Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
I don't have enough addictions so I'm thinking about crossing over to the mechanical keyboard world. Currently using an MX Keys which I like a heck of a lot better than the Apple Magic Keyboard which I also have on my desk so I can use the TouchID.

Requirements for me are backlit, numeric keypad and wireless. Considering the Keychron K4 Pro, RGB backlight, brown switches. (On AMZN for $99 and one day shipping) Is this a good entry point in to mechanical keyboards? Without the ability to test a bunch of them I'm kind of guessing.

Any recommendations and advice would be welcomed.
The K4 Pro would certainly be a good and inexpensive intro.

One thing to be aware of -- the keycaps on the K4 Pro are not shine-through. While there is backlighting on the keyboard, the light will not shine through the keycaps.

If you want/need keycaps that are backlit, consider the K4 v2 (not the Pro):

Or there are other similar models if you don't need the numeric keypad (plus a full-sized K10 if you prefer a full layout to the 96% layout of the K4).

If you go with one of the "regular" K-series, do note the aluminum case option for some models -- they have a more solid feel, but it will likely reduce your Bluetooth range. If you need best possible BT connection, then go with the normal plastic case. I have an aluminum-cased RGB backlit K4 v2 with tactile brown switches in my office at work -- it's a great intro mechanical keyboard with backlit keys and shine-through keycaps, but I use it in wired mode, so I can't comment on the strength of the Bluetooth connection through the aluminum case.

As an alternative, you can purchase the K4 Pro but buy 3rd party shine-through keycaps and replace the stock keycaps that the K4 Pro comes with.

tstafford

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2022
The K4 Pro would certainly be a good and inexpensive intro.

One thing to be aware of -- the keycaps on the K4 Pro are not shine-through. While there is backlighting on the keyboard, the light will not shine through the keycaps.

If you want/need keycaps that are backlit, consider the K4 v2 (not the Pro):

Or there are other similar models if you don't need the numeric keypad (plus a full-sized K10 if you prefer a full layout to the 96% layout of the K4).

If you go with one of the "regular" K-series, do note the aluminum case option for some models -- they have a more solid feel, but it will likely reduce your Bluetooth range. If you need best possible BT connection, then go with the normal plastic case. I have an aluminum-cased RGB backlit K4 v2 with tactile brown switches in my office at work -- it's a great intro mechanical keyboard with backlit keys and shine-through keycaps, but I use it in wired mode, so I can't comment on the strength of the Bluetooth connection through the aluminum case.

As an alternative, you can purchase the K4 Pro but buy 3rd party shine-through keycaps and replace the stock keycaps that the K4 Pro comes with.
Thank you very much. I'm glad you mentioned the key cap shine thru thing, that would probably have bugged me. Looking at their website I can get the aluminum K4 V2 for $99. The more solid feel sounds nice and I am using it at less than two feet from my Studio so I would think the BT would be fine (I don't want to run wired). Looks like the difference b/w the K4 V2 and Pro is the programability which is unimportant to me.

Edit: LOL. The K4 V2 is what I had in my AMZN cart.

Reactions: xraydoc

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
Thank you very much. I'm glad you mentioned the key cap shine thru thing, that would probably have bugged me. Looking at their website I can get the aluminum K4 V2 for $99. The more solid feel sounds nice and I am using it at less than two feet from my Studio so I would think the BT would be fine (I don't want to run wired). Looks like the difference b/w the K4 V2 and Pro is the programability which is unimportant to me.

Edit: LOL. The K4 V2 is what I had in my AMZN cart.
Report back when you receive it and tell us what you think.

My current Mac keyboard is a modified Keychron Q1 (original version 1 with new keycaps, replaced case foam, case force break mod, and PCB tape mod), and my home work PC has a bascially stock Q5 knob version with a couple of color-swapped keycaps.

You're going to love typing on a nice keyboard!

tstafford

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2022
Report back when you receive it and tell us what you think.

My current Mac keyboard is a modified Keychron Q1 (original version 1 with new keycaps, replaced case foam, case force break mod, and PCB tape mod), and my home work PC has a bascially stock Q5 knob version with a couple of color-swapped keycaps.

You're going to love typing on a nice keyboard!
Thanks for your help. Ordered and should be here tomorrow. I'll for sure post what I think.

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
Thanks for your help. Ordered and should be here tomorrow. I'll for sure post what I think.
I hope it works for you well!

My K5 SE will NOT connect properly to my Mac Studio via Bluetooth. I emailed them about this and they wanted me to produce a video demonstrating the issue. I declined as it was never my intention to use it with Bluetooth…lucky for me. From what I've read it's likely an issue with the Mac. I did have to buy another USB-C cable with a right-angle plug because of desk space considerations.

I have also emailed them and asked if it's possible to make the keycaps blue "ON" LED (above the number pad) brighter. For me it's not bright enough and therefore not noticeable. But just now, typing this, I'm thinking it might be better if I change my backlighting to something other than blue. I'll have to test that when I get home.

Conversely, I found the battery and Bluetooth light TOO bright…but a piece of black electrical tape worked perfectly for that issue.

tstafford

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2022
I hope it works for you well!

My K5 SE will NOT connect properly to my Mac Studio via Bluetooth. I emailed them about this and they wanted me to produce a video demonstrating the issue. I declined as it was never my intention to use it with Bluetooth…lucky for me. From what I've read it's likely an issue with the Mac. I did have to buy another USB-C cable with a right-angle plug because of desk space considerations.

I have also emailed them and asked if it's possible to make the keycaps blue "ON" LED (above the number pad) brighter. For me it's not bright enough and therefore not noticeable. But just now, typing this, I'm thinking it might be better if I change my backlighting to something other than blue. I'll have to test that when I get home.

Conversely, I found the battery and Bluetooth light TOO bright…but a piece of black electrical tape worked perfectly for that issue.
Thanks for the tips. Part of the reason I chose to buy on AMZN eventhough I could have saved a bit on eBay - I want the easy return if I don't like it. BT dropouts will kill it for me. My MX Keys is very solid on BT and perfect on the "unifying receiver". (I suppose another option might be the MX Keys Mechanical if I love the feel of the Keychron but not the performance - time will tell)

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
The Q0 Plus numeric keypad...

IMG_2041.JPG
IMG_2042.JPG

Case color isn't a perfect match, but I've got a much older original model Q1 (replaced the keycaps with the Keychron OSA caps), so I wasn't expecting it to be a good match. But it's close enough for me, and honestly hard to tell that it's different in the lighting I usually work in anyway.

Now to set up some macros....!

tstafford

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2022
As promised coming back and providing my newbie take on mechanical keyboards. And yes, it is plural.

K4 V2: Unfortunately I didn't love it. Returned it. I probably could have gotten used to it but why bother? I definitely liked the sound/feel of the keys and the chassis is top notch. Thought the RGB backlight was a little over the top. Plus, a big surprise to me, but the 96% size felt cramped. But the killer was the height. Coming off the MX Keys (non-mech) it felt like Mt. Everest (no interest in a palm rest).

K5 SE - Figured since I liked the sound and feel of the K4, I'd try a K5. Chose the SE because of the adjustable feet that angle it. I'm glad I did as I have them set at the highest of the three positions. I definitely like the K5. It's still slightly taller than the MX on the front side but I've adjusted to it quickly. I prefer the white backlight and the larger overall size. It seems a bit quieter than the K4 (I chose brown mechanical switches again) and the keys seem to require a slight bit more pressure.

Overall it's a big difference moving to a mechanical keyboard. I switched back to the MX Keys during the time b/w the K4 and K5 and already missed the far superior feel. I think I'm now spoiled by mechanical . . .

klky

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2015
My first Keychron was the K8 Pro with brown switches. I enjoyed using it but found the height of the board a little high. I eventually got used to it but when the K3 Pro with lower profile was announced, it sparked my interest. I finally picked it up today and immediately felt at home. No doubt this is due to having used Macs for so many years. I opted again for brown switches as I love the feel and sound of them. The K3 Pro being low profile is in fact a little quieter than the K8 Pro which I actually prefer. The only hiccup was I couldn't get the VIA software to load the json file for the K3 Pro but all I wanted to do was map F1/F2 to adjust brightness as it doesn't do this out of the box. It otherwise works if you press ctrl+F1/F2 so that will suffice for now. Overall very happy with the K3 Pro!

k3p.jpg

Last edited:

tstafford

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2022
My first Keychron was the K8 Pro with brown switches. I enjoyed using it but found the height of the board a little high. I eventually got used to it but when the K3 Pro with lower profile was announced, it sparked my interest. I finally picked it up today and immediately felt at home. No doubt this is due to having used Macs for so many years. I opted again for brown switches as I love the feel and sound of them. The K3 Pro being low profile is in fact a little quieter than the K8 Pro which I actually prefer. The only hiccup was I couldn't get the VIA software to load the json file for the K3 Pro but all I wanted to do was map F1/F2 to adjust brightness as it doesn't do this out of the box. It otherwise works if you press ctrl+F1/F2 so that will suffice for now. Overall very happy with the K3 Pro!
That's interesting - FWIW: The K5 SE F1/F2 keys operate the brightness out of the box.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
Yeah…the K5s have a Mac/Win switch on the back.
There’s no Mac/Win switch?
Klky - If not, try using the web-based Via app (instead of the macOS app). I have had success using the web version on my Keychron Q-series keyboards. Must use something Chromium-based, however (Chrome, Edge). Doesn’t work with Safari as far as I can tell.

Reactions: klky

klky

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2015
There’s no Mac/Win switch?
Klky - If not, try using the web-based Via app (instead of the macOS app). I have had success using the web version on my Keychron Q-series keyboards. Must use something Chromium-based, however (Chrome, Edge). Doesn’t work with Safari as far as I can tell.

Both the K8 Pro and K3 Pro have Mac/Win switches but neither adjust brightness using F1/F2 out of the box. I've not tried the web based VIA app as the only thing I would really do is map the F1/F2 keys. The current workaround is to simply press ctrl+F1/F2 so not a big deal at all. Thanks.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
Both the K8 Pro and K3 Pro have Mac/Win switches but neither adjust brightness using F1/F2 out of the box. I've not tried the web based VIA app as the only thing I would really do is map the F1/F2 keys. The current workaround is to simply press ctrl+F1/F2 so not a big deal at all. Thanks.
So weird. All my Keychron keyboards map the Mac function keys properly.

klky

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2015
So weird. All my Keychron keyboards map the Mac function keys properly.

I wonder if it's because the K8 Pro and K3 Pro were relatively newer models when I got them? Or something to do with the Pro line, ironic as that is?

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
I wonder if it's because the K8 Pro and K3 Pro were relatively newer models when I got them? Or something to do with the Pro line, ironic as that is?
Perhaps I suppose, but my Q1 and Q5 function properly on my Mac (though the Q5 lives on a Windows PC).

fdw777

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2012

View attachment 2153443
Just ordered the K2 Pro from Amazon should be delivered Tuesday. I bought from Amazon just in case I didn't like the keyboard for easy returns. This will be my first Keychron mechanical KB, plan to use it to switch between 2 MacMini's and a MBP 14". Any advice on setting up the KB and tips and tricks???
BTW, what's the difference between the K3 Pro and the one I ordered K2 Pro?
Thank you!

Reactions: eltoslightfoot

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
Just ordered the K2 Pro from Amazon should be delivered Tuesday. I bought from Amazon just in case I didn't like the keyboard for easy returns. This will be my first Keychron mechanical KB, plan to use it to switch between 2 MacMini's and a MBP 14". Any advice on setting up the KB and tips and tricks???
Thank you!
K2 Pro is a standard-height mechanical. The K3 Pro is a low-profile mechanical keyboard (flatter, like the MX Keys Mechanical). Both have the same layout (so-called 75% layout).

Difference is personal preference, but replacement keycaps and switches (if you so choose) are far easier to come by for standard size keyboards, though some low-profile one are still available.

klky

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2015
Thank you!

The K2 Pro also comes with Keychron K Pro switches versus Gateron switches on the K3 Pro. I have no experience with Keychron K Pro switches but my understanding is that they're quite similar. In any event, the K2 Pro is hot swappable meaning you can change out the switches if you wish.

The K2 Pro also has south facing lights versus north facing on the K3 Pro. Personally I don't use the lights but south facing is more visible for what it's worth.

I also considered the K2 Pro but having the K8 Pro, I wanted to try the lower profile of the K3 Pro. No real tips or tricks per se. It works pretty much perfectly out of the box. I reckon you'll be super happy with the K2 Pro!

tstafford

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2022
Thank you!
Couple of questions:
  • Did you order the aluminum or plastic version?
  • What keyboard are you coming off of?
FWIW - I did more or less the same thing. Bought a K4 V2 (I want number pad) from AMZN. I returned it for two reasons - didn't like the height and found it a bit cramped (96% size). I switched (also on AMZN) to a K5 SE.

I enjoyed the K5 SE . I was coming off the MX Keys and didn't want to adjust to a keyboard as tall as the K4 nor do I want a wrist pad. But like others said, totally personal. I like the shine through backlight and the adjustable feet (allows one to adjust the angle of the keyboard).

Looking at the K2 Pro - one thing very nice with that one will be the ability to program/map the keys (K5 SE doesn't have that). It's a minor thing for me but I miss having a single key to lock the Mac - I'd program that for sure if I could. Another comment - the K4 V2 I had was fully aluminum and that was impressive. The keyboard had a much more solid feel than the K5 SE. I would go aluminum if I could but Keychron doesn't make an all aluminum low-profile.

StellarVixen

macrumors 68040
Mar 1, 2018
Somewhere between 0 and 1
Here's what I currently have for keycaps - from drop.com. Susuwatari

Its an MT3 style keycap and as I was putting the keycaps on, I was having some significant doubts, its a higher profile keycap with deeper finger indents, but now that I've been using it for about a month, its good.
View attachment 2156450
I love those keycaps. It reminds me of keycaps from those old IBM beamspring keyboards.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.