Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
They are not excited about ApplePay because it costs them $$. The fraudulent charges are covered by insurance while the new fees come from profit. These banks can't drop fraud coverage so it's extra money from their bottom line. It's simple math. Right now they don't have to sign on cause it's not a big means of payment. That will eventually change and they will have to sign up or go the way of the dodo bird. How many banks are out here that don't handle CC transactions???

As for security. Nothing is fool proof. ApplePay is better than most for NOW. Fraud, identity theft and other cyber crimes are an ongoing battle. What works today is the root cause for failure tomorrow.

I didn't know that banks actually use insurance to cover fraudulent charges, but if Apple Pay results in fewer mass data breaches (or rather, fewer customers affected by such breaches), wouldn't it result in cheaper insurance premiums? They do pay the insurance premiums from profit after all.

AlliFlowers

macrumors 601
Jan 1, 2011
L.A. (Lower Alabama)
I like how it notifies you when you drive near a Starbucks so you only need to swipe down to get to the Starbucks barcode. Of course, NOW that it is so easy I will be using Starbucks far less because my job transferred me away from them. I used them mostly because they were just a few steps from where I worked and it was the only way to get coffee.

Shame. I only go to Starbucks once a week. I started going because of the app, passbook, and the rewards. They just made it too easy. If Panera or Atlanta bread did the same kind of thing, I'd probably give up on Starbucks.

Stoneyman

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2009
When paying with your watch do you have to select a payment type first (credit, debit... So on) or do you just double clock the side button and hold it up at any point?

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
When paying with your watch do you have to select a payment type first (credit, debit... So on) or do you just double clock the side button and hold it up at any point?

Double clicking the side button will automatically bring up the default card (which you preselect in settings), but you can always switch to a different card on the fly.

dandrewk

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2010
San Rafael, California
A certain percentage of every credit card transaction goes to the banks and card issuer. The exact percentage depends on the total amount of transactions and the number of transactions. For new/small retailers, it can be as high as 5%. For someone like Costco, it's much, much smaller.

This fee is split several ways. A certain percentage goes to the card owner's bank, another to the retailer's bank, and another to Visa/MC/AX etc. Apple (or any NFC vendor) will take another cut out of this fee. This cut does NOT come from the retailer, so there is zero downside for them to adopt NFC payments.

In fact, it's a great benefit for larger retailers as the time involved for each transaction is reduced. There is no time wasted with swiping cards, "let me see the back of your card/signature verification", printing out the charge slip, signing the slip, and then dealing the paperwork. It's just one click, a beep, and done!

The banks and Visa/MC/EX are happy to give Apple a small cut because it cuts way down on fraudulent charges. So much so that American Express is actively encouraging the usage of Apple Pay with their new 30 second national TV ads.

Make no mistake, this IS the future. Whether it's Apple Pay or some other NFC vendor, plastic cards will slowly disappear.

Stoneyman

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2009
Double clicking the side button will automatically bring up the default card (which you preselect in settings), but you can always switch to a different card on the fly.

Thanks for that info. I guess what I was curious about was on the terminal side. Do I select the card type that matches the card type on the Apple watch or does it auto detect the card type when I hold the watch near the reader? Sorry for not being completely clear on that...

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
Thanks for that info. I guess what I was curious about was on the terminal side. Do I select the card type that matches the card type on the Apple watch or does it auto detect the card type when I hold the watch near the reader? Sorry for not being completely clear on that...

You do that before the fact. You select "Credit" on the terminal (or inform the cashier that you'd like to pay with credit if using a CC), then pay with your Watch with the appropriate card. If you normally pay with a particular card on a regular basis, then you pre-select that as the default card in settings. You can do this with any supported card, whether credit or debit.

jonfarr

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2012
Portland
The decision to accept Apple Pay lies squarely with Costco, as both Amex and Visa support Apple Pay.

Agreed, but I'm sure Costco will be updating their terminals when they make the switch and will probably have NFC capabilities. Time will tell if they allow it to be used.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
I used my watch to pay at Starbucks today. It was pretty cool and really straight forward.

I can't wait for Apple pay to come to the UK.

ZebraDude

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2014
Naperville, IL
They are not excited about ApplePay because it costs them $$. The fraudulent charges are covered by insurance while the new fees come from profit. These banks can't drop fraud coverage so it's extra money from their bottom line. It's simple math. Right now they don't have to sign on cause it's not a big means of payment. That will eventually change and they will have to sign up or go the way of the dodo bird. How many banks are out here that don't handle CC transactions???

As for security. Nothing is fool proof. ApplePay is better than most for NOW. Fraud, identity theft and other cyber crimes are an ongoing battle. What works today is the root cause for failure tomorrow.

I just returned home! Taz stated it perfectly. I could not have stated it better!

:cool:

----------

Agreed, but I'm sure Costco will be updating their terminals when they make the switch and will probably have NFC capabilities. Time will tell if they allow it to be used.

Well CostCo and Apple have not had the best relationship. CostCo did not carry Apple Products till just the last couple of years. I am rooting for this to happen as a consumer. I am in Banking Management as well as a banking consumer and my Debit Card has been compromised 3 times over the last couple of years!

:eek::mad::eek:

xthine

macrumors 6502
Apr 29, 2015
USA
Was at Sprouts and couldn't get it to work. Screen just said READY, ended up pulling out my iPhone 6. I did it wrong looks like, didn't turn the watch screen towards the reader (just held it beside the reader). Will try again next time.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
I just returned home! Taz stated it perfectly. I could not have stated it better!

:cool:

While banks may not be able to drop fraud coverage, they do pay the fraud insurance premiums from profit. They also have to pay for point of sale fraud monitoring from profit. Supporting Apple Pay should in theory lead to a decrease in insurance premiums (fewer customers affected in major data breaches) and less extensive fraud monitoring, which cuts down on costs.

I think your assertion that banks are not happy about having to pay the Apple Pay fees is overstated.

LxTxNx

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2007
I've used it since the day I received it. Whole foods, Peet's coffee and tea, at&t store, Jamba Juice. Love the feature! Haven't tried with w/out my iPhone yet.

ZebraDude

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2014
Naperville, IL
While banks may not be able to drop fraud coverage, they do pay the fraud insurance premiums from profit. They also have to pay for point of sale fraud monitoring from profit. Supporting Apple Pay should in theory lead to a decrease in insurance premiums (fewer customers affected in major data breaches) and less extensive fraud monitoring, which cuts down on costs.

I think your assertion that banks are not happy about having to pay the Apple Pay fees is overstated.

Jay,

I agree with what you are saying. The issue that I have run into at the bank I work for as well as the one that I bank at is they do not understand or believe in Apple Pay and I will continue to plug away till they do.

Some Banks Get it and others still are on the sidelines!

:eek:

Jason83

macrumors regular
Sep 30, 2014
PA, USA
I love being able to use my watch for payment. My first and so far only hiccup came last night at Wendy's, their machine was malfunctioning. It's an outdoor unit at the 1st drive thru window. So until they fix that, I either must go inside or pray it's a shift where they're doing payment and delivery at the 2nd window.

ttate90303

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2008
California
I've been using Apple Pay at my local grocery store Sprouts for a while now (since they updated their POS to support it) and used my watch last week. So much easier then pulling out my phone! Spoiled I know, but love the simplicity. The future is here.

Juan007

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 14, 2010
Worked flawlessly for me at Sprouts.

I actually had issues before with my iPhone at Sprouts, but my watch worked fine. I suspect some of the terminals may be broken. You need to hold the watch / phone up to the black scanner thing with the lights (not the LCD display).

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
don't get to excited! Sadly Many Banks still are not participating (many are smaller banks) (Apple takes a cut on each transaction and Banks are not excited about that)

Many Merchants are still on the sidelines including some of the Big Boys! (Walmart, CostCo...)

Don't take me wrong I LOVE APPLE PAY I'm a Banker and it is the BEST thing for the consumer (very secure). I'm hoping that within 20 years more banks will join up!

Best Buy, a MAJOR player in CurrentC, just announced they are going to be backing Apple Pay. This goes counter to what they've been saying since the service was announced, because they realize it's much better for their business.

The banks will fall in line too, because it's cheaper to deal with Apple Pay than constantly pay for all the identity theft cases. Yes, we've seen that can still happen, but it's going to be a lot less in the coming years because of things like Apple Pay.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.