it’s unclear how long that timeframe is.

A couple times I’ve charged it to 100 and left it plugged in overnight, and when I go to use it the next day, the battery is pretty low, so I’ve been unplugging it after each use when I know I won’t use it until the next day or so.

Reactions: fatTribble

G5isAlive

Contributor
Aug 28, 2003
Before the stories came out about the front piece cracking due to heat stress I never shut it down, but now I do overnight before putting on the cover. We dont know yet if crackgate is a thing or not, but better safe than sorry!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.