Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
I love those keycaps. It reminds me of keycaps from those old IBM beamspring keyboards.
It definitely has the feel of legacy IBM keyboards.

I had another set of keycaps (mentioned earlier in this thread). I loved the look, but they felt, sounded more like ABT and it offered a higher clicky sound. Particularly the larger keys like the numbpad enter key. I actually started to loath hitting that key, because it felt and sounded to horrible.

I'm generally happy with this set, and I'll probably stick with this for the time being.

Reactions: StellarVixen

fdw777

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2012
Couple of questions:
  • Did you order the aluminum or plastic version?
  • What keyboard are you coming off of?
1. Aluminum-
Keychron K2 Pro Wireless & Wired RGB Custom Mechanical Keyboard with Hot-swappable K Pro Brown Switch, QMK/VIA Programmable Macro, 75% Layout Aluminum...
61ifjM1Ax5L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

2. Apple Wireless Keyboard with Bluetooth - Silver
61jQOQBJ9ZL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
Here's what I currently have for keycaps - from drop.com. Susuwatari

Its an MT3 style keycap and as I was putting the keycaps on, I was having some significant doubts, its a higher profile keycap with deeper finger indents, but now that I've been using it for about a month, its good.
View attachment 2156450
Very sharp indeed. One day I'll give the MT3 style keycaps a try.

Reactions: eltoslightfoot

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
Keychron released the Q12, a keyboard with the num pad on the left.
4345781C-33D4-4DDB-9702-3DEAD782CBA9.jpeg

Just bought myself one to replace my K4 at the office. I’m (mostly) right handed but mouse space on the right is limited on my desk at work, so this will fit the bill nicely. And fortunately I’m competent at punching numbers with my left hand.

Looking forward to receiving it.

These guys are releasing a new keyboard like every couple weeks these days!

tstafford

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2022
Keychron released the Q12, a keyboard with the num pad on the left.

Just bought myself one to replace my K4 at the office. I’m (mostly) right handed but mouse space on the right is limited on my desk at work, so this will fit the bill nicely. And fortunately I’m competent at punching numbers with my left hand.

Looking forward to receiving it.

These guys are releasing a new keyboard like every couple weeks these days!
Whoa. That would take some getting used to! I'm a big number key guy and I don't think my left hand would behave at all.

BrownyQ

macrumors 6502
Dec 13, 2021
USA
Question for you chaps with the wooden rests... how comfortable do you find them for prolonged typing sessions?

I got a pair of cheap foam rests, and they're perfectly fine, but I cannot deny the visual appeal of the wood offerings from Keychron themselves.

eltoslightfoot

macrumors 68020
Feb 25, 2011
Question for you chaps with the wooden rests... how comfortable do you find them for prolonged typing sessions?

I got a pair of cheap foam rests, and they're perfectly fine, but I cannot deny the visual appeal of the wood offerings from Keychron themselves.
I have the glorious gaming wood one from amazon (I believe that the keys should be the same height as the rest) and I can use it all day with no issue.

Reactions: BrownyQ

klky

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2015

I got the official Keychron one designed for their low profile boards. I half expected to not like it but it’s surprisingly comfortable. They come with thin rubber pads on the bottom that keep them from sliding around.

Reactions: BrownyQ

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005

No troubles at all.

fdw777

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2012
Hello all I just received my new K2 Pro and really love it. Except I can not figure out how to get the KEYS backlit to come on. The lights under the keys are on and can change the colors using the key in the upper right of the keyboard that look like a light.

The keyboard is:
Keychron K2 Pro (New)
Swappable RGB Backlit Aluminum
Brown Switch

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
Hello all I just received my new K2 Pro and really love it. Except I can not figure out how to get the KEYS backlit to come on. The lights under the keys are on and can change the colors using the key in the upper right of the keyboard that look like a light.

The keyboard is:
Keychron K2 Pro (New)
Swappable RGB Backlit Aluminum
Brown Switch
I'm not sure I understand what your problem is.
You said say cannot figure out how to turn on the backlight, yet you said the backlight comes on when you tap the "light" key in the top right corner.
If you want to change the pattern, repeatedly tap the light key - it cycles through all the different patterns, then returns to off.
If you want to change the color, use fn-right arrow or fn-left arrow to cycle through the different solid and rainbow colors.

fdw777

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2012
I'm not sure I understand what your problem is.
You said say cannot figure out how to turn on the backlight, yet you said the backlight comes on when you tap the "light" key in the top right corner.
If you want to change the pattern, repeatedly tap the light key - it cycles through all the different patterns, then returns to off.
If you want to change the color, use fn-right arrow or fn-left arrow to cycle through the different solid and rainbow colors.
Im new at this, so please be kind. I was expecting the actual letters numbers etc to light up so I could use the keyboard in the dark. However, if I take the keyboard in a dark room I can not see the keys (they are NOT illuminated), just the lights under the keys

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
Im new at this, so please be kind. I was expecting the actual letters numbers etc to light up so I could use the keyboard in the dark. However, if I take the keyboard in a dark room I can not see the keys (they are NOT illuminated), just the lights under the keys
I see. Now I understand.

The K2 Pro does not come with shine-through translucent keycaps. You'll have to order yourself a set (lots of manufacturers make them) if that's what you're after.

The non-Pro K-series does come with shine-through keycaps. The Q-series and the K Pro-series do not have translucent keycaps.

fdw777

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2012
The non-Pro K-series does come with shine-through keycaps. The Q-series and the K Pro-series do not have translucent keycaps.
Does the K3 low profile have the translucent keycaps. BTW, how does on know if they are or are not? Thanks

dotnet

macrumors 68000
Apr 10, 2015
Sydney, Australia

I, too, discovered this while researching Keychron models and options. I mean, what idiocy is that? Why have an illuminated keyboard if you still can’t read the keycaps in the dark??

Illuminated keys are the only reason I’m looking at Magic Keyboard alternatives, actually.

fdw777

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2012
I, too, discovered this while researching Keychron models and options. I mean, what idiocy is that? Why have an illuminated keyboard if you still can’t read the keycaps in the dark??

Illuminated keys are the only reason I’m looking at Magic Keyboard alternatives, actually.
Agreed...
I really love the KB but I want backlit KEYS, not just under the keycaps. IMHO, it should not be marketed as Backlit if the keys are dark at night, or in a poorly lighted room.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005

While I kind of agree, the material that the "Pro" keycaps are made of are a thicker, more durable material which produces a better sound and feel, which a lot of people who like custom-level mechanical keyboards are after. Producing shine-through keycaps in this PBT material is more expensive than the fully-built keyboard comes with (which is basically a $25 keycap set).

This is why Keychron sells the Q-series and K Pro-series as barebones kits, so you can buy separate key switches and keycaps to your liking. I'll also note that some of the better feeling keyswitches don't have translucent housings, which further diminishes the backlighting.

So, if strong backlighting is really important to you, you may want to consider the barebones kit and order switches you like that have transparent housings and get the keycap set you like.

Or forgo the K Pro/Q series and go with the standard K-series. Though you lose the ability to reprogram keys with VIA/QMK.

eltoslightfoot

macrumors 68020
Feb 25, 2011
Does the K3 low profile have the translucent keycaps. BTW, how does on know if they are or are not? Thanks
I mean it depends on what you mean? They are not translucent except for where the letter is. So I can see the “C” on the C key in the dark, but I don’t see the whole key. Just the “C”. If you scroll up I have a picture in this post somewhere recently.

tstafford

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2022
I have a K5 SE and it has shine thru. This was important to me as well. I would say that the feel on the K5 is not as nice as the K4 I had before. But the trade off is worth it to me - low profile, shine thru and adjustable feet.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
Agreed...
I really love the KB but I want backlit KEYS, not just under the keycaps. IMHO, it should not be marketed as Backlit if the keys are dark at night, or in a poorly lighted room.
I understand your disappointment, but in all fairness, the website does state (emphasis added):

The south-facing RGB LED is designed to better illuminate the keyboard backlight from the typist’s angle with the premium non-shine-through PBT keycaps installed. The south-facing RGB is also free from interference when the users install OEM or Cherry-profile alternative keycaps on the keyboard.

fdw777

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2012
I understand your disappointment, but in all fairness, the website does state (emphasis added):

The south-facing RGB LED is designed to better illuminate the keyboard backlight from the typist’s angle with the premium non-shine-through PBT keycaps installed. The south-facing RGB is also free from interference when the users install OEM or Cherry-profile alternative keycaps on the keyboard.

I just assumed the keys were going to be lit up "better illuminate the keyboard". Thank you so much for your help. Im going to give the KB a chance for a few days, I really like the feel of the keycaps.​

"South-facing RGB Lights​

The south-facing RGB is designed to better illuminate the keyboard backlight from the typist’s angle. The south-facing RGB is also free from interference when the user installs Cherry-profile alternative keycaps on their keyboard.

Comes with more than 22 types of RGB backlight settings (as well as a static white backlight option), and 14 types of backlight settings on the White Backlight version. You can further fine-tune the RGB hue, saturation, brightness, effect speed with ease."

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
After all, what else is there worth illuminating, other than the glyphs on the keycaps? Crumbs or coffee stains?
I get what you’re saying, but if you look around, shine-through keys are less common on high-end keyboards than you might otherwise think.

If you want some pudding caps or slide lit caps, go for it. With the Keychron keyboards, you get a full set of switches and keycaps for like only $10 more than barebones, so you’re not really out any significant cost. Remember, these are mean to be custom keyboards.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.