Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
You should be able to turn on/off the lighting and change the pattern,
Yeah, I posted that out of ignorance and now see that I have a number of hot keys that I can use to manage the lighting.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Reactions: xraydoc

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
So I ordered the Q6 via Amazon

Here's both the Q3 and Q6 together. Amazon only had the dial version, which I'm not exactly jazzed up over - especially since that messes up the lineup of the function keys but there are advantages to ordering via Amazon, i.e., returns.

Also the box that contained the keyboard was set up in a way that it it appeared the keyboard was just thrown into it, and not carefully organized. I don't mean the amazon box but the keychron box. I'm wondering if this keyboard appears is used. I don't see any wear and tear on it, there's no dust or dirt but it wasn't packed neatly into the box. Plus the windows keys were already installed, which I believe Keychron ships these setup for Macs by default.

Generally with that aside, the keyboard is solid, it as the num pads, and while the color is a bit different, I think it looks sharp.

1670941779342.png

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
So I ordered the Q6 via Amazon

Here's both the Q3 and Q6 together. Amazon only had the dial version, which I'm not exactly jazzed up over - especially since that messes up the lineup of the function keys but there are advantages to ordering via Amazon, i.e., returns.

Also the box that contained the keyboard was set up in a way that it it appeared the keyboard was just thrown into it, and not carefully organized. I don't mean the amazon box but the keychron box. I'm wondering if this keyboard appears is used. I don't see any wear and tear on it, there's no dust or dirt but it wasn't packed neatly into the box. Plus the windows keys were already installed, which I believe Keychron ships these setup for Macs by default.

Generally with that aside, the keyboard is solid, it as the num pads, and while the color is a bit different, I think it looks sharp.

View attachment 2127722
Check out the Q5. You might like the smaller size, yet keeps the num pad.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
Check out the Q5. You might like the smaller size, yet keeps the num pad.
Thanks, I'm pretty happy with the Q6, and I like the full size non-cramp setup. I'm just on the fence, as to whether I should initiate an exchange.

As I posted there's a couple clues that seem to indicate its "lightly used" as someone mentioned. The keyboard is in excellent shape, it works, and I see no other evidence that its used

If it was lightly used, by the time I get the ball rolling for the exchange, i.e., returning this, and re-buying the same keyboard, who's to say that the xmas returns will cause the same thing to happen ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
Thanks, I'm pretty happy with the Q6, and I like the full size non-cramp setup. I'm just on the fence, as to whether I should initiate an exchange.

As I posted there's a couple clues that seem to indicate its "lightly used" as someone mentioned. The keyboard is in excellent shape, it works, and I see no other evidence that its used

If it was lightly used, by the time I get the ball rolling for the exchange, i.e., returning this, and re-buying the same keyboard, who's to say that the xmas returns will cause the same thing to happen ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Yeah, that's weird. Amazon is doing some shady stuff lately.

eltoslightfoot

macrumors 68020
Feb 25, 2011
6B7C07D2-F5B0-4C92-ACB2-C0BAA413F503.jpeg

Love, love, love my Keychron K3 with brown switches.

I am considering another one for my office office (I am stuck in my home office due to a blizzard).

BotchQue

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2019
Will be "watching" this thread.

I first got a Keychron K4 with Gateron "browns", absolutely loved the feel but the 90% format took some getting used to; it has a full keypad (being a retired engineer I touch-type on a numpad, and would hate to give that up). It also has full-sized Arrow keys, but they're not on a separate "island" and I sometimes misalign my fingers when using it. I've been toying with the idea of cutting a 1/8" length of mechanical pencil lead, to spot-CA-glue to the bottom of the Down-Arrow key, to register by touch (like the F and J keys have on most keyboards).

Keychron then had a sale on their K5, a low-profile, 100% format model with an aluminum body; got one with Gateron "blues". Its kinda sixes as to which I prefer; I like the feel better on the K4, the sound is a "bit" better on the K5 although the low-profile body loses that acoustic chamber the K4 has. My OCD requires my keyboard to be centered in front of my monitor, and as others have mentioned the 100% keyboard kind of crowds the right-hand side of the desk; even worse for me as I will have an iPad/Pencil on a low-angle Satechi stand also to the right of the keyboard, for photo editing. Add the mouse and you start running out of room. Will be playing with both to see what I end up with (and because the switches are hot-swappable, I could easily swap the browns in for the blues to retain that tactile feedback).

And a question for you other Keychron owners. Every so often I'll walk past my home office and notice that the backlighting on the keyboard is glowing, this seems to happen a couple times a day and then turns off itself within an hour or so. I run corded so I don't worry about draining my battery, and fortunately it does not wake the computer itself. Does this happen to anyone else?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
I got some new keycaps,
I'm liking the look of them with the grey body color of the keyboard.

I kept the macro key caps since the replacement keys didn't have anything that would have worked but overall its a nice look imo

1671213981137.png

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
I got some new keycaps,
I'm liking the look of them with the grey body color of the keyboard.

I kept the macro key caps since the replacement keys didn't have anything that would have worked but overall its a nice look imo

View attachment 2129302
Be careful. It's a slippery slope on the mechanical keyboard hill. You can easily get in very deep! Once you start typing on something so nice, it's very hard to go back, and one wants to keep tweaking it to make it just a little better and better! Pretty soon, you've got 5 keyboards, 7 different keycap sets and a box full of assorted key switches.

Ask me how I know...

BotchQue

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2019
Be careful. It's a slippery slope on the mechanical keyboard hill. You can easily get in very deep! Once you start typing on something so nice, it's very hard to go back, and one wants to keep tweaking it to make it just a little better and better! Pretty soon, you've got 5 keyboards, 7 different keycap sets and a box full of assorted key switches.

Ask me how I know...
Yup. I followed a couple EweTube channels for a bit, and they start using special subframes, case liners like tape, foam, even sand; more switch varieties than you can count; tweaked hinges for the larger keys; special lubes with unicorn tears and eucalyptus for each switch, on and on.

And here's a business idea for anyone who may be interested. Many cars today can get different exhaust sounds when you switch the drive mode from Normal, to Sport, or Ludicrous, or whatever; and often its not from a change in the physical exhaust system, but rather sound files piped into the driver's compartment thru the stereo! It probably wouldn't be too hard to build an app that simulates keystroke sounds thru the computer's speakers on every keystroke, like Gateron browns vs Cherry reds vs Smith-Corona typewriter vs IBM ball thingie vs BlueManGroup PVC vs... you get the idea. Throw in EQ, delay, reverb, customization etc on the Paid version. That could be fun.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
Interesting topic here: Corsair says bug, not keylogger, behind some K100 keyboards’ creepy behavior

I bring it up here related to Keychron, is because in discussing my keyboard, with the possibility of it being used someone mentioned that he'd return it as it could contain a keylogger. Really good point, though I personally think someone infecting a keyboard and returning, has no guarantee that amazon would turn around and resell it.

Regardless, I downloaded the firmware from keychron and reflashed it - concerns gone :)

As for my plight of exchanging this or not, I'm largely leaning towards keeping it. Its a solid keyboard that doesn't show any other signs of usage - other then what I documented when I received the keyboard.

I used Via yesterday to set up some macros, to make my life a lot easier working. Nothing complex, but using the keys to send a series of text that I send over and over in my work life. I use PhraseExpander but in some situations that use of that is blocked by an app, so now I have a very efficient means of sending text

Reactions: eltoslightfoot

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
I got my K5 SE with red Gaterons and it's nice.

I had planned to use it corded but wanted to test the Bluetooth method. It's terrible! Based on another thread here it might be the Mac Studio's issue. Doesn't stay connected. I explained the issue to them very clearly but Keychron wanted me to produce a video of the issue. I guess I could hire a cameraman and editor to record me typing on it, pushing the BT pairing key combo, what happens in BT preferences, etc…but naah!

A couple of things…the USB-C port is on the back and with the cable one needs at least three inches clearance back there. I don't so that was another $5 for a right-angle USB-C cable. The other thing is there's no additional USB port on this keyboard for my wired mouse (like my last one had) so that's another $3 for a USB extension cable. My desk has a 88-key MIDI keyboard in the way and all the cords have to go around it.

Reactions: maflynn

ponzicoinbro

Suspended
Aug 5, 2021
View attachment 2129263
Love, love, love my Keychron K3 with brown switches.

I am considering another one for my office office (I am stuck in my home office due to a blizzard).

That's the best low profile mechanical keyboard I've used. It has amazing responsiveness and it is quieter than the Apple Magic Keyboard.

I removed the little spring trigger inside the lighting presets and screen capture keys. Users complain that they accidentally hit these keys and Keychron published a reversible trick to disable them mechanically.

You can disable them or make them less sensitive.

eltoslightfoot

macrumors 68020
Feb 25, 2011
That's the best low profile mechanical keyboard I've used. It has amazing responsiveness and it is quieter than the Apple Magic Keyboard.

I removed the little spring trigger inside the lighting presets and screen capture keys. Users complain that they accidentally hit these keys and Keychron published a reversible trick to disable them mechanically.

You can disable them or make them less sensitive.

That’s cool, I didn’t know that…

Also, if you want to check battery life, it’s Fn+B. If it’s the white one like mine, the level of brightness indicates battery level. RGB does something different.

Reactions: ponzicoinbro

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire
Nice, I'm still obsessing over the numpad. Its funny, I avoid laptops with a full keyboard, but I'm having trouble giving it up on my main keyboard. Most of the time, I'm not using the numpad, and overall, it seems the enthusiest keyboard world is more about 60 to 80% sized keyboard and the full size is a redheaded step child - The TKL looks cleaner imo

View attachment 2117623
Definitely love the TKL. If you feel you might miss the number pad, you can always buy just the number pad separately. My favorite keyboard is my Filco TKL with Cherry Reds. I do have a separate number pad as well.
1604F55D-93D1-4EEE-B122-3CC5959AB373.jpeg
B5928921-DA38-4E28-B662-8E68DC693F56.jpeg

BrownyQ

macrumors 6502
Dec 13, 2021
USA
I actually picked up a C1 model for work. It's been a bit of an adjustment going from the Magic Keyboard to this, but a good adjustment.

This is my first mechanical keyboard ever, having always used the included hardware with any machine I've owned (or just buying a Logitech set on the cheap). Over time, I think I'll come to understand the appeal; as someone who types a lot, both at work and at home as a hobby. I imagine before long I'll want another for home use.

eltoslightfoot

macrumors 68020
Feb 25, 2011
I actually picked up a C1 model for work. It's been a bit of an adjustment going from the Magic Keyboard to this, but a good adjustment.

This is my first mechanical keyboard ever, having always used the included hardware with any machine I've owned (or just buying a Logitech set on the cheap). Over time, I think I'll come to understand the appeal; as someone who types a lot, both at work and at home as a hobby. I imagine before long I'll want another for home use.
It can get addicting, I already bought another one for my office setup. ;)

• Haha
Reactions: BrownyQ

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
Keychron just released their Q0 Plus numeric keypad with dial and multiple function/macro keys. This will make a very nice addition to the Q1 I use on my Mac. Ordered it with tactile brown switches to match my Q1.

I have a Q5 with dial on my work PC, so I'm set with a keypad there. But on my Mac, I only need it periodically, so the ability to move it out of the way will be very nice.

Last edited:

FFabian

macrumors regular
Aug 26, 2010
Bochum, Germany
I’m waiting for the K3 Pro with ISO-DE layout. I want the PBT keycaps as I hate that my K2 ABS keycaps got all shiny. Hopefully it gets released soon. I need the öüäß characters for work. ANSI layout is too much of a hassle.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
Keychron just released their Q0 Plus numeric keypad
I saw that. I’m not sure if I’m tempted. It might be a a nice addition to the Q3 that I’m not using
I have a Q5 with dial on my work PC
I’m loving the Q6. Glad I but the builder and got this. I have macros assigned to extra keys and that’s a game changer

The first set of new replacement keys I bought and posted here were a little disappointing. I think they were ABs and I didn’t like the feel. I have a different set from Drop and I’m happy with them

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
I saw that. I’m not sure if I’m tempted. It might be a a nice addition to the Q3 that I’m not using

I’m loving the Q6. Glad I but the builder and got this. I have macros assigned to extra keys and that’s a game changer

The first set of new replacement keys I bought and posted here were a little disappointing. I think they were ABs and I didn’t like the feel. I have a different set from Drop and I’m happy with them
The Q0 will give me essentially 9 macro keys (the M1-5 keys plus the four symbol keys on the top row), which will be nice. I plan on making some of them enter frequently used email addresses and screenshot combos, and will assign two to Home/End (the End key will be nice, actually, as the Q1 doesn't actually have an End key - just Home, Pg Up, Pg Dn). The rotary knob I think I'll leave set for volume up/down/mute.

Last edited:
Reactions: maflynn

BrownyQ

macrumors 6502
Dec 13, 2021
USA
So a month later, I am now the owner of two C1 (brown switch) models, the new one for home use. I was torn at first, but I shelved the Magic Keyboard that came with my iMac, even if it meant giving up the Touch ID button.

I absolutely love how they feel when I type. Both at home and work, the typing experience is so much more enjoyable. I constantly look for more work to do just so I can hack away at the keyboard more, while at home, I find myself journaling for much, much longer. It's actually become hard to stop writing, rather than start!

These have been some of the best purchases I've made for my computers in a long time, and it blows my mind it took this long to get a mechanical keyboard.

Reactions: xraydoc

tstafford

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2022
I don't have enough addictions so I'm thinking about crossing over to the mechanical keyboard world. Currently using an MX Keys which I like a heck of a lot better than the Apple Magic Keyboard which I also have on my desk so I can use the TouchID.

Requirements for me are backlit, numeric keypad and wireless. Considering the Keychron K4 Pro, RGB backlight, brown switches. (On AMZN for $99 and one day shipping) Is this a good entry point in to mechanical keyboards? Without the ability to test a bunch of them I'm kind of guessing.

Any recommendations and advice would be welcomed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.