Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

calderini

macrumors member
May 6, 2004
That one time I left it plugged with the cover on, it got extremely hot due to the vents being blocked by cover. So I just shut it down overnight and unplug the battery (but leave the battery charging).

As for shutting down vs. unplugging right away, it's probably safer to shut down first, but since VisionOS is based on iPadOS, it should be more tolerant to sudden power loss than, say, MacOS.
Guess I've been lucky as I am normally too lazy to replace the cover after use. But it's good to know and a story I'm following closely (of course)

Reactions: G5isAlive

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
Has anyone seen the cycle rating for the VP batteries? With heavy use a battery might be recharged 2-3 times a day which means you could hit ~1000 cycles within a year. Given the cost of the batteries it seems that leaving the battery attached all the time would be a mistake. My routine is to disconnect when not in use and recharge immediately even if not completely discharged avoiding the need for a full recharge. Recharging after a full discharge can be detrimental to battery life if you can avoid it.

Don't know how charging the battery when using it affects battery life.

mpetrides

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2007
The cause of those cracks is still unknown, but I get why people are being a bit worried about their expensive device.

As already mentioned, if you don’t like unplugging the battery you can also just shut down the device in visionOS. I already do this if I am storing it away inside of a case.

Or do what is obvious, ditch the front cover, and don’t store it anywhere that covers the vents. Let it breathe. You can also find plenty of stands out there that will hold the headset, that way you can leave it plugged in like Apple intended, and still have it ready to put on without having to wait for it to turn on.
The problem with doing a shutdown before storing the AVP is that doing so precludes getting the updates that Apple refers to in the User Guide.

mpetrides

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2007
Just before "Crackgate" became a thing, I called AppleCare specifically to ask about this issue. The rep I spoke with advised that the AVP is intended to be left plugged in and on, charging and updating messages, emails, apps, etc.--just like my Mac is. And, as someone else noted, this advice is echoed in the User Guide.

So, I had been putting the cover on my AVP, putting it into Apple's case, and plugging the still-attached battery into the wall. Doing this I did note that about half the time, by the the next morning, the AVP was warm to the touch and this concerned me a bit. Then along came Crackgate

So, after anguishing over Crackgate and reading through the messages here, these are my takeaways and my current gameplan.

1. I will no longer put the cover on the AVP until it has had time to cool down.

2. Instead of storing the AVP overnight in its case with the cover on and battery attached, I will instead protect the front of the AVP with the provided cleaning cloth, taking care not to block the vents and not use the cover. And I will continue to store it with the battery attached and plugged into the wall charger. Unless I will be out of the house and unable to police my rambunctious dog, I will leave the case open.

3. The above will not completely avoid blocking the vents, since some of the vent space is covered by contact with Apple case itself.

4. Using a stand will not work, since I have a very rambunctious dog who manages to get to objects even when I think I have placed them well out of his reach--hence the need for a case.

Hopefully these changes in my behavior will protect my AVP from cracking, if indeed the cracks are the result of thermal stress due to storage plugged in and left on.

Any comments and/or additional suggestions would be appreciated.

Reactions: G5isAlive

ovrlrd

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2009
The problem with doing a shutdown before storing the AVP is that doing so precludes getting the updates that Apple refers to in the User Guide.

I only store it in the case when it’s going to be off for an extended period. At which point it would have shut itself off on it’s own anyway since it would be longer than 24 hours.

I get that not everyone can use a stand but I think the key is that wherever you store it make sure it has proper ventilation.

Also unless you have slow internet, it really does not take that long to have it catch up on all the updates.

Reactions: fatTribble

mdburch

macrumors newbie
Apr 20, 2015
I set it down on the cleaning cloth. I only put the cover on after I shut it down and unplug the battery.

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
I just unplug it and put the cover on it and everything back in the travel case. I never leave it plugged in and charging while not in use.

mpetrides

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2007
I only store it in the case when it’s going to be off for an extended period. At which point it would have shut itself off on it’s own anyway since it would be longer than 24 hours.

I get that not everyone can use a stand but I think the key is that wherever you store it make sure it has proper ventilation.

Also unless you have slow internet, it really does not take that long to have it catch up on all the updates.
The suggestion that one ensure proper ventilation when storing the AVP is spot-on.

However, I'm not sure I agree with the part about updates. If I have automatic system updates toggled on and I leave my AVP on at night, I'm hoping to avoid the annoyance of having to wait for the system to update when I put the headset on and want to start using the AVP. Not a big deal, just a preference....

Timo_Existencia

Contributor
Jan 2, 2002
Case sits by my chair. I take the AVP off, battery connected and connected to power, place it in the case, shut but don't zip the case. No problems. No overheating that I am aware of. Nothing to indicate that it's a problem.

IMG_7346_sm.jpg

MarkNewton2023

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2023
So far, after I'm done using the Vision Pro, I just unplug it and place it in the travel case. Is this safe to do? Or should I power off the headset before unplugging? Or is it better to just leave it plugged into the battery at all times while in the case?

Thanks for any input!
I suggest you to consult with Apple Support for proper way to store iGoggle or Apple Goggle (Vision Pro is really a computing goggle based on its form) while not being used to prevent from anything that can damage it. Apple Support has iGoggle subject matter expert on staff. They are more knowledgeable on the product than anyone on this forum. Keep calm, always consult with manufacturer support team for proper maintenance and be happy 😊 Life is too short to be unhappy😊.

martens

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2019
I had a weird experience with this. I had left AVP plugged into battery after shutdown for a few days. I usually plug in a battery pack before a lengthy session with it, and did so last night. Halfway through a movie it reported power was down to 10%. The battery pack was at 100%. Tried disconnecting and reconnecting the cable, still not charging. Took it to a 70W USB C power source, plugged that in, still no charging. Tried shutdown and restart, no charging. Finally disconnected the battery pack from AVP and reconnected. Finally it started charging.

Kierkegaarden

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2018
USA
I had a weird experience with this. I had left AVP plugged into battery after shutdown for a few days. I usually plug in a battery pack before a lengthy session with it, and did so last night. Halfway through a movie it reported power was down to 10%. The battery pack was at 100%. Tried disconnecting and reconnecting the cable, still not charging. Took it to a 70W USB C power source, plugged that in, still no charging. Tried shutdown and restart, no charging. Finally disconnected the battery pack from AVP and reconnected. Finally it started charging.
That is odd — definitely report this to Apple. Not sure if VisionOS 1.1 fixes this bug.

martens

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2019
visionOS 1.1 installed last night. After that, had to disconnect battery pack and reconnect it before it would charge, but that's the behavior I'm used to. Will see if issue recurs but it was a somewhat unusual set of circumstances.

TLewis

macrumors 65816
Sep 19, 2007
You're not the first person to report this, and the workaround was to disconnect and reconnect the battery (just as you did).

It's very odd. Is this a VisionOS problem or a battery hardware/firmware problem? Is it even possible to update any battery firmware?

OnTheeRize

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2015
Bay Area
I figured the dots on the battery cable dial meant “off” and “on” so when done using AVP I just remove from head and turn dial to “off” and unplug battery.

hopefully I’m not messing it up by not formally going shut down route

Dovahkiing

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2013
Has anyone seen the cycle rating for the VP batteries? With heavy use a battery might be recharged 2-3 times a day which means you could hit ~1000 cycles within a year. Given the cost of the batteries it seems that leaving the battery attached all the time would be a mistake. My routine is to disconnect when not in use and recharge immediately even if not completely discharged avoiding the need for a full recharge. Recharging after a full discharge can be detrimental to battery life if you can avoid it.

Don't know how charging the battery when using it affects battery life.
FWIW it's been reported a bunch of places that Apple is restricting the battery cells to 80% of their actual charge capacity as "100%". This should help a lot with battery health over time.

fatTribble

macrumors 65816
Sep 21, 2018
Ohio
I figured the dots on the battery cable dial meant “off” and “on” so when done using AVP I just remove from head and turn dial to “off” and unplug battery.

hopefully I’m not messing it up by not formally going shut down route
Honestly, I would shut it off through software before removing the battery. Give the OS the chance to save everything and clean up anything it needs to. Most people wouldn’t shut down their desktop by pulling the plug. Just my advice.

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
Quinn from SnazzyLabs did a good summary here at about 12:45

Thanks. I had seen that. I was interpreting it differently. The 80% charging limit on devices is a software option which limits a device to an 80% charge of the whole battery. In this case we're talking about a battery itself which is configured larger than the 100% so that when the device thinks that the battery is 100% it actually is 80%.

The net effect is the same - charging to 80%. Good point.

Reactions: AdonisSMU

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
The rep I spoke with advised that the AVP is intended to be left plugged in and on, charging and updating messages, emails, apps, etc.--just like my Mac is. And, as someone else noted, this advice is echoed in the User Guide.

Where is it in the user guide?

Macaholic868

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2017
I’ve read conflicting to reports so I’ve been placing it top of a dresser drawer we have in the back of our living room turned on and connected to the battery which is connected to power without the front cover on. When I first got it the device I was turning it off every night, disconnecting the battery but leaving the battery plugged into power and would put on the cover.

I haven’t had any issues leaving it on like that. The only time I’ve had to do a hard restart sine v1.1 shipped was about an hour ago when I put on the device and couldn’t navigate using my eyes. A hard restart didn’t do it but after searching Google I found an article that said you can invoke the eye and hand setup by pressing the top button (not the Digital Crown) 4 times to invoke the hand and eye setup process and that did the trick. Previously when the eye tracking was off I could still manager to navigate to the Settings app to invoke but this time around it was too out of wack for that to work. It’s only an issue after swapping out my optical inserts when I wear contacts or vice versa after I’ve removed the contacts and put the optical inserts back in.

mpetrides

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2007
Where is it in the user guide?
https://support.apple.com/guide/apple-vision-pro/charge-the-battery-tancf125362f/visionos

(I've boldfaced the relevant paragraph below.)

Charge the Apple Vision Pro battery and check the battery level

You can use Apple Vision Pro while charging the battery, but be aware of the USB-C Charge Cable as you move around. When you’re syncing with iCloud or using Apple Vision Pro, it may take longer to charge the battery.

Note: When Apple Vision Pro is not in use, it’s best to keep your battery connected to a power outlet, as Apple Vision Pro continues syncing all your messages, mail, photos, and more. This helps ensure your content is up to date, and your battery is full, the next time you put on Apple Vision Pro.

To understand how your battery works so you can get the most out of it, see the Apple Lithium-ion Batteries website.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.