Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

p4ttythep3rf3ct

macrumors newbie
Jan 21, 2024
I just take it off and put it on my desk still plugged in, no dust cover, no case, nothin'. I do have a vented glass protector on the front so Im not too concerned with accidental scratches. Sometimes I drape the polish cloth over the interior side to keep dust from settling on the lenses, but not usually....it's kinda whatever. I mean, I get that it's an expensive piece of hardware, but it's just another set of VR gogs to me...no point dealing with any pomp and circumstance just to put them on my face when I need to, ya know?

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
Just before "Crackgate" became a thing, I called AppleCare specifically to ask about this issue. The rep I spoke with advised that the AVP is intended to be left plugged in and on, charging and updating messages, emails, apps, etc.--just like my Mac is. And, as someone else noted, this advice is echoed in the User Guide.

So, I had been putting the cover on my AVP, putting it into Apple's case, and plugging the still-attached battery into the wall. Doing this I did note that about half the time, by the the next morning, the AVP was warm to the touch and this concerned me a bit. Then along came Crackgate

So, after anguishing over Crackgate and reading through the messages here, these are my takeaways and my current gameplan.

1. I will no longer put the cover on the AVP until it has had time to cool down.

2. Instead of storing the AVP overnight in its case with the cover on and battery attached, I will instead protect the front of the AVP with the provided cleaning cloth, taking care not to block the vents and not use the cover. And I will continue to store it with the battery attached and plugged into the wall charger. Unless I will be out of the house and unable to police my rambunctious dog, I will leave the case open.

3. The above will not completely avoid blocking the vents, since some of the vent space is covered by contact with Apple case itself.

4. Using a stand will not work, since I have a very rambunctious dog who manages to get to objects even when I think I have placed them well out of his reach--hence the need for a case.

Hopefully these changes in my behavior will protect my AVP from cracking, if indeed the cracks are the result of thermal stress due to storage plugged in and left on.

Any comments and/or additional suggestions would be appreciated.
I've been putting the included cover on only after shutting it down, disconnecting the battery, and allowing it to cool down.

If I take it off and leave it in sleep mode, I don't obstruct the vents at all, but I will cover the internal lenses with the included microfiber cloth or a similar one. And when I know it's not going to be used for many hours, I'll just shut it down and disconnect the battery.

I'll get more confident about leaving it running (sleep) if and when Apple comments on crackgate or if I see no evidence of it occurring on mine (and I do have AppleCare just in case).

I've been using the AVP packaging's holder as a makeshift stand for my desk until I decide on something more permanent. I'm waiting for more options to come it.

OnTheeRize

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2015
Bay Area
What I do now is ask siri to "turn vision pro off". Once it is off I unplug the battery dial and let it cool for a few minutes. Then I put it in its case.

Reactions: xraydoc
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.