Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
It seems to me that the Keychron has "backlighting" and there isn't any real dispute to that. Member fdw777 had a different, incorrect expectation as to what that term means.

This particular model did not come with translucent symbols on the keys so luck was not with the OP.

Last edited:

dotnet

macrumors 68000
Apr 10, 2015
Sydney, Australia
I get what you’re saying, but if you look around, shine-through keys are less common on high-end keyboards than you might otherwise think.

They’re not the norm, but I expect them precisely on high-end keyboards. Heck, even the iPad Magic Keyboard I’m typing this on has them. Granted, it cost probably twice as much as the most expensive Keychron ;)

Like I said, lack of this feature is what keeps me from buying the Apple keyboard with Touch ID.

tstafford

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2022
They’re not the norm, but I expect them precisely on high-end keyboards. Heck, even the iPad Magic Keyboard I’m typing this on has them. Granted, it cost probably twice as much as the most expensive Keychron ;)

Like I said, lack of this feature is what keeps me from buying the Apple keyboard with Touch ID.
The lack of any backlight on the Apple keyboards is very strange. I like my Keychron K5 SE w/ shine thru.

Reactions: dotnet

fdw777

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2012
I ended up getting the K2 V2 so I could compare the two KB's together. I love the shine thru keycaps on the K2 V2 but typing on the K2 Pro is so much better in every way. Another thing about the K2 V2 is after 10 minutes of inactivity the KB loses BT connectivity to the Mac mini, however as soon as I touch a key within 2-3 seconds Im reconnected.
Here is a picture I took showing the difference at night.
K2 V2 (Top)
K2 Pro (Bottom)
(The only reason you can see the keys in the left photo is because of my camera lighting and monitor, in the second photo the camera flash and monitor is off)

Attachments

• IMG_0140.jpeg
    IMG_0140.jpeg
    309.3 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_0142.jpeg
    IMG_0142.jpeg
    264 KB · Views: 87
Last edited:
Reactions: BigMcGuire

fdw777

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2012
Can you swap the caps over to the K2 Pro, or won’t they fit?
Im sure they would fit. It's the feel of the keycaps on the K2 Pro that is so good. If the K2 Pro's keycaps were shine thru that would be a winner for me anyway.

FFabian

macrumors regular
Aug 26, 2010
Bochum, Germany
These guys are releasing a new keyboard like every couple weeks these days!
I wish that would include the K2 Pro or K3 Pro ISO layout variants.
Another thing about the K2 V2 is after 10 minutes of inactivity the KB loses BT connectivity to the Mac mini
Thats the “auto sleep mode” that turns on to save battery. You can permanently disable it by pressing fn+s+o for 3 seconds.

Last edited:

StellarVixen

macrumors 68040
Mar 1, 2018
Somewhere between 0 and 1
Keychron released the Q12, a keyboard with the num pad on the left.
View attachment 2158529
Just bought myself one to replace my K4 at the office. I’m (mostly) right handed but mouse space on the right is limited on my desk at work, so this will fit the bill nicely. And fortunately I’m competent at punching numbers with my left hand.

Looking forward to receiving it.

These guys are releasing a new keyboard like every couple weeks these days!
My mind says "yes" but my left hand says "no". Shame...

JTK Awesome

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2022
Boston, MA, USA
Chiclet key switches (Cherry, Gateron, etc.) are lame and so are any “mechanical” keyboards that use them - Keychron, DAS, etc.

Buckling Spring - accept no substitute. Unicomp unfortunately discontinued their Mac keyboard. I hope mine lasts forever.

A distant second are the ALPS switches in Matias’ clicky (not quiet) keyboard. Hopefully their 60% Keyboard - which finally ditches the decade-old Mac OS X Lion special key layout - makes it to production.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
Chiclet key switches (Cherry, Gateron, etc.) are lame and so are any “mechanical” keyboards that use them - Keychron, DAS, etc.

Buckling Spring - accept no substitute. Unicomp unfortunately discontinued their Mac keyboard. I hope mine lasts forever.

A distant second are the ALPS switches in Matias’ clicky (not quiet) keyboard. Hopefully their 60% Keyboard - which finally ditches the decade-old Mac OS X Lion special key layout - makes it to production.
I had a Matias keyboard way back in the day. Got lost moving from one house to another somehow and never turned up. Definitely had a good feel to it, but I think it's been surpassed by modern mechanicals to be honest, especially with some the specialty switches now available. Plus, the plastic case is pretty horrible. And it's also behind the times given lack of QMK/VIA support.

My Q12 should arrive next week and will be modified with a set of Gateron Baby Kangaroo tactile switches, and a new set of PBT keycaps (plus we'll see what it needs insofar as case dampening and such).

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
(Replaced original picture with a better one)

My Q12 was delivered today and I did some modifications - new keycaps, new switches (Gateron Baby Kangaroo heavy tactiles), added 2mm poron foam to the bottom of the case, redid force break mod (keyboard comes with 1mm silicon standoffs on the lower case, but added additional pieces of fabric electrical tape). Was also going to do the usual tape mod but looks like they're doing it now from the factory with a single large piece of tape cut to fit and attached to the back of the PCB.

I'm a very happy camper.

I was going to take this to the office and use it on my PC there, but I think I'm going to leave it here at home and keep it on my Mac. I'll take my Q5 to the office instead (which is currently on my work-from-home PC), and put the Q1 from my Mac on my WFH PC.
IMG_2053.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: eltoslightfoot

lentilledior

macrumors newbie
Jan 24, 2023
I have bought my first proper mechanical keyboard the new K4Pro.

I have several macs and some modestly priced logitech keyboards. The K4Pro is a heavy beast in comparison!

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
I have bought my first proper mechanical keyboard the new K4Pro.

I have several macs and some modestly priced logitech keyboards. The K4Pro is a heavy beast in comparison!
I hope you enjoy it!

Use it as-is for a while, but don't be afraid to consider upgrades like better keycaps and switches. They can turn a really good keyboard in to an amazing keyboard.

Reactions: AlphaCentauri

BrownyQ

macrumors 6502
Dec 13, 2021
USA
I figured I'd also join the picture sharing club of the home desk set up.

Attachments

• IMG_5706 Large.png
    IMG_5706 Large.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 76
Reactions: maflynn

JTK Awesome

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2022
Boston, MA, USA
Decided to give my home office a makeover, set aside my Unicomp keyboards for now, and get a two-keyboard bundle from Amazon. I have a K8 for the Mac and K10 for my work computer (Windows). They are well made, sleek keyboards, and amazing value for the money.

The only frustration is the microphone key. There’s no way to make it do anything other than register as a Space in macOS. At least not without having to install Karabiner, which would be overkill for me. (I wish I could activate Cortana with the microphone key on my Windows machine, but of course corporate IT has it too locked down to do much of anything.) I don’t know why that key is even there or why Keycron is silent about it in their support.

I am missing my buckling springs so someday I’ll upgrade these keyboards to Cherry MX green. I know it’s not the same but it’s the closest you can get in terms of feedback (sound and feel).

Reactions: transmaster

BrownyQ

macrumors 6502
Dec 13, 2021
USA
I like your keyboard's color combo.
It's the stock C1 keys, nothing special.

I've considered investing in a set of yellow keycaps to better fit the theme I have at my desk (yellow being my favorite color), but I haven't found a set I truly love.

At least the stock grey keycaps invoke the classic keyboards of old.

transmaster

Contributor
Feb 1, 2010
Cheyenne, Wyoming
This is very interesting. I am a noob with Apple I just setup a Mac Studio a maxed out M1 Max version. I have not had an Apple computer since 1985. I purchased a totally unsatisfactory Apple Magic Keyboard clone, switched my logitech G613 over from the PC to use for now. I installed Karabiner-Element but with this keyboard it does not completely remap it for Mac. I am now trying to figure out what to do for a keyboard. I spent years clattering away on the IBM Type M keyboards so I like noise. I am very picky about keyboards. I like full sized one and I do use the number pad. Chiclet Keys I am going to remember that description. I will be looking at the Keychron's.

transmaster

Contributor
Feb 1, 2010
Cheyenne, Wyoming
Just ordered the Keychron K10 full sized with RGB. It has the brown switches which are not as loud as the blue switches but I don't have any backstabbing RN's to piss off anymore.;) I was clued into the hot swappable switches by some gamer friends of mine. I like this idea. Will have the Keyboard next Wednesday.

Thanks for the info. 👍👌

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
Decided to give my home office a makeover, set aside my Unicomp keyboards for now, and get a two-keyboard bundle from Amazon. I have a K8 for the Mac and K10 for my work computer (Windows). They are well made, sleek keyboards, and amazing value for the money.

The only frustration is the microphone key. There’s no way to make it do anything other than register as a Space in macOS. At least not without having to install Karabiner, which would be overkill for me. (I wish I could activate Cortana with the microphone key on my Windows machine, but of course corporate IT has it too locked down to do much of anything.) I don’t know why that key is even there or why Keycron is silent about it in their support.

I am missing my buckling springs so someday I’ll upgrade these keyboards to Cherry MX green. I know it’s not the same but it’s the closest you can get in terms of feedback (sound and feel).
If you go with something like the K Pro series (or V series or Q series), you can rebind the Mic key (or any other keys you want) to any key or key combo you want without having to install any additional software like Karabiner. And since there's no extra software to install, your corporate IT policy can't lock it out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.