Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kdarling

macrumors P6
I'm tempted to go to mcdonalds just to use apple pay haha.

Ha! It's funny how McDonald's has become a beneficiary of being an easy to find NFC payment test site.

Wasn't there a chart where most of Apple Pay usages were at McD's (and Whole Foods)?

Interestingly, it was the same way back when Google Wallet first came out.

For both Google and Apple, the first NFC payment videos on YouTube were done at a McDonald's !

jabij1

macrumors member
Oct 6, 2012
Ha! It's funny how McDonald's has become a beneficiary of being an easy to find NFC payment test site.

Wasn't there a chart where most of Apple Pay usages were at McD's (and Whole Foods)?

Interestingly, it was the same way back when Google Wallet first came out.

For both Google and Apple, the first NFC payment videos on YouTube were done at a McDonald's !

I used my watch to pay for a mcflurry the other day and the manager asked if I bought it just to try out the watch. I told him no have tried it a couple times now, I just wanted a mcflurry geeze.

NikkiAngel

macrumors member
Apr 18, 2015
Buffalo, NY
I've used the watch several times now for  Pay.

Twice at the Apple Store (once to pay for AppleCare+ for my watch, once for my wife's), once at Walgreens and twice at the drink vending machine at work.

Also once at Starbucks (technically not  Pay, but you get the idea) and will use it tomorrow for Fandango movie tickets.

Vending machines take it??? Wow. That's awesome :eek:

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
Costco only accepts cash,check or American Express. They don't deal with any bank that charges them a fee.

Source? Amex can't afford to give cash back on their cards if they don't get transaction fees from Costco so I'm pretty sure they do charge transaction fees, albeit at a reduced rate. In fact, Costco pressed too hard and Amex balked, leaving them to switch to Visa starting next year.

Redenkeew

macrumors member
Aug 2, 2010
NYC
Vending machines take it??? Wow. That's awesome :eek:

There are a ton of vending machines that support NFC. They have that around my university and malls years ago. I actually tried to buy a bag of M&M from a vending machine when :apple: Pay was first available last year :cool::p

Denmac1

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2007
Lost in Space
I absolutely love Apple Pay...I just wish more merchants had it.

This should grow. Discover has now signed on and I believe more banks will follow suit. It may be due to their particular infrastructure where they need to set up their software to process the token credit card #.

Saskataper

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2014
I just wish our banks would bring in apple pay to canada. We've had NFC payments for a while and it's become commonplace, I can tap to pay at the corner store.

ZebraDude

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2014
Naperville, IL
This should grow. Discover has now signed on and I believe more banks will follow suit. It may be due to their particular infrastructure where they need to set up their software to process the token credit card #.

That and Apple had to get greedy and they require a "cut" with each transaction. I believe it is .05 for each. Seems small but adds up!

chiffchaff

macrumors member
Mar 17, 2012
Western US
I used it to buy groceries yesterday. It was so quick that the checker didn't even notice how I'd paid. She was reaching for an item and I was done before she turned back.

Using my phone was fun, convenient and secure - but by the time I positioned it over the reader and held my thumb on the button, only slightly quicker than pulling out and swiping a card. (My phone is in a folio case and my card is in there too). Using the watch is really simple and much faster!

Docsteel

macrumors member
Apr 29, 2015
Yeah, not really sure that I'd ever want to keep my car keys, drivers license and passport on a battery powered device...

And the Apple Watch already does tickets. Just open the Passbook app.

You kind of proved the point - it's on the phone today, a feature many depend on already. Many people freaked over having Apple Pay through a phone and airline passes, but here we are. With the next shift in common technology applications towards the Internet of Things the Watch will be the most convenient and natural interface, less so the smart phone which will increasingly be seen as "old school". Strangely, many people are missing this point (even reviewers) that this is the future, and while the full potential of the smart watch is only just becoming apparent it (or some other forms of wearable) is unquestionably going to be every bit as necessary as our phones today.

gijoeinla

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
Correct. Costco takes all major debit cards but only American Express credit cards, and starting next year they'll switch to Visa credit cards.

Costco takes ALL debit cards - ONLY has its same as cash.

What's changing is that for CREDIT purchases you'll soon be able to use VISA branded CREDIT cards as well. So if the costco terminal takes NFC and your using a branded Visa card it will soon work at Costco for CREDIT PURPOSES. Today ANY debit card works.

KauaiBruce

macrumors 65816
Jul 5, 2007
Kauai, HI
Used my Apple Watch today at Starbucks. This kind of thing is a lifesaver for me. I use a cane to get around, which leaves me with one hand. Even carrying my phone to the counter means I can't take anything else and have to find a seat before I can get my tea or whatever.

I'm very happy!

I like how it notifies you when you drive near a Starbucks so you only need to swipe down to get to the Starbucks barcode. Of course, NOW that it is so easy I will be using Starbucks far less because my job transferred me away from them. I used them mostly because they were just a few steps from where I worked and it was the only way to get coffee.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
Costco takes ALL debit cards - ONLY has its same as cash.

What's changing is that for CREDIT purchases you'll soon be able to use VISA branded CREDIT cards as well. So if the costco terminal takes NFC and your using a branded Visa card it will soon work at Costco for CREDIT PURPOSES. Today ANY debit card works.

That's exactly what I said.

TAZ911

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2014
No! it is totally free. The catch is your bank has to support it!

Nothing is free. The transaction fee comes form the seller, just like every other credit card swipe. In that Apple Pay is no different. I think that the swipe fee is just much smaller than Amex, Visa or MC till it gets established as a norm. Much like the other CC names those fees will rise if the transaction mode becomes a refs to of sorts. WAAAAAAAAY too much money to be left on the table for Apple to not switch to a set min or a percent of the total transaction. Eventually the consumer will see those costs passed on.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
don't get to excited! Sadly Many Banks still are not participating (many are smaller banks) (Apple takes a cut on each transaction and Banks are not excited about that)

Many Merchants are still on the sidelines including some of the Big Boys! (Walmart, CostCo...)

Don't take me wrong I LOVE APPLE PAY I'm a Banker and it is the BEST thing for the consumer (very secure). I'm hoping that within 20 years more banks will join up!

That and Apple had to get greedy and they require a "cut" with each transaction. I believe it is .05 for each. Seems small but adds up!

Being a banker, why do you assume banks aren't excited about Apple Pay? Guess who's responsible for the fraudulent charges whenever there's a mass breach? That's right, you are. So instead of paying for those fraudulent charges as well as the cost of running real-time fraud alerts/point of sale fraud monitoring, you're paying a smaller amount to Apple to result in fewer incidents of such activities. So much for Apple's "greed."

TAZ911

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2014
Being a banker, why do you assume banks aren't excited about Apple Pay? Guess who's responsible for the fraudulent charges whenever there's a mass breach? That's right, you are. So instead of paying for those fraudulent charges as well as the cost of running real-time fraud alerts/point of sale fraud monitoring, you're paying a smaller amount to Apple to result in fewer incidents of such activities. So much for Apple's "greed."

They are not excited about ApplePay because it costs them $$. The fraudulent charges are covered by insurance while the new fees come from profit. These banks can't drop fraud coverage so it's extra money from their bottom line. It's simple math. Right now they don't have to sign on cause it's not a big means of payment. That will eventually change and they will have to sign up or go the way of the dodo bird. How many banks are out here that don't handle CC transactions???

As for security. Nothing is fool proof. ApplePay is better than most for NOW. Fraud, identity theft and other cyber crimes are an ongoing battle. What works today is the root cause for failure tomorrow.

Raggamuffin

macrumors newbie
Apr 12, 2015
Is Apple Pay Accepted At All NFC Locations?

I tried to use my apple watch at a Valero Gas station today and it didn't work. They accept NFC payments and the clerk said it goes offline all the time. I didn't see anything about apple pay specifically advertised. Does Apple Pay work everywhere NFC any Google Pay are accepted? It worked for me at McDonalds the other day,so I know it's setup correctly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.