Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Juan007

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 14, 2010
Incredible feature, the future is now. Soon we won't even need wallets.

Payment is just the beginning. Car keys, house keys, drivers license, airline tickets... Apple Pay (they may have to rename it at some point, once it goes beyond just payment) will handle all of them. What an invention!

Cindori

macrumors 68040
Jan 17, 2008
Sweden
Yeah, not really sure that I'd ever want to keep my car keys, drivers license and passport on a battery powered device...

And the Apple Watch already does tickets. Just open the Passbook app.

ZebraDude

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2014
Naperville, IL

Payment is just the beginning. Car keys, house keys, drivers license, airline tickets... Apple Pay (they may have to rename it at some point, once it goes beyond just payment) will handle all of them. What an invention!

don't get to excited! Sadly Many Banks still are not participating (many are smaller banks) (Apple takes a cut on each transaction and Banks are not excited about that)

Many Merchants are still on the sidelines including some of the Big Boys! (Walmart, CostCo...)

Don't take me wrong I LOVE APPLE PAY I'm a Banker and it is the BEST thing for the consumer (very secure). I'm hoping that within 20 years more banks will join up!

Blackstick

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2014
OH
Merchants will eventually have to follow the almighty dollar, which is on people's smart phone... their internal, merchant-centric efforts with ugly half-measures like CurrentC and other one-off creations will not succeed when the Big 3 tech companies have already chosen their horse.

dexterbell

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2015

Yep, and then hackers will have complete control over your car, house and bank account. Have fun with that future boy!

extricated

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2011
Arkansas
Today I paid for gin and beer with my watch. This is the future, alright!
#winning!

Unfortunately, my bank STILL doesn't support Apple Pay.
It's an awesome (but relatively small) bank. I called the main office and they said they're working on it. Really looking forward to it.

There are so many possibilties for the future!

bruinsrme

macrumors 604
Oct 26, 2008
Yep. The 5S won't have Apple Pay but the watch will, it just relies on the secure chip inside the watch, while the iPhone will handle sync.

You can use an :apple:Watch but you can't use a 5S.

Thank you.

Went to Vegas last year amp d my wife dropped her phone at the slots.
We are going back next month. I figured with the watch being the same price as the phone I would give the watch a try.

AlliFlowers

macrumors 601
Jan 1, 2011
L.A. (Lower Alabama)
Used my Apple Watch today at Starbucks. This kind of thing is a lifesaver for me. I use a cane to get around, which leaves me with one hand. Even carrying my phone to the counter means I can't take anything else and have to find a seat before I can get my tea or whatever.

I'm very happy!

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
I've used the watch several times now for  Pay.

Twice at the Apple Store (once to pay for AppleCare+ for my watch, once for my wife's), once at Walgreens and twice at the drink vending machine at work.

Also once at Starbucks (technically not  Pay, but you get the idea) and will use it tomorrow for Fandango movie tickets.

Sodner

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
I used Apple Pay again on the watch this time at Foot Locker and the guy waiting on me was like "That's new! I've seen people use there iPhone but you're the first with a watch." Cool huh?! It's so convenient it's amazing.

Oppressed

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2010
Used it several times so far at Walt Disney World. Consistently blowing minds.

CrAkD

macrumors 68040
Feb 15, 2010
Boston, MA
I've been using it everywhere lately. Paid at Starbucks with the Starbucks app guy was puzzled to scan my watch at the drive thru then bought groceries at shaws thru Apple pay. Future is now!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.